Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options

Comments

Did you help him?

Did I put my life at risk over a watch?

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

London is my favourite city. So much to see and do there. Fantastic architecture. Friendly people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've witnessed it myself, two lads manhandling another man to get his watch. I wouldn't dismiss it as casually as you do.

I'm not casually dismissing it. I acknowledged it exists, it just wouldn't put me off living there.

I've been the Barca about 15 times and I've never seen any incidents. You saw one incident. We are both probably guilty of confirmation bias

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    London is my favourite city. So much to see and do there. Fantastic architecture. Friendly people.

Friendly people? What?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Friendly people? What?

Depends where you are in London. I find the 2nd and third generation immigrants very friendly compared to other Londoners. The cockneys aren't friendly.

A walk down through Brixton on a Saturday is brilliant. Great markets, friendly people and great places to eat. I hate around Oxford circus etc. .

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Brian? wrote: »
    Depends where you are in London. I find the 2nd and third generation immigrants very friendly compared to other Londoners. The cockneys aren't friendly.

Have you been to London lately? There are hardly any Cockneys left. They all lives in places like Romford and further out in Essex these days.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Have you been to London lately? There are hardly any Cockneys left. They all lives in places like Romford and further out in Essex these days.

I know.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know.

So why make the point then?

First time anybody has ever described Londoners as overtly friendly. You’ve clearly never lived there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd live anywhere in Tuscany. San Gimignano, Volterra are great but also Lecce down south in Puglia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

feargale wrote: »
    The last thing anyone should attempt to learn of a foreign language is slang. A minor mistake can get you into huge trouble. Learn the basics and everything else first.

Fully disagree.

You need to find your voice in a language as soon as possible. For the most part, what you get in a book, classroom setting is the framework to learn the language. You need to start filling out the cultural context yourself.

I've had the best time trying to speak local dialect of some languages. And it actually serves to make your competency in the 'standard language' stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Lived & worked in Netherlands for 12 months. Absolutely loved it. Really nice people and a beautiful country. To be honest I spent maybe 2 weekends in Amtersdam. Far better cities all around the country. Plus hop on train to Germany/France etc

Hamachi wrote: »
    So why make the point then?

First time anybody has ever described Londoners as overtly friendly. You’ve clearly never lived there.

I made the point because I was relaying my experience in London. It was hardly a complex debate.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is a really bad attitude.

If you want to have a more pleasant experience and maybe make local friends then you should try to learn the language.

It will enrich the stay, earn respect from people and if you manage it then it makes everything more enjoyable.

Lighten up FFS.

I think the poster was pointing out that you don't need to speak the local language to move to those countries. You can get settled in comfortably just speaking English and then learn the language as you go along.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I only spent a few days in Switzerland. Great scenery, posh cars and sh1t kebabs that cost 10 CHF

Wouldn't move to mainland anything. Id have to be on an island of some sort

Ibiza? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I'm not casually dismissing it. I acknowledged it exists, it just wouldn't put me off living there.

I've been the Barca about 15 times and I've never seen any incidents. You saw one incident. We are both probably guilty of confirmation bias

Watch closer next time, especially on trains, buses and at pedestrian crossings. It is very obvious, someone will stand on front of the target, others will surround them and they go for the back packs. Or in the evenings they will come up pretending to be drunk and wrap their arm around you and go for the wallet.

jester77 wrote: »
    Watch closer next time, especially on trains, buses and at pedestrian crossings. It is very obvious, someone will stand on front of the target, others will surround them and they go for the back packs. Or in the evenings they will come up pretending to be drunk and wrap their arm around you and go for the wallet.

You mean like happens daily in Dublin city centre? Or London? Or Madrid, Paris, Milan, Kiev........... I was in Kiev, stopped 2 pickpockets myself but that doesnt equate to Kiev being any worse than Dublin. I could go again and not encounter a single event.
    Did I put my life at risk over a watch?

Yes because when someone is committing theft, they murder their victims and witnesses. Just see the line of corpses on O'Connell Street between Gardai, security guards and victims :rolleyes:

jester77 wrote: »

I do watch closely because I've heard it happens. But it happens in every major city. Barcelona is not dangerous, pick pocketing isn't violent.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭yagan

Having moved for work a few times over the decades to a few of the usual old haunts like UK, Australia and the USA I definitely wouldn't mind an opportunity to try somewhere in Europe. Having lived in really hot places already I've zero in interest in the med but north Spain/Portugal has peaked my interest.

Italy is my favorite country to visit but I think I happy to leave it at visits.

Having already spent many years abroad I reckon my interest in moving again would only ever be temporary, maybe half a year, do local language classes etc. I'm just at an age now where I give zero shítes about starting a new career.

I'm actually more interested in building up banks of time so I could cycle across the EU via the eurovelo routes, maybe eurorail on the return etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Yurt! wrote: »
    Fully disagree.

You need to find your voice in a language as soon as possible. For the most part, what you get in a book, classroom setting is the framework to learn the language. You need to start filling out the cultural context yourself.

I've had the best time trying to speak local dialect of some languages. And it actually serves to make your competency in the 'standard language' stronger.

Exactly...my German colleagues think it's cool (or funny ha ha, who knows) that I still remember some Bavarian and Austrian dialect. I wouldn't know them well enough to attempt slang, but it feels like they're very invested in helping me improve my German. They really don't have to, but it is a nice thing to do.

Most of my colleagues here in Dublin don't speak German, so I'd often chit chat auf Deutsch with my German colleague(s) until everyone else joins the call. It is all fine with me - I welcome the opportunity to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Petty theft is, pickpocketing and so on. But it’s a generally safe place.

I try to visit Barcelona once a year at least and have never had any problems. My favourite city in Europe.

No excuse for it in Las Ramblas. Any body with a pair of eyes can see the thieves. Need undercover snatch squads... not a place Id hurry back to

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I've lived in Switzerland twice and also in France when I was younger. I think it is a wonderful experience for a young person and if you are thinking about doing it, just go and do it. There are so many reasons why you shouldn't do it, language barrier, living away from home, no friends, cost etc..... but if you can overcome these obstacles, it will make you stronger as a person. It will also introduce you to a new language and culture. My first year abroad was a work experience year from college in Shannon and I still believe it was the most life-changing experience of my life. One piece of advice, if you do move to a foreign country, do from day one take a language course.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

The Algarve in Portugal is where I'd go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Great thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,051 ✭✭✭Be right back

Krakow would be for me. Second Edinburgh. I like London but don't think I could live there, or afford it even!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why would you have to be teetotal?

Have you tried in recent years to buy a drink in Istanbul outside of your hotel or a few restaurants? And not all hotels have bars either.

Rodin wrote: »
    No excuse for it in Las Ramblas. Any body with a pair of eyes can see the thieves. Need undercover snatch squads... not a place Id hurry back to

They have undercover police all over Spain but you cant lock people up because they were thinking of committing theft. The police get in trouble for profiling as it is. Then consider that the Spanish legal system is often considered one of the most complex, slow and lenient in EUROPE

THeres Spanish versions of the US / UK cop shows that follow them. Cant remember the name but youtube will probable have em

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've been the victim of the same in Barca - surrounded by a jostling group who got the zips on our bags open but luckily nothing taken.

Fended off another approach on the same trip, then I began to watch - you can spot them.

Barcelona is an excellent city, but it is also the street crime capital of Europe - keep your eyes peeled and your valuables out of sight and reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

They have undercover police all over Spain but you cant lock people up because they were thinking of committing theft. The police get in trouble for profiling as it is. Then consider that the Spanish legal system is often considered one of the most complex, slow and lenient in EUROPE

THeres Spanish versions of the US / UK cop shows that follow them. Cant remember the name but youtube will probable have em

Never heard of conspiracy to commit theft?
    Don't have to profile them. Anyone can see who they are...

feargale wrote: »
    Have you tried in recent years to buy a drink in Istanbul outside of your hotel or a few restaurants? And not all hotels have bars either.

Well I've been in Istanbul plenty of times over the last few years, but other than restaurants or hotel I wouldn't be drinking anywhere else?
    Oh, apart from nightclubs, got plenty of alcohol there also......
    So, not enough 'pubs' is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Why are Italy and Greece lumped in together?

Very different places. I love them both but the Greek Islands wins for me, I've been on loads of them, they're effin great for nice food, laid back livin and seas and skies of the deepest, purest blue.

Advertisement