Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

dewindygap wrote: »
    Dunbar was a legend today...as he has been all week but especially today. Bound for greater things. Also agree re the spectacular views.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/tour-de-suisse-2021/stage-8/results/

This report from Cycling News.
    It doesn't mention Dunbar, not even once.
    Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

How were you watching the Tour of Switzerland guys ? On the Eurosport player first mention I see anywhere of todays stage is at 11 this evening. Went into cycling section, on demand section etc...

They didn't have the rights to show it live in Ireland, so VPN or dodgy streaming site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Ineos have now won the Giro, the Dauphine & Swiss tour. Hopefully there is some level of competition at the Tour this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,905 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ineos have now won the Giro, the Dauphine & Swiss tour. Hopefully there is some level of competition at the Tour this year!

They always remind me of that scene from Michael Collins "I hate them for making hate necessary"

I hate myself for how happy I was to see Bernal crack last year. He seems like a nice guy and I like Colombian cycling but I just can't stand that team. They are even sucking the fun out of Eddie Dunbot for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

There budget is crazy, it wasn't too bad when it was all about the tour but now they have the roster to take all the big GT's.

I wonder could Jumbo, UAE & Bahrain take them on this year. Is there any other team that could challenge them at the Tour?
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    They always remind me of that scene from Michael Collins "I hate them for making hate necessary"

I hate myself for how happy I was to see Bernal crack last year. He seems like a nice guy and I like Colombian cycling but I just can't stand that team. They are even sucking the fun out of Eddie Dunbot for me

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

There budget is crazy, it wasn't too bad when it was all about the tour but now they have the roster to take all the big GT's.

I wonder could Jumbo, UAE & Bahrain take them on this year. Is there any other team that could challenge them at the Tour?

Here's their current lineup for the tour as per PCS:

DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    CARAPAZ Richard
    CASTROVIEJO Jonathan
    KWIATKOWSKI Michał
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint

Just the 3 GT winners, as well as Porte and a former WC Kwiatko. Still also have Yates, Dani Martinez or Bernal to sub in if required, Maybe even Pidcock if he is fit or Dunbar if he is lucky.
    Their Vuelta shortlist has Pidcock, Yates, Bernal, Carapaz, Sivakov down for that. May be more hope Dunbar getting a crack at that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

retalivity wrote: »

DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    CARAPAZ Richard
    CASTROVIEJO Jonathan
    KWIATKOWSKI Michał
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint

Just the 3 GT winners, as well as Porte and a former WC Kwiatko. Still also have Yates, Dani Martinez or Bernal to sub in if required, Maybe even Pidcock if he is fit or Dunbar if he is lucky.
    Their Vuelta shortlist has Pidcock, Yates, Bernal, Carapaz, Sivakov down for that. May be more hope Dunbar getting a crack at that.

Still they will only have the third favourite at best behind Pog and Rog not to mention Froome :)

mewso wrote: »
    Still they will only have the third favourite at best behind Pog and Rog not to mention Froome :)

Froome wont be there apparently.
    Woods to lead GC with Dan as support and have free reign to go for stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Ineos can throw all the darts they like . I’d rather have Pog or Rog

• Advertisement

Froome is currently down for La Vuelta. Wonder will Tom Dumoulin be in shape for a shot at it?

Interesting one this year in that the final stage is an ITT and it doesn't finish anywhere near Madrid. Quick check of recent years and a few at random and couldn't find one that didn't finish in Madrid. Some further digging and it's going to be "La Vuelta de las Catedrales" so it starts and finishes in a cathedral it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

DENNIS Rohan
    GEOGHEGAN HART Tao
    CARAPAZ Richard
    CASTROVIEJO Jonathan
    KWIATKOWSKI Michał
    PORTE Richie
    ROWE Luke
    THOMAS Geraint

And Porte has a GT podium. Those rostered mainly for lesser races makes me think of the Manchester City bench. Any other team would happily use them for the important games

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Don't worry, all will be forgiven when Eddie accidentally wins the Giro or the Vuelta in a couple of years.

happytramp wrote: »
    Don't worry, all will be forgiven when Eddie accidentally wins the Giro or the Vuelta in a couple of years.

Problem is he is too good to do that and will end up the next Kwiato. Only nobodies and track cyclist magically win GTs at Ineos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Problem is he is too good to do that and will end up the next Kwiato. Only nobodies and track cyclist magically win GTs at Ineos

Kwiato was a track rider as well ...

I have a feeling Rohan might get dropped from that TdF Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭dahat

isn't Rohan off elsewhere after this season? Him getting dropped from TDF squad makes sense if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

dahat wrote: »
    isn't Rohan off elsewhere after this season? Him getting dropped from TDF squad makes sense if so.

Jumbo, seemingly, himself and Rod don't see eye to eye amongst other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Junior wrote: »
    Jumbo, seemingly, himself and Rod don't see eye to eye amongst other things.

Does the Dennis / Ellingworth beef go back to Bahrain Merida?

From what I have seen Dennis is an unpleasant individual. Didnt he get caught on Instagram joking about running over a cyclist in his car or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

What prep races are Pogacar and roglic doing for the tour ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Pog just won the tour of Slovenia

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Zero, zip, none for Roglic. Pog won the Tour of Slovenia at the weekend. Not sure about the nationals though for those two though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

So Froome is confirmed to be starting the TdF https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-to-start-the-tour-de-france/

Wonder if that means anything for Dan's participation? Though it was odd for Dan to be doing the Giro and the TdF, though - would have thought Giro + Vuelta would have been a better combination, recovery-wise.

So Froome is confirmed to be starting the TdF https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-to-start-the-tour-de-france/

Wonder if that means anything for Dan's participation? Though it was odd for Dan to be doing the Giro and the TdF, though - would have thought Giro + Vuelta would have been a better combination, recovery-wise.

PCS still have Dan down in the 8 to start.
    Froome is going to the Tour as 'Road Captain', according to Israel - certainly not on form anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Michael Woods named as leader of the ISN team at the Tour de France. Chris Froome named in support. Woods has zero chance of winning so if Dan Martin goes, he’ll be there as hunting stages rather than going for GC

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭PatM65

PCS still have Dan down in the 8 to start.
    Froome is going to the Tour as 'Road Captain', according to Israel - certainly not on form anyway.

It would be an advantage to have your 'Road Captain' capable of holding his place in the bunch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭devonp

surprised and flabbergasted....:D

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/57413763

devonp wrote: »
    surprised and flabbergasted....:D

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/57413763

It must be painful to be a UK cycling fan at the minute having to explain to everyone that neither Froome or Cavendish are going to win the Tour this year. They have so many good riders but it still seems to come back to these 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Would've thought Thomas and Cav alright - not sure Froome was really taken too outside of the Sky Fanboys, who'd put all trust in Brailsford anyway.

• Advertisement

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Would've thought Thomas and Cav alright - not sure Froome was really taken too outside of the Sky Fanboys, who'd put all trust in Brailsford anyway.

Thomas doesn't have much recognition with non cycling fans. Its Cav, Wiggins and Froome. I lived over there and these were the ones that people would ask about in that same way people ask in Ireland about whether Sam has won the TdF or not.

Thomas and the Yateses never got a mention

Advertisement