Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

Don’t shoot me - haven’t been following the thread . I have two questions!

1: would anyone even dare buy one without a home charger ? Just in app complex and no prospect of one for a while . Wouldnt be doing a whole lot of driving as have access to other car .

2: does anyone know when you could expect delivery of you ordered one now ? What’s the lead time in these ?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Think there's some available immediately. It's not absolutely essential to homecharge if you don't use too much. You just need to be near (as in short walking distance) from a good 22kw 50kw charger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

Having a home charger, I wouldn’t buy ANY EV without one. Drove to Belfast from Dublin in an MG5 at the weekend and it was a disaster (the charging of it). Castlebellingham, some Castlebellend had a Zoe plugged in for nearly an hour and a half on 50kW while the rest of us sat there waiting. Having a home charger didn’t help then but I knew I just needed 100kms or so to get home and charge. It will make ownership a lot less stressful, not saying it cannot be done though.

Drove the EV6 yesterday, a fine car. Ioniq is cheaper though as KIA only bringing the Earth and GT-Line in. They seem confident they will get over 200 of them into Ireland between now and 2022. Would I have one over the Ioniq? I think I would.

I’ve a video up on my channel if any of you are interested or if I can help answer a question, shout!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

What's your channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Hi MarkN

nice overview on your channel . What’s your opinion on the the GT spec 20 inch wheels on Irish backroads ?

Would ppl be Better of dropping to the earth spec for the potential smoother ride of the 19 inch wheels ?

Or the 20s are fine for backroads ?

you seemed the think the bigger alloys did ok today on backroads during a short spin ?

please comment on motorway consumption at 120 as well in the full review if you can

look forward to the in depth report next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Hi Mark

do you know if Kia Ireland are going to bring in the dual motor awd version here? It’s in the uk already.

Realistically if you don't need the range of the Larger Battery in the Kia, is it still worth a switch from the €42k Ioniq 5?

Is it fair to compare the Premium Ioniq 5 58kw that you tested with the much punchier and 8k more expensive 77kw GT variant of the EV6 in terms of Drive and power etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭MarkN

hi lads - found the 20s ok to be honest and the roads I was on were not great. Model Y was much firmer.

Is it fair to compare the Ioniq 58? Well, 8k is a lot of money and if you're doing monthly repayments, it's quite a bit more PM so I'm not sure it is fair. Would I rather the EV6 if the price gap wasn't as big? Absolutely.

I don't believe KIA Ireland will be bringing in the dual motor. They have presumably hedged their bits that people are not going to pay that sort of money for a KIA here. The Stinger sales numbers here were probably a lesson.

It might be an Earth I have next week so if it is, it will be handy to compare but I will take it onto the motorway although I'd imagine like any EV, a constant 120 will result in low to mid 20kWh/100 - the difference here is that if you've a decent SOC, there's a cushion.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭GusGus

thanks and video is interesting . I’d be interested in how the EV6 compares with I5 in terms of ride - I really think there was too much air in the tyres in the one I drove it was beyond stiff !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

State of Charge

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,072 ✭✭✭✭unkel

This is the EV forum, we do use some EV related terminology here sometimes, maybe someone should do up a glossary 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Are all the earth model interiors seat colours the same?

They are listed as "Charcoal Grey Vegan Leather Seat Upholstery" but the one in my local dealer was a light grey & almost white seat.

It put me off somewhat as not sure how well it would wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I’ve the exact same question lined up for the local dealer .

Looking at the earth models on Twitter from the uk last week the seats are a dark grey .

looking at the photos from Twitter of the irish earth models they are cream , which would out me off .

will try post photos Twitter if I’m allowed .

In the UK though they have something called the GT Air trim as opposed to Earth. So maybe that's the difference. It was the same in my local dealership, but the car was white (as opposed to pearl) as maybe there's something special about it.

Not too sure what I'm driving next week. I'd assume the driving experience is basically the same.

There is a German youtuber currently driving 1000km in a RWD 77kw EV6. It isn't finished yet but it looks like he'll do 1000km in about 9 hours 20 minutes.

With many of the longer range EVs for sale these days, the range of the car or even speed of charging is no longer the limiting factor here. The humans in the car are. They need to have breaks, go to the toilet, eat.

Of course the above only holds if there is a decent public charging network...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I spotted an EV6 in the wild in Galway over the weekend. It came out of Kenny's dealership and launched itself past me on the road. Very impressive looking machine and now that I have seen it in the flesh, I definitely prefer the look over the Ioniq 5. Shame it is so much more expensive though.

So I went and drove the Skoda enqay as a comparison to the EV6. It convinced me to go for the EV6. By the time I'd added in all the options to get the equivalent car to the GT line I was at 63K and had to start pealing back options to get to the grant ceiling. Now, you might as do you really need all those options and sure aren't they gimmicks but most of the driver assist stuff I decided I would actually use and things like the heat pump I felt are smart to get. The clincher was that it has a max charge capacity of 125kw versus the 350kw max of the EV6.

The drive itself was eerily quiet. The quietest car I've ever driven. You feel a little like you're driving a tank but it was very zippy when it needed to be. Very nice to drive, as was the Ioniq 5. It also looks very well, the pictures don't do it justice and the boot was massive. I've a test drive of the EV6 on Tuesday but I'm most likely to go with it.

Funny you mention that! My brother in law saw the EV6 in an ad last night and he instantly liked the "futuristic" look of it. I explained it's the same car underneath as the Ioniq 5, which he has on order. He said he might cancel that order so and get the Kia. Until I told him that it's €13k more 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I test drove a red Earth model last week , I didn't like the red on the website but in person it was really nice .

It had the cream seats and they suited it really well , reminds me of the look of the Mazda cream seats with the MX-6 and CX-5 .

I really liked it and I have it ahead of the Ioniq5 in my personal preference right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Miscreant

For sure. 13k is a very large chunk of change to handover for basically the same underpinnings. I know there are slight differences in trim but I don't think the value is there, despite the EV6 being the better looking of the 2. This is coming from someone who doesn't have even the 38k to spend on the Ioniq 5 so I think I will stick to my "old" Ioniq for another while yet. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

From what I can see for the €12k RRP uplift from 58kWh Ioniq 5 Executive to 77kWh EV6 Earth you get:

+19kWh extra useable battery (Bigger battery is always better - How is the 58kWh charging curve?)

+144km WLTP range (I would estimate 305km vs 420km 'real world')

+Heat pump (Great during winter - I really miss it after moving from Ioniq 28 to 'pre-facelift' TM3 SR+)

+Leather seats (+ both front seats with electric adjustment and driver memory)

+Electric tailgate

+V2L

A better comparison is €49k 72kWh Ioniq 5 Premium vs €50k 77kWh EV6 Earth. For €1k extra you still add:

+5kWh extra useable battery (+20km 'real world' range)

+ Front passenger electric seat adjustment

+Electric tailgate

+V2L

The 72kWh Ioniq 5 Exec Plus at €45k is probably the sweet spot but I still prefer the EV6.

Most people don't need any of that and would (or should) not fork out for it. Heatpump is only useful if you have a tiny battery AND can't pre-heat really. 300km motorway range at 120km/h is plenty as long as you don't regularly need to public fast charge where it is problematic. I would fork out for V2L myself as an optional extra, but again, most people don't need it (a €40 200W inverter from Halfords can charge a laptop too)

That's exactly it, I think some of the above is miss representing the differences between the two cars. The Hyundai dealer was saying the same, "its just a different skin for 15k more".

Depending on how you fiance the car as well, with Hyundai charging 2% more for HP the cost of a mid level Ioniq is working out the same or more than the GT earth.

Sure look, it's all Marketing, having a cheap entry level builds an impression the Ioniq is better value.

I dont disagree with this.

I think in reality what people are really asking for here is a 58KW (or thereabouts) EV6. I think if KIA had brought that in, they'd have stole a lot of sales from VW ID.4 and the Ioniq 5. But they haven't, so they wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭DaveByDavid

In reality I think the 73kw Ioniq 5 would cost a bit more than that.

The 58kw exec-plus is being quoted as 43,000 from dealer I'm talking with, so 73kw would probably be around 47,000.

They probably just decided they would be competing against themselves of they brought in the short range, I understand it's the same in the UK. KIA doesn't necessarily want to cannibalise Hyundai market share. They way they have it set up, they're really covering the market broadly and deeply between the two offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

can you get a tow bar fitted on the EV6 ?

you couldnt on the Kia E niro but can on the Skoda Enyaq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Yes - There's a 'trailer package' included on both Earth and GT-Line. I guess it's just the preparation for installing a tow bar later.

The brochure also shows an optional removable tow bar. I haven't enquired about the cost from the dealer.

All models seem to be rated for 1,600KG.

Advertisement