Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

I agree with you that kids are paying the price for adults’ incompetence but I would lay the blame at the door of certain NPHET members who are ignoring the experts in measures such as improved ventilation. Even Luke O’Neill, generally optimistic, was shaking his head in disbelief today on Newstalk with Pat Kenny, there’s a clip online somewhere. He clearly believes, as do so many others, that ventilation should have been addressed long before masks were considered. MM and SD and NF and the rest just parrot off the ‘Public Health advice tells us’ line ad nauseum, and in a way you can see why, they have no personal expertise in these areas. They need something to hang their hat on. It’s just unfortunate that some of those whose opinions they follow seem to have a blank spot around ventilation. The worrying thing is that this points to certain members of NPHET and AMRIC not having accepted the international consensus that Covid 19 is an airborne disease with aerosol transmission. This has serious implications for all of their recommendations to government.

The bottom line here is, air filters for every classroom would cost the government about 12 million. Parents pay for masks.

As an aside, last night the government voted to give 17 million in funding to the Greyhound racing industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

government would prefer spend money topping up the state pension or other cheap exercises in vote harvesting , as usual in this country , the young are the least important and the population are fine with it

parents should take to the streets and demand that filters are installed in every school in the country , seeing as opposing masks isnt respectable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

other poster said " no one objects to proven safety measures "

making driving illegal is a sure fire way to prevent death , all death should be prevented , covid has taught us this understood principle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't see how, this thread is all about risk, crossing the road outside the school has a far greater risk of serious injury and death than Covid would to a primary schooler - banning cars must be the conclusion so if risk minimisation is the goal.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I walk a grandchild to school and today the irony struck me . The over 9.s asked to wear masks while at the same time they have not replaced a sick Lollypop lady for months .The kids cross a dangerous road to get to school and twice a day face a far greater risk than Covid .But no one has addressed this issue since Mid September and parents have to try get kids safely across this road and help other kids get safely across . Now I understand it is two different departments but we all noticed the irony of the situation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Wife works in a Letterkenny school only 11 of 29 pupils in today with 3 confirmed cases but according to the government it's kids parties not schools that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭mullinr2

And what do you suggest to do. Close the schools again. Give me a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Acey10

I'm subbing in schools atm and the staffroom today was full of talk about schools closing the 10th or 17th December instead of the 22nd.. I really hope they don't close them after Christmas.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deeec

Its the same in my kids school - lots of kids out sick. It doesnt necessarily mean they have covid though. Colds etc are spreading rapidly too and as we all know we must keep our kids at home if they show any symptoms. Kids are picking up every bug and virus going this year - its not just covid.

People hearing high absense's from schools are wrongly jumping to the conclusion that all the kids out must have covid! - which isnt the case at all. Since us parents are no longer notified when there is a case in our kids classes I ask my kids daily what kids are out in their classes - high numbers are out sick but kids are back to school in 2/3/4 days. Luckily no kids have been out for 2 weeks - I know we are very lucky with this as its not the case in every school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

There has recently been three cases in my sons classroom. None of kids were sick, the parents initially caught cases via antigen testing. On some days this year there has been over half the class missing, but most of them had colds and were back after a couple of days. My son has missed at least 12 days of school this year due to colds. Every family I know is having same issue. Kids are missing loads of school and the ones susceptible to colds are catching repeated colds one after another. My own son hasn’t caught this many bugs since he first started in crèche all those years ago. It makes me wonder if lockdown had an effect on his immune system.

Its not just covid going around right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I've heard the talk of schools closing the 17th in my school too, but I recall the same thing last year. Doubt it'll happen.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I'd rather they closed early and reopened on time after Christmas.

However I still expect the same media circus of "will they /won't they/should they/shouldn't they" in the first week of January.It is absolute Groundhog day at this stage, you can write the script.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Same rumours last year.

Some schools will be doing exams up until the 22nd so if they were true you'd think that would be communicated early next week.

It won't happen but they can't just drop an announcement to close at the last minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭pah

A better analogy is seatbelts. Cars drive around the road all the time without crashing but when they do would you not prefer your child to be wearing a seatbelt?

Just incase anyone is taken in by this nonsense, have a read about the CEO of the Principa Scientific International. Amongst other things he is a climate change denier. Put bluntly this organisation is not reputable and is peddling rubbish.

Climate deniers and anti-vax. Not scientists.

https://www.desmog.com/principia-scientific-international/

From the link:

In 2013, PSI also began to promote unfounded claims that wind turbines make people sick and that childhood vaccines were “one of the largest most evil lies in history.” [9]

Here is a study conducted by the Centre for Disease Control in America. It reports on the effectiveness of mask wearing in schools. They work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Yep, main thread is also unreadable due to downright stupidity. Indistinguishable from the anti-everything paranoid insights of the facebook fools.

Genuine question, do mods not get alerts about reported posts anymore or have they taken a different approach to moderation now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

They're having massive trouble seeing reports ever since they updated the site. I'm having a similar issue on another section of the forum where trolling and clear rule breaches most of the time go unpunished.

Oh ok I actually hadn't realised that there was an issue, I thought it was some sort of weird policy change and was wondering why so much was being let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Heard some news reports on rte yesterday from South Africa stating there was a large spike in children getting hospitalised with this Omicron variant, hopefully that's not true and is just bullshit pushing kids to get vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,722 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

With all due respect, there are far too many unqualified idiots embedded in social media threads.

Idiots throwing out all sorts of ‘claims’ and ‘theories’ and ‘ ‘conspiracies’ with nothing whatsoever to back them up, and no qualifications to even give their rubbish the slightest veneer of credibility.

I will always take the qualified opinion over that of grunts just horsing out bulldust for the sake of it.

That would seem to be common sense, even if I don’t like what the qualified opinion is at times.

We need to realise that there seems to be a rump of the hard right well embedded out there who’s agenda is to shout down everyone.

Media have ,in my opinion, huge influence in all this, RTE attacking everything, newspapers with lurid headlines to attract idiots who are ‘click baited’ to buy them.

Very little positivity, very little balance, the hurler on the ditch being supported over those who are in the trenches fighting.

I despair a bit for this country, to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭political analyst

The Taoiseach has rejected the 12 million euro claim. He said the installation of a HEPA filter in every classroom in the country would have cost 80 million euro.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-11-30/3/#spk_220

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭M_Murphy57

Better to spend that money paying panto actors to be on the dole for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Or spending million on a huge poster with Level 1-6 in full colour for every household .

Yeh that went well didnt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭political analyst

I don't think the performing arts got up to 80 million euro, to be honest!

• Advertisement

Youre right, Catherine Martin said there was 25 million in the pot for them.

Not an unsubstantial amount all the same.

Advertisement