Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Kia EV6

• 21-03-2021 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭

The sister car to the Ioniq 5 - the Kia looks interesting too.

kia-cv-gallery-three-quarter-front.jpg

It's looking like the Ioniq 5, Kia EV6 & ID.4 are already well ahead of the Model Y, a good year before it even appears in €urope.
    I think someone would specifically want to own a Tesla, in order to chose the Model Y over those three.

Competition will be great anyway & I'm eager to see the Hyundai & Kia, hopefully early in Q3 this year.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/03/15/kia-reveals-the-first-images-of-the-ev6-design/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

it's this, the ioniq 5 of the MG Marvel R for my next car..............decisions decisions !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

it's this, the ioniq 5 of the MG Marvel R for my next car..............decisions decisions !

The ID.4 seems to be getting rave reviews too..........
    Seriously contemplating one of those three myself, in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Kramer wrote: »
    The ID.4 seems to be getting rave reviews too..........

Where did you see rave reviews? I saw two reviews in the last few days, one from Jonny Smith and one from Fully Charged Show and the car came out fairly mediocre in both

unkel wrote: »
    Where did you see rave reviews?

Bob Flavin - he's a expert reviewer :D.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

First thing that came to mind when I looked at the photos of the exterior - Citroen DS - just gorgeous :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

How many of these or the Ioniq5 will make it to Ireland in 2021?

Kramer wrote: »
    Bob Flavin - he's a expert reviewer :D.

If you are seriously considering buying one, based on the one good review from Bob Flavin, you need your head examined. Hard to tell sometimes whether you are trolling or not with these sort of remarks, you might not even realise it yourself at this stage :p

At least go watch the above two that I mentioned and a few others. Jonny is pretty trustworthy and independent. Fullycharged is evangelistic about EVs, so usually lyrical about any new one, but not so much so about the ID.4

If you are seriously considering buying one, based on the one good review from Bob Flavin, you need your head examined. Hard to tell sometimes whether you are trolling or not with these sort of remarks, you might not even realise it yourself at this stage :p

At least go watch the above two that I mentioned and a few others. Jonny is pretty trustworthy and independent. Fullycharged is evangelistic about EVs, so usually lyrical about any new one, but not so much so about the ID.4

In my defense, Bob did say the ID.4 was the new king of EVs.

He also said EVs can catch fire when charging, setting one's fuse box & house on fire.............so that was worrying :eek:. That's why he never plugs in his EV overnight - he'll only charge it when he is up/awake, because it's just too damn dangerous :D.

Fully Charged = bought & paid for PR. Obviously still have a thing for VW after dieselgate so I gave up on them ages ago.

Before we got the Ioniq, I had done probably 10k kms in loaner BEVs, before deciding & I've have driven quite a few more BEVs since. I wouldn't make any decision to plonk down €50k on a car, based solely on a (likely sponsored & paid for) reviewer's opinion.

That said, I think Nobby from here also liked the ID.4 but this US guy, who lives on the road in EVs, was also very impressed by the ID.4.
    eTron levels of silence/refinement & comfort.

Anyway, I don't always troll :D.

So I'll be looking at those 3, hopefully early in Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I tend to read Matt Watson reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Some information on UK models

https://www.electrifying.com/blog/article/new-kia-ev6-can-bash-supercars-and-go-317-miles-on-a-charge

Standard £40,895
    GT-Line £43,895
    GT £58,295
    These are all 77kWh versions. 58kWh coming next year.

That GT has 572bhp

• Advertisement

JohnC. wrote: »
    That GT has 572bhp

Wow, that's whiplash territory :eek:.
    Caravan fans will be delighted to hear than the Kia can also tow up to 1,600kg and has the ability to power external electric devices with a load of up to 3.6kW

Can tow 1600Kg & looks well in the red, IMO.

Kia%20EV6%201.jpg?width=820&height=530

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Premier video. There's a drag race about 12 minutes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

It's a really fine machine, but for the mid-range market it will be the 58kWh usable battery, so we can probably imagine about 350km and I would guess priced around 40k. So perhaps nothing coming immiently to challenge the ID.4 1st pricepoint? I imagine the Ioniq 5 will be similar pricing, and about 48k EUR and more for the larger battery options.

JohnC. wrote: »
    Premier video. There's a drag race about 12 minutes in.

Bloody McLaren just pipped it :D.

Video is a good example showing the superiority of even relatively cheap EVs over ICE cars, even supercars. All of those cars would have overtaken the Kia in a mile drag race. But in a quarter mile EV is the one to beat.

Electrics need a 2 speed gearbox then they would have plenty of torque at higher speeds if you want to drive well beyond legal limits that is.

You can drive well beyond legal limits in every single EV for sale in this country today with the fixed gear no problem :D

I know what you mean though, an EV would have far better continued acceleration at higher speeds if it had more gears. I guess the only EVs we will see that on are very high end super / hyper cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭cannco253

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭Orebro

I've said it before but I find it hilarious that the motoring journos have now gone from the gold standard, used since the stone age 0-60mph benchmarks, to these totally unrealistic, non real world quarter mile challenges on runways just because the EVs are kicking ass at the 0-60. Who needs a car that will accelerate to a prison sentence speed when you can murder anything from a standstill all the way to the legal limits (and a little bit beyond if required).

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jordan191

Shouldn't be a problem, i jumped from a 2011 1.6 diesel passat to a model 3 performance (490bhp) & my insurance dropped from 600 to 550 euro fully comp

• Advertisement

cannco253 wrote: »
    I wonder how insurance companies will rate an EV with this much power?

I've an EV that's more powerful than that, which is also very expensive to fix when it gets crashed / broken with expensive hard to get parts, yet I pay only about €500 fully comprehensive, full NCB protection, limited business use, etc.

In other words: insurance is not an issue. From statistics it looks like EV owners are safe drivers, insurance is relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've an EV that's more powerful than that, which is also very expensive to fix when it gets crashed / broken with expensive hard to get parts, yet I pay only about €500 fully comprehensive, full NCB protection, limited business use, etc.

In other words: insurance is not an issue. From statistics it looks like EV owners are safe drivers, insurance is relatively cheap.

I’m guessing that’s owing to the tiny numbers. Wait a decade when every scrote can purchase them and then we’ll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭Old diesel

I’m guessing that’s owing to the tiny numbers. Wait a decade when every scrote can purchase them and then we’ll see.

I agree with this.

Its a challenge for the longer term.

Model 3s are just too attainable in the real world for idiots to not eventually get hold of them and have accidents.

Lads will see Tesla videos online and decide they want some of that action in terms of acceleration etc.

Hard to see it ending well.

Edit.

Its actually surprising how lenient Irish insurance companys are with the likes of Model 3s pricewise. These bucks have a historical track record of panicking over the difference between a 1.6 and a 2 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Old diesel wrote: »
    I agree with this.

Its a challenge for the longer term.

Model 3s are just too attainable in the real world for idiots to not eventually get hold of them and have accidents.

Lads will see Tesla videos online and decide they want some of that action in terms of acceleration etc.

Hard to see it ending well.

Edit.

Its actually surprising how lenient Irish insurance companys are with the likes of Model 3s pricewise. These bucks have a historical track record of panicking over the difference between a 1.6 and a 2 litre.

Insurance is often primarily driven by the profile of the driver as opposed to the performance of the vehicle

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Insurance is often primarily driven by the profile of the driver as opposed to the performance of the vehicle

And by profile of the driver, it's as much about things the driver can't control such as where they live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JPLee

The first EV6 for Ireland is supposed to produce in July.

This means it will arrive in September.

Anything you would like to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

JPLee wrote: »
    The first EV6 for Ireland is supposed to produce in July.

This means it will arrive in September.

Anything you would like to know?

Hyeong nim, what is your job title in Kia? :)

What are the trim specifications available in Ireland?
    How much will it cost at each trim/battery capacity level?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 JPLee

Hyeong nim, what is your job title in Kia? :)
    -I'm a sort of Salesperson

What are the trim specifications available in Ireland?
    -We're thinking about having three trims, but high trim will be available later.

How much will it cost at each trim/battery capacity level?
    -We're considering it. Our headache all the time. But definitely, it will be higher than e-Niro and less than Model3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

Will definitely be following with interest. I’ve my heart set on Soul at the moment but yet to convince other half. But watching the EV6 for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,178 ✭✭✭✭fits

JPLee wrote: »
    -We're considering it. Our headache all the time. But definitely, it will be higher than e-Niro and less than Model3.

What sort of range will be on basic trim?

Advertisement