Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭yagan

I enjoyed Barca but noticed the pickpockets watching too, but my scrape was with a falangist skinhead trying to use me and herself as a shield in a running street battle with the riot police. I think there's some date in late November that's like a Drumcee for Spanish fascists.

I'd actually only go back to see how the Sagrada Familia is progressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Krakow would be for me. Second Edinburgh. I like London but don't think I could live there, or afford it even!
    With the winter smog covering the city for months?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've lived in Switzerland twice and also in France when I was younger. I think it is a wonderful experience for a young person and if you are thinking about doing it, just go and do it. There are so many reasons why you shouldn't do it, language barrier, living away from home, no friends, cost etc..... but if you can overcome these obstacles, it will make you stronger as a person. It will also introduce you to a new language and culture. My first year abroad was a work experience year from college in Shannon and I still believe it was the most life-changing experience of my life. One piece of advice, if you do move to a foreign country, do from day one take a language course.

I would say this 100%. If you have the opportunity, do it. And do it in your 20s.

I'm now 37 and toyed with it for years but never did it. Now I'm stuck as my parents are too old and I'm at the point of needing to start caring for them for as long as it takes. So I'm too late, and now it will probably never happen.

Take the opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I would say this 100%. If you have the opportunity, do it. And do it in your 20s.

I'm now 37 and toyed with it for years but never did it. Now I'm stuck as my parents are too old and I'm at the point of needing to start caring for them for as long as it takes. So I'm too late, and now it will probably never happen..

I get that you have caring responsibilities and that’s stopping you from moving abroad right now. I wish you well caring for your parents; it’s the right and honorable thing to do.

However, I’d challenge the narrative that you have to do it in your 20s. It’s never too late to give it a shot living and working abroad. I have a 48 year old colleague who moved to the US last year and is loving life there. If anything, you’ll get more out of it in your 30s and 40s when you’re slightly over the drinking / partying scene and more prepared to immerse yourself in the local culture and community.

On the flip side, Ireland is a good country too. For all the aspiration in this thread, this country is a solid option for building a family and career.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭jmreire

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lived in the Balkans for 18 months, really enjoyed it, travelled a lot.
    Very cheap, hot summers and cold winters.
    I would live there again.

Ex was Finnish so spent a lot of time in Finland, first visited when it wasn't quite thawed out and wasn't mad about the place, but it grew on me! Loved it, would actually really love to live there, but only for 5 months of the year, a visit during winter is enough. The weather didn't bother me it is just too dark all the time.

Think I would like to live in Slovenia for a while.
    Maybe Georgia or the Ukraine

Oh and fyi, Finland is not Scandinavian

Pristina,,,Great memories....Suncani Brieg, the Kanons of Leck, the Besas and Birre i Peya..And the other Balkan towns and cities, Banja Luka, Sarajevo , Belgrade, Podgorica , Skopje etc. Planning a return trip to Prishtina in the autumn, covid ( and everything else ) permitting :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ibiza? :D

I'll go over for a looksie once this covid nonsense dissipates

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Sullovan

Lived in Wroclaw in Poland for a year during Erasmus. What a fantastic city and so cheap. Three of us said we would pay the same amount for accommodation there as we were in college here. For the same price as 3 rooms in a house near UL we got a 4 bedroom penthouse apartment in a gated community in the city centre outrages stuff. Get a pint for around €1.25 direct daily flights from every major airport in Ireland. Could not recommend enough. Lovely city. No proper Irish bar tho despite there being quite a good Irish community over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Someone mentioned Seville earlier, I've been living here for nearly 6 years now and I'd definitely recommend it, fantastic city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Someone mentioned Seville earlier, I've been living here for nearly 6 years now and I'd definitely recommend it, fantastic city.

And the summer heat?

Rodin wrote: »
    And the summer heat?

July and August are the worst but we have air-con.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Idly Switzerland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Sullovan wrote: »
    Lived in Wroclaw in Poland for a year during Erasmus. What a fantastic city and so cheap. Three of us said we would pay the same amount for accommodation there as we were in college here. For the same price as 3 rooms in a house near UL we got a 4 bedroom penthouse apartment in a gated community in the city centre outrages stuff. Get a pint for around €1.25 direct daily flights from every major airport in Ireland. Could not recommend enough. Lovely city. No proper Irish bar tho despite there being quite a good Irish community over there.

The cost of living might be cheaper but you are also paid a hell of a lot less than you are in Ireland.

The ideal would be on Irish wages but having the ability to live in a cheaper country. Then you are sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

Which country has the most nudist beaches??

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Always loved the picturesque thing with Switzerland. Visited once and fell in love with the place. Expensive though. Oslo, Norway also is lovely. The place is thriving, you can feel it when you walk through the city.

Would be nice to live somewhere in which you’re not greeted with scumbags, scrotes and knackers every turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kia_Kaha

I am luck enough to have a 100% remote job. Pre-covid I was dividing my time between Ireland and Malaga staying in the latter from October through to April. Wonderful city, great food very friendly people and a beautiful rental apartment for €600 per month. Plus in winter it can get up to 19/20 c on a good day. You can't put a price on that lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Did you buy there?

Kia_Kaha wrote: »
    I am luck enough to have a 100% remote job. Pre-covid I was dividing my time between Ireland and Malaga staying in the latter from October through to April. Wonderful city, great food very friendly people and a beautiful rental apartment for €600 per month. Plus in winter it can get up to 19/20 c on a good day. You can't put a price on that lifestyle.

My only fear about that is being surrounded by anglo guiri, if you know what I mean. I had a good level of español from time spent in Latam so I'd rather avoid the expat ghettos.

Is Malaga a real Costa de Blackpool?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Kia_Kaha wrote: »

If I had the chance to work remote I don't think I would ever consider Malaga. Not when the World is your oyster so to speak.

South of France way more appealing if you wanted to stay within easy access to Ireland. Italy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Malaga isn't Marbella. I'm talking about the actual city itself, most people just leave and go to Nerja, Marbella and other spots along the coast.
    Malaga is beautiful.

zweton wrote: »
    Did you buy there?

In the process, about 150,000 to 170,000 to get an apartment with decent square metres and in a decent neighbourhood.

• Advertisement

Malaga isn't Marbella. I'm talking about the actual city itself, most people just leave and go to Nerja, Marbella and other spots along the coast.
    Malaga is beautiful.

Yeah Málaga is a nice city alright, no la liga football though:-p

Rodin wrote: »
    Never heard of conspiracy to commit theft?
    Don't have to profile them. Anyone can see who they are...

Is that a crime in Spain? It isn't in Ireland.

"Anyone can see who they are" is profiling and would stand up great in court. Definitely wouldn't have civil liberty groups up in arms.

But anyway, travel and living abroad. You wont be going to Barcelona and I probable won't either so there's no need for either of us to work about their crime rates.

Mind you I would fancy the caribbean and there's crime there too. Plus many animals that bite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

In the process, about 150,000 to 170,000 to get an apartment with decent square metres and in a decent neighbourhood.

sounds good, loved seville

Yeah Málaga is a nice city alright, no la liga football though:-p

Real fans follow the local team with 100 other fans on an open terrace in 40 degree sunshine.

Viva la CD Torrevieja!

yagan wrote: »
    My only fear about that is being surrounded by anglo guiri, if you know what I mean. I had a good level of español from time spent in Latam so I'd rather avoid the expat ghettos.

Is Malaga a real Costa de Blackpool?

Your still a guiri. You will always be a guiri. I'm married to a Spaniard, lived there, worked there and had some language skills. Still a fecking guiri.

Malaga city itself is actually really nice. I can't speak for peak times but when I was there it was very Spanish and not little Britain at all.

Your still a guiri. You will always be a guiri. I'm married to a Spaniard, lived there, worked there and had some language skills. Still a fecking guiri.

Malaga city itself is actually really nice. I can't speak for peak times but when I was there it was very Spanish and not little Britain at all.
    I actually have very sallow skin that goes brown very quickly, spanish great grandmother. Been mistaken for a local many a time in Latam, Spain and Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I lived there for about 18 months, and will retire there when the time comes.

Great summers, great winters, great beer, stunning women (OH is Lithuanian), and still relatively cheap compared to Ireland.

Oh and the car is insured, not the person, and it’s not a rip off.

The women, and your OH, are still relatively cheap compared to Ireland?

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Gruffalux wrote: »
    I like the vibe in eastern Europe. Earthy. Independant. Survivors. Real winters with deep snow and hot summers with endless blue sky. Hungary. Bulgaria. Croatia. Small village on the black sea for country life. Budapest, Sofia or Bucharest for city visits and museums, theatres, little Jewish cafes, old beautiful architecture. But really I want 6 months a year in an old creaky farmhouse with tiled floors, winding stairs and high wooden ceilings on Gozo with a small pool in the garden and lush plants all round it that thrive in the sun and I want to win the lotto. I would tootle around in a little car taking trips to walk regularly around the citadel or the Temple complexes and I would swim almost everyday in the sea. Wish I was rich right now.

Gozo is a god-awful place as is Malta in general. I've been there twice reluctantly. So effing boring. The food is rank. You'd think it would be all fresh tomatoes and onions and loads of seafood and olive oil but all they seem to serve in the restaurants/cafe is shit pizza and stodgy British crap like cornish pasties and pies. There doesn't seem to be sandy beaches anywhere just rocky seashore with shingle. The people are fcuking headbangers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Gozo is a god-awful place as is Malta in general. I've been there twice reluctantly. So effing boring. The food is rank. You'd think it would be all fresh tomatoes and onions and loads of seafood and olive oil but all they seem to serve in the restaurants/cafe is shit pizza and stodgy British crap like cornish pasties and pies. There doesn't seem to be sandy beaches anywhere just rocky seashore with shingle. The people are fcuking headbangers as well.

I'd a good holiday in Valetta but the vibe was a bit weird, it felt like a mix between England & Italy but not in a good way. And yeah the food was average.

I know someone who lives there and loves it so who knows.

Great climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Does anyone know are there any countries where it's easy to rent an apartment for a year/more without having a job etc. there.
    I've lived in Europe but my accommodation has always been sorted through work, if you can work remotely there without working there I wonder is this the main issue?

Advertisement