Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 :Round 1 Bahrain

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

weisses wrote: »
    Drivers were told they had to obey the sporting regulations, which include keeping all four wheels on the track.

I cannot make it any simpler for you

And yet everybody bar Red Bull were doing it.

Funny that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Fuagheen, you really are blinkered when it comes to Hamilton and are changing your story to beat the band.

Again, nobody (not even Red Bull or Max himself) is claiming that Max should have been let off with that overtake, which I would argue was not a deliberate exit but one done due to understeer. He gave the position straight back.

If "every other team" was ignoring track limits there (outside of overtaking) then they should have been pulled up on it. It is nonsense to say that they can't possibly police every lap when you're able to state that every other team was at it. How is it that they saw enough to issue him a warning, then, and why didn't they issue the same warning to everyone else too, if they were all equally guilty? At least you admit now (albeit in a roundabout way) that Lewis was breaking the rule. Given that, you must also now admit that this gave him an overall time advantage compared to Max, whom you yourself admit didn't commit the same offence throughout the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Good race. Disapointed Max and Red Bull did not win but at least they put Mercedes under pressure and did not make it easy for them.
    A pity Alonso did not get to finish I thought he was doing well. Vettel unlucky but he looks do be doing better in that car then the Ferrari.
    Still strange seeing Carlos Seinz in a Ferrari but getting used to it. Charles Leclerc done good. Lando Norris done good. Sergio Perez done very good to from pit lane to 5th. I thought the penalty on Vettel was harsh. Not Vettels fault it was Ocans fault.
    Mazipan not so good. I can see Haas either bringing back Kevin Magnussen or getting someone else in the replace Marzipan maybe at the Summer break.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

Max! Patience! argh! I thought he had picked up a puncture, at least it wasn't that. If he'd waited until the straight on the next lap or two he'd have coasted past.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭thefa

AMKC wrote: »
    Mazipan not so good. I can see Haas either bringing back Kevin Magnussen or getting someone else in the replace Marzipan maybe at the Summer break.
    Think their financial situation doesn’t make that possible. Not going to attract any new sponsors with car performance either. This year’s a bit of a write off for them in the hopes they can the boys some experience and are more competitive in the new regs.

• Advertisement

Vettel the "delusional ex champion" haha, gowan DC. Yet another shocker from Seb.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,569 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

thefa wrote: »
    Think their financial situation doesn’t make that possible. Not going to attract any new sponsors with car performance either. This year’s a bit of a write off for them in the hopes they can the boys some experience and are more competitive in the new regs.

Going to be a long year for Haas. I would say William's will be glad they will not be last this year and who knows they might even score a point or two.
    Vettel the "delusional ex champion" haha, gowan DC. Yet another shocker from Seb.

I thought that was Harsh of DC. He was not exactly a great F1 driver himself and he caused the biggest ever pile up in F1 in Belgium in 98.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I dunno, it's not the first time with vettel doing something ridiculous and then claiming something else happened in the past year. DC is there to say it how he sees it, and add a bit of spice and humour. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Going to be a long year for Haas. I would say William's will be glad they will not be last this year and who knows they might even score a point or two.

I thought that was Harsh of DC. He was not exactly a great F1 driver himself and he caused the biggest ever pile up in F1 in Belgium in 98.

He wasn’t an also ran either let’s be honest. I mean vettel saying Ocon moved was a bit bizarre because given it was a right hander the racing line was to the left in order to actually make the corner so I’m not sure why vettel Ocon was where he was. I like Vettel but what he said was him trying to cover his ass after making a bad mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭BikeRacer

quokula wrote: »
    Can you point to the bit in the regulations that says gaining an advantage is ok but overtaking isn’t?

It’ll take you a while to find it since it doesn’t exist.

Easy.

https://twitter.com/NorthHertsSam/status/1376267953977626628?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

@AKMC

Vettel not at fault!? He was 100% at fault. Making out the Ocon moved when it's clear Vettel moved behind Ocon back onto the racing line and either didn't brake in time or lost downforce resulting in the collision. I want Vettel to do well but that was a very poor start to his season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He wasn’t an also ran either let’s be honest. I mean vettel saying Ocon moved was a bit bizarre because given it was a right hander the racing line was to the left in order to actually make the corner so I’m not sure why vettel Ocon was where he was. I like Vettel but what he said was him trying to cover his ass after making a bad mistake.

And all it does is makes it worse. He surely realises all the cameras on him. Admit to the mistake ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Great race, bodes well for the rest of the season. Hopefully the problems with the Honda PU aren’t a regular occurrence.

Hats off to Hamilton, I don’t begrudge him the win because he obviously earned it. I wonder if it would have been different had Checo started in the top 4?

Great racing right down the field too — Leclerc, the McLarens getting racey with each other, and the Sainz - Alonso - Vettel scrap were all terrific watching.

That was brilliant while it lasted.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

...Vettel unlucky but he looks do be doing better in that car then the Ferrari.
    Still strange seeing Carlos Seinz in a Ferrari but getting used to it. Charles Leclerc done good. Lando Norris done good. Sergio Perez done very good to from pit lane to 5th. I thought the penalty on Vettel was harsh. Not Vettels fault it was Ocans fault. ...

Looked like more of the same from Vettel. Unlucky to start so far back, was involved in the great racing with Alonso and Sainz and might have gotten into the points on his one stop strategy, then ballsed it up by crashing into someone. Very much his form from the last few years.

Are you saying it wasn’t vettel’s fault ironically or do you genuinely think it was Ocon’s fault? Looked to me like he ran into the back of the car in front and made up a fairly wild and obviously not true excuse. How did you see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,961 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Great race. I was cheering for Max but can’t begrudge Hamilton the win today. He was not in the fastest car but still won. Have to give him credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

BikeRacer wrote: »

Erm... nothing in that tweet says anything about it being ok to gain an advantage by going off track unless overtaking. Once again, overtaking isn't mentioned at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭Glico Man

quokula wrote: »
    Erm... nothing in that tweet says anything about it being ok to gain an advantage by going off track unless overtaking. Once again, overtaking isn't mentioned at all.

"Lasting advantage". That's what you need to be reading.

I'd imagine going off track and being able to overtake someone by doing so is gaining a lasting advantage. Which is why he was penalised.

I don't really get why this is difficult to understand. He gained an advantage by going off track. He was told this was against the rules, and as such penalised the advantage gained by giving the position back.

If you're looking for the word 'overtake' you won't find it, because it doesn't exist in that particular set of rules. To see the wood from the trees, you should be asking whether he gained an advantage or not by going all 4 wheels off the track. Which he did. And was penalised for it.

His own fault too. Had he any patience at all, he could've hung back and got Hamilton on either back straight or main straight or even the next lap going into the same corner. Its lack of experience and lack of temperament that cost him his win.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

skipper_G wrote: »
    But that's not what happens. They do not have somebody monitoring every car at every corner for track limits. They do not have sensors in the tarmac to automatically detect them. What actually happens is, the race director forwards suspected infringements to the stewards for investigation. Assuming that was triggered By Red Bull's commenting on it via team radio, Hamilton was then instructed to stop or risk a black and white flag and subsequently a 5 second time penalty.

BS. Other race series manage to capture any and every car running wide at any corner and deal with it.
    I watch Aussie Supercars religiously, nearly every weekend someone chances their arm at particular corners; they always get individual warnings and black flags in short order. F1 is the only race series I've ever watched that simply doesn't bother to enforce track limits 100% of the time consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BikeRacer wrote: »

official announcement that track limits mean nothing and will not monitored :rolleyes: farcical.
    why even bother having track limits anywhere if they cannot be bothered to monitor or enforce them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

That really felt like Red Bull losing the race as opposed to Merc winning it.

Bodes well for a tight season though, and I really really hope we get that. Cracking race and to have that kind of gap at the top, we would have given our grannies for that before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,287 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/wbuxtonofficial/status/1376318714858065930

Not usually one to agree with Buxton, but he nails it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK recent historical example. Lando Norris in Austria, we all saw what he did at the last two turns in order to post fastest lap and get within 5 seconds of penalised Hamilton and take 3rd place. Going forward that surely shouldn't be allowed to stand anymore, should it? Should it even have stood then? Were those sporting regulations quoted in place then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

For what it's worth, Max had fully passed Lewis before going off track. There is one aerial shot from the drivers' right which shows that perfectly. Max seems to have the wheels pointing straight ahead so it was just a slide under acceleration that took him out, but this was after he had passed.

He did not go off track before passing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

F1 is the only race series I've ever watched that simply doesn't bother to enforce track limits 100% of the time consistently.

IndyCar can be the same at times - the race at CotA was farcical.

Didn't realise Sam Collins was an elected Councillor now. He's a great technical analyst. His book Unraced ...: Formula One’s lost cars is a great read about the cars that never made it during the V10 era.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I wouldn't be surprised if Haas either folds, is sold or the team principal is sacked before the season is out.

There is only so much money Gene Haas is going to put into the team. They are going backwards. Great to a Schumacher back on the grid but he's driving a donkey. I don't care too much for Mazespin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,410 ✭✭✭Harika

Keyzer wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if Haas either folds, is sold or the team principal is sacked before the season is out.

There is only so much money Gene Haas is going to put into the team. They are going backwards. Great to a Schumacher back on the grid but he's driving a donkey. I don't care too much for Mazespin.

Haas took this year on purpose, one upgrade and then focus on next year. Papa Mazepin is going to pay this and next year.
    Btw this close title fight might open the door for one of the teams to jump to the front as red bull and Mercedes will hopefully develop until the last race.
    Same thing happened for 2009 where in 2008 the title race between McLaren and Ferrari lasted until the last race what gave brawn and red bull the edge in the development race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Stewards are to blame for the mess here.

Seems to be clear in the race rules that they weren't going to check the corner, but to then allow blatant crossing the line for 30 laps without pulling the drivers up on it is a bit odd. If that's the way they are stewarding it, then fair enough, but do so for the whole race.

To change their opinion on it after 30 laps or so makes them look bad and leads to confusion. Also hard to see how the cars that were going wide were not gaining an advantage for those 30 laps; they most certainly were.

Max going wide gave him an advantage during an overtake, he (or the team) decided to hand it back to Lewis. They didn't have much choice after being warned about it in Lap 30. It doesn't matter if he left the track before, during or after the overtake, he gained an advantage.

Also we all have the benefit in hindsight of knowing where and when Max might have had a better chance of overtaking, he made the decision to do it there and we can't fault him for that.

Either way a great few laps at the end, very exciting. Mercedes isn't slow, despite what Lewis says, they'll improve, just remains to be seen if RB can keep pace with them until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I think what we saw yesterday bodes well. I dont really mind Hamilton winning even though I would love to see Honda crowned champs, its just close racing is more important and we got that right through the field.

Vettel blaming Ocon was embarrassing, if he'd have put his hand up I'd respect that but what he did was something I'd expect from Maldonado, he's experienced enough to know as soon as he went in behind the Alpine like that he was going to loose aero.

With Schumacher, kinda happy for him to trundle around and get seat time, the car is nowhere but the team has a few quid now from Mr. 'abhorrent behaviour' and new sponsors. Hopefully they'll tussle with Williams or maybe even snatch a few points later in the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Keyzer wrote: »

You do realise that Nikita's father Dmitri is worth over $1.5 BILLION don't you? You really think he's going to let his sons team go to the wall and end his time in F1? While the name Haas might well disappear from the grid, the team won't be.

Advertisement