Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options
  • 01-03-2021 4:50pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Continuing from last years thread https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112378925

Rank|Make|Model|Jan 2021 Units
    1|NISSAN|LEAF|200
    2|VOLKSWAGEN|ID.3|125
    3|KIA|NIRO|122
    4|HYUNDAI|KONA|96
    5|RENAULT|ZOE|83
    6|PEUGEOT|2008|61
    7|HYUNDAI|IONIQ|54
    8|OPEL|CORSA|52
    9|MINI|MINI HATCH|44
    10|PEUGEOT|208|33
    11|AUDI|E-TRON|20
    12|KIA|SOUL|19
    13|MG|MG ZS|19
    14|BMW|I3|18
    15|HONDA|HONDA E|8
    16|TESLA|MODEL 3|7
    17|MERCEDES-BENZ|EQC|7
    18|JAGUAR|I-PACE|4
    19|PORSCHE|TAYCAN|3
    20|TESLA|MODEL S|2
    21|TESLA|MODEL X|1

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Feb numbers, all numbers from https://stats.beepbeep.ie/

5.88% of new cars sold in February were electric bringing us to 4.59% for the year to date.

Rank|Make|Model|Feb 2021 Units|Total
    1|VOLKSWAGEN|ID.3|193|318
    2|NISSAN|LEAF|89|289
    3|KIA|NIRO|100|222
    4|TESLA|MODEL 3|171|178
    5|HYUNDAI|KONA|26|122
    6|RENAULT|ZOE|24|107
    7|PEUGEOT|2008|24|85
    8|HYUNDAI|IONIQ|13|67
    9|OPEL|CORSA|9|61
    10|MINI|MINI HATCH|13|57
    11|PEUGEOT|208|22|55
    12|AUDI|E-TRON|30|50
    13|MG|MG ZS|18|37
    14|PORSCHE|TAYCAN|28|31
    15|MAZDA|MX|26|26
    16|KIA|SOUL|4|23
    17|BMW|I3|3|21
    18|MERCEDES-BENZ|EQC|5|12
    19|HONDA|HONDA E|2|10
    20|JAGUAR|I-PACE|5|9
    21|LEXUS|UX|6|6
    22|TESLA|MODEL S|0|2
    23|TESLA|MODEL X|0|1
    24|MG|MG5|1|1
    25|PORSCHE|OTHER PORSCHE|1|1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Patser

That's a lot of Taycans, my dreams of being able to afford one by 2040 goes up as supply does too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭innrain

Notable the year on year increase of 891 for Feb 2021 as compared to 390 in Feb 2020. Considering the imminent arrival of ID4 we're going to se interesting numbers soon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Depending on what happens with the Ioniq 5, I think the ID.4 is the only big Irish launch due this year.

Honda e is doing poorly, it is just so pricey for the size of it.

If the Fiat 500 e is available as cheap as they are suggesting (c.€20k for stripped back model) that could be a big seller.

And the Mokka

And I'd say there's a lot more Model 3s to be delivered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

innrain wrote: »
    Notable the year on year increase of 891 for Feb 2021 as compared to 390 in Feb 2020.

I'd wager much of that increase was due to the VAT reduction ending at the end of February. Dealers will have got those March/April/May sales pushed forward into February.

Still, as said, the ID.4 & Ioniq 5 hitting the market should give a good boost mid year.

Last year dealers were still open as normal, and Covid only a mention from China in February.

EV sales have doubled while dealerships are closed, and business that much harder to do

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

liamog wrote: »
    Depending on what happens with the Ioniq 5, I think the ID.4 is the only big Irish launch due this year.

Enyaq could have been, but they butchered the price and only a couple of hundred units at most coming in in 2021. Taking a leaf out of Kia's book (with the eNiro) and under supplying. Don't think it worked well for Kia

Ioniq 5 has had over 230,000 active enquiries in Europe alone since launch last week

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/236000-people-want-hyundai-ioniq-5

Hope they don't go down Kia route with supply

Patser wrote: »
    Ioniq 5 has had over 230,000 active enquiries in Europe alone since launch last week

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/236000-people-want-hyundai-ioniq-5

Hope they don't go down Kia route with supply

Or the Kona route with the Irish spec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

That's a lot of Taycans, my dreams of being able to afford one by 2040 goes up as supply does too

It's such a good time to buy super expensive evs with the grant.

Or the Kona route with the Irish spec
    Kona is the biggest looser so far. down more than 70% compared to Feb 2019%. And it is going to be worst giving the ID4 starts at a lower point and the recent battery issue for Hyundai. Two years ago there was nothing to compete in terms of range. It is radically different now, with so many options in the same segment so looks and options will be where the war will happen.

innrain wrote: »
    Kona is the biggest looser so far. down more than 70% compared to Feb 2019%. And it is going to be worst giving the ID4 starts at a lower point and the recent battery issue for Hyundai. Two years ago there was nothing to compete in terms of range. It is radically different now, with so many options in the same segment so looks and options will be where the war will happen.

If people weren't kicking themselves for buying a Kona in 2019 (bad spec, small car, big price) they should be kicking themselves in 2021 when they see what their €39k could of got them.

It'll be interesting to see the used kona prices in 2022 when PCP starts expiring. Should be quite cheap. Low 20s i'd imagine.

Well I don't because I needed a car in 2019 in fact I needed a car in 2018 but VW let me down by not delivering and after 9 months I went into a Hyundai dealership and said I want a car but want it now. Whatever the value in 2021 I used the car for 2 years and probably in 1-2 year I'll move it to be the 2nd car in the family and get something more spacious. Well at least that was the original plan. I'm with 15k km less than originally planned so it is open for debate. Whatever its minuses as a commuter car delivers what's asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lots of pre regged cars in that list too.

There's truck loads of model 3s arriving in Sandyford these days so would expect Tesla to lead the numbers for march.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

ELM327 wrote: »
    Lots of pre regged cars in that list too.

There's truck loads of model 3s arriving in Sandyford these days so would expect Tesla to lead the numbers for march.

Presume some Leaf sales are pre reg , but who would have thought they would be back at the top of the list with all the newer cars to chose from. Have they been discounting them or offering big scrappage?

Yes and Yes. There's grants and 0% finance. They know the leaf is going to bite the dust once the ariya arrives so it's get them out the door now. (obviously they are not preregging many leafs at this stage )

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Leaf62 is destroyed by better competitors in almost every category.
    I was very surprised to see those sales numbers

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

I was trying to be polite but yes you are 110% right there.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes and Yes. There's grants and 0% finance. They know the leaf is going to bite the dust once the ariya arrives so it's get them out the door now. (obviously they are not preregging many leafs at this stage )

Don't forget the Kona was touted as the "leaf killer" a few years ago.
    That pretty much went up in flames :D

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »

Probably still a good few Leaf40s in those numbers, they are still selling both. The entry price of 29.3 is pretty decent for an L40.

liamog wrote: »
    Probably still a good few Leaf40s in those numbers, they are still selling both. The entry price of 29.3 is pretty decent for an L40.

Oh for sure.
    I'd say its 98% L40s

True

What's the Other Porsche - please say it's something mental and not a mispaced PHEV

What's the Other Porsche - please say it's something mental and not a mispaced PHEV

There's a lot of that, it took until the end of last year for them to cleanse the database, it's showing all Porsche's as band A0 so could just be a mismatch in the data.
    Last year the Mini was in as about 3 different models

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

Well if it has the range you need I don't see how it's "destroyed". It's very well specced, is super reliable and very comfortable and no software issues or failures (fingers crossed!). Personally I'm very happy with the choice and obviously a lot more are too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

The Peugeot e2008 has done quite well.....haven't seen one on the road yet.

optimal wrote: »
    Well if it has the range you need I don't see how it's "destroyed". It's very well specced, is super reliable and very comfortable and no software issues or failures (fingers crossed!). Personally I'm very happy with the choice and obviously a lot more are too!!

I'm a Leaf owner myself so agree they are a great car, however with chargegate, DC charging speed, CHAdeMO and lack of active battery cooling the likes of ID3, NIRO, eCorsa even stretch to used Model 3 etc destroy the Leaf62 IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I'm a Leaf owner myself so agree they are a great car, however with chargegate, DC charging speed, CHAdeMO and lack of active battery cooling the likes of ID3, NIRO, eCorsa even stretch to used Model 3 etc destroy the Leaf62 IMHO

Hmm. There is not much scope for an upgrade to replace a family-oriented single car household L40 at the moment without going smaller or moving to SUV/crossover shape now or in the future. eCorsa/e208 are too small.

ID.3 is all there is but you lose space for luggage and a used Model 3 is bloody hard to find in Ireland. However, a sidegrade to L62 is costly for a bit of battery on an aging platform.

• Advertisement

Plenty of used M3 for sale on Donedeal. Tesla inventory is full too usually.

Advertisement