Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who still think Ireland is part of the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Incidentally, given that the overwhelming majority of people in the UK are in England, calling it England isn't that far off.

Isn't that far off?

Only off by about 10 million people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

murpho999 wrote: »
    was shocked when I moved to Holland and how many people there just refer to Britain and Ireland as "England"

Oops :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have spent time in China and quite a few times some Chinese I interacted with clearly regard Europe as just one large country and essentially all the same i.e. no difference between the various countries.

know
    dd973 wrote: »
    A lot of English people have barely travelled around their country, many have rarely visited London, many London residents have never been to Birmingham or Manchester, add to that their parents/grandparents all being from there if that is the case and many automatically and lazily ball park Ireland North and Republic into the Scotland and Wales category.

A bit like the 'British Isles' term rolled out about English speaking non contiguous Europe, I wouldn't expect all U.K people to be au fait with the events of 1922 or 1949. They don't regard us as foreign because of familiarity, proximity and common language.

I have lived in England for the past 11 years and I am definitely more about England than the English I meet. I can safely say my geographical knowledge of England far outstripes anyone I know here.

Most English I meet talk about 5 miles down the road like it's some far off distant alien country. They can be surprisingly insular. Perhaps it is because in Ireland we have more of history of moving around and emigrating. People tend to move to England rather than the other way around.

Fact is, "we" are far more obsessed with the English than they are with us. England is a hugely complicated and multi layered society. It is a hotchpotch of various cultures and nationalities.

Ireland (this is not a criticisim) is a small indigeneous island to the extent that Ireland is of no relevance over here.

• Advertisement

Always so many insecure comments on these threads about how "we" aren't as significant as "we" think we are. Who would this "we" be?

Yeh. That’s never explained. It’s a strawman we.

I get a tad annoyed at this fixation with England/UK. Who effing cares?

Ireland should be strong and confident at this stage to say "To hell with the rest of you. This is who we are and we make no apology for it"

Brexit is a great opportunity to break this persistant hang up. Look past the UK. There is a whole world out there.

Fact is, "we" are far more obsessed with the English than they are with us. England is a hugely complicated and multi layered society. It is a hotchpotch of various cultures and nationalities.

Ireland (this is not a criticisim) is a small indigeneous island to the extent that Ireland is of no relevance over here.

Why is England is more complex than Ireland?

And why would people in the U.K. not know where their border is?

Why is England is more complex than Ireland?

Really? A country with a population of 55m, with all the multi cultural mixes and history, a centre of international global trade. Just like Fance or Germany are far more complicated countries.

Ireland is a small island off a bigger island with a largely untouched indigeneous population.

And why would people in the U.K. not know where their border is?

Yeah. They should know but I guess some don't give a crap- not an issue.

Really? A country with a population of 55m, with all the multi cultural mixes and history, a centre of international global trade.

Whats the population got to do with complexity? Why has being a global centre got to so with anything. Getting a huge bang of cultural cringe here.
    Ireland is a small island off a bigger island with a largely untouched indigeneous population.

I don't know if you have left the house lately. Migration is running at about the same levels for both. And since they have left the EU I assume that the number of immigrants is reversing. not that that is relevant either.
    Yeah. They should know but I guess some don't give a crap- not an issue.

I'ts not an issue where the borders of your state are?

Is it because we is small? Are Germans, who have 9 borders expected to know none of them. except France? Denmark is much smaller relative to Germany than Ireland is to England ( also I don't know why you are concentrating on England). I bet the failure to teach the Irish border is part of the big problems with Brexit.

Getting a huge bang of cultural cringe here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have spent time in China and quite a few times some Chinese I interacted with clearly regard Europe as just one large country and essentially all the same i.e. no difference between the various countries.

The education system in China must be very poor compared to ours.

The education system in China must be very poor compared to ours.

Like a lot of what PG says, that is not true, either.

I mean maybe the same type of population who don't know much about Europe are similar to not knowing much about the differences between China, Korea and Vietnam over here, but educated people on either side know both.

Even the least educated should know their own borders though.

I mean maybe the same type of population who don't know much about Europe are similar to not knowing much about the differences between China, Korea and Vietnam over here, but educated people on either side know both.

Which renders the premise of this thread defunct. It started off as one Irish person taking offence at an American thinking that we use the Pound as our currency. As if it is somehow unique that people in the outside world are misinformed only about Ireland. There is ignorance everywhere, including in Ireland.

Whats the population got to do with complexity? Why has being a global centre got to so with anything. Getting a huge bang of cultural cringe here.

I shouldnt even bother having to go there but sure why not...

A nation (any nation) of 55million souls is helluva lot more complicated than an indigeneous island of 4million souls. Now, if you can't see or appreciate that then you are wasting my time. More than likely you are still growing up and still living at home.
    I don't know if you have left the house lately. Migration is running at about the same levels for both. And since they have left the EU I assume that the number of immigrants is reversing. not that that is relevant either.

You are forgetting the generations of emigrants from Asia, Africa and the Caribbean that have been here for decades. In the last 15-10 years there has been an influx of mostly Eastern European in Ireland and all of sudden lads think we are a multi cultural hot spot...LOL.
    I'ts not an issue where the borders of your state are?

So lads meet the odd US person who doesn't know their own border or the border of another foreign country...so what? Clearly not an issue for that person because they probably dont give a crap. That is a sad for them but a waste of time you getting wound up about it. It reflects worse on us that we should even give a crap what some random US or English person should think.

The pearl clutching is strong.
    Is it because we is small? Are Germans, who have 9 borders expected to know none of them. except France? Denmark is much smaller relative to Germany than Ireland is to England ( also I don't know why you are concentrating on England). I bet the failure to teach the Irish border is part of the big problems with Brexit.

Getting a huge bang of cultural cringe here.

More Pearl Clutching. I mentioned England because the thread title expressly says the "UK" and England is part of the UK which I am sure you knew.Why does it vex you so much..faux outrage. Please I live here and hear similar comments. It is a comparative which you responded to.

Now, you seem to equate stating blatant facts with "cultural cringe" or as a perceived criticism. Weird and only a reflection of your own insecurity.

Here is an idea...when your balls drop why don't you move to Germany or London or New York for a few years and then come back and tell me that society in Ireland is on par with London, Berlin, or New York. Then maybe you will understand Ireland in context with the rest of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭indioblack

There is ignorance everywhere, including in Ireland.
    Careful now.

Please tell me which part is not true. This should be good...

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

From a Brit perspective I would not know a single person who would think Ireland is part of the UK, this must be an Irish thing.

Which renders the premise of this thread defunct. It started off as one Irish person taking offence at an American thinking that we use the Pound as our currency. As if it is somehow unique that people in the outside world are misinformed only about Ireland. There is ignorance everywhere, including in Ireland.

He was a financial presenter on TV so no excuse. Also he would get into the educated classes part of my argument.

From a Brit perspective I would not know a single person who would think Ireland is part of the UK, this must be an Irish thing.

You may have a wide circle of acquaintances and friends. But that would be far too small a sample of the overall population to establish anything. How many of them did you ask about this anyway?

Please tell me which part is not true.

That most Chinese people think that Europe is one country. Say what you like about the Chinese education system but their rote learning is good rote learning.
    This should be good...

Yeh, I suppose.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I have had the odd Brit express surprise there are two different jurisdictions.

Especially when it came to Brexit and border checks in NI- a few lads not at all worried about NI because and I quote "Sure it's all the same Island. It makes no difference"

Oblivious that the EU border is at the NI border.

You may have a wide circle of acquaintances and friends. But that would be far too small a sample of the overall population to establish anything. How many of them did you ask about this anyway?

Of course I wouldn't of needed to ask everyone but yes fair point.. but I honestly would be staggered if anyone I knew or know in the UK would think this.

That most Chinese people think that Europe is one country. .

Really....where did I say that? Surely you don't mean this post:

"I have spent time in China and quite a few times some Chinese I interacted with clearly regard Europe as just one large country and essentially all the same i.e. no difference between the various countries."

The post where I said "...some Chinese I interacted with..."...is it that part you have misread?

Of course I wouldn't of needed to ask everyone but yes fair point.. but I honestly would be staggered if anyone I knew or know in the UK would think this.

I find that some people on the internet take the ideas in their own heads as being what everyone thinks. I corrected a person on another forum who claimed that Ireland is the only country in Europe where some people think that stock and shares can be risky. That was just an idea in their own head.

If you asked these people instead of assuming what they think, you would know for sure.

Really....where did I say that? Surely you don't mean this post:

"I have spent time in China and quite a few times some Chinese I interacted with clearly regard Europe as just one large country and essentially all the same i.e. no difference between the various countries."

The post where I said "...some Chinese I interacted with..."...is it that part you have misread?

Where did you meet these people? Did they speak English? Have you even been to China? How did you get into the conversation.

Yes, I doubt all your claims here.

No it isn't.

I've lived in the US, the UK and Germany mate and I doubt you have left your parish. Haha.

By the way you haven't answered whether Germans should know their borders or not? Why not?

Keep quotng "cultural cringe" all you like. It is still nonsene.

Of course people should know their own border I have said as much but I am amused that lads are getting awfully upset by a very small perceived slight. That is the definition of Pearl Clutching. Nothing emotional about that buddy.

As for living in the UK, Germany and the US...lol...now we both know that is a blatant lie. Try harder.

Bet if I recited Lagos you would have lived in Nigeria too...;)

Keep quotng "cultural cringe" all you like. It is still nonsene.

I mean you are the epitome of it. You are basically arguing that British people shouldn't know their own border because they ar bigger. Do you think that there are Danish, or Ducth people who would say the same about Germany.
    Of course people should know their own border I have said as much but I am amused that lads are getting awfully upset by a very small perceived slight. That is the definition of Pearl Clutching. Nothing emotional about that buddy.

As for living in the UK, Germany and the US...lol...now we both know that is a blatant lie. Try harder.

I have pretty much said as much elsewhere on boards. Definitely that I lived in the US, only a few posts ago in fact. Pretty sure I've talked about London and family in Germany. I have been in Berlin for a few months though, the rest were years. I intend to work from Germany this year post covid, ill send a picture.
    Bet if I recited Lagos you would have lived in Nigeria too...;)

No, haven't been to Lagos.

I merely said here that people in Britain should know where the border is. If you "agree" with that, then what are you arguing about?

I find that some people on the internet take the ideas in their own heads as being what everyone thinks. I corrected a person on another forum who claimed that Ireland is the only country in Europe where some people think that stock and shares can be risky. That was just an idea in their own head.

If you asked these people instead of assuming what they think, you would know for sure.

You see , now you have me concerned that they would answer incorrectly, thus forcing me to avoid them forever.... I'll simply think they know and leave it at that

Where did you meet these people?

China. Read the part where I said "...having spent time in China"
    Did they speak English?

Yes. Why?
    Have you even been to China?

I would refer you back to the start.
    How did you get into the conversation.

Well, when you travel and work and generally spedn time in other countries it is normal to interact with the locals. In fact it is expected and indeed it happened every day would you believe..!
    Yes, I doubt all your claims here.

Good for you.

Seriously...this is funny and all from the guy who claims to have lived in the US, UK and Germany.

• Advertisement

I merely said here that people in Britain should know where the border is. If you "agree" with that, then what are you arguing about?

I am not arguing at all. You were the poster who came charigng in responding and throwing around accusations of "cultural cringe" because I pointed out a few home truths about Ireland is a small island and so what if an odd person does not know their own border- at the end of the day, they are the idiots so i wouldn't get too upset. Far more pressing issues in the world.

Advertisement