Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The number of days it pisses rain like it did this weekend is actually very small. There's no need to stick a roof over every yard. Send the kids out in the rain, there's no need for the mollycoddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Aleppo_rex wrote: »
    Is Micheal Martin going to pay to roof every school yard in the country then? Schools are terribly underfunded esp. When it comes to general purpose halls and PE equipment.

Government will have to invest in the kids physical education at some stage.

There is an easy win situation here, get gaa officers into schools and do activities with the kids. Alot of schools do this.

Our kids school gets in officers from soccer, gaa, cricket and athletics over the year to take the PE classes. It takes the pressure off the teachers, as some teachers are just not into sport which is ok. All the above is done outside and manages to happen most weeks!!

Uniform was dumped this year in our kids schools also, they wore the school tracksuit instead. This brought more flexibility into when they can exercise.
    Continuing with the tracksuits next year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I think all primary kids should be in school tracksuits every day. So much more comfy for them to run around in at lunchtime, and I just don't see the point of buttoned up shirts and tights and all that in children so young. It's like a hangover from the 1940's.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

JDD wrote: »
    I think all primary kids should be in school tracksuits every day. So much more comfy for them to run around in at lunchtime, and I just don't see the point of buttoned up shirts and tights and all that in children so young. It's like a hangover from the 1940's.

Not just kids. I am in a tracksuit all the time since working from home:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Our Primary have given the option of wearing the Tracksuit full-time since last September.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

Our primary never worries if kids wears the tracksuit every day even before this most of them wear them all the time. I hope I get to see my 5th class daughter in a uniform before she finishes (prob graduation, confirmation or if there's school photo with her little sister next year!)
    Which is gas because in secondary she'll only want to wear those big long skirts like all the girls do (even though they allowed wear trousers!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I gave up with the uniform, it wasnt enforced so now I buy the tracksuit only and he wears it every day.

I do think a PE teacher would be beneficial. It would be great for teachers to have periods of time during the week they could do paperwork or lesson plan while their class was off at another subject. Not all teachers enjoy or are even good at PE. We should be playing to peoples strengths.
    Great for the kids too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Be interesting to see where the time comes from for all this additional PE. Curriculum is overloaded as is.

Be interesting to see where the time comes from for all this additional PE. Curriculum is overloaded as is.

June/July:P

So, my 9 year old daughter has been sick with a cough for two weeks.

She got a covid test right at the start, and it was negative.

Every year it's the same story, since she started in creche at 12 months. She gets a cold, it goes to her chest. It's not bacterial, so antibiotics are useless. Sometimes she can have the cough for six weeks or two months. She's perfectly healthy otherwise, feels fine, other than the annoying cough. She doesn't appear to be contagious - two of us caught the cold but are over it now and didn't get the cough.

The school have told me that she can't go back to school until she is two days free of symptoms, even if covid negative. She was only back at the end of March, and had two weeks off for Easter, and now two weeks off because she's "sick" (even though she isn't really) and could possibly be off for another two or three weeks.

Is there anything I can do here? I understand keeping someone out with a cough, even with a negative test, in case the test was taken too early and it ultimately turns into covid. But we're over two weeks into this cough now. Would they take her back if we got a second negative test? Or a note from her doctor or something?

She is one of those rare kids who loves school and she misses her friends. She's going mental at home.

• Advertisement

Every year it's the same story, since she started in creche at 12 months. She gets a cold, it goes to her chest. It's not bacterial, so antibiotics are useless. Sometimes she can have the cough for six weeks or two months. She's perfectly healthy otherwise, feels fine, other than the annoying cough. She doesn't appear to be contagious - two of us caught the cold but are over it now and didn't get the cough.

The school have told me that she can't go back to school until she is two days free of symptoms, even if covid negative. She was only back at the end of March, and had two weeks off for Easter, and now two weeks off because she's "sick" (even though she isn't really) and could possibly be off for another two or three weeks.

Is there anything I can do here? I understand keeping someone out with a cough, even with a negative test, in case the test was taken too early and it ultimately turns into covid. But we're over two weeks into this cough now. Would they take her back if we got a second negative test? Or a note from her doctor or something?

She is one of those rare kids who loves school and she misses her friends. She's going mental at home.

Maybe ask the School if they would accept a 2nd negative Test now. Was she ok during the 1st Test (not upset)?
    Also, talk to the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Funny re vaccines, the roll out of the HPV vaccine to all girls in First year and now boys has been very successful. This too is a 'new' vaccine and is broadly welcomed

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Maybe ask the School if they would accept a 2nd negative Test now. Was she ok during the 1st Test (not upset)?
    Also, talk to the GP.

She was grand - couldn't understand what the fuss was about. They only do the nasal swab with kids, and she said it was ticklish and no big deal. She'd be happy enough to take a second test.

I might see what the school says alright before I ring the GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Isn't it suppose to be a "new cough".

Get a second neg test and email it to the school and send her in.

My own son has similar issues, border line asthma and allergies so its common for him to have coughs throughout the year. I emailed the school and explained the situ and it hasnt been an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Exactly. Funny how there's always a big show and dance about giving more time to one subject and very little about what other subject will lose time for it.

Out of interest, what subject would you sacrifice time in to fit in more PE? Or would you extend the school day? Genuine question.

My six year old now has PE three days a week instead of the usual two. They've been told that they may or may not get PE on a Friday (the third day) - it depends on whether they get all their other work for the week done. So I can see where the pressure lies.

Personally I'd sacrifice Irish. I'm not anti-Irish, but for the majority of Irish people the manner in which Irish is taught in school does not result in a good understanding of the language. Maybe if you did the extra PE session through Irish you'd kill two birds with the one stone??:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Out of interest, what subject would you sacrifice time in to fit in more PE? Or would you extend the school day? Genuine question.
    Religion.

Don't need RE more than one day a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I had a similar situation a couple of weeks ago but refused point blank to send her for a pcr test as it wasn't Covid, had a doctor certify her as healthy and gave her two home antigen tests just to be sure, she's still got a cough but went back in the following Monday. So 4 days out in total and no pcr tests required, just a doctor and good old dose of stubbornness.

The reason I didn't send her for the pcr tests is 2 fold, she didn't have it and there's no guarantee a bank or insurance company may use it against her in the future.

You need to throw it up to these covid cultist, you know she doesn't have it stand your ground with the endorsement of a doctor, they're well aware of the nonsense creches/schools are up to sending kids for pcr tests when they clearly don't have it and hiding behind guidelines they don't even understand claiming that's the rules.

The reason I didn't send her for the pcr tests is 2 fold, she didn't have it and there's no guarantee a bank or insurance company may use it against her in the future.

Really??

This requires elaboration

• Advertisement

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Really??

Yes really, we've no idea how financial institutions are going to react, they've already been called out for refusing mortgage protection insurance for people confirmed to have Covid.
    What I'm noticing a bit as well is the question is moving from have you had Covid to have you ever had a Covid test.
    It's antigen tests all the way in this house, keeping out of the HSE loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Yes really, we've no idea how financial institutions are going to react, they've already been called out for refusing mortgage protection insurance for people confirmed to have Covid.
    What I'm noticing a bit as well is the question is moving from have you had Covid to have you ever had a Covid test.

What are you on about?

Are you talking about yourself or your child ?
    If your child, surely that's a bit extreme to be thinking about Banks and Insurance questions in many years time ??

I have had 3 of the diseases that they now routinely vaccinate kids against when I was a child and have never been asked anything in that kind of scenario.

What are you on about?

Absolute nobody knows the long term effects this virus has on some people, it's entirely plausible that it can an issue in the future. Why take a gamble when there's no need.
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2021/03/24/insurers-refusing-mortgage-protection-cover-because-of-covid/

What are you on about?

The usual anti establishment paranoia

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

As enthralling as it is, drunkmonkey is going to corroborate his opinion to me via PM and isnt going to post in this thread in the meantime until im convinced.

@drunkmonkey; dont post in this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

fwiw;

I applied for a mortgage recently and covid came up a few times. have you ever had covid, are you on a covid payment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

We had that question for mortgage protection policy- if you’re covid positive you have to delay your application, but if you had it and recovered it’s fine

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Baggly wrote:
    @drunkmonkey; dont post in this thread again.

Mod

Lifted after discussion via PM. I took up the doctor piece wrong and as clarified by others on thread, the insurance thing is while people are at risk of dying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Absolute nobody knows the long term effects this virus has on some people, it's entirely plausible that it can an issue in the future. Why take a gamble when there's no need.
    https://www.oceanfm.ie/2021/03/24/insurers-refusing-mortgage-protection-cover-because-of-covid/

I'm confused as to why that would stop you getting tested?

Advertisement