Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah but I don't think leinster was mad keen to keep them. Some of them went on to be very good but I'm not sure any of them would have been first choice at leinster.

This is a player they want back. So surely they give him a contract that runs beyond the end of next season. He goes on 1 year loan and has a 2 year contract with leinster so he has to come back for the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't see this making sense for anyone aside from the papers and those looking for clicks.

Presuming he comes back, the party least impacted would be Leinster.

Connacht - get still a very raw player, when they need someone more mature. Sam will likely be going on the EI Tour so if he is so vital they miss him for that period.

Sam - significantly lower level of coaching. His focus should be primarily on getting his body and skills right for a long career. Minutes for the sake of minutes is of little help at his age when he has the others to work on.

Leinster - could easily survive without Sam for the season but lose the ability to have a hand in his development and he takes a step back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Predergast won't go, he had a number of games this season which would have been planned by Leinster

As posted it papers/website looking for clicks.

He will be planned for more games next season and maybe a start in a European game as they build him up, sending him to a province when he would probably be the number 1 10 for the majority of the season would be some jump for him woth how competitive the URC has now become.

He also loses out of a year coming with Nienaber who we would all expect to head after his 3 year contract, the is valuable time for him and his hopefully long career in the future. Some good coachs in Connacht but not of the level of a two time winning WC one

The reports are the young NZ lad going to Ulster who has Irish connections so Ireland qualified, would be a decent move for everyone.

• Advertisement

Lancaster was 7 years with Leinster, Nienaber is 6 months

Bit early to be making a statement like that, Nienaber didn't even get a preseason with the club and has them in the HC final. Lancaster to be fair jointed after preseason but was still September I think when he joined, but he didn't get to a final till 2018.

Lancaster had time to drill the entire squad from top to bottom on his approach, Nienaber I suspect due to his limited time so far hasn't got the exposure with some of the squad which Lancaster had at the end of his tenure

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭johnh6767

…..Hello, we’re in the final of the European cup am I on the wrong feed here? Jesus this is too negative by a long mile , we’re spoilt to be Leinster fans. We have an incredibly strong squad, exceptionally devoted and talented coaching staff, and a supply of talent from schools , Leinster pre, & U20’s to die for . Let’s just enjoy the day on Saturday , 2 incredible teams with all to play for and a lot to lose .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,944 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Rugby board in general is overly negative these days.

Lot of good posters have left due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Im not afraid to make a statement!

Nienaber is a physio turned defence coach who has branched out.

Lancaster is steeped in rugby both as a player and coach.

Hopefully Nienaber can add a European cup (or two) to his glittering CV.

Nienaber is here on 'Erasmus' (funded by Leinster/IRFU) and he'll by back with Boks in 2 years.

If I'm wrong I'll hold up my hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I don't feel that Sam P going out to Connacht to prop up a poor team is bad news for Leinster. He could end up staying there. If he goes, the contract should be under the provision that he returns. If anything, Leinster should extend his contract.

• Advertisement

I am hesitant to pick a winner this week. I feel less confident than the last couple of CC'S.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Rugbyf565

Harry byrne to Connacht would make the most sense IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭conquestscarer

So because Nienaber didn't have the genetics to play pro rugby and wasn't steeped in it, he isn't as good a coach?

All I can say about Lancaster is he coached the open play elements of Leinster last year on Defence and Attack and both of them are where we failed last year in the final.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Nobody wants Tector, I don't know why he keeps coming up as some sort of a peace offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Clontarf_Jazz

You'd think reading this forum over the last week that the only flags Leinster flags should be bringing on Saturday are white ones ! Sure they are up against and are going to need JGP & McCarthy to go 80mins as the latter did against LAR, Furlong to get through 65mins minimum & Ross Byrne to get his 1/4 final mojo back. But a final can turn on a yellow card or a cock up in the back field. I'd love to see a high tempo game with Leinster taking it up their guts with lots of pick & go rather than shuffling it across the backline. They also need a sports psychologist to tell them its permissible to score in the 2nd half of a final.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,487 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I find the discourse online about Irish Rugby have gotten incredibly negative, certain fan accounts have realised the most clicks is in stirring up anger and controversy..

I think it's also an almost coping mechanism aswell. If you say we are hopeless and then we lose it doesn't feel as bad as saying we are 100% winning this game.

I can't blame it because if we win it'll probably feel better thinking we reached an impossible peak.

Maybe true to some extent. But!!!! Lowe had a shocker. He kept La Rochelle in good field position. That's not down to Stu? JGP also was poor. I won't mention Sexton's performance.

2 years ago, JOB fcuked up on a relatively easy fielding play. Sexton/Keenan fcuked up another play. It's the players fault. Stu deserves some criticism. But really, James Lowe probably bottled that final last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ok! Fine. What right to they have to cherry pick?

• Advertisement

Watching back the 2022 final I think it was Sextons worst ever match, he forced everything, didn't have the flow of the game at all. Everytime we had advantage he'd do something silly like send through a grubber or kick the ball when it's not on. Made that shocker where we got turned over on our own line aswell. Was good off the tee though.

Really interesting though at the time I didn't think it, the watchback only revealed that.

There's a lot of posters on all forums here that are glass full, happy jackalopes, we're grand fellas! Posters dumbfounded when Ireland lost to England this year, when we failed to win a qf. I remember in 19 a poster was bigging up our match v England in the 6nations. Utter amazement when Schmidt and the boys shat the bed.

I find some posters who are genuinely and rightly critical of Leinster/Ireland are treated like they're from another planet. Of course, just my perception.

Toodles

As an aside from the alleged Sam P loan, isn't it ridiculous that Connacht are desperate for a 10, even though they've got Naughton and Hawkshaw and Leinster are snubbed or are likely to be snubbed for a tight head.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Sexton didnt play v LOR last year. He was in a suit giving out to the ref.

Leisnter lost last year due to a poor second half performance. Something that has happened this year too.

Alalatoa getting sent off was the killer blow but Kelleher was already off the pitch in the last 10 mins too which didn't help.

JGP for has some excellent qualities as a scrum half but can be headless too and took the wrong option a number of times by not setting up the drop goal when it was on and Byrne was looking for it.

Also la rochelle used their bench better and got impact from theirs Leinster finished the game with 2 players they had brought on getting carded and back off the pitch and left frawley on the bench for the full 80 like the previous year and luke and healy playing seconds.

Hopefully Leinster win this weekend. I'd be worried by Toulouse's superior half back pairing. If Toulouse are still in the game in the last 5 minutes.. either of them could produce a match wining moment of magic.

While JGP could.. I don't think anyone could say the same about Ross.

Agreed, we can achieve the same level of debate and enjoy the same perspectives by focussing on positives, avoiding the slamming of participants, both players & coaches, and putting the constructive slant forward versus endless and energy whacking criticism. Everyone we speak about are im sure far more talented at rugby than we are, me certainly, and work far harder in a very competitive sport, making difficult choices & decisions which are easier for us as the armchair pundits , a luxury they can’t afford

I know Sexton was suspended. My point was to alter the blame laid at Stu's doorstep. Stu is an easy guy to single out, isn't he. When in fact a combination of Lowe, who sucked. SEXTON suspended and a subpar JGP probably dealt more to that loss than Stu did. Of course, Ryan went off early! Stu's fault! 😆

and I for one think Leinster win this , the past disappointments being the driver for success. I also forecast a massive match from Ross Byrne and a big bench input in the final 20

Yeah I hope we have learnt our mistakes about the bench. At some point fresh legs are more valuable then leaving a lad on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

What are you on about? Sexton wasn’t suspended, he was injured from the England game where we won the Grand Slam.

He was subsequently suspended for the events after the European Cup final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I know you're a genuine supporter who wants only the best for Leinster, but can you try & ratchet down the 'blame game'. As @johnh6767 pointed out whatever squad Leinster play on the day are doing their damndest to win, for themselves yes, but also for us.

They are the men in the arena & it's their sweat & blood that's spilt.

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Advertisement