Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

funnydoggy wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0429/1212724-vaccine-world-moderna/

Schools will be covered soon once this is approved :)

There were many other choices that could have been taken before this to make schools safe but government were interested. All they are trying to do is get to summer holidays without dealing with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

khalessi wrote: »
    There were many other choices that could have been taken before this to make schools safe but government were interested. All they are trying to do is get to summer holidays without dealing with issues.

exactly, kick the can down the road and pray for a miracle strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Will parents vaccinate their kids?

khalessi wrote: »

Since children returned to schools, the 14 day incidence rate in kids has fallen by 13%.
    The overall incidence rate has fallen 45% and the hospital rate has fallen by 71%.
    By any measure the reopening of schools has been very successful. The rest of society can now follow suit with the rapidly accelerating vaccine programme meaning that it will be a good summer and is likely we never have to return to widespread public health measures due to covid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Darwin

Since children returned to schools, the 14 day incidence rate in kids has fallen by 13%.
    The overall incidence rate has fallen 45% and the hospital rate has fallen by 71%.
    By any measure the reopening of schools has been very successful. The rest of society can now follow suit with the rapidly accelerating vaccine programme meaning that it will be a good summer and is likely we never have to return to widespread public health measures due to covid

You forgot to mention that cases have actually risen in all categories of children and teenagers if we look at the data from April 7th:

7/04/2021 up to midnight on 20/04/202
    0-4 yrs 324
    5-12 yrs 642
    13-18 yrs 486

14/04/2021 up to midnight on 27/04/202

0-4 yrs 361
    5-12 yrs 662
    13-18 yrs 665

and that's just what we know about - there is no proactive testing in schools like other EU countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

jrosen wrote: »

My kids received the flu vaccine last year so if available for COVID then yes I will anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Yes, we will have both Kids vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Same as any vaccination program, some will, some won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Darwin

Two of the schools in the town where my wife works have had Covid outbreaks, now it's in her school. HSE have decided some of the other students are close contacts, but none of the teaching staff so they won't get tested. Absolutely wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I'll vaccinate my kids. I'd be more worried about any long term effects of a mild covid illness over any side effects of the vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,145 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JDD wrote: »
    I'll vaccinate my kids. I'd be more worried about any long term effects of a mild covid illness over any side effects of the vaccine.

I won't under any circumstances until the long term effects of the Vaccines are known and even then it's of less threat to them than the flu so I probably won't allow it, as long as the vaccinated don't start demanding that everyone else has to get vaccinated there shouldn't be any problem. It'll be a touchy subject in schools come September.

It'll be a touchy subject in schools come September.

Why would you think that? We weren't even allowed to send kids home in September who we knew had literally just returned from holidays abroad the day before with no isolation.

Why would you think that? We weren't even allowed to send kids home in September who we knew had literally just returned from holidays abroad the day before with no isolation.

Once they have an approved vaccine for them people will be demanding they take it I'd assume. Pat Kenny mentioned it yesterday, fantastic news they'll be able to give it to kids, O'Neill cautioned anything happens any child and it'll be scrapped as they're not at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We dont have mandatory vaccinations in Ireland so people may demand but I cant see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

So my son has all his vaccines. They are vaccines that are around years and years so we know that in the long term they are safe. However, I would be more cautious with Covid vaccine and would want him at the back of the queue. If it gets rolled out in US and other places first where millions of kids have been vaccinated by the time he is called then I would be more inclined to let him get vaccinated.

We dont have mandatory vaccinations in Ireland so people may demand but I cant see it happening.

Yea can't see it happen either but between the variants and heading into winter when they go back people might get hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭combat14

370 cases wed
    470 cases thurs
    540 cases friday

fingers crossed not start of new trend after last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

combat14 wrote: »
    370 cases wed
    470 cases thurs
    540 cases friday

fingers crossed not start of new trend after last weekend
    Daily cases are not the thing to look at. More likely they are coming out of the walk-ins, especially in Donegal. Hospitals are now not far off 100 and with vaccinations ramping up from next week the pool of those who might catch it will decline even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,052 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

is_that_so wrote: »
    Daily cases are not the thing to look at. More likely they are coming out of the walk-ins, especially in Donegal. Hospitals are now not far 100 and with vaccinations ramping up from next week the pool of those who might catch it will decline even more.

If you want to ignore cases and look at hospitalisations, the thing to look at is hospital admissions:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-hospital-admissions-covid-per-million?country=~IRL

There are lots of people claiming that we're out of the woods because all the old and vulnerable are vaccinated, but that effect is not yet clear from that chart.

Compare with UK and Israel.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-hospital-admissions-covid-per-million?time=2020-12-20..latest&country=IRL~ISR~GBR

From a data driven perspective we don't yet have a signal that this thing is under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Lumen wrote: »
    If you want to ignore cases and look at hospitalisations, the thing to look at is hospital admissions:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-hospital-admissions-covid-per-million?country=~IRL

There are lots of people claiming that we're out of the woods because all the old and vulnerable are vaccinated, but that effect is not yet clear from that chart.

Compare with UK and Israel.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/weekly-hospital-admissions-covid-per-million?time=2020-12-20..latest&country=IRL~ISR~GBR

From a data driven perspective we don't yet have a signal that this thing is under control.
    Not out of the woods yet but heading there. Admissions are less of an issue when we are down to such low cases in hospitals. You'd still expect to see some anyway even when we get back to some normality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

My son is 18 and is in sixth year, preparing for his leaving. He also works part-time in a nursing home so is fully vaccinated.

Two weeks ago he was deemed a close contact and had to take over a week off school to isolate. During this time he had his day five and day ten test which were negative. He was allowed back to school on Monday, and by crazy bad luck, there has been two positive cases in the household from Thursday so he was out of school on Friday. He got tested yesterday (Friday), and shortly afterwards Public health called him and told him there was new rules from now, and he didn't have to restrict his movements, that he didnt need a test and could go back to work. There is another fully vaccinated health worker in the house and she was told the same by a different public health representative, is back working and free to do as she chooses outside of work

I rang the HSE line and they knew nothing about the new rules regarding isolation/restrictions.

Does anyone know if this advice was correct and is there anyone i can contact to trace who gave the two of them this advice?
    Any help would be great..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭combat14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

What are Schools doing about Communions and Confirmations ?
    I thought that I read that there shouldn't be any organised for May or June but now our Godson's Confirmation has been given a date in early June.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    I thought that I read that there shouldn't be any organised for May or June but now our Godson's Confirmation has been given a date in early June.

Confirmations to be held before the end of the school year with communions held back until the new school year.

The NPHET guidelines state not to hold them currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I've offered to help hold the communion during the summer. So this is what we are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

Yeah I think the confirmations are being held in June, before the children all split up to go to their various secondary schools.

Communions are supposed to be in autumn. I would expect October or November. Lots of the Communion kids haven't made their first confessions yet, so that would have to be done first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

SusanC10 wrote: »

Our communion not happening this side of summer, 2020 to deal with first

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I've offered to help hold the communion during the summer. So this is what we are doing.

those things should all be postponed indefinitely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great to see Michael Martin is going to try and address the PE issue in schools. We are the 4th worst in Europe in hours allocated to it.

Ireland 37 hours per year for PE, France 108, Austria 102, Portugal 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Aleppo_rex

Great to see Michael Martin is going to try and address the PE issue in schools. We are the 4th worst in Europe in hours allocated to it.

Ireland 37 hours per year for PE, France 108, Austria 102, Portugal 90.
    Is Micheal Martin going to pay to roof every school yard in the country then? Schools are terribly underfunded esp. When it comes to general purpose halls and PE equipment.

Advertisement