Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Average speed cameras on M7

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

The vans here can do rear number plates also - I know because my Mum got a speeding ticket years ago and it was clearly the back of the car they photographed.

The vans can only read plates coming towards or away from the rear of the van.

If a bike is coming towards the rear of the van (camera) there's no plate to read but if the bike is going away from the rear of the van it can read it. (assuming those terrible tax discs haven't slipped again....awful design :D)

From the images I've seen of the cameras on the M7 I think bikes are safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭ratracer

The vans here can do rear number plates also - I know because my Mum got a speeding ticket years ago and it was clearly the back of the car they photographed.

Correct! They can record your reg no if you are driving away from the rear window of the van..

Time to get plates on the front of bikes then. They’re the biggest offenders on the road.

Time to get plates on the front of bikes then. They’re the biggest offenders on the road.

Haha, where would you suggest?

Maybe a plate instead of headlights..

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Stihl waters

Must be a nightmare for truck drivers having someone tail you so closely for so long on a motorway!!!

That doesn't bother me as they're behind me, it's the numptys that can't merge onto motorways at more than 90 km an hour that pull out in front of you while doing 86 causing me to break the law and move into the overtaking lane to pass them out, although if they don't make an attempt to merge I'll hold my line and make them stay in until they either speed up or slip in behind me, if you're on a motorway doing less than 90 you should probably use the old roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

pippip wrote: »
    546860.jpg

Do you mean 'run off' area through a concrete wall?
    The vans can only read plates coming towards or away from the rear of the van.

If a bike is coming towards the rear of the van (camera) there's no plate to read but if the bike is going away from the rear of the van it can read it. (assuming those terrible tax discs haven't slipped again....awful design :D)

From the images I've seen of the cameras on the M7 I think bikes are safe.

I dunno how many times I have to post this but I've been done before on a bike where I was driving away from the front of the van.

newmember? wrote: »

I dunno how many times I have to post this but I've been done before on a bike where I was driving away from the front of the van.

Yes, in 120 zone you have run off area, no concrete wall there. Concrete wall starts where 100 zone starts.

Did you get a photo? I can't see how as all the radars and camera equipment are pointing out the back. I know there's a few people on here who have good knowledge about them so may be able to correctly say what's possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭ratracer

Now, now....... don’t be jealous :)

ratracer wrote: »
    Now, now....... don’t be jealous :)

Strange breed.

Yes, in 120 zone you have run off area, no concrete wall there. Concrete wall starts where 100 zone starts.

Most motorways will have either concrete wall or narrow verge with tensioned wire fence on central median no?

Did you get a photo? I can't see how as all the radars and camera equipment are pointing out the back. I know there's a few people on here who have good knowledge about them so may be able to correctly say what's possible.

Yes, photo of reg plate on the FCPN...I couldn't believe it. It's possibly 7 or 8 years ago now.

• Advertisement

newmember? wrote: »

What's your point? That's how it works .

The camera is on the back of the van. If there is a van with its rear to you as you pass it then you will not be caught speeding on a bike.

I'f a van is on the other side of the road parked 180° the opposite way, it can catch you as you drive away on the opposite side of the road and it can see you rear plate.

I assume if there is a high volume of cars on its side of the road this would make a difference as to whether it could detect you on the opposite side.

For a speed van on a motorway to catch you on a bike and it was parked on your side of the road it would have to be parked backwards, i.e facing towards you.

However if on a bike you would want to be a clown to be caught this way as you can slow down before you ever pass the back of a van on the other side of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

546860.jpg

That's not a "motorway runoff", it's there to allow a further lane in future without having to remake the bridges.

It is always advisable to get into the left side hard shoulder is anything goes amiss

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's not a "motorway runoff", it's there to allow a further lane in future without having to remake the bridges.

It is always advisable to get into the left side hard shoulder is anything goes amiss

And if that third lane goes in then maybe the speed limit will drop.

And on point two it's also advisable to come to a slow controlled stop but sh!te happens and if it does at 120 which is safer a concrete barrier or a green run off area beside you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I'm fairly sure that before it was necessary to use up the extra land taken up by wide grass central reservations motorways with them were considered safer than without. For example a large truck can just drive straight through a lot of motorway barriers and hit oncoming traffic. The large grass areas reduce the chance of that by a big margin.

Wake me up when it's all over.

What's your point? That's how it works ..

You quoted the post...maybe read it again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

And if that third lane goes in then maybe the speed limit will drop.

And on point two it's also advisable to come to a slow controlled stop but sh!te happens and if it does at 120 which is safer a concrete barrier or a green run off area beside you.

Of course it's better to go onto a green area, but it is not a "run off" area. Suggesting such would almost encourage some fools to stop on it to change a tyre.

It's a central reservation and the primary reason is to future proof the motorway for a third lane. If it means in the meantime someone can avoid a collision, that's a bonus.

Of course it's better to go onto a green area, but it is not a "run off" area. Suggesting such would almost encourage some fools to stop on it to change a tyre.

It's a central reservation and the primary reason is to future proof the motorway for a third lane. If it means in the meantime someone can avoid a collision, that's a bonus.

My understanding is that thinking has changed over the years on that score. While I believe the original idea behind wide central reservations was safety the need for more lanes has made them a bonus for future proofing.

A run off area in motorsport is an area where if a car leaves the course it won't hit anything. Don't know where you're getting the impression it's somewhere anyone would intentionally end up.

I think you're confusing that with sitdown area, layby or hard shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Johnrazz

Seen these today for the first time. Don’t think they’re live yet are they? Wasn’t getting much people to slow down anyways

Johnrazz wrote: »
    Seen these today for the first time. Don’t think they’re live yet are they? Wasn’t getting much people to slow down anyways

I drive fairly regularly in the UK and they were a little slow to catch on over there but they certainly take them a lot more seriously now.

Went through several last week (most were for 50mph) and hardly anyone was doing over the limit. Using the speed off my satnav and sticking to the limit I was overtaking a lot of cars.

Just wait to the tickets start to drop through letter boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,594 ✭✭✭Damien360

Johnrazz wrote: »

Curious about this also. I was on that stretch a couple of weeks ago early morning and I reckon I was one of the few cars sticking to the limit. It’s quite a long stretch of road near Birdhill covered. A few faster cars exited westbound at Birdhill itself but the gantry is before the exit. Eastbound later that day was far more compliant.

V
    I drive fairly regularly in the UK and they were a little slow to catch on over there but they certainly take them a lot more seriously now.

Went through several last week (most were for 50mph) and hardly anyone was doing over the limit. Using the speed off my satnav and sticking to the limit I was overtaking a lot of cars.

Oh 100% correct yeah. Just was wondering were they live yet? Don’t remember hearing anything about it and they normally announce it don’t they. Funnily I only see one set on each side, didn’t notice the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Someone passed me today in it at easily 160+ in the rain

Another van about an inch behind a car going through it

Then the madness 10 seconds after it ends with people doing mad speed to make up the time or to overtake anyone back who overtook them inside the average zone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭zg3409

M50 is getting variable speed limit electronic signs. They were testing some last week. M50 has regular fixed vans in 100km and 120km zones, only regular in past 6 months.

I don't agree with average speed limit zones unless you are 100% warned you will be fined such as a warning letter first, then a fine, then points. Many cars don't have cruise control and many people will pass through these twice a day. They really need to be on dangerous stretches like they were on the old Dundalk Newry road which was lethal.

If they rolled them out on all motorways then at least they would be fair warning, but the odd location seems like money grabbing. Motorways are typically the safest roads.

I can only find articles saying they’re in the testing stage, presumably that means they aren’t sending out fines yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Someone passed me today in it at easily 160+ in the rain

Another van about an inch behind a car going through it

Then the madness 10 seconds after it ends with people doing mad speed to make up the time or to overtake anyone back who overtook them inside the average zone...

These are the numpties who we need to get off the roads, not the people cruising at 130 in good conditions.

Was very heavy showers at times today so slowed down to 110 at times.

The 120kph limit is a blunt instrument. Variable ones depending on the conditions makes more sense. E.g. 130 good conditions, 120 light rain, 110 heavy rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The tickets won't come.. they never did for me.. I was doing the ferry dash, and blasted thru a few 40mph specs zones, doing 70+mph

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭brucky

If they are to be welcomed by the virtue signing brigade I have one very simple question. They have been around in other countries for a while.

Can anyone provide any statically based evidence that they have saved lives or reduced accidents? Simple before and after stats would suffice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

brucky wrote: »
    If they are to be welcomed by the virtue signing brigade I have one very simple question. They have been around in other countries for a while.

Can anyone provide any statically based evidence that they have saved lives or reduced accidents? Simple before and after stats would suffice.

Have the non woke brigade lost the ability to use the internet/search engines unsupervised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭whippet

This research (behind a paywall .. but you can see some citations) indicates that there is a decent enough drop in traffic related injuries and fatalities since the introduction of the french average speed cameras

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/234088360_An_assessment_of_the_safety_effects_of_the_French_speed_camera_program

Advertisement