Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools and Covid 19 (part 5) **Mod warnings in OP**

Options

Comments

JP100 wrote: »
    Inevitable really once schools returned and just means that any meaningful reopening of other parts of society will be further pushed back once again.

[url]Https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/spike-in-covid-19-cases-linked-to-school-and-workplace-outbreaks-1.4544840?mode=amp[/url]

How is this nonsense still going.

The hospitalisation rate has halved with < 20% of the country having their first vaccine. This will continue to fall rapidly.

Cases are now 40% lower than when schools returned at the end of February. So, cases lower, hospitalisation rate significantly lower, vaccination rate increasing, yet somehow the tale is that things are getting worse.

Catch yerselves on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

How is this thread still going.

What more is there to say? Once schools returned they'll stay open now until the summer.

There is zero chance schools will be closed again between now and summer, or even again due to COVID.

Ahh...went out last night from a secondary school..

Following on from discussions with the HSE and the Dept of Education, it has been decided to close the school this evening until further notice.

All classes will be held remotely through TEAMs from tomorrow morning for all year groups

I will be in contact again in the coming days with further details about the screening of ALL students who have not already tested positive or who have not already been identified as a close contact.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ahh...went out last night from a secondary school..

Following on from discussions with the HSE and the Dept of Education, it has been decided to close the school this evening until further notice.

All classes will be held remotely through TEAMs from tomorrow morning for all year groups

I will be in contact again in the coming days with further details about the screening of ALL students who have not already tested positive or who have not already been identified as a close contact.

Thanks

Is this the school in Tipp after the house party?

Is this the school in Tipp after the house party?

One of them, it's across a few schools that's the only one to close though.

A complete mess that. Heard some teachers kids were at the party also.

Parents needs to take responsibility

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

One in Letterkenny has also sent children home. Alot getting into bother now

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭JP100

Huge domino effect at this stage, the summer holidays when they do come around will act as one massive circuit breaker. Hard to be optimistic about case numbers until then and the simultaneous vaccine bonus really starting to kick in then too to also really help things
    Schools will delay any meaningful reopening of society and I would just rather they treated people like grown ups and explained that to people rather than all the other shenanigans of nothing to see here.

JP100 wrote: »
    Huge domino effect at this stage, the summer holidays when they do come around will act as one massive circuit breaker. Hard to be optimistic about case numbers until then and the simultaneous vaccine bonus really starting to kick in then too to also really help things
    Schools will delay any meaningful reopening of society and I would just rather they treated people like grown ups and explained that to people rather than all the other shenanigans of nothing to see here.

Only numbers that count now are the hospital ones and they aren't increasing.

They will drop more once 60-69 are done in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,146 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Only numbers that count now are the hospital ones and they aren't increasing.

They will drop more once 60-69 are done in the next few weeks.

Great news Dr.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 aigne

What more is there to say? Once schools returned they'll stay open now until the summer.

There is zero chance schools will be closed again between now and summer, or even again due to COVID.

People seem to think it is a binary decision between schools open and schools closed. There is so much more we could be doing to stop the virus spreading within schools - frequent antigen testing, FFP2 masks, ventilation assessments for each classroom etc etc etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

aigne wrote: »
    People seem to think it is a binary decision between schools open and schools closed. There is so much more we could be doing to stop the virus spreading within schools - frequent antigen testing, FFP2 masks, ventilation assessments for each classroom etc etc etc etc

99% of people in the school community don't want school closures. People.calling for more transparency and honesty around schools aren't looking for shook closures. Anyone suggesting that they are is just being lazy with the comments and opinions and looking for a cheap reaction.

aigne wrote: »

School kids aren't practicing clinical mask use, they are probably adding to the problem via secondary transmission, most of the general public aren't either, FFP2 masks won't change that, they need to be scrapped.
    Rapid antigen testing within the school if there is someone presenting with symptoms, absolutely should have happened last year. It can be self administered and the new guidance says you only need to swab both nostrils no need to ram it up towards your brain.
    Ventilation should be improved, what effect it will have on case numbers I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,466 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Treesdog

Got the email from the school to say my child is a close contact of a positive case and HSE will be in touch regarding a test.

Any idea how long it would be before HSE do call?

I know someone who was a close contact late last year (not through a school) who didn’t get a call from the HSE for over a week from the time the other person tested positive so am just curious as to what the wait times are like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Treesdog wrote: »
    Got the email from the school to say my child is a close contact of a positive case and HSE will be in touch regarding a test.

I know someone who was a close contact late last year (not through a school) who didn’t get a call from the HSE for over a week from the time the other person tested positive so am just curious as to what the wait times are like now.

I wouldn't wait for the HSE. Phone your GP and get referred for a test.

Treesdog wrote: »

We got the call the next day when it happened. So did the whole class, they were all there at the same time and again at the same time for the 2nd test.

Lumen wrote: »

Doing this causes duplicate appointments and delays. Will also need a 2nd test. So if you go down this road, let the hse and school know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,285 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Got a message from the school my 6 year old in and was told there was a confirmed case in the school and they've informed any close contacts.

I think the school handled it really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

There are cases this week in our son's School. No word from the school apart from calls to the close contacts. My friend's son is in the relevant Year which is the only reason I know. Would have preferred if the school was more upfront.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    There are cases this week in our son's School. No word from the school apart from calls to the close contacts. My friend's son is in the relevant Year which is the only reason I know. Would have preferred if the school was more upfront.

The teachers probably weren't even told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Lumen wrote: »

This is why so many cases are being classes as community transmission and not school when they were in fact caught in the classroom , this is helping the ‘schools are safe’ narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Irishtimes reporting sharp rises in Covid outbreaks in schools and childcare settings:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-outbreaks-in-schools-and-childcare-rise-sharply-data-shows-1.4550006

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

That sounds like a blunt conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭niamh247

Schools are neither safe nor unsafe.
    wow - this statement is neither false nor true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Darwin wrote: »
    Irishtimes reporting sharp rises in Covid outbreaks in schools and childcare settings:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-outbreaks-in-schools-and-childcare-rise-sharply-data-shows-1.4550006

82 cases linked to schools out of 1 million children very small amount.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

niamh247 wrote: »
    That sounds like a blunt conclusion.

Pretty much on the money if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Marty Bird wrote: »
    82 cases linked to schools out of 1 million children very small amount.

The things people do with the School figures for their own beliefs will never fail to amuse me

Covid-19 outbreaks in schools and childcare settings rose sharply last week, while outbreaks in workplaces declined, latest figures show.

The positive impact of vaccination is also clear, with no new outbreaks in nursing homes reported last week and the lowest number of hospital outbreaks this year.

The number of outbreaks in schools rose six-fold in a week, to 31 last week from five the previous week, according to the latest weekly report from the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC). Childcare outbreaks doubled from 11 to 22.
    There it is in black and white using HPSC data: School cases are up 6 fold, whereas workplace outbreaks have dropped

Remember the Sunday before they re-opened and we had less than 300 cases? Good times

Anyway. Secondary schools holidays start on circa June 1st and Primary schools on circa July 1st?

Can't wait till these virus vectors are closed for a few months

Combine this with an even more ramped up vaccination roll out and we'll have some really low R0 to play with from July on

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭DSN

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    The things people do with the School figures for their own beliefs will never fail to amuse me

There it is in black and white using HPSC data: School cases are up 6 fold, whereas workplace outbreaks have dropped

Remember the Sunday before they re-opened and we had less than 300 cases? Good times

Anyway. Secondary schools holidays start on circa June 1st and Primary schools on circa July 1st?

Combine this with an even more ramped up vaccination roll out and we'll have some really low R0 to play with from July on

Easy to say if you no kids tbh but you'll be happy to know schools closing even earlier this year the 23rd of June ours is. So hide under your bed til then u be fine. Oh dear then even more 'virus vectors' as you say will be open.

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Last week, from 5,507 tests conducted on people identified as close contacts within 190 schools, a total of 131 positive tests were returned - or 2.4%
    Within primary this was 80 from 3,330 tests in 113 schools and in secondary this was 46 from 2,016 in 72 schools.

This compares with the week prior to the Easter break where 286 cases were detected from 13,196 tests in 351 schools, representing a drop in cases associated with schools of 54%.

The week the IT were comparing against was the first week back after Easter, where in the vast majority of cases where contact tracing was required, the follow up testing would not have been completed prior to the end of the week, therefore is not a valid comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0429/1212724-vaccine-world-moderna/

Schools will be covered soon once this is approved :)

Advertisement