Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

• 25-02-2021 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭

Race thread for any races that don't have race or stage specific threads.

Anything from World Tour down to amateur welcome. No 24hr spoiler needed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Excellent. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Pog extended his lead with a few bonus points today after coming second to Vingegaard it LJV on the stage.

I'm sure we will hear all about what a disappointing day it was for Bennett in the Irish papers later

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Another monster performance from Morkov and Bennett. Easily done in the end. Dekker, Ewan and Viviani depserately fighting for Sam's wheel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dekker is fairly confident coming up with Caleb Ewan but an epic result again for our man Sam, a full bike length again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Good stuff from Sam. Morkov is some leadout man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭cunavalos

And the win has helped Sam move up to 103rd on GC

cunavalos wrote: »
    And the win has helped Sam move up to 103rd on GC

RTE headline: Bennett loses out on top 100 place in tour despite crossing the line first :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bit late to the party and ive criticised the middle eastern racing before, but there is something beautiful about the long stretches of straight pristine road in the middle of the desert.
    And that climb to Jebel Jais or whatever it was called the last day looks savage, didnt think there was any climbs of that size near Dubai

• Registered Users Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭griffin100

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Another monster performance from Morkov and Bennett. Easily done in the end. Dekker, Ewan and Viviani depserately fighting for Sam's wheel.

The two wins this week, and especially the one today, show a real maturity in Sam's racing. He didn't even try and hit the front today until the very last second. Even two years ago he would probably not have had the patience or confidence to do that and would have gone earlier. Should be a good GT year for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Bambaata

mewso wrote: »
    Good stuff from Sam. Morkov is some leadout man.

I love watching back in slow motion seeing how it unfolds. Morkov has such a calm and confident demeanour. He is the best leadout rider for years by a country mile. Whats even better is, as Sam eluded to, they are really gelling now. The tension in those finales must be crazy yet you often see Morkov look back, ease a fraction and move slightly to ensure Sam is in the perfect potion, even with everything going on to still know to let Sam go the sheltered side and do a little blocking to the other sprinters is a thing of beauty!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Class finish, bet Bora are a little sick after these two wins. As pointed out by Bambaata, it was a real lesson in how to sprint. Positioning was perfect, Sam going on the sheltered inside, Morkov easing up making the others come around him on the windy side. His cool glance back near the finish to check if Sam had his wheel was so cool and calculating. Great to see Viviani coming back after his recent heart surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Awful finish surface though, hate cycling on those "cobbles"

Look at the gap he managed in those two wins as well, coming out of the group and making over a bike length over such a short distance with enough comfort to raise your hand before the line. It is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭happytramp

Just watched that... A real throwback to the way kittel used to win... Just opened up with such power that nobody even came close.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

Really nice, he's on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭MangleBadger

Bambaata wrote: »
    I love watching back in slow motion seeing how it unfolds. Morkov has such a calm and confident demeanour. He is the best leadout rider for years by a country mile. Whats even better is, as Sam eluded to, they are really gelling now. The tension in those finales must be crazy yet you often see Morkov look back, ease a fraction and move slightly to ensure Sam is in the perfect potion, even with everything going on to still know to let Sam go the sheltered side and do a little blocking to the other sprinters is a thing of beauty!

MY heart was going just watching it on my laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

It looked to me me as if Viviani was going for 2nd place from the start of the sprint.

I know its been a good few months now but I still get confused watching sprints because I keep expecting Sam and Mick to not be in team kits

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Raymzor

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I know its been a good few months now but I still get confused watching sprints because I keep expecting Sam and Mick to not be in team kits

Good thread. At least Sam is less obvious to the others in the bunch. I miss seeing the a national jersey.

Even when Sam doesn't win DQS can't stop winning. Ballerini took Omloop.

In the women's race Anna VDB was again brilliant

• Advertisement

She's something else to watch when she's away like that, like it's absolutely nothing in terms of effort for her and perfectly still on the bike.

Enfilade wrote: »
    She's something else to watch when she's away like that, like it's absolutely nothing in terms of effort for her and perfectly still on the bike.

That clip from the worlds is one of the greatest ever shots of a cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

KBK on now. Van der Poel only attacked 85km from the finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

velo.2010 wrote: »
    KBK on now. Van der Poel only attacked 85km from the finish!

I just turned it on here. He is one of the best but no way he can pull this off...is there

De Bhál wrote: »
    I just turned it on here. He is one of the best but no way he can pull this off...is there
    I think he said he was doing a job for his sprinter teamamate today... softening up the opposition?

Victor Campenaerts has his bars and shifter hoods turned in so much that they're almost acting like TT bar extensions. I can foresee the UCI having a look at any attempt to undermine their new rules on forearms on the bars/grabbing the computer etc.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I think he said he was doing a job for his sprinter teamamate today... softening up the opposition?

I think so, and using it as a training. He's missed 6 days racing this week in the Emirates. If he doesn't pull it off they've still got Merlier. Losing KBK won't keep him awake at night.

Lucky escape with the dog there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I'm watching this on eurosport as my GCN racepass app doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone else's working?

I assume I'm doing something wrong but I find it not the best user experience moving around in app.

Edit. App has a message now from GCN saying there's issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

As an aside, the GCN 19.99 offer for the year that ends today, is that UK only?

Advertisement