Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭jonok28

It's not the worst idea but it isn't a great idea either. Yes he would get more game time, but he could develop bad habits out in Connacht during his most important learning years that may stall his progress. That is pretty much what happened to Carbery, yes he did get injured too but mediocre coaching stalled him too. Stay at Leinster, get more game time assigned to him and push through the competition and make a claim for the jersey.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Let him go on a years loan, and then come back with brother in tow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I'd be surprised, he's getting pretty decent at gametime at Leinster for his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I can understand the attraction of the move from his perspective. He's getting game time in Leinster but it's fairly limited in terms of minutes. He has about 386 minutes in his 14 appearances; it's largely bench showings.

In Connacht, he's likely to get 10+ starts next season if he was there for the year including potentially starting their Challenge Cup games.

On the flip side though, he'd be giving up a lot by leaving Leinster. He would be taking a significant step down in terms of the coaching ticket he'd be working with. There's significant levels of uncertainty around their future in Connacht and, if defence is seen as an area he's weak in, there's not really much comparison between working under Nienaber in Leinster and Fardy in Connacht.

And whilst we talk about loans, there's a fairly solid trend of lads going on load from Leinster and signing full contracts thereafter i.e. Cooney, Patterson, Roux. I would understand Leinster not being happy to see him depart.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,284 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah surely at this stage tector makes a lot more sense, if Connacht are looking for a medi joker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I think it could be a good move for Leinster. I think it's fair to say that his biggest barrier to playing European/knockout rugby right now is physicality. If he goes on loan for a season he comes back for the 25/26 season with two more pre-seasons behind him, 1.5 years of filling out, and maybe 800-1,000 more minutes of URC experience.

I don't think there's the slightest chance that he'd want to stay in Galway beyond the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

He is, but the path to the next step (starting a series of games) isnt abundantly clear. Particularly with Ross out of favour with Ireland. Ross will be 10 for the big matches, then Harry for the lesser matches with Prendergast getting sub appearances here and there.

He either needs one of the Byrnes to get injured or leapfrog them in the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Im not sure the quality of coaching he's getting at Leinster is what it once was.

If Leinster beat Toulouse. Massive IF. Then Neinaber will be lauded to the high heavens. The missing piece in the jigsaw etc etc

No doubt in my mind that Lancaster was and is the better coach.

That's an aside because it would be brilliant for Prendergast to step out of the Leinster environment AND crucially get more minutes.

It makes sense for all parties….David Humphreys first big call!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's not going to be coached by Lancaster in Connacht though. They have a coaching team that are under huge scrutiny from their own fans including two guys who are in their first ever season as senior pro coaches in Fardy and Sexton. Wilkins is in his first season as running the show too.

Whatever way you cut it, it's a massive step down in terms of coaching from Nienaber and Bleyendaal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Yes of course. As I said it was a point made as an aside because MINUTES playing far outweigh any concern regarding coaching….for a season.

It will do him the world of good. No doubt about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There are pros and cons to Prendergast doing year at Connacht. Namely more minutes played in bigger games and more responsibility vs less good coaching.

I wouldn't object to him going for a year. But rugby is a fairly conservative sport and I would say its not the kind of thing that will realistically happen.

The one unknown variable is David Humphreys, as mentioned above. He might make a splash. But I wouldn't bet on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I think your point on Humphreys is a very good one, and it's the variable that makes it more difficult to ponder how this will be managed compared to how these have previously been managed.

Unless Humphreys has been living under a rock, he will be very well aware of how incredibly unpopular David Nucifora was despite doing a really good job, so he might see the easy win here of being seen to help one of the poor unfortunate provinces at the expense of big bad Leinster.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

he might see the easy win here of being seen to help one of the poor unfortunate provinces at the expense of big bad Leinster.

I think that's really unfair on Humphrey's, tbh. He's strikes me as nothing but professional and I don't think public opinion will sway what he thinks is the right decision.

It would only be human for him to at least have that stuff as a consideration. Nucifora always came across as a spiky character who didn't care too much about public perception (and who likely always knew the day would come where he'd return home), but Humphreys is a popular and well admired former player who was a great player for Ulster and Ireland.

It would only be natural that he'd be aware the potential is there for him to be perceived negatively by multiples of people in Irish rugby for just doing his job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd back Prendergast to get past Harry next year tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'd worry that a Sam Prendergast loan may eventually turn into a permanent deal. Connacht aren't that well served at 10 in the first place. Hanrahan and Carty are ok, but both are in their 30's and won't be around that much longer.

With that to consider and with his brother in his ear he could decide to stay.

I'm not really worried about it becoming permanent. The Leinster 10 jersey is just far too open and, unfortunately for Connacht fans, a far more appealing prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wouldn't rule it out, but it would be a big leap. I'm convinced he'll do it by the season after though. He is young and has things to work on, but he is just a cut above the rest in how he sees the game for me.

If this does happen, Leinster will suffer. He may want to stay out west. Loan deals are more than just loans. He's also due for contract renewal next year. The easy play would be to stay out in Galway, getting the starts and in the window.

This is a no win for Leinster. If Nucifora/Humphreys go ahead with this, what's the limit? Who else gets loaned to other provinces? Paddy McCarthy? Boyle? Connacht have an opportunity to offer Tector a contract. Why don't they? Or are they in Humphreys ear wanting Sam P?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd rather Sam go to Ulster if he was to go on a loaner. Better team, better coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

IIt's Not just about him going on loan, it's also about matching him with a club that needs 10s. Connacht's need for a 10 went up when JJ got a long term injury last week. They now need a 10 for a year. Its a good fit for both teams.

Nobody is seriously suggesting giving Prendergast to any old team for a year. Its a quid pro quo.

I actually don't think it's a great deal for Connacht. We're thinking of him as an excellent player when considering his potential. On a 1 year loan, Connacht can't consider his potential. They can only consider how good he is right now, which is fine, but nothing special.

The loan would mean he could go to Connacht, make his mistakes there and learn loads for the next season when he would be back at leinster.

Ulster are probably more desperate for a 10 than Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

They can borrow Prendergast in exchange for Bealham

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

did Cooney and Roux both leave on loan or am I misremembering?

Both Cooney and Roux originally went on loan, and so did Conor Gilsenan back in 2014. I'm pretty sure Tom Daly initially went on loan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,313 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah that would be my reservation on a loan move.

Lads, he's not moving permanently to a team that isn't even in the Champions Cup next year when his home province is weak at his position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

The reality is atleast one of Leinster 5 fly halves has to go on loan. It’s between HB/Prendergast/Tector/Frawley.

Advertisement