Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Entry level Taycan .. but by the time you put on the options that are generally seen as must have in a luxury sports saloon you'd be another €20k+ On top of the €93k ... so not really comparing apples with apples

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Conservatively spec’ing a Taycan RWD I’m up at €110k in no time at all. The list price is a myth. A well spec’d M50 might be close in price to a poverty spec Taycan RWD but for me personally I’d need to be able to afford to tick a lot of those option boxes on the Porsche. For me these two cars are not on the same level.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I know, I know about the options, but if I am brutally honest, I'd rather take a base Taycan with zero options over any i4 no matter how well specced.

To buy an i4 or Taycan for me over another Tesla would be a choice of quality and drivers car. Despite a huge drop in tech. And I would have to fork out tens of thousands of EUR. Same for either an i4. Or for tiny more money a Taycan. Why on earth would I buy an i4 then? For me it makes no sense.

The overwhelming majority of i4 buyers have never owned an EV before, let alone a Tesla. For a lot of them it's an easy choice and a perfect upgrade from their 4 pot diesel BMW. Alas not so simple for me.

Strange as it may sound to many of you reading this, an ever lower level i4 (35?) might tempt me. Or I will have to hold on to the dream and get financially very lucky and buy a Taycan. For now I am happy in Tesla land...

It's all about personal likes ... for me I've tried the Tesla and just didn't like it and went for a 330e instead .. again .. apples and oranges .. but i just couldn't warm to the Tesla. So for me I'd differ with you and see the i4 as a no brainer to the Tesla (subject to a test drive!) ... the entry level Porsche will still be about €20k more than I'd be spending on an i4 .. so not really comparable

€75k + €20k = €95k

I hear ya. €75k is huge money to be spending on a car. And another €20k is an awful big step up again money wise. But for me that would be VERY comparable. The only difference would be to leave out an expensive family holiday or two. Or to chuck in your high end watch. To miss your pension contribution for the year and / or next year. I'd much rather go all out and buy a dream / aspirational car. And suffer on a front or two. Than buy a second best car you could easily afford.

That's just me though. And I would never encourage anyone to go into debt / finance to pay for a car you can't afford to buy outright. I never have and never will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Agreed, the BMW is premium, the other isn’t and that’s from personal experience.

Which are we talking about now? Tesla is less premium than BMW, but Porsche is far more special than BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

My i4 m50 is coming in 2023, I ordered in Oct. I really want to go test drive a Taycan or an Audi Etron GT but genuinely scared of what might happen if I do.

Ive been speccing up a Taycan Sport Turismo GTS for the fun of it and with a bare enough minimum spec it’s €150k. In terms of power it seems the one that is closest to the i4 m50.

There is no way I would buy a Taycan with a base spec, I’d definitely buy a 2nd hand one with decent spec if only there was a few quid of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭v10

I’ve said this here already, if your the type of person that’s going to add €15-€20k worth of options to a M50 then you won’t be happy with a base model RWD Taycan. While I agree the Taycan is on another level to the i4 M50, I’m not going to drive a bog standard Taycan just to have a Taycan, those that do are more about looking good in front of the neighbours. I want a car that has all the mod cons because that’s how I like my car .. the Taycan specced like the M50 I’ve ordered is €35k more expensive than the M50, and that’s why I haven’t ordered a Taycan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Interesting conversation this. Depends on what you consider mod cons. The base Taycan has a lot of tech but you need to add about 10k minimum to get a few things on the options list (wheels, sports chrono, performance battery maybe and air suspension). Its like buying a house, do you want the best house on worst street or the worst house on the best street? Residual values are also a consideration the Porsche being stronger.

I was in a Tesla M3P. I liked that car a lot. Mine was well build, very reliable and super fast. But it lacked that feeling of special, underwhelming looks and very common on the road. Once you have android auto or carplay, and heated seats any car has all the tech you need. The M50 was not out at the time so not an option. But lets not forget that is also a hideous car to look at (lets not beat around the bush here, that front end is nausea inducing and the rest is all a bit "lexus" looking). While I am not into making the neighbours jealous, I do want that "look back after locking" feeling from car thats 60k plus. I am aghast at the prices of a m40 or m50 BMW. Have to agree with Unkle at those prices the stretch up to a Taycan is not a ludicrous one if thats where you aspirations lie. If you can spend 85k on a BMW you can spend 105k on a Porsche, we are past the saving money point. Also agree with him that buying your second or third EV is different to your first. I discovered after the tesla that all the tech, whoopee cushions, OTA updates and autopilot dont make a car good for me. I would respectfully suggest your average BMW fan would be the same. I am a huge BMW fan and love how they drive, but left my allocation on the new M4 because it had gotten so expensive I was tempted by what else I could buy for the money, or what else I could get for a lot less money.

Digiman "I really want to go test drive a Taycan or an Audi Etron GT but genuinely scared of what might happen if I do." ....be very afraid of this. I was shopping in Joe Duffy Mini with my mother in law who is a rabid mini fan to get a new PHEV Countryman. I decided to go into Porsche beside it to look at a Taycan. I went in on spec Saturday afternoon and I knew the sales guy so he handed me keys to one and off I went. Within 5 minutes I was in love and after 10 minutes I was mentally moving money around and selling assets to get one. Order was placed 24 hours later. If you like the feeling of driving the Taycan is unbeatable in the EV space. And for a Porsche they are excellent value being prices the same as a 911 in every other country but tax here makes them much more affordable (or the 911 unaffordable).

You make your choice these are all luxury good so its about preference. I dont see anyone being disappointed with a i40 or m50 but at the price I know my mind would wander.

Post edited by Fitz II on

I'd love to drop an extra €25-30k and get the Porsche .. but the i4 would be close to top of the budget being realistic and if I mentioned skipping a holiday or two to get the Taycan I'd be divorced in the morning.

The wife's main priority in life is the annual holiday and there is never any negotiation on that !!

I will have to test drive the Taycan.

Totally agree with your underwhelming and common comments.

Lol, same here :) I think she’s even afraid to ask how much the i4 is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭sk8board

A decent spec i4 40 mSport can be had for €67k if you exclude the bigger alloys and msport pro plus - I think plenty will drop the Pro Plus on this 4gc - on the previous model 4gc the msport pro plus included the ZF gearbox and motorsport brakes (made by Brembo), amongst other things, so it couldn’t be dropped.

as for prices, a new 420d mSport can be bought from garage stocks today for €67k, there’s no reason to go to €73/75k at all.

it’s still a huge €10k uplift on the previous gen

Yep they can all be got with lower spec, including the M50. I just added the extras to balance them as the M50 comes with more kit as standard. Personally I like 360 cameras, park assist, driving assist etc so I'll add the packs, but correct, they can be got for less of course.

Had a test drive an i4 eDrive 40 mSport yesterday. Confirmed my decision to order the M50 version!

Unfortunately was told my car is likely to be delayed until July/August now 😡

Is that much of a delay? When was it originally due to arrive?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,404 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What kind of money is an I4 coming in per month on lease? Have a 3 series diesel currently but the I4 looks like something I can live with next time

yeah apparently so, I ordered back in October, was due to be March delivery when I ordered ..

He also said no more orders are to be taken this year for the i4 ..

• Advertisement

I’m not surprised they’ve stopped taking orders. Even before the production stoppage people were being told mid 2023 for new orders.

balls - the dealer I spoke with told me I could order this month and could expect delivery Q1 next year. I still haven't taken one for a spin so I won't order until I have driven one.

Unfortunately the missus has used her veto and the Sanmarino Green is off the table. So - Black, Blue or Red ?

Colour is a personal preference obviously but they had a black 420d GC at the dealership also and it done nothing for me, black makes this car look very bland imo.

I had a black MkV GTI and it was a killer to keep it fresh looking. On the BMW I think the many of shadowline features will be lost on it. Portimao Blue is the other option - I love it but its the colour of our 330e and I don't know if I want to have the same colour again. When washed and polished it is stunning looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Brooklyn grey on the m sport is quite nice and contrasts well with the black shadow line trim.

re. Delays and no new orders this year , I can see this getting worse and wouldn’t be surprised if cars due this year run into next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Mine is due April but haven’t received confirmation from dealer yet.

If it’s delayed so be it, out of dealers control. I’d be more concerned that if it’s delayed by a long period then the price may increase significantly due to component price increases. We may be told when the production slot time comes around, that will be a few grand more than your originally agreed price!

Yeah I think that was it, the black just makes the details of the car disappear. The i4 I drove was in Brooklyn grey and the contrasting black and shadlowline pieces just make it look better, they're all lost on a black one. I've order Brooklyn grey so I was happy to see it in the flesh.

My history of car colours going back 10 years: black, white, black, black, white, black

I’ve gone with black for the i4 :) I was tempted by the Brooklyn grey but I didn’t like how it looked with large pieces of black trim over each side at the rear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

A Black i4 would need the chrome finish that some of the publicity photo cars have.

But not sure you can even get that chrome finish here.

The Blue should work well enough - although if the Green was off table I'd probably look at either Brooklyn or skyscraper grey.

Mind you I've only seen skyscraper on the configurator

• Advertisement

The chrome trim is standard on the front and sides, extra for black trim there. The black trim on the back is on all cars, can’t be replaced with chrome, only with carbon fibre for an extra €3k

I’d have to have the full shadow line (black) trim on the front, mirrors, window linings etc. Not a fan of chrome.

Advertisement