Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭McGiver

Fatnacho wrote:
    Copenhagen is a great city. Scandinavian but with some strong Germanic influences. Stylish restaurants/bars, strong infrastructure, lots of English speakers, nice historic centre and the locals love a beer. Expensive but manageable if you do a bit of research.

Been there, didn't live there though. Found the Danes a bit grumpy and arrogant. Some overlap with the Germans and even the English in some of the negative aspects, let's say.

Know and work with Swedes, all lovely polite people, especially if you talk Swedish. What I'm hearing here from people who live(d) there confirms that.

Not sure about the Norwegians. They're supposed to be more shy and more rural, there's only one city there basically, few smaller towns and the wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yurt! wrote: »
    The classic language battle. When you're an improver in the language but not quite there yet and the native speaker won't budge from speaking English.

This is a weird one and something a lot of language learners run into, particularly in certain countries.

In my experience politeness doesn't even work the only option is to double-down and get really good at your target language to stop this happening. Be it through talking to your cat in the language and particularly getting everyday patter and slang smooth. Eventually you'll hit a breakthrough where natives will stop trying to shoehorn English in there (even if they think they're being helpful or flexing on you).

The last thing anyone should attempt to learn of a foreign language is slang. A minor mistake can get you into huge trouble. Learn the basics and everything else first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Poland, in the Gdansk area, or the Costa del Sol.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As I voted If I could live anywhere outside Ireland it’d be the Czech Republic. I was there four times over two years five years ago and just fell in love with the place. Once this COVID ****e is over I hope to go back there I’ve family living there so maybe that helped but I found Prague to be a beautiful place and I also visited the Pilsen region which is definitely euro millions living territory. I know that won’t happen but I found the Czechs go be nice people.

feargale wrote: »
    Interesting city, but I hope you're a teetotaller.

Why would you have to be teetotal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭BrenMar

Interesting poll results so far, the Iberian peninsula the most popular.

No love for Switzerland though?

Too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

4Ad wrote: »
    Lisbon
    Seville
    Berlin

(not for Winters though)
    Eastern Portugal, cheap, warm and plenty of hills to run around.
    Slovenia would be nice, bit boring though...

Everybody talk about..
    Pop Music

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Jizique wrote: »
    You only need English in all of them; local helps in some places, esp out in sticks, but not necessary

Only if you’re a tourist, you’ll probably survive, but it will be very uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I could see myself relocating to the continent in a year or so when my contract here in the UK expires. Most jobs I see demand fluency in the local language so it probably won't happen. Think I'd enjoy the Netherlands, France, Germany or Sweden.

What field are you in? I live in Eindhoven and speak very little Dutch.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Fatnacho wrote: »
    Copenhagen is a great city. Scandinavian but with some strong Germanic influences. Stylish restaurants/bars, strong infrastructure, lots of English speakers, nice historic centre and the locals love a beer. Expensive but manageable if you do a bit of research.

Nice in the summer, but try it in late December, when it is still dark until 9:00 am and it starts closing in again at around 3:30pm.

Anyone who hates an Irish winter, should definitely not move further north!

• Advertisement

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
    Interesting poll results so far, the Iberian peninsula the most popular.

No love for Switzerland though?

BrenMar wrote: »
    Too expensive.

Not when you earn a Swiss salary, I’ve been here 30+ years!

The last thing anyone should attempt to learn of a foreign language is slang. A minor mistake can get you into huge trouble. Learn the basics and everything else first.

And hear I am speaking a Swiss German dialect that does not even have a written form! I was always terrible at languages at school, but it is amazing what you can do when you don’t have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I have lived in Denmark for a short while and if I had to move anywhere in mainland Europe it would be there.

As a self professed stallion it is a nation rich with cracking looking women

It's a nice country too with a very high standard of living

Chances of ever moving there instead of an English speaking country? About 2%. Perhaps less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I like the vibe in eastern Europe. Earthy. Independant. Survivors. Real winters with deep snow and hot summers with endless blue sky. Hungary. Bulgaria. Croatia. Small village on the black sea for country life. Budapest, Sofia or Bucharest for city visits and museums, theatres, little Jewish cafes, old beautiful architecture. But really I want 6 months a year in an old creaky farmhouse with tiled floors, winding stairs and high wooden ceilings on Gozo with a small pool in the garden and lush plants all round it that thrive in the sun and I want to win the lotto. I would tootle around in a little car taking trips to walk regularly around the citadel or the Temple complexes and I would swim almost everyday in the sea. Wish I was rich right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Nice in the summer, but try it in late December, when it is still dark until 9:00 am and it starts closing in again at around 3:30pm.

Only an hour or two different to ireland

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If I was single id live in Lithuania.

I lived there for about 18 months, and will retire there when the time comes.

Great summers, great winters, great beer, stunning women (OH is Lithuanian), and still relatively cheap compared to Ireland.

Oh and the car is insured, not the person, and it’s not a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'm far too lazy and procrastinary to learn a foreign, or for that matter a native, language that I'm stuck on this damp rock in the Atlantic ocean until I die. :)

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well we're definitely considering retiring to France. Either the Loire Valley, Bordeaux area or French/Spanish Basque region. That's a number of years away but the wife is french so I think it is definitely a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Theman343 wrote: »
    Hallstatt in Austria amazing place.

It's a beautiful town, but I know someone living there and it's an absolute nightmare with tourists. I couldn't be dealing with the thousands of them being bused in from Salzburg every single day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

I'd find out where Aongus von Bismarck lives and move next door

• Advertisement

Maybe Barcelona but crime is rampant there.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

I spent 2 months in Malaga back a couple of years ago. Honestly maybe I just love long roasting summer days too much but it was pretty grim. I had been there the previous summer and the vibes were amazing. When I returned everyone had returned to Madrid and it was windswept and isolated. Do miss the place though. Have a weird fondness for the drunken donuts stall near the port.

It's crazy how cold Europe gets even as far south as Bulgaria and Greece. My friend is from Sofia and the weather there fluctuates so much. Can be 17 and then - 12 a few days later.

Just curious, when you say Malaga do you mean the city or one of the various towns along the coast/inland?

Have been to Malaga often in Winter and always find it so vibrant.

P.s. as for the Poll, south of Spain all the way. Need that vitamin D!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Fatnacho

Jim2007 wrote: »

Copenhagen is pretty much the same latitude as Edinburgh but has much better summers. They also invented Hygge to combat the cold winters.
    2nd most happy/content country in the world according to the UN in 2020 so they must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,937 ✭✭✭pgj2015

This kind of thing sticks out to me. Along with stuff like learn the language or the locals wont like you. Are continentals so sensitive and uptight that they are offended by mistakes and people just not being good at learning a language?

oh don't even mention Hitler while in Germany. why? it happened. its not like I would be making jokes about what he did or anything. Jesus lighten up like.

I like visiting countries like Germany but I don't think I could live there. They are too different to our culture, I would find them annoying and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Lisbon or Madrid for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Maybe Barcelona but crime is rampant there.

Petty theft is, pickpocketing and so on. But it’s a generally safe place.

I try to visit Barcelona once a year at least and have never had any problems. My favourite city in Europe.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Petty theft is, pickpocketing and so on. But it’s a generally safe place.

I try to visit Barcelona once a year at least and have never had any problems. My favourite city in Europe.

I've witnessed it myself, two lads manhandling another man to get his watch. I wouldn't dismiss it as casually as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I've never lived abroad but after so many trips to France I could see myself settling there. Also love Germany. People have this notion of Germans as dry balls. Couldn't be further from the truth in my experience.

I've witnessed it myself, two lads manhandling another man to get his watch. I wouldn't dismiss it as casually as you do.

Did you help him?

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    I've never lived abroad but after so many trips to France I could see myself settling there. Also love Germany. People have this notion of Germans as dry balls. Couldn't be further from the truth in my experience.

They have a dry sense of humour, I find. It doesn't mean they're not funny.

Advertisement