Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Average speed cameras on M7

«13456

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭ Tzardine


    I welcome them.

    Wont be an issue for most people. I set the cruise control when on the motorway and I assume most do. Hopefully it slows down some of the numptys on the motorways.

    You cant miss the cameras too, so if you do like to travel a bit faster, and get caught out its your own fault.




  • And by Limerick, you of course mean Tipperary.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭ PsychoPete


    I assume they'll be plenty of warning signs when you are about to approach it so if you are over the limit you can slow down, I don't see the problem with having them on a motorway


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭ Renault 5


    Common in the UK I think and Australia.

    Surprised it took so long to introduce them here

    6034073


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭ The Continental Op


    The one place they are really common and work well in the UK is on motorway roadworks. Before no one took any notice of the speed limits for road works but the average speed cameras have changed that.

    Wake me up when it's all over.



  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    No issues with them at all. Set cc at 120 km/h and sit back and relax...

    The only time they’ll be an issue is that time your driving at 120, and a car passes you, and then slows down to 110-115, so you overtake them again, and a few minutes later they do the exact same thing, rinse & repeat......... sometimes you need a quick blast at 130-140 to lose them once and for all..... (or at least for 10-15 minutes until they catch you again and slow down again’.

    You see them on almost every long motorway drive......


  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭ eusap


    That section of motorway is well known for accidents, so no surprise they picked it


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 6,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭ liamog


    Someone needs to invent an average lane camera to teach people how to keep left :D for the other end of the M7


  • Registered Users Posts: 49,864 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I assume they'll be plenty of warning signs when you are about to approach it so if you are over the limit you can slow down, I don't see the problem with having them on a motorway

    You mean one of these?

    1602502558504.jpg--m7_cork__dublin__limerick_motorway.jpg?1602502558000

    :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭ frozenfrozen


    press release reads more like they're putting in variable speed limits than average speed cameras since they mention adverse conditions so many times and say 41% of people are speeding, must be pretty safe to speed if 41% of people are speeding and there are only accidents when it has freak hail storms? :D


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Jakey Rolling


    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I assume they'll be plenty of warning signs when you are about to approach it so if you are over the limit you can slow down, I don't see the problem with having them on a motorway

    Average speed cams - there will be another at 1km/5km/next junction. They time you over that distance to determine average speed. Obvs requires number plate recognition to work.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭ Kalyke


    No issues with them at all. Set cc at 120 km/h and sit back and relax...

    The only time they’ll be an issue is that time your driving at 120, and a car passes you, and then slows down to 110-115, so you overtake them again, and a few minutes later they do the exact same thing, rinse & repeat......... sometimes you need a quick blast at 130-140 to lose them once and for all..... (or at least for 10-15 minutes until they catch you again and slow down again’.

    You see them on almost every long motorway drive......
    My God I thought I was the only one inflicted with the CCC (Curse of Cruise Control) Why do they do it? Weird, "I wont be overtaken" attitude!


  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ Jakey Rolling


    The one place they are really common and work well in the UK is on motorway roadworks. Before no one took any notice of the speed limits for road works but the average speed cameras have changed that.

    Have had them on a lot of the UK dual-carriageways for at least 15 years. One place they made a difference is the road to Stranraer, as lots of drivers were overcooking it to make their ferry in time. Makes it a much more pleasant drive now that you don't have people up your ar*e trying to pass when you're sticking to the speed limit. And roadworks, as you say.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭ kirving


    Badly needed in some areas, particularly around busy junctions where it can be difficult to pull out from the left lane, to let people join due to people way above the limit in the right lane.

    (And yes, I know it's up to the cars joining to match speed, but it's good practice to do as much as possible to allow them to join by moving over or adjusting your own speed.)

    I'm just astounded that 10% of people are still speeding in the port tunnel.


  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ Vittu


    No issues with them at all. Set cc at 120 km/h and sit back and relax...

    The only time they’ll be an issue is that time your driving at 120, and a car passes you, and then slows down to 110-115, so you overtake them again, and a few minutes later they do the exact same thing, rinse & repeat......... sometimes you need a quick blast at 130-140 to lose them once and for all..... (or at least for 10-15 minutes until they catch you again and slow down again’.

    You see them on almost every long motorway drive......

    What is that about, it really annoys the hell out of me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭ 1percent


    liamog wrote: »
    Someone needs to invent an average lane camera to teach people how to keep left :D for the other end of the M7

    I fully support this idea!


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭ vectra


    No issues with them at all. Set cc at 120 km/h and sit back and relax...

    The only time they’ll be an issue is that time your driving at 120, and a car passes you, and then slows down to 110-115, so you overtake them again, and a few minutes later they do the exact same thing, rinse & repeat......... sometimes you need a quick blast at 130-140 to lose them once and for all..... (or at least for 10-15 minutes until they catch you again and slow down again’.

    You see them on almost every long motorway drive......

    Thanks heavens for adaptive cruise :D

    Before I had adaptive I felt the same as you, It used to annoy the living hell out of me. I eventually came to the conclusion that the only way to get the aggrevated feeling was to slow to 110 for a few kms. instead of speeding up.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭ Hogzy


    vectra wrote: »
    Thanks heavens for adaptive cruise :D

    Before I had adaptive I felt the same as you, It used to annoy the living hell out of me. I eventually came to the conclusion that the only way to get the aggrevated feeling was to slow to 110 for a few kms. instead of speeding up.

    But the adaptive cruise control would have you slow down with the car in front which keeps over taking and slowing down, which sort of defeats the purpose of cruise control in the first place.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭ Darc19


    PsychoPete wrote: »
    I assume they'll be plenty of warning signs when you are about to approach it so if you are over the limit you can slow down, I don't see the problem with having them on a motorway

    If you miss them, then not even Specsavers couldn't assist you.

    They will be mounted on bright yellow poles with advance signage


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,171 ✭✭✭✭ Atlantic Dawn


    Fit them on the M1 and the fines would clear our national debt :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭ eringobragh


    infuriating to see this wasted on a motorway..but alas

    having lived in Australia, they had speedcams eachside of every school district...seems the focus is way off dangerous roads here :confused:

    ...Leave them to it anyway the gosafe thing was a fiasco running a massive deficit...Irish drivers for the most part are some of the slowest drivers on the planet


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,410 ✭✭✭✭ vectra


    Hogzy wrote: »
    But the adaptive cruise control would have you slow down with the car in front which keeps over taking and slowing down, which sort of defeats the purpose of cruise control in the first place.

    Cruise control yes.
    But not adaptive as you don't have to do anything, unlike normal cruise you either disengage it or put the foot down to overtake.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭ Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime


    I used to drive many a bus on the motorways including the M7/8/9/1/11/50 etc and it was regular I'd get overtaken by a car, only for the c,unt to slow down in front of me leaving me to overtake it again. Rinse and repeat about 4 times until one of us exits. So that's nothing new with average speed cameras.

    I took a quick glance on the Twitter feed, and of course there's a dose of clowns saying it's just another money racket and a waste etc.
    I'm not getting into it with them but very simple if you don't speed then what's the issue ?




  • press release reads more like they're putting in variable speed limits than average speed cameras since they mention adverse conditions so many times and say 41% of people are speeding, must be pretty safe to speed if 41% of people are speeding and there are only accidents when it has freak hail storms? :D

    The accidents due to hail storms are more towards Roscrea / Borris in Ossory. I’m not aware of many accidents on this Nenagh - Birdhill stretch despite what was posted earlier by eusap.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭ salmocab


    If they put one in the M50 they would end up sending out parking fines


  • Registered Users Posts: 49,864 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    There has been a good few accidents over the years in that spot alright, there was at least one fatality and freak weather at the time was one factor. Some people I've spoken to, who use it regularly recon the design of the road and the way water drains off it may be another factor too.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    vectra wrote: »
    Cruise control yes.
    But not adaptive as you don't have to do anything, unlike normal cruise you either disengage it or put the foot down to overtake.

    yeah but you still have to overtake them to return to the speed you've set....

    If I set cruise control at 120 km/h, I don't want cars overtaking me and slowing me down to 110, I want to drive at the 120....

    if I wanted to drive behind a 'pace car', I'd do so and let adaptive cruise control keep me at a safe distance.
    I dont want to drive behind pace cars because they'll go 105 up a hill, and 120 going down the hill etc.....


    If I want to drive at 120, I want to drive at a constant 120

    Adaptive is fine when there's no opportunity to overtake, but it's irrelevant when on a dual carriageway and overtaking can be done


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭ Rodin


    Will be a great success.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭ AndyBoBandy


    My favourite is when you're driving along a relatively quiet stretch of motorway, and see a truck in the distance, and as you get closer to it, there's a lone car sitting in behind it, no more than 2 car lengths away from it, wipers on full blast (because of the wash from the truck, despite the fact it stopped raining 20 minutes ago), completely happy to sit there, and oblivious of the fact an overtake would make their life much easier. then long after you pass them, you take a look behind, and they're still tucked in behind the truck!!!

    I'd say that some of them are drafting, and doing it for fuel efficiency, but i think I'd be giving them too much credit, and the reality is they simply have no awareness of their surroundings..

    Must be a nightmare for truck drivers having someone tail you so closely for so long on a motorway!!!


Advertisement