Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,916 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Plenty of used M3 for sale on Donedeal. Tesla inventory is full too usually.

New is better. A Tesla Model 3 seems to depreciate less in 3 years than a Leaf62 does in a day :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

unkel wrote: »
    New is better. A Tesla Model 3 seems to depreciate less in 3 years than a Leaf62 does in a day :pac:

Yeah, two years motoring with a Model 3 and lose 1/7th / 7k. Not bad. No SH L62s for sale other than demos, but L40s (SV, 2019) sell SH for 20-21k having lost 8-9k, so nearly a 1/3 of value written off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Patser

FWIW I imported my BMW i3 3 years ago this week - delivery was delayed by beast from the east. Bought it 2nd hand for €17k..... cheapest i3 now on Done Deal is €15k and not as well specced as mine, so potential 2k depreciation over 3 years

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Patser wrote: »
    FWIW I imported my BMW i3 3 years ago this week - delivery was delayed by beast from the east. Bought it 2nd hand for €17k..... cheapest i3 now on Done Deal is €15k and not as well specced as mine, so potential 2k depreciation over 3 years

I suspect if you bought a second hand EV in the last two years that thanks to Brexit, we may see either 0% or very low depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Patser

Yep, picked my time for when sterling was crashing. It's amazing to see the selection and price difference that was available from the UK, now nearly all gone (except for NI, and they know they've an open goal with pricing up there(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭gary29428

Yeah, two years motoring with a Model 3 and lose 1/7th / 7k. Not bad. No SH L62s for sale other than demos, but L40s (SV, 2019) sell SH for 20-21k having lost 8-9k, so nearly a 1/3 of value written off.

Where have you seen 2019 L40's for 20-21K....23-24k from what I can see on Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

gary29428 wrote: »
    Where have you seen 2019 L40's for 20-21K....23-24k from what I can see on Donedeal.

A brand new, 211 reg Leaf 40 is €25k from Nissan, with scrappage.

If someone pays €24k for a 2 year old one, well, they're not a very savvy shopper :D.

Was only asking as my sister is after a Leaf 2019ish....nothing out there below 23k....also not everyone has a scraper...my wife has a leaf and it's been brilliant, great car.

Kramer wrote: »

That's pretty sweet if you don't mind the drawbacks of the car like it being an old design with an inefficient drivetrain, problems with fast charging on longer journeys and an obsolete fast charging technology. Still a very capable and reliable car for most people who don't care about the above.

Where did you come across that deal?

That's pretty sweet if you don't mind the drawbacks of the car like it being an old design with an inefficient drivetrain, problems with fast charging on longer journeys and an obsolete fast charging technology. Still a very capable and reliable car for most people who don't care about the above.

I guess it's like everything else, different strokes for different folks....our 2019 Leaf is a 2nd car, does everything we ask of it and does it well...drives nice, will do 220km on a full charge and is very reliable....others like there cars to do 0-60 in 2.5secs...others want it to open and close it's doors while flashing it's lights and playing happy birthday...each to there own.

• Advertisement

That's pretty sweet......

pJ1fyfR.jpg

www.scrappageguarantee.ie/

You'd probably rangle 0% finance too, if you were of the haggling mindset ;).

It's a good deal & will hammer used values, if people actually shop around before dropping €25k on 2 year old Leafs & Ioniqs.

I'd have a Leaf 40 in the morning at that, if it suited me. It would suit many to be fair & actually suit many more, than an Ioniq 28. Conventional looks, Nissan, more urban range (less charging), roomier (slightly) etc.

I better be careful or I'll talk myself into one :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

www.scrappageguarantee.ie/

You'd probably rangle 0% finance too, if you were of the haggling mindset ;).

It's a good deal & will hammer used values, if people actually shop around before dropping €25k on 2 year old Leafs & Ioniqs.

I'd have a Leaf 40 in the morning at that, if it suited me. It would suit many to be fair & actually suit many more, than an Ioniq 28. Conventional looks, Nissan, more urban range (less charging), roomier (slightly) etc.

I better be careful or I'll talk myself into one :D.

Careful now. With only a 40kW motor that must be a new budget version of the Leaf :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yoka

Germany hit 21.7% plugin electric vehicle share in January, how are we so far behind?

yoka wrote: »
    Germany hit 21.7% plugin electric vehicle share in January, how are we so far behind?

VRT
    Cancelling the EV grant for business purchases
    Not extending the zero BIK for company cars

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

It is true that it is just the earlier 2018 L40 models that have sub22k as list price on DD and Carsireland, but I imagine at least 1k is there as haggle space.

Also, am not sure how the buyer's market is faring now. I'll probably sell a 2019 L40 next year to get another family car with bigger range (single car household). Great commuter car, but adds a bit of time for reg 200km journeys pre/post pandemic, either because of driving or stopping to charge.

Careful now. With only a 40kW motor that must be a new budget version of the Leaf :p

Unbelievably unprofessional and incompetent ad, isn't it just?

Maybe the ESB did up the ad for Nissan :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Casati wrote: »
    Presume some Leaf sales are pre reg , but who would have thought they would be back at the top of the list with all the newer cars to chose from. Have they been discounting them or offering big scrappage?
    slave1 wrote: »
    The Leaf62 is destroyed by better competitors in almost every category.
    I was very surprised to see those sales numbers

The biggest advantage to buying is a Leaf now is that 50% of the national DC charging network (lets assume ecars is the national network) is exclusively for you.......

I'd imagine the hamper(s) that arrive at ecars HQ every Christmas from Nissan Ireland are fantastically stocked with the finest wares....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You can now get a L62 for 700 p/m with no deposit, or an L40 for 550.
    https://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/offers/subscribe-and-drive.html

They are giving them away, and you've got a nationwide FCP network exclusively for leafs!

Unbelievably unprofessional and incompetent ad, isn't it just?

Maybe the ESB did up the ad for Nissan :p

Brutal. Maybe Nissan use the same web design as Audi, remember their copy and past job.

"Coming in autumn 2021 the Nissan Model YAriya 300kW" :):p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

If someone pays €24k for a 2 year old one, well, they're not a very savvy shopper :D.
    Was only asking as my sister is after a Leaf 2019ish....nothing out there below 23k....also not everyone has a scraper...my wife has a leaf and it's been brilliant, great car.

Really don't know what people have against the Leaf in this forum, and of course the usual apples and oranges comparison on pricing!

The Leaf (headline prices anyway) isn't "€25k" - that's the usual misleading advertising. Add in delivery and metallic (I've seen very few white L40s) and the cheapest model is ~€26300......and that's if you have a car to scrap (which most people don't), which then precludes you from the cheap rate finance (and the 0% isn't available on the cheapest XE model anyway). In my experience, these offers tend to have fairly strict conditions from the manufacturer - i.e. you ain't getting the scrappage if you don't have a qualifying car and if 'computer says no' for the 0%.....well, tough. Are there discounts available? More than likely, but that can be said for any model in the range for a number of years.

The earlier poster also specified the SV model which is higher spec and thus more expensive again. So it's not simply a case of "why would you buy a 2 year old at €25k when you can get a new one for the same price". I have a 182 SVE model with 50k km - PCP due up August but I'm vaguely considering an early exit to grab an ID4 1st model while still available. Having carefully looked at what's online currently over the last few days, I reckon there's every chance of getting €23k for it as a private sale (including Nissan extended warranty) and I'd be aiming for even more.

As for the usual inefficient / obsolete comments..... the Leaf seems to be in and about average on efficiency as far as I can see. Are some manufacturers better (I'm looking at you Hyundai)...well yes, but certainly not all. And fast charging? I've had mine since August 2018 and it's only ever been fast charged when in for a service or whatever - I've literally never fast charged it myself, and I'd say there's plenty like me. Do some competitors have better fast charging etc? Yes, but it's not an issue for many drivers.

I do agree that the L62 pricing ain't at the races though!

Really don't know what people have against the Leaf in this forum, and of course the usual apples and oranges comparison on pricing!

As for the usual inefficient / obsolete comments.....

This thread is 6 days old and only 4 pages of replies ,
    could you imagine if it was Tesla #1?
    There would be 20 pages of back slapping :D

The only EV in our house is a L40 and its been fast charged twice ever.
    Also the ID3 is in the 20/25 KW/100 (from the id3 thread here) and I havent seen anyone harping on about that.
    Or the Hyundi ioniq/kona recall, hardly a mention.
    If that was a leaf recall you wouldn't hear the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭innrain

VRT
    Cancelling the EV grant for business purchases
    Not extending the zero BIK for company cars
    I think it not only this. Is the whole hesitant policy making and implementation.
    If you want to look at the BIK aspect first announced in 2017 for one year then extended in 2018 for 3 years and another year in 2019. I mean come on would you make up your mind already? It is not a phone to buy it for a year. And even now is not clear if new cars in 2021 still qualify for BIK exemption.

Then the 20M investment announced in April 2019 turned out to be window dressing. More than 50 high power charging hubs are being funded on motorway and national road sites. 2 years later we have one planned and we talk about "upgrading" 22kW AC to the already dated 50kW DC.
    The 1000 On street chargers announced in August 2019 delivered ... nothing. LAs take their time in installing some sockets.

I found this website https://www.eafo.eu/ which gathers info about how others in EU are doing it.
    We can see Germany committing up to 2030 at some levels while the Will's Ferrel nemesis, Norway has written beside it: A clear, stable policy framework and political commitment has been crucial to create a long-term reliable EV market conditions. We don't need to compare to them as they've started the whole EV incentives back in 1990, but we can learn from them. Unfortunately the policy around EVs is ambiguous at best. Announcing ban of new ICE sale by 2030 with no clear path how to get there is one example. Nobody believes it.

^^ 100%. Erratic commitments create uncertainty and companies won't invest under these conditions. The twelve EVs cancelled in our place would be doing over 50,000 kms per year. Now it's all done on ice.

Government should be opening the door for company purchases of vans as they use far more fuel than a car per km and total per year. A round about way to create a second hand market too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can now get a L62 for 700 p/m with no deposit, or an L40 for 550.
    https://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/offers/subscribe-and-drive.html

They are giving them away, and you've got a nationwide FCP network exclusively for leafs!

Since Kearys closed their Nissan dealership in Carrigrohane (or the Straight Road as it's known locally :-) ) the handy FCP is now behind closed gates - real shame to see it there gathering dust.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really don't know what people have against the Leaf in this forum....

I do agree that the L62 pricing ain't at the races though!

I don't think we are against the Leaf, just the L62 for the main reason you point out. We want to share our knowledge for the benefit of others, unfortunately the way it works is usually listing the disadvantages of the car so folk know what they are letting themselves in for and can make a more informed decision
    This thread is 6 days old and only 4 pages of replies ,
    could you imagine if it was Tesla #1?
    There would be 20 pages of back slapping :D

Also the ID3 is in the 20/25 KW/100 (from the id3 thread here) and I havent seen anyone harping on about that.

A great advantage of the Leaf, it's bulletproof, well proved tech that's a decade on the road, we owe Nissan a debt of gratitude...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

As for the usual inefficient / obsolete comments..... the Leaf seems to be in and about average on efficiency as far as I can see. Are some manufacturers better (I'm looking at you Hyundai)...well yes, but certainly not all. And fast charging? I've had mine since August 2018 and it's only ever been fast charged when in for a service or whatever - I've literally never fast charged it myself, and I'd say there's plenty like me. Do some competitors have better fast charging etc? Yes, but it's not an issue for many drivers.

+1

Most of the anti-Leaf stuff on this forum is from a few vocal posters who have a specific viewpoint where the stats are all that matter... 0-100km/h, charge speed, etc. They'll talk about battery cooling, rapidgate and coldgate and any other internet buzzword but those things dont matter for the majority of people in this country.

Most people just couldnt care less about those things. They want to jump in and drive and as long as the range suits your needs then it doesnt matter. Being honest about the range is the most important thing.

I find commentary about "old tech" in the Leaf amusing too. Its got much the same tech as the competitors.... a Li-ion battery, a motor, app support, and 4 wheels that go round and round! :)

If the car suits your needs and the price is right then buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Summer8181

Any ID4's in Ireland yet? Heard they were due in this week.

Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Seen my first id3 in the flesh the other day. A grey paint job on it. Nice alloys, Pro edition on the side. Looked well spacious inside. Very nice looking tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

Summer8181 wrote: »
    Any ID4's in Ireland yet? Heard they were due in this week.

Looking forward to seeing them in the flesh.

https://twitter.com/vwvinny/status/1369239127326130182

Started being delivered to dealers today from the looks of it.

Advertisement