Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2021 Irish EV sales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

innrain wrote: »
    Basically 25% of all EVs sold in Ireland were delivered this year (5.6k from a total of 21.6k) with 4 months of lockdown. Over 82% from Jan 2019.
    Thats a phenomenal stat

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

sk8board wrote: »
    With a midrange ID3 for €35k, a roomier car too, suddenly the Tesla €€ premium for the dragtime party trick looks a bit silly.

And they'll take your ID3 as a trade if you want to move to ID4 ... whereas the Tesla lads have a bit of fit when you tell them you have a trade in :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We were up to 13,300 new and used imports (full EV) by the end of 2020.
    So far this year we've 3,952 new sales and 222 imports.

There are 30% more EVs on the road than there were 5 months ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

ELM327 wrote: »
    Thats a phenomenal stat
    I think I'm wrong. I will need to redo the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭cannco253

Do we know how many EVs eCars were predicting in 2021 when they started on their rollout plan, and if the current figures are in line with it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I know they claimed the network was capable of handling 20,000 cars before any of the expansion plans.

It's also good for VW when you own your own bank and can give 0% interest, a clever move which has clearly boosted sales.

Tesla are not helping themselves by not offering PCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

It's also good for VW when you own your own bank and can give 0% interest, a clever move which has clearly boosted sales.

VW need their EVs to sell. Even the ID.3 name is ambitious but it looks like the ID.4 is the real breakthrough car. Well both combined really but they aren’t incentivising the id4 with 0% pcp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The ID.3 was 1.9% as far as I know, VW only offering 0% on it this month. The Golf eHybrid, GTE etc were 4.9% so not as good of a deal as petrol variants. 0% would have taken the sting out of the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

fits wrote: »
    VW need their EVs to sell. Even the ID.3 name is ambitious but it looks like the ID.4 is the real breakthrough car. Well both combined really but they aren’t incentivising the id4 with 0% pcp.

They certainly aren't, I think you're right the ID.4 is going to sell more in the long run

ID.3 won't be any slouch from the looks of it either

They're obviously very confident on resale if they're willing to give 0% PCP on the cars

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    I know they claimed the network was capable of handling 20,000 cars before any of the expansion plans.

They don't lack optimism, I'll give them that

Maybe the definition of "handling" is based on the fact that a lot of EVs didn't have any choice of where to charge

Different experience now with longer range BEVs, you can pop into a charger with around 25% left anf if the queue is massive you should have enough to make the next one

That's if you even have to charge :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Just a reminder that Tesla do not yet have the production capacity to sell all the cars they could. There's no point in advertising, discounting, offering PCP, or any of the other sales techniques right now, because their production is sold out months in advance.

What they do need to do (and what they are doing) is to get their new factories up and running as quickly as possible. At that point, they may find that supply matches or exceeds demand, and I'd imagine that they'll improve their marketing then.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They don't lack optimism, I'll give them that

Maybe the definition of "handling" is based on the fact that a lot of EVs didn't have any choice of where to charge

Different experience now with longer range BEVs, you can pop into a charger with around 25% left anf if the queue is massive you should have enough to make the next one

That's if you even have to charge :cool:

Yeah my old ioniq made us charge on trips back home or down to Kerry, but the id4 will greatly reduce our public charging. Only for the guilt of having to plug in for basically 24 hours at my parents place I'd never really need to public charge. I'm sure I will at some point, but it's far less of a concern when I get in the car vs being in the ioniq and going any 100km+ distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

fits wrote: »

They really need them to sell; they missed the carbon targets for Europe last year and had to pay a fine plus suffer some negative publicity. They will give enough away for free to ensure they can sell their Tiguan, Porsche, Audi and Lambo models.
    They are going to have to buy credits for China in 21 and 22, a black mark for the self-titled “Europe’s EV champion”.
    PSA don’t need to sell many EVs so are not pushing as hard on it.

Yeah my old ioniq made us charge on trips back home or down to Kerry, but the id4 will greatly reduce our public charging. Only for the guilt of having to plug in for basically 24 hours at my parents place I'd never really need to public charge. I'm sure I will at some point, but it's far less of a concern when I get in the car vs being in the ioniq and going any 100km+ distance.

No doubt you'd get the "still mooching off us" complaint from the parents :D

fricatus wrote: »
    Just a reminder that Tesla do not yet have the production capacity to sell all the cars they could. There's no point in advertising, discounting, offering PCP, or any of the other sales techniques right now, because their production is sold out months in advance.

What they do need to do (and what they are doing) is to get their new factories up and running as quickly as possible. At that point, they may find that supply matches or exceeds demand, and I'd imagine that they'll improve their marketing then.

That is untrue, you can pick up a Tesla faster than a Golf.

Jizique wrote: »
    They really need them to sell; they missed the carbon targets for Europe last year and had to pay a fine plus suffer some negative publicity. They will give enough away for free to ensure they can sell their Tiguan, Porsche, Audi and Lambo models.
    They are going to have to buy credits for China in 21 and 22, a black mark for the self-titled “Europe’s EV champion”.
    PSA don’t need to sell many EVs so are not pushing as hard on it.

PSA have been buying carbon credits from Tesla for years. They only stopped this year

https://insideevs.com/news/505456/stellantis-discard-tesla-co2-credits/

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

No doubt you'd get the "still mooching off us" complaint from the parents :D

Ha. Unlikely, but it's a decent draw on a 3 pin socket for 24 hours. I'm more worried about heat than they are about the €7-8 it'd cost to charge. Must bring a few nice bottles of wine next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭sk8board

Jizique wrote: »
    That is untrue, you can pick up a Tesla faster than a Golf.

Yep. I was in a model 3 on Saturday (delivered mid last week of May) that was ordered online in early April.
    The owner said they are pushing for June orders too, presumably because in July the price of their sole product in Ireland goes well into Fanboy-only territory, or maybe folks looking at a drag time car like the new Golf R.
    I don’t think there’s enough fanboys without their cars already who can keep the current Tesla volume, let alone increase it.

PSA have been buying carbon credits from Tesla for years. They only stopped this year

https://insideevs.com/news/505456/stellantis-discard-tesla-co2-credits/

FiatChryer has - not PSA, another lie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

Yep. I was in a model 3 on Saturday (delivered mid last week of May) that was ordered online in early April.
    The owner said they are pushing for June orders too, presumably because in July the price of their sole product in Ireland goes well into Fanboy-only territory, or maybe folks looking at a drag time car like the new Golf R.
    I don’t think there’s enough fanboys without their cars already who can keep the current Tesla volume, let alone increase it.
    Lets not extrapolate the Irish sales figures to the world. It seems that globally Model Y is the best sold car from Tesla albeit being available only on few countries. The YTD figures for first 4 months puts Tesla ahead of VW at considerable distance. And not all Tesla owners are fanboys. I'd love an electric Arteon but it does not exist yet. In fact I don't know a car competing with Model3 segment on the Irish market. So if you don't want a crossover/SUV there is no much option. Is there?

DaveyDave wrote: »
    The ID.3 was 1.9% as far as I know,

True, wasn't 0% until recently, still no doubt will greatly boost sales.

fricatus wrote: »

It would be good when they can ramp up production if they could release a cheaper EV for Europe around the same size as the id.4 or id.3. A model 3 SR+ in the USA costs around 28,000 Euro's before incentives, it's almost 50 K here after incentives. If they could make a 28K car then it would cost around 23K here which would sell extremely well, just goes to show how much the Irish Government screw it's own citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree, but when they are capacity limited as other posters have mentioned, they don't need to on their end.

They used to offer PCP on S/X here but dropped it.
    I want them to bring it back for selfish reasons as it makes a plaid X more reasonable monthly!

Tesla has a few quid in the bank, could do it if they wanted to

https://stockdividendscreener.com/auto-manufacturers/tesla-cash-position/

"As of 2021 1Q, Tesla’s total cash position, including cash and restricted cash, stood at $17 billion.
    In the same quarter, Tesla’s bitcoin valuation carried a fair market value of nearly $2.5 billion.
    With Tesla’s bitcoin investment included, Tesla has a total cash position of $19.5 billion.
    Tesla has been having positive free cash flow, driven primarily by record Model 3 and Y deliveries in recent fiscal quarters."

cannco253 wrote: »
    Tesla has a few quid in the bank, could do it if they wanted to

https://stockdividendscreener.com/auto-manufacturers/tesla-cash-position/

"As of 2021 1Q, Tesla’s total cash position, including cash and restricted cash, stood at $17 billion.
    In the same quarter, Tesla’s bitcoin valuation carried a fair market value of nearly $2.5 billion.
    With Tesla’s bitcoin investment included, Tesla has a total cash position of $19.5 billion.
    Tesla has been having positive free cash flow, driven primarily by record Model 3 and Y deliveries in recent fiscal quarters."

That’s gross cash - they have some debt as well, not a lot but definitely some.
    BMW has €20bn net cash, as has Daimler, VW even higher; Tesla cash pile not unique in the industry

No it's not unique to have cash, but they are unique in the way they can and do use it, bitcoin being an example. I don't think you'll ever see any of the German manufacturers being so bold with cash, they are heavily regulated in what they can and can't do.

The technoking has disrupted financial markets before, nothing to stop him doing it again.

innrain wrote: »
    Lets not extrapolate the Irish sales figures to the world. It seems that globally Model Y is the best sold car from Tesla albeit being available only on few countries. The YTD figures for first 4 months puts Tesla ahead of VW at considerable distance. And not all Tesla owners are fanboys. I'd love an electric Arteon but it does not exist yet. In fact I don't know a car competing with Model3 segment on the Irish market. So if you don't want a crossover/SUV there is no much option. Is there?

Well the model 3 and the ID3 are both 5-door hatchbacks/saloon, whatever way you cut it.

We can only buy the cars sold in Ireland, therefore the worldwide market is absolutely unimportant.

Apr-June 2021 is critical for Tesla in Ireland, but VW have delivered 550 EVs so far in Apr and May, to Tesla’s 63.
    You can’t honestly believe that most of those VW buyers didn’t at least have a cursory look at the Tesla at some point, but decided to choose something else.

As we said above, if you wanted a M3, you can have it quicker than the VW at the moment.

We’ve talked about it here for the past few years - what will happen to Tesla volumes in Ireland once the fans have their cars delivered. June and July deliveries will answer that question quite conclusively

Apr-June 2021 is critical for Tesla in Ireland, but VW have delivered 550 EVs so far in Apr and May, to Tesla’s 63.
    You can’t honestly believe that most of those VW buyers didn’t at least have a cursory look at the Tesla at some point, but decided to choose something else.

At least in Europe, VW and Tesla compete in different markets, Tesla's target market is BMW and Audi drivers, not VW and Nissan's.
    Tesla need to drop around €15k off the entry purchase price to compete in the mass market game.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    At least in Europe, VW and Tesla compete in different markets, Tesla's target market is BMW and Audi drivers, not VW and Nissan's.
    Tesla need to drop around €15k off the entry purchase price to compete in the mass market game.

True. you’d have to think teslas market will be further squeezed once bmw, Audi and JLR etc expand their product offerings across the range.
    Bmw announced the pricing today on the i4, and by all accounts it’s far cheaper than the motoring journo’s expected, meaning Tesla will struggle to build on the low sales numbers of the 3, and the Y will have its sales cannibalised before it even arrives.

Advertisement