Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gordon Elliott

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Coneygree wrote: »
    Not at all, he lives on the yard for God's sake, he'll be there every day.

And are all the horses that were with him still going to be there or are they going to be pulled by owners wanting their horses running?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭celt262

Good statement from Gordon

The only drawback is he doesn’t address the other rumoured awful photos/videos

That could come back hard on him :/

Do they exist or is it just rumour?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Coneygree

And are all the horses that were with him still going to be there or are they going to be pulled by owners wanting their horses running?

Horses will run under a different trainers name. Owners might still want to pull their horses from the yard but that's their own independent decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

Well done IHRB. No surprises.

Thank phuck that is over. Roll on Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

celt262 wrote: »
    Do they exist or is it just rumour?

From talking to someone close to his yard the bar photos/videos are definitely out there. Numerous photos numerous ppl received them.

The cattle prod one I don’t know either way.

There’s others rumoured as well but won’t be spreading them until we know more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

From talking to someone close to his yard the bar photos/videos are definitely out there. Numerous photos numerous ppl received them.

I've seen a video of the bar. But in fairness how do we know when it was? There is no way to date what I seen at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭celt262

I have seen the drinking in the bar one. If there are worse about i think they would have made there way around by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Hopefully Gordon comes back better than ever after this debacle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Augme

Labaik wrote: »
    Hopefully Gordon comes back better than ever after this debacle.

By standing on a dead horse instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Kate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

As I suggested in post 532, the IHRB would use Rule 272.
    I expect a thank you from them for helping them out. :)

Dick move :D

Dav010 wrote: »
    I’m not into horses nor horse racing, but I’m bemused by this whole event.

It is my understanding that the horse died of natural causes, and that there is no suggestion of ill treatment whilst alive. In fact, I read that GE’s facility is excellent and the animals well cared for, So this guy is being publicly flogged, punished, his reputation irrevocably tarnished, his staff’s livelihood put in jeopardy, because of a picture of him sitting on a dead horse? How can that be?

What about the pictures on the panorama special on that Dubai guy’s daughter, or the Saudi Arabian Prince who the CIA said ordered the butchering of an innocent journalist? I see he recently sponsored the richest horse race on the planet, it’s not ok to sit on a dead horse, but the raving authorities have to problem with crimes against humans?

Sure you aren't ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Why no artificial insemination?
    There are advocates of it: mares does not have to travel; less risk of infection; and probably loads of other reasons.
    I am against it, not because I want to be standing around gawking at a stallion and mare mating as another poster fantasised, but because it would allow unlimited covering by a stallion.
    The advocates say you can put limits in place to stop that.
    For a long time the limit was 40 mares a year for a stallion. Now some cover 250+ mares.
    Many stallions "shuttle" to Australia, New Zealand, South America to continue the good work in the southern hemisphere breeding season. This started in the 1970/80s and is now standard.

The stallion farms compete against each other for business.
    They will push to increase the business for their stallion, and in time break the limits, and reduce the variety in the breed.
    Believe me, we do not need less variety in the breed.
    In my data Northern Dancer (1961) produced 519 offspring ("children"); 19,159 grand-children; 95,190 great-grandchildren.
    How can Northern Dancer have so many descendants? 198 of his sons went to stud as sires (in my data).

In 2021 the Jockey Club in the USA limited stallions to 140 mares a season.
    Now a group of USA stallion farms have banded together to try to have that overturned in court.

Wow that is something else and even the idea of a stallion covering 250+ mares a year is huge numbers. I wonder though the more they cover do the stud fees achievable go down? Like if a stallion like Gaileo covered 1,000 mares over a 4 or 5 year period would his stud price go down? Kind of like a successful living artist, if they keep making more paintings they can end up devaluing the prices for previous ones sold.
    The Mig wrote: »
    Think it’s fair myself

Think it is fair too. 3 months would have been criticised as too short, 12 months as too long so 6 months is the proverbial Goldilocks 'just right'

Good statement from Gordon

The only drawback is he doesn’t address the other rumoured awful photos/videos

That could come back hard on him :/

Its from a PR company and you can't reply on twitter either.

Why address a rumour? "And I also deny I have four legs and am in a relationship with Angelina Jolie"

I’m not into horses nor horse racing, but I’m bemused by this whole event.

It is my understanding that the horse died of natural causes, and that there is no suggestion of ill treatment whilst alive. In fact, I read that GE’s facility is excellent and the animals well cared for, So this guy is being publicly flogged, punished, his reputation irrevocably tarnished, his staff’s livelihood put in jeopardy, because of a picture of him sitting on a dead horse? How can that be?

What if, a member of the Garda Mounted Unit had the same photo taken on one of their dead horses?

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Wow that is something else and even the idea of a stallion covering 250+ mares a year is huge numbers. I wonder though the more they cover do the stud fees achievable go down? '

Northern Dancers fee in 1982 was over $1M (IIRC) without guarantee of a live foal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,225 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

bubblypop wrote: »
    What if, a member of the Garda Mounted Unit had the same photo taken on one of their dead horses?

Should I be outraged? Was the horse mistreated in someway by the photo being taken?

Should I be outraged? Was the horse mistreated in someway by the photo being taken?

You don't think there would be outrage?

You don't think there would be outrage?

Should the Garda be suspended for 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

So barred from racing for 6 months and 15k costs fine.

They say the photo is 2 yrs old or more, so I take from this that someone kept the photo and just release it to media for all and sundry to see.

Sounds like a disgruntled employee who had it in for Elliot.

Wanted to bury him, the person that took the photo may have shared it with someone else in the stables.

I am still shocked that Elliot would be so naive to think that the photo would never be made public at some stage in the future, not the sharpest tool in the box imo.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/racing/2021/0305/1201173-elliott-barred-from-racing-for-six-months-and-fined/

• Advertisement

Should the Garda be suspended for 6 months?

I'm pretty sure he would be, and that would be while the investigation was taking place.

I'm pretty sure he would be, and that would be while the investigation was taking place.

It’s a crazy world. I could understand the outrage if the person was mistreating an animal while alive, but dead? Gimme a break. That horse probably had a saddle on it a few minutes earlier, presumably someone was sitting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Kate

Subtle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,477 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It’s a crazy world. I could understand the outrage if the person was mistreating an animal while alive, but dead? Gimme a break.

Can you mis-treat anything that's dead?

You're in a role that relies on sponsorship and patronage.
    Don't make yourself toxic.

GE made himself toxic by his actions.
    Horse racing had to sanction him to contain to toxicity.
    Zero sympathy here.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Well I presume a complaint would be made to GSOC, or Garda senior Management in the Depot.

Member suspended , pending results of investigation, member terminated from force, gross misconduct or other breach's of AGS internal regulations/procedures.

Regulation 39 of the Garda Síochána (Discipline) Regulations, 2007.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭crossman47

kravmaga wrote: »
    Well I presume a complaint would be made to GSOC, or Garda senior Management in the Depot.

Member suspended , pending results of investigation, member terminated from force, gross misconduct or other breach's of AGS internal regulations/procedures.

Regulation 39 of the Garda Síochána (Discipline) Regulations, 2007.

That would be equally disproportionate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

fryup wrote: »
    well that's up to a certain scorned lady

His ex?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

PCeeeee wrote: »
    I've seen a video of the bar. But in fairness how do we know when it was? There is no way to date what I seen at least.

The bar video is over a year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭zimmermania

6 months is long enough to leave his Stable in dire straits so the punishment is enough.

The stable will be run in the same manner as before,i think the punishment was too severe,the horse was dead,the clowning around was in bad taste but no more than that.

Those involved in doping sometimes get treated very leniently and those stopping horses are not dealt with at all.

An army of handicappers from ireland will reappear at Cheltenham having been beaten out of sight in their last couple of runs and run stones above their recent form as they usually do.

Elliot was contrite because he was in danger of losing more owners and if this little country was not so small perhaps he would have went in with a sharp senior council to argue his case and threaten that he would be seeking a high court injunction to prevent the taking away of his licence on the grounds that the punishment was too severe and nothin illegal happened.

But of course he then would be a marked man so on balance he decided to plea bargain and accept the ban and let things die down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I hope he bounces back bigger and better than before.

Advertisement