Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Is he not signed for 3 years? this year and another 2, that was my understanding

The head coach role is funded by IRFU, the other coachs have to come from the province budget was my understanding?

I fully agree he will be back with the Boks to win a 3rd WC, or try to

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

I couldn’t bare another year of “the Byrne supremacy”, play Barrett at 10 please Leo 🙏🏻

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You know it's not Beauden signing, right?

all.rugby has him starting a total of 1 game at outhalf at Super Rugby or Test level (the 2019 RWC pool game against Namibia).

Why?

Ross and Harry have been playing well for Leinster.

The lad we have signed is not a 10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Fir the sake of Irish rugby, they should do something like you can only have three senior players per position. After that another Provence can choose your fourth for two years. It is kinda of happening unofficially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because that's not feasible between the way internationals/CCs have their minutes managed and injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

No, we should not apply any arbitrary blanket rules like this, particularly when it comes to players who have come up through their provincial system, and players should not be treated like commodities. Maybe Sam Prendergast doesn't want to be chosen by Connacht or whoever?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

If Prendergast doesn't want to go to Connacht he won't have to.. it's up to him.

There is a scenario where he could be starting outhalf for Leinster next season..

Post edited by Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3 on

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Its champions cup final week.. why is this even a topic of conversation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Skyfloater

Looking at the Toulouse Harlequins highlights again. And while at first you're thinking Yikes, they ran in 6 tries against Harlequins, I feel it was more defense lapses than Toulouse brilliance.

What do you think Leinster can learn from the Harlequins 4 tries?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

If he doesn't want to go then nobody should put pressure on him. I heard about Carbery crying as he signed for munster*. He didn't want to go but they applied pressure on him for the sake of Irish rugby.

*Heard it on one of the podcasts maybe The 42. Can't remember.

I'm all for sharing players, especially on loan, where it benefits both clubs and the player. But not in favour of press-ganging them.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭jonok28

What the media and most non Leinster fans are doing right now writing Leinster off is actually so beneficial for Leinster. If the weeks leading up to the game Leinster are written off as the underdog, it removes the weight of expectation that Leinster at times struggle under. It puts the expectation firmly on Toulouse to deliver. Leinster can be expressive, free and have a nobody believes in us mentality which really galvanizes a squad. So let them all keep talking, I have a feeling Leinster will benefit from all the talk.

Completely agree. It's been an absolute pleasure to support Leinster for the last 20 years. They don't win everything but that's not a reasonable expectation. They win a lot and play nice rugby (I expect less of that with Neinaber), and they get deep into competitions. We get to follow Leinster to knock-out stages of domestic and European competitions pretty much every year.

They haven't won for a few years but if we're being honest, I would prefer to follow them to finals they dont win than follow other teams who have no chance of winning.

This might be an unpopular opinion but I enjoy the whole season, not just the finals. I'm disappointed when they don't win (mostly for the players). But i know they did their best and that's what I want. There are no shirkers on the field on either team in Pro rugby.

TLDR: Teams aren't supposed to win everything in sport. Just enjoy the season-long ride.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I don't think that's true on Carbery - I don't think he was jumping up and down about going, but I think he recognised it as an opportunity to be the nailed on starter and to give him a chance to stake a big claim for the Irish shirt. I've heard him directly speaking on this point, and don't think the characterisation that he "cried" is accurate.

I don't think in any scenario the players can really be forced into something they don't want to do - Sam Prendergast could shut this loan move down if he wanted to. The reason it's gathering steam must be because it appeals to him (chance to play with his brother, chance to potentially push for the starting shirt).

I don't agree with the move, but I do think it won't happen if he doesn't want it.

I think the crying part is a bit much, I think he realised that Leinster seen him as a 15 and that Ireland wanted him as a 10, if he wanted to play 10 then he would have to go to Munster

I did hear that when Madigan was leaving the IRFU set up a meeting with Musgrave, he never went. He had zero interest in joining and that was the end of that conversation.

Was it the right choice for either player? Would both have been better going to Ulster? the way Madigan now talks about Ulster I think he missed an opp but of course when he moved from Leinster PJ was still around so not sure if even on the cards then

Fair play on Carbery. Just reporting I heard it. I wouldn't have a clue if it's true beyond that.

But signing a contract doesn't mean he wanted to go or that he wasn't pressured into it. Well never know if players are enthusiastic about going. I just hope they only sign when they actually want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I love watching Leinster all season long. Maybe. I am too invested in supporting them. I always want them to win. I want them to produce great players and keep said players.

This season has been less enjoyable for me. It's due to the fact that I think Leinster have become less. More average and really not a team to fear. It's concurrent with the national team in a way, good side but not capable of the big moments.

I can't even speculate as to the cup match. I feel we've become so meh and shorn of cohesion. I hope we win. I do not expect to win. Completely different feeling to the previous years for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Predicated (and favoured) Backline for final:
    9. JGP

10. RB

11. Lowe

12. Oz

13. Henshaw

14. Larmour

15.Keegan

Sub backs: McGrath, Frawley (covers 10, 12, 15), Jimmy (covers 13, 11, 14, 15)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I find myself coming on here less and less and posting less for reasons you've outlined here.

Boards has always been a complete doomfest compared to other forums but it's seeping into other places I frequent.

Which is a pity because there are posters out there that are genuinely engaging and interesting. But it's becoming more of a rare commodity.

What I have found recently is that the worst part about a Leinster or Irish rugby loss recently is less the loss itself - that stings but I can move on - and more about resigning myself to having to read through pages and pages of utter trollop from doom merchants feeding off negativity.

One could say I don't have to read any of it and I don't have to visit these sites. But I've been a forum user in various instances for over 25 years. It's where I go to engage. It makes me sad that places I used to enjoy engaging with people have become an exhausting place full of exhausting people happy to wallow in misery.

And now to end it on a better note. You can't write how good a final match up this is going to be. 2 European powerhouses ready to go toe to toe and playing delightful rugby. Leinster has given me some of my favourite memories in my life. I am hoping to be privileged with one more this Saturday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

My prediction:

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. Ryan
    5. McCarthy
    6. Baird
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Osborne
    13. Henshaw
    14. Larmour
    15. Keenan

Bench

Kelleher, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Jenkins, Conan, Foley, Frawley, Van Der Flier

I think it'll be a 6-2 split but if they go 5-3, Van Der Flier to 7 and JOB on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,520 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I think Larmour deserves to start. I'd be tempted by 6-2 with JVDF to come off the bench, Luke and Frawley covering the backs.

I would love to see Foley onto the bench, but given he has never played in the Champions Cup, I'd be utterly shocked if we included him on the bench for this one.

I think there is a decent chance we might go 6-2, but instead of Connors making the bench we might go with both Jenkins & Molony (to cover James Ryan's lack of match fitness).

Either way, I hope Jimmy O'Brien is in the match 23. I'd have him starting in the 14 shirt (harsh on Larmour, but it's a European Cup Final, we have to pick our best side), but worst case scenario I'd like to see him in the 23 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,649 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The question over Foley's experience is legitimate but so is the question over Luke's performances of late. The "gamble" would be worth it for me. And it can't have hurt that Foley did well on the wing last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭StormForce13

You speak for me there too! Over the past five seasons, there have probably only been about 10 weekends when I've gone to bed disappointed because Leinster have lost a game! (I don't let those bad South African trip results bother me too much, because I'm already resigned to loosing them!).

I'm hoping that I won't be going to bed unhappy for the next five weeks!

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think it's 100% the right decision to make, but I'd be skeptical of them making it all the same.

I love McGrath but I think he has been poor for a while now, if it was me I would go for Foley

My prediction:

1. Porter
    2. Sheehan
    3. Furlong
    4. JenkinsOB
    5. McCarthy
    6. Baird
    7. Connors
    8. Doris
    9. JGP
    10. Byrne
    11. Lowe
    12. Osborne
    13. Henshaw
    14. Larmour
    15. Keenan

Bench

Kelleher, Healy, Ala'alatoa, Ryan, Conan, Foley, JOB, Van Der Flier

I can't see us going into a final with only one player in the 23 who is a recognised goal kicker, and no replacement at out half.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Keenan to miss URC knockouts and Summer tour with Sevens

https://x.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1793272612967088528?t=UJ1_-HFqe-bDhB4ymH81fw&s=19

Advertisement