Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXIV-249,437 ROI(4,906 deaths) 120,195 NI (2,145 deaths)(01/05)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Dublin and Kildare had stricter restrictions than the rest of the country last year . Why not Donegal ?

I think it is perfectly acceptable to impose restrictions on Donegal. I was simply wondering why those parts of the country that had minuscule levels or no COVID at all over the last few months were not allowed an earlier easing of restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

1 death, 402 cases. Seems like will get past the 250,000 overall case mark tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im so happy to see deaths have been dropping off a lot lately. These retro death reports are so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im so happy to see deaths have been dropping off a lot lately. These retro death reports are so frustrating

Yet again, the retro deaths. All deaths are reported retrospectively - just like you'll have no idea how many, if any, actually died today.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

revelman wrote: »
    I think it is perfectly acceptable to impose restrictions on Donegal. I was simply wondering why those parts of the country that had minuscule levels or no COVID at all over the last few months were not allowed an earlier easing of restrictions.

It would not be in your best interest to have less restrictions to be honest . Then you would get people driving into Kerry from elsewhere to avail of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Where can you see the 14 day rate for Derry?

breaking news.ie has a page with all ireland 14 day rates

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/latest-covid-data-how-many-cases-are-there-in-your-local-area-1119789.html

Because the imposition of restrictions on a region needs to refer to a specific minority, which we haven't had in recent months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The South African and Brazilian strains have hit east London. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/01/extra-testing-to-start-in-east-london-after-overseas-covid-variants-detected

Sadly, I wonder how long it will take to hit here?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Why has there not been a regional approach taken up to now? Suddenly, because of what is happening in Donegal people are talking about a regional approach. For several months now, we, in West Cork and Kerry, have had minuscule numbers of Covid but nobody was suggesting regional approaches.

Its a lot easier to improse regional restrictions on a small minority than on a majority.

Regional restrictions for donegal can be considered but regional restrictions for everyone but West Cork and Kerry isn't not a good idea imo.

breaking news.ie has a page with all ireland 14 day rates

I can only find it for ROI and at 20/4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

The South African and Brazilian strains have hit east London. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/01/extra-testing-to-start-in-east-london-after-overseas-covid-variants-detected

Both of these variants were detected in Ireland weeks ago, but are not circulating too much.

I think their map updates automatically once a week. Latest figures there show Donegal's 14 day case incidence rate at 246.2. Derry/Strabane is at 130.9. Most of Northern Ireland is under 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You realise this isn't the first time there's been surge testing in areas of the UK for this??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I think their map updates automatically once a week. Latest figures there show Donegal's 14 day case incidence rate at 246.2. Derry/Strabane is at 130.9. Most of Northern Ireland is under 100.

apologies derry cityside is 336 wasnt reading it right !

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭poppers

https://mobile.twitter.com/auto_plot/status/1388135172118401027

Elessar wrote: »
    Both of these variants were detected in Ireland weeks ago, but are not circulating too much.

Ah good to hear it's not!
    I'll be honest tho, I am a bit worried about the Indian strain. They are getting hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Eod100 wrote: »
    1 death, 402 cases. Seems like will get past the 250,000 overall case mark tomorrow.

14 months to breach that number. On the flip side we had over 250,000 fully vaccinated in 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Really clear and concise video here from pathologist addressing some taboos and myths around covid;
    Although I would not agree with everything in the video, he makes some very good points about some of the things we accept as true without really examining them.

A good example is the various "test and trace" programmes around the world which generally have not worked and, moreover, could have been predicted not to work given the nature of the virus known at the time.

Ah good to hear it's not!
    I'll be honest tho, I am a bit worried about the Indian strain. They are getting hammered.

The hammering in India is down to a lot more than a new strain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Azatadine

• Advertisement

I am aware, but I still don't want it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Big time. Just about everything has gone wrong for them. Minimal health infrastructure overpopulatation, mass rallies, psychopathic leader etc

I am still earnest for more information on this strain. There is some horrific reports of younger people getting much sicker, and dying, as well as fully vaccinated people getting hospitalized.

Let's hope the world can quickly get together to increase India's emergency aid as well as releasing the vaccine patents and any materials they need to manufacture them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

A good example is the various "test and trace" programmes around the world which generally have not worked and, moreover, could have been predicted not to work given the nature of the virus known at the time.
    That's hardly contentious, is it? The implementation of most test and trace programmes was always obviously wanting - it was a help, but none bar the most blissfully optimistic were claiming it would save the day here.

A good way to get viewers to believe any horse manure you're selling is to mix in some obvious truths.

Although I would not agree with everything in the video, he makes some very good points about some of the things we accept as true without really examining them.

I just watched a bit of the video. It emphasises for me the need for a debate. It would be very interesting to put what Dr John Lee is saying to Dr Chris Witty or Dr Patrick Vallance and see what their response would be.

There are so many things that are confusing and hard to understand. Dr Tony Fauci in the US swears by masks and goes around in two masks. Dr Anders Tegnell, meanwhile, doesn't think they do anything, or that they do very little, and hasn't bothered with them. In Spain masks are required everywhere. In Sweden, Norway, and Iceland they're not required, and if they are, it's only a recommendation.

Dr John Lee says there's no need for mass testing. Government scientists say it's important.

It's really confusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Ficheall wrote: »
    That's hardly contentious, is it? The implementation of most test and trace programmes was always obviously wanting - it was a help, but none bar the most blissfully optimistic were claiming it would save the day here.
    However he's going a bit further than that. He's saying that there flawed in principle even given what we knew about the virus at the time; not merely the implementation of them.

Let's hope the world can quickly get together to increase India's emergency aid as well as releasing the vaccine patents and any materials they need to manufacture them.

India is one of the biggest vaccine manufacturers worldwide. The Serum Institute of India is making and producing more doses of vaccine than any other single organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

However he's going a bit further than that. He's saying that there flawed in principle even given what we knew about the virus at the time; not merely the implementation of them.
    I'm unlikely to watch the video - could you synopsize his argument? I'm not denying the extreme difficulty of implementing a perfect test and trace system, but I'm not convinced of the flawed principle? (As a way to help reduce cases, not eliminate them completely by itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

0CKSEqs.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tekkiemetal

Anybody know how many days between registering for Vacine and actually getting it?

• Advertisement

Anybody know how many days between registering for Vacine and actually getting it?

Seems to be getting longer as more age groups are added. I know 69 year olds who got it in five days after signing up, a 66 year old who got notified a week after registering and the jab five days later, and I've registered (62) a week ago but no word yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement