Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Racing is on in Belgium!!!!

Looks like Remco is time trialing....everyone off his wheel.

Victor's face behind him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Matt Stephens is talking some bull in regard to Campanaerts.

Why should he work? Let Remco take him as far as possible I’d say and take his chances then.

Edit: he blew up just now

In fairness the faces he was pulling trying to stay in the wheel earlier I don't think he could have worked and pop he goes as I type that :pac:

Oh he actually got off the bike there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Big crash for Rory Townsend in Slovenia. Doubt he’ll continue

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Big crash for Rory Townsend in Slovenia. Doubt he’ll continue

Just watching the end now, crash happens with about 3 or 4km to go , he ended up in a field and I thought oh could have been worse, but when the camera comes back he's staggering while being spoken to by a DS who had to steady him. Hit his head when he went over the bars maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Dunbar now up to 7th overall in the Tour De Suisse and the only Ineos rider in the top 10

Dunbar now up to 7th overall in the Tour De Suisse and the only Ineos rider in the top 10

Has to be a mistake , the bunch finished together all on the same time more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Has to be a mistake , the bunch finished together all on the same time more or less.

Going by this report he's 9th in young riders and 16th overall.

Cyclingnews have corrected the earlier results page

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I see Stephen Clancy is racing in Belgium today. He's kind of the forgotten man in Irish cycling. His racing seems to take him to Asia and others more than Europe.
    Huge fan of Stephens, but you are right, rarely mentioned anywhere in Irish Cycling despite being one of our best in recent years. I think he is a great rider and I blame myself as much as anyone for not mentioning him more, always a solid performer with TNN.

No live coverage of Route d'Occitanie (formerly Route du Sud) on ES or GCN which is a bit of a blessing to be honest. 4 stage races running concurrently is a bit much for me but this race usually has some good climbing days at the weekend.

Not the most stacked of lineups this year, Ineos only have 5 riders down to start.

Coverage of the last 50km will be shown on their facebook and official website and GCN have highlights later in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,107 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Race leader MVDP in a break of 4 at switzerland, 140km out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Who are in the Irish team for the Olympics ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Who are in the Irish team for the Olympics ???

I dont think Cycling Ireland ever announced the original 2020 team and no announcement was made so far this year.

I think qualification remains the same so the full cycling team will selected for the following events
    1 x Men’s Madison (2 athletes)
    1 x Men’s Omnium (athlete will also compete in the Madison)
    1 x Women’s Madison (2 athletes)
    1 x Women’s Omnium (athlete will also compete in the Madison)
    3 x Men’s Road Race (3 athletes)
    1 x Men’s Road Time Trial (athlete will also compete in the Men's Road Race)

Source: https://www.cyclingireland.ie/news-item/team-ireland-qualifies-largest-ever-cycling-squad-for-olympics/27479/

Are the nationals taking place this year? Don't see anything on the CI site and it's getting to that time of year now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Are the nationals taking place this year? Don't see anything on the CI site and it's getting to that time of year now

Delayed with no new date set but they are still due to his ahead at some stage

Getting tasty here in TDS, just Dunbar left for Carapaz with a bit of a climb left to go and Chavez on the attack.

Dunbar playing a blinder there

• Registered Users Posts: 16,681 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Some effort there from Carapaz, really impressive.

• Advertisement

He looked super impressive there. Eddie only 3 and half minutes behind him after all that work.

EDIT: Where was Marc Soler? He'd a team mate cross the line 4 something down as the first man home for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Decent ITT from Ryan Mullen in Belgium too. Finished 10th

Dunbar is 11th on GC in Tour de Suisse. Would be higher if not riding for Carapaz too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Good ride from the Irish lads today. How long is Dunbar contracted to Ineos for? I'm sure he's had a good apprenticeship there, but would love to see him move to a team where he'll be given more of a role in the big races. He'd fit in great at Movistar... would make for a super Season 3 (or 4) documentary!

Paddigol wrote: »
    Good ride from the Irish lads today. How long is Dunbar contracted to Ineos for? I'm sure he's had a good apprenticeship there, but would love to see him move to a team where he'll be given more of a role in the big races. He'd fit in great at Movistar... would make for a super Season 3 (or 4) documentary!

Ide love to see him at a team like Trek or DSM who often go to GTs with open tactics and let riders go for breaks. Maybe EF too as they seem to be pretty open tactically and I think just being allowed to go for it would really suit him. That is if he hasn't been changed too much by the hive mind

Paddigol wrote: »

He'd be better off burning his bike and retiring rather than joining that clownshow in it's current state.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Prettyy hard words there against Movisstar ..ha ha

Dunbar can climb but is not a pure climber nor given the current crop a GT winner ...I'd love to see him at Quickstep ..Target LBL or Lombardy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Sure if he stays at Ineos he will be a tour winner in at least 2 years . Madness to leave

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Sure if he stays at Ineos he will be a tour winner in at least 2 years . Madness to leave

Too many ahead of him and God knows what other guys they sign in that time. Pog or Rog maybe

With all due respect to the man, I don't think he TTs anywhere near well enough to be a GT winner. I'm not sure he's up with the Pogacar/ Carapaz/ Bernal/ Yates level of climbing either .

He also has the misfortune to be riding at a time when there is a glut of young, top level GT contenders

• Advertisement

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Too many ahead of him and God knows what other guys they sign in that time. Pog or Rog maybe

You look at the guys getting signed these days, current leader of the baby Giro 18 year old and going to UAE on a 5 year deal.

Advertisement