Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's CANCER day!: The Late Late Show - Friday 26th March 2021.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Purposely didn't check into this forum during tonight's show, as in fairness it's usually reserved for poking fun at what's going on.

But all I will say is.....**** cancer.

And I find it perverse that an illness that affects so many families on a weekly basis has to raise it's own funds via charity.

And it's borderline evil delaying/cancelling so many cancer screenings because of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That lamb add is some of the strangest things I’ve seen on tv ever

The one where he had a tape of his dead mam telling him how to roast lamb?

'Supported by your licence fee' as if we had just witnessed sheer greatness :rolleyes:

Like the mugger who sarcastically thanks you while he punches you in the stomach and then runs off with your cash and possessions

Thankfully Tubs is worth every penny of his half mill salary, slaving eight hours a week. Propped up by grateful taxpayers who can take comfort in his upbeat demeanour, Mr. Light Entertainment will distract you from the relentless morbidity of Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,443 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Masala wrote: »
    Its becoming like a National QVC channel..... Weekly Charity Whip-Around!

TBF,
    Most of the fundraising opportunities that these organisations would have had have been wiped out by the Covid restrictions.
    Might as well make some use of the platform.
    I don't think there's any harm in shining a light on some of the suffering that goes on in people's lives all of the time or how fast things can change for a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,516 ✭✭✭obi604

Funnily one of the broadcasters top 'stars' has departed under such a cloud without so much of a good luck message from his colleagues.

Why did he depart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

They didn't want to broach the topic of houses with him.

He has a very nice one paid for by a rich benefactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Purposely didn't check into this forum during tonight's show, as in fairness it's usually reserved for poking fun at what's going on.

Poking fun? Don’t think anyone is having any “fun” in here.

Only got to see the last few minutes. Fair play to the Jedward lads for shaving their heads and well done to Ryan, the ‘Late Late Show’ team and everyone who donated tonight.

A lot of money of raised for a great cause. Great to see.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

And RTE have ensured by their propaganda that cancer services have been shut down for the last year, so you can f**k right off Ryan, you pawn.

How to add 2 + 2 and get 5.

Thankfully Tubs is worth every penny of his half mill salary, slaving eight hours a week. Propped up by grateful taxpayers who can take comfort in his upbeat demeanour, Mr. Light Entertainment will distract you from the relentless morbidity of Covid.

Top talent like Tubridy, Darcy, O'Callaghan bring in multiples of what they earn in advertising during their time slots on TV/Radio. It doesn't suit the outrage narrative, but it's the truth. See the RTÉ annual report for further details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭YoshiSays

There are a ton of one man produced channels on you tube that are way more informative, entertaining and polished, positive and cheerful than anything RTE is producing. Eg this English guy living off the land in Sligo, restoring a cottage, etc.

https://youtube.com/c/MossyBottom

RTE is still stuck in the 80s. Awful stuff. And they are taking 160 quid off me each year AND I've to watch ads all the time too.

• Advertisement

Top talent like Tubridy, Darcy, O'Callaghan bring in multiples of what they earn in advertising during their time slots on TV/Radio. It doesn't suit the outrage narrative, but it's the truth. See the RTÉ annual report for further details.

I beg your pardon, dude. Seven hours is the current weekly tally, all that sweat and toil for the greater good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

How to add 2 + 2 and get 5.

"There is a man sitting in the middle of the road casting his fishing line... now none of us is perfect, but c'mon! So I asked him, "How many have you caught today?" He said, "You're the ninth."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I'm sure they'd bring in just as much advertising if all those names were paid 50% less.

If they think they can command that big money elsewhere....let them go out to the big bad world and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Poking fun? Don’t think anyone is having any “fun” in here.

Only got to see the last few minutes. Fair play to the Jedward lads for shaving their heads and well done to Ryan, the ‘Late Late Show’ team and everyone who donated tonight.

A lot of money of raised for a great cause. Great to see.

I was referring to the fact that the running commentary is usually the highlight of the night, but rightfully it took a backseat tonight given the theme of the show, so didn't feel there was much point checking out the thread because there wasn't going to be any comic relief.

They could stream their stuff on YouTube live and get a lot of world wide advertising and have pay per view for world wide subscribers.

If people can't get broadband to view this, then it would be much cheaper to provide these few people with satellite BB free.

It's a win win for everyone.

Also, Ireland needs deep impartial journalism via my license fee money way more than Ryan ****ing Tubridy does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Yeah, right on! Duffy and Tubridy's morning shows bring in an absolute king's ransom!

From ads on RTE for other RTE shows...

They must be paying themselves millions!

Sorry, just venting, back from hospital after an operation after several surgeries over the past years. No as bad as cancer, which is absolutely terrible and heartbreaking for everyone involved. I couldn't watch the show.

But I'm angry. RTE costs a lot of money. Companies selling alcohol and fast food etc advertising their products which are leading causes of cancer. And I'm still paying a license fee! I'm fed up of the hypocrisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

furiousox wrote: »
    Every day is cancer day on RTE.
    I'll be watching The French Connection with Gene Hackman instead.
    Only saw it once about 25 years ago so looking forward to it.

Well it's dated quite a bit but still watchable.
    New York in the 70's was fairly grimy and of course that car (vs train) chase was insane!

CPL 593H

obi604 wrote: »
    Why did he depart?

Allegations were made by a girl on reddit that he raped her and fair enough, these could be thrown away easily.....but then RTE let him off at the end of his contract and yet, not one single colleague has come out and offered defence or support or even wished him good luck. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but strange carry on from RTE and certainly toward a guy who championed many of their woke causes

There is no way that the state broadcaster in a small country such as ours, should be paying these levels of salaries. RTE is in dire financial straits, most probably due to this very recklessness

• Advertisement

furiousox wrote: »
    Well it's dated quite a bit but still watchable.
    New York in the 70's was fairly grimy and of course that car (vs train) chase was insane!

I love anything set in New York during that period. Many reckon, the real New York before corporations took Manhattan over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Only 230 posts; if the drop-off here is being matched amongst the viewership in general then the ratings must be plummeting. It's obviously now just a weekly exercise in demoralising the public and people are getting wise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

This weeks show was never going to set the world on fire-people are sick of Tubridy and the direction of the organisation which pays him.

It's been wall to wall misery from all of them, ever before we had covid to reckon with. And the horn on him when he got to do a whole cancer show and look pious must have been a sight to behold.

Those of us who do the usual threads and puppies, only do so to promote a community we enjoy.

We'd all be far better off with the likes of Radio 4, and filtering out the wokeness.

Because they do have a brighter outlook over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If you rearrange the letters in '' The Late Late Show'' you get '' Latest Health Woe'' which is ironically fitting considering the usual themes on The Late Late SHow.

Of course I don't mind this one off show, considering how they can't raise money the usual way.

Genius. I tip my hat to that.

1. If they were paid less, then RTE would take in more.

2. If they were better st their jobs, they'd get more ratings and RTE would get paid more in advertising revenue. As it stands, on radio they have so many ads for other RTE shows it's a near parody of itself. A so-called 'flagship' programme like Liveline can go for months without a main sponsor. People should be queuing up to advertise on these programmes, they obviously are not.
    Allegations were made by a girl on reddit that he raped her and fair enough, these could be thrown away easily.....but then RTE let him off at the end of his contract and yet, not one single colleague has come out and offered defence or support or even wished him good luck. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but strange carry on from RTE and certainly toward a guy who championed many of their woke causes

He left before his contract ended. I agree he's innocent before being proven guilty, signs are not good though.

McDermott has such a vanity streak that he gave himself a Nr. 2 buzz cut, not a shave. You can even hear him check the setting at 1:30 in this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liB5JlszThA

I'm going through a bit of a health anxiety spell at the minute and I got the Astra Zeneca vaccine a few days ago. The 'cancer show' would have created the perfect storm for me to present at the nearest A&E last night. Although I did see a tiny bit of Shane Filan's interview. He always struck me as a nice lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The state of Jedward. Just seen pictures of them....Screen-Shot-2019-09-26-at-12.47.33-c695e0a.png?quality=45&resize=620,413

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 72,115 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Soooo...what’d I miss?

Sum last night’s show up for me in one word :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

Soooo...what’d I miss?

Sum last night’s show up for me in one word :)

BAsed on the few minutes I was lucky enough to catch (:D), the only word that comes to mind that wont get censored is YELLOW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

It must also be said that, in these new fun-filled Late Lates, Tubridy has really been showcasing his brilliant sense of tumour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭furiousox

BAsed on the few minutes I was lucky enough to catch (:D), the only word that comes to mind that wont get censored is YELLOW

Play the video, close your eyes and imagine the first few lines are being sung by Alan Partridge.
    Uncanny, isn't it? :D

CPL 593H

Advertisement