Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 :Round 1 Bahrain

Options
1171819202123»

Comments

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

I must be the only one on this thread who likes Crofty.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Killinator

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1376501204415565832.html

Good piece on the whole turn 4 debacle

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Killinator wrote: »

Saw that but think Buxton nailed it much simpler.

If that wide line from Hamilton is fine when he is on his own, then its fine when he is being overtaken. Or else neither is fine.

Essentially Max took the same Racing Line Hamilton had been taking. And got punished for it simply by circumstance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Saw that but think Buxton nailed it much simpler.

If that wide line from Hamilton is fine when he is on his own, then its fine when he is being overtaken. Or else neither is fine.

Essentially Max took the same Racing Line Hamilton had been taking. And got punished for it simply by circumstance.

And he had already completed the pass and was well ahead of Lewis when he went off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Faugheen wrote: »
    Again. Mercedes were not allowed to ‘steal’ everything.

Every single team except Red Bull were doing this ‘at the discretion of the race director’. Then they decided to tell Max to start doing it.

Max then went off the track while overtaking therefore ‘gaining a lasting advantage’.

It really is that simple.

Perhaps you might explain it to Todd Wolff and Christian Horner because they say they don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭McFly85

Killinator wrote: »

This makes the whole thing a bit clearer to understand, and it boils down to LH taking the p*ss.

The stewards need to be clearer about “not monitoring track limits” in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭flazio

To me, the red/white kerb is perfect for measuring an "allowance" for grip degradation. Get an advantage by going well clear of the red white kerb then that's severe enough misdemeanor to warrant black and white flag. Unfortunately, because of the Sakhir layout you can't put any other kerbing or barriers out there.
    So Lewis going well wide of the red white kerb is a penalty, as is Max if he overtook out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I must be the only one on this thread who likes Crofty.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not the only one, never got the hate for him and people calling him out on calling things wrong but loved Murray Walker for the same thing

He had a line during the race about Nikita Mazepin being out of the race due to "suspected crashing out issues" which was fantastic

It's his use of phrases like "the old switcheroo" and constantly leaning towards saying "they're going wheel to wheel" whenever any two drivers go side to side for position.
    He makes F1 feel more like a tabloid readers sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

McFly85 wrote: »
    This makes the whole thing a bit clearer to understand, and it boils down to LH taking the p*ss.

The stewards need to be clearer about “not monitoring track limits” in future.

Exploiting loopholes and ambiguity until they are closed/clarified is pretty much the norm in F1. I think the earlier comment about Race Control making a complete mess of defining and policing the track limits at T4 for the race is more to the point.

If this season is going to be as close as it appears right now and if Red Bull want to win, they need to be the ones pushing the limits and being reigned in by the stewards/FIA, not just complaining about Mercedes doing so. If it does remain close between Hamilton and Verstappen through the season it is probably going to get quite acrimonious. Here's hoping for a repeat of 1976.

Anjobe wrote: »
    If it does remain close between Hamilton and Verstappen through the season it is probably going to get quite acrimonious. Here's hoping for a repeat of 1976.

Off to Wiki I went
    The 2013 film Rush is based on this season, focusing on the rivalry and friendship between James Hunt and Niki Lauda.

A film to add to my watch list.

Not sure about repeating 76. Obviously we don't want either driver caught up in a horrific life changing crash, which Grosjean has reminded us all is still a distinct possibility. I suppose the closest we could get to putting someone on the back foot and missing races is a positive Covid test. But Lewis has already had it and will probably be vaccinated soon if he isn't already. So, I reckon maybe something like the early 2010s when Vettel just scraped at least one of his 4 championships.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭Anjobe

flazio wrote: »
    Not sure about repeating 76. Obviously we don't want either driver caught up in a horrific life changing crash, which Grosjean has reminded us all is still a distinct possibility. I suppose the closest we could get to putting someone on the back foot and missing races is a positive Covid test. But Lewis has already had it and will probably be vaccinated soon if he isn't already. So, I reckon maybe something like the early 2010s when Vettel just scraped at least one of his 4 championships.

Fair point, but I was thinking more of the direct rivalry, close racing, protests, appeals, serious dislike between the team principals, drama etc. Lauda's accident aside (sadly not unusual for the time), there has not been a season since to match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Are we forgetting the Senna-Prost incidents, Hill-Schumacher, Villeneuve-Schumacher?

I don't think we have the personal animosity there just yet of the Senna-Prost years, but we might get it yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Off to Wiki I went

A film to add to my watch list.

Rush is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

pjohnson wrote: »
    Rush is fantastic.

Prefer Skerries myself

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Prefer Skerries myself

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lewis is so far wide he was nearly in Abu Dhabi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Vic_08

The current situation with track limits is just nonsense.

X,y,z corner is ok in practice session but not in quali and maybe part of the race but not for overtaking, all overseen and applied inconsistently by a bunch of fools on the fly who are being influenced by team bosses, drivers' radio messages and everybody else with access.

The solution is p!ss easy, just automate the whole thing. Map out all the corners where there is an advantage to be gained by running wide and put in sensors. Apply set penalties for infringements and have them applied automatically as soon as running wide is detected, no involvement of the stewards and no appeals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Vic_08 wrote: »

X,y,z corner is ok in practice session but not in quali and maybe part of the race but not for overtaking, all overseen and applied inconsistently by a bunch of fools on the fly who are being influenced by team bosses, drivers' radio messages and everybody else with access.

The solution is p!ss easy, just automate the whole thing. Map out all the corners where there is an advantage to be gained by running wide and put in sensors. Apply set penalties for infringements and have them applied automatically as soon as running wide is detected, no involvement of the stewards and no appeals.

They is definitely the solution. But don’t think that would make people happy. We’d have a few races before there would be lots of complaining about how times are being deleted and penalties applied for no reason. There would be the opposite call to let them race and they can sort it out between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The current system is half working. There were two people monitoring Turn 4 on Sunday and did note the repeated infringements by Lewis, hence the warning. So it's not a question of detection, just consistency in application.

Sausage bumps perpendicular to the track. If teams want to build a car strong enough to take a couple of hits then that would be simply a design decision for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Vic_08 wrote: »

I often wondered that in todays technology, they should have some under track sensors of some sort that when a car goes wide it automatically limit the cars speed for five seconds or something.

Sausage bumps perpendicular to the track. If teams want to build a car strong enough to take a couple of hits then that would be simply a design decision for them.

Can't do that at turn 4 because it's a Y junction for the other layout they were using last year.

flazio wrote: »
    Can't do that at turn 4 because it's a Y junction for the other layout they were using last year.

Gatling guns then. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Lewis is so far wide he was nearly in Abu Dhabi

How did it get to the point where the “racing line” is way outside the borders of the track as defined by the rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

vectra wrote: »
    I often wondered that in todays technology, they should have some under track sensors of some sort that when a car goes wide it automatically limit the cars speed for five seconds or something.
    That's a good idea. If they can do it at indoor karting tracks to stop people acting the bollox, then I'm sure F1 could manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

They have put sensors in at corners at places like Austria, Spa and Italy I think. When the detection occurs, stewards can review the footage of fixed cameras...they've done it before, so nothing new. If they know cars will run wide and gain any advantage, they need to monitor and sanction for going off.

https://www.racefans.net/2020/07/02/detection-loop-replaces-kerb-to-enforce-track-limits-at-two-corners/

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I'll leave this here for the craic.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Advertisement