Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Really?

I thought it was a sh1tty thing to do when Carrie is doing her best to keep away from drugs and get her son back.

Yes, really. If you read the conversation properly, you'd have seen my point was that with everything we know about Mare's character, I didn't find her actions particularly unbelievable. Rather the opposite, even her desperation, I could absolutely have imagined her doing it.

You appear to have misunderstood that I do not have a problem with cops planting evidence on people...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Pity they didn't give Guy Pearse a better role, they seem to have made very little use of him in this otherwise excellent series.

Heard it mentioned on a podcast that Guy Pearce was a very late addition to the cast after the original actor for that role became unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Cracking finale.
    Man, Lore must've been cursed by a gypsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭archfi

snip spoiler that ruins the end for everyone
    FFS
    Delete that.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Was left hanging after the first scene thinking that was quick and it'd be a bad end to the series if the rest was just filler, how wrong I was. Really did not see that coming at all but there was a couple subtle hints throughout the series.

Excellent series overall..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Damn what a series that was.

Small towns and there secrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Give this show all of the awards!

Superb finale. Kate Winslet is some actor, just one look can communicate huge emotional feeling

Best series i've seen for ages

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Excellent show all round. Winslet on top of her game and ably supported by all the cast,not a performance out of place. Jean Smart again absolutely brilliant too, check out Watchmen if you haven't seen it already. Another piece of fantastic TV.
    Knew there had to be more to it but was wondering how they were gonna pull out the twist!
    they never did explain the missing hour Erin's boyfriend had when he left the house? Was it just assumed he was telling he truth and went for a drive and a smoke? Didn't matter in the grand scheme of things I guess ..another Red herring

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Different final episode, but thought it was excellent.
    Was pretty clear all wasn't as it seemed after the first ten minutes. As soon as he said "kid who cuts the lawn..." you knew where it was going and could feel the gut punch a split second before Mare did

Show will clean up at the Emmy's I imagine, and deservedly so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,376 ✭✭✭Homelander

What a show.....and what an absolutely spectacular turn from Kate Winslet. Genuinely bummed now it's over, for a change I was looking forward to Monday's because it heralded the arrival of the latest episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Rfrip

That was excellent. God powerful ending. V emosh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭archfi

Now that's a well crafted ending - Jed Mercurio take note.
    Kate Winslet is just superb.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

Rfrip wrote: »
    That was excellent. God powerful ending. V emosh

Much more emotional than expected. Wasn't expecting to sob at the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Rfrip

LeakyLime wrote: »
    Much more emotional than expected. Wasn't expecting to sob at the finale.

I’m a wreck after it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Have to say I really like a show where one can't predict the ending from very early on. Definitely didn't see that one coming. I'm a big fan of Scandi-noir series but Mere Of Easttown would make it to the top of that pile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Excellent show. The ending could be seen coming somewhat however imo that's secondary to the performances, Winslet and the supporting cast were exceptional, utterly believable distress and deep seated trauma with just the right smattering of levity at appropriate intervals, marvellous stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

That young lad is great. He reminds me of Elliot in ET.
    Best thing I’ve seen in a long time.. constant twists and turns and just when you think you have it solved, along comes another twist. Just superb. I hope it wins every major award going

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Very emotional here after that. The perfect ending for what has been an incredible series. What will I do on Monday night now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very solid and satisfying finale of a terrific series.
    It was a real must watch every Monday for me.
    I didn't entirely think that would be the ending but all the clues were there
    given the kids serious rage in the canteen, the secret chats with the dad etc. It also explains slightly more clearly why Lori was willing to go along with attempting to hook the murder on Billy

I don't think the finale quite hit the heights of episode 5, but that was to be expected. It gave most of the characters involved an interesting and satisfying ending.

A couple of small things, the Dylan character seemed a bit all over the shop I am still
    not entirely sure why he was so fixated on burning the journals, threatening to shoot Becca etc
    the Guy Pearce character also felt really slight and a bit pointless, maybe I was just expecting a bit more of development for him given he is a big actor. Mares daughter was also fairly weak, not sure if it was the script or the actress in that case.
    But these are minor enough issues.

Winslet will probably get lots of award attention, but Jean Smart was brilliant in every single scene and the interplay between the two of them was terrific, some of their scenes also added some really necessary humour and levity. Julianne Nicholson might not get the awards attention but she was reliably fantastic, she really got to show it in that last episode!

No need for a series two, but will I watch one...most definitely! I would say pretty likely given the excellent reviews and the fact it grew it's ratings from ep1.

The SNL piss take was also really spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

God I really felt that at the end there when she just collapsed into Mare’s arms. Fantastic acting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Brilliant stuff. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

That was excellent.

I'm going to miss Mare's mother, she was gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,293 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That was excellent.

I'm going to miss Mare's mother, she was gas.
    Drunkenly falling off the chair in the last episode....oh
    and hiding all the junk food in the frozen veg bag was genius ha

• Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Now's that a finale, brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Excellent stuff. I'll miss it.

Just a couple of niggles. At the start of the epsode I remembered a lot of people kept blaming Mare for all their troubles - the woman whise daughter was missing, zabel's mother, father of the psychopath girl - and Mare just had to accept it and look glum. And then there was so much more in this episode. It was just overdone. I wanted to just shout once "I am not responsible for your f*ck-up!"
    And Mr Carroll's gun. He gave the impression it was missing for yonks, not a couple of hours. Did he say he missed it that night?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I may have zoned out a little bit and wasn't arsed rewinding but
    did the kid say he stole and replaced the gun on the same night? Yet the old man triggered the whole thing by saying the gun was missing a few days and then reappeared?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

did the kid say he stole and replaced the gun on the same night? Yet the old man triggered the whole thing by saying the gun was missing a few days and then reappeared?

Heeeyyyyy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah, this confused me as well! He must have noticed it missing in the short time it was gone (at most an hour or so!)

Niggles aside, that was a tremendous series. Winslet and Smart, in particular, were outstanding. Like everyone else, I'll really miss it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Think he said he noticed it missing that night when he heard someone at the shed and went to check, then noticed it returned a few days later.

Advertisement