Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW i4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Just to clarify and to ensure we are on same page.

I mean the chrome finish around the windows as in these photos.

Haven't seen that yet on a rhd i4 in pictures or on YouTube

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/heres-your-first-look-production-bmw-i4%3famp=1

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

High gloss shadow line trim is a standard option on the i4 so you’d have to ask for that standard box to be unticked I guess. That gives you the black lining around the door windows

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Joe Duffy said they've a launch event this Saturday, 10-3. No test drives though

Lol, launch event with no cars :) First customer cars at the port in Belgium so definitely won’t be at dealerships for Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭rodge123

Was told by dealer last week that they’d know delivery dates in few days…7 days later and nothing, saying bmw haven’t told them yet.

Has anyone due a 40 in March or April been given a confirmed date?

• Advertisement

Dealership I’m with has 7-8 40s on order, 2 M50s. The M50s are on the way, sales guy said they have no dates for the 40s yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭stesaurus

@UhOh What dealer you with?

Post edited by stesaurus on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭carsfan2

First Irish test. Brooklyn grey looks great.

^^^ Bob Flavin is great, and it looks like he enjoyed it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Test driving one tomorrow, really looking forward to it.

Bob loved it, hopefully will get to see a few more Irish reviews of it.

• Advertisement

Looking forward to your review Digiman.

Bob said it was up with the Taycan as a driver’s car.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Stunning car and I would 100 percent buy it if we had a better charging network.

This car oozes class and puts all the others firmly in the shade…..make that the dark…..apart from The Taycan…I love that one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If only they gave a choice of grilles. That front is horrific, although at least the number plate breaks it up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,226 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hoping to test drive next week. So what's exactly the difference between the i4 Sport and the i4 M-Sport? Apart from the better choice of colours of the latter?

From what I can see the Sport has the nicer wheels and has cloth interior, where the M-Sport has vinyl interior (sensatec) and a nicer M-Sport steering wheel. Or am I missing something here? No changes to the suspension? If so I'd prefer the Sport. If I could live with the very limited range of colours...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nice car, but you can see the flaws of it not being a ground up EV. I thought bmw would have done better to be honest.

It might inside some bmw owners to swap to BEV which is a good thing. It’s also noticeable that they have reduced the cluster of buttons in the car and are utilising the centre screen which is very Tesla like, and I suspect the bmw fanboys won’t like that. One thing I notice getting out of my model s and into the 530e, is the blanket of buttons in the 530e. I like the simplicity of the Tesla more but that’s personal choice.

Is it worth the money, no, but no new EV is.

Msport is 65k but not,sure of the cost of these cars as reviewed above as they have some additional options selected.

White is free from bmw currently, it’s alpine white so not the pearl multi coat.

Its nearly 20k more expensive than the base Model 3 and the Model 3 is more efficient with the same performance. The M50 be nice to see.

With the exception of the iX shared platforms looks to be the way BMW intend to do EVs for the next few years anyway - i4 now, I believe an i7 is up next, i3 (rumours of this being a China only model), and i5. All shared platforms with their ICE equivalent.

The curved screen from the i4 will seemly make it to the LCI 4 series too.

I,suppose,we,shouldn’t complain, the early ev makers (Nissan, Tesla etc) have forced the hand of the big companies. This is just he start. It will take a generation but I suspect my kids will never drive an ICE car, the youngest one at least!

My kids will likely never drive an ICE car and the eldest is already driving (aged 17)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭creedp

What are peoples thoughts on kids learning to drive? Should they still learn in a manual if available or just forget about manuals as the future is all auto?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭eagerv

Our young fella took his test last year, did it in a manual. Sort of glad he did, at least he will get the pleasure (His words🙂) for a few years of using gears.

Been over that for the last few years. Unless your kids have a real appreciation for (classic) cars, there is no point at all teaching them to drive in a manual ICE car. All cars will be electric soon, even their own first car can be electric (for a few grand). Rental cars are not available until they are 21 anyway (5 years from now for a teenager who is 16 year old now) and by then will be almost all electric too

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭td2008

Had a look round it today, same car nobby had above. very impressed, hadn't looked at the new 4 in person since it came out, actually like the grill now 😊Inside felt like a proper m with the seats and steering wheel.

They said test drives from next week so looking forward to trying it out

It used to be a big no no, but nowadays with EV’s and even hot hatches and DSG boxes I wouldn’t be too concerned.

my last M3 was an SMG and I haven’t had a manual car since my S3. I think personally, those days are gone.

My oldest is 10 so I don’t think I need worry about him. Once the steering wheel is shaped like a PS controller we’re grand 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭creedp

Daughter is 18 and looking to learn to drive. I have a manual diesel 7 seater and an EV. Thinking of teaching her to drive the EV as unlikely she will ever need to drive a manual.

Read on another forum, people being quoted mid/late 2023 for these now in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭digiman

Dealer told me this week hopefully 2023!! Not looking good. On one hand I want to go for something else, the Etron gt is a stunning car and really really like the look of it, more so than the Taycan. But then I’m also like, just wait it out and don’t do anything silly!! I’d like to scratch the itch of getting a 3L petrol, but there is just no value out there and very limited cars for sale even.

Had a spin in the 40 version, plenty of power in it to be fair, the m50 will be a total animal altogether. Was very very wet when I drove it and given it’s rwd I was fairly cautious and didn’t get to drive it on any engaging roads with a max speed limit of 60kmph.

So wasn’t really a test drive where you could read much into it to be honest, I wasn’t a huge fan of idrive 8 but might just be because it’s new to me.

Wether I go for something else in the meantime I won’t cancel my order anyway, but at this stage the new electric 5 series will be due out and that would also interest me if they don’t change the looks of it from where it is too much.

i5 will be an interesting one alright, seems like the i7 might arrive before it so maybe later in 2023 for the electric 5 series. I’d imagine it’ll come in a 40 & 50 guise with a top of the range M60 variant like the iX, and it’ll certainly be more on par with the eTron GT & Taycan than the i4.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Saw my first one today. Have to say this is not a nice colour, totally flat no metallic, like primer waiting on proper paint. Also it a much higher cars than I though, at first I though it was a X4. Is quite dominant on the road, I noticed it was something different straight off. This one was suffering from small alloys a little bit for such a big car. My opinion is still mixed.

• Advertisement

Definitely needs the 20 inch wheels IMO, even 19s look lost on it. Although I don’t think you can get the 20s on the eDrive 40. That colour is Brooklyn Grey, its not a metallic colour, it’s BMWs Nardo Grey equivalent.

Advertisement