Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

The gun.

Old timer calls the town's senior detective late at night or very early in the morning. The detective is in her bed sleeping. She doesn't ask why his calling because later that morning she pays a visit to his home and after initial small talk, she then asks why he wanted her to visit him at his home. He informs her that two minor items have gone missing. Then he says his gun went missing and then reappeared. He said he kept it in the shed because kids were going up to the attic where he used to store it!?! Why would anyone keep a loaded gun in a shed? Surely, if you had a gun loaded with bullets you would have it in a very secure location in the house? What use is a loaded gun in a shed if an intruder enters your home? Then he heard a noise at night, went to the shed and found the gun was missing. Kid returned the gun to the shed after the fateful deed. Then sometime later home owner goes to the shed and finds the gun is back in its box. All nice and neat with two bullets missing...

Enjoyed the show but thought the above below standard set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Yeah, this confused me as well! He must have noticed it missing in the short time it was gone (at most an hour or so!)

Niggles aside, that was a tremendous series. Winslet and Smart, in particular, were outstanding. Like everyone else, I'll really miss it!

I thought that as well so went back to check. He said it was definitely there on an earlier occasion but when he heard a sound that night he went out to check and the gun was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely outstanding series.

Has to win every award going.

Kate Winslet was outstanding but so were most of female cast.

If there's one thing that was loud and clear from it was the s**t that a lot of women have to put up with in their lives especially in small towns like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

That young lad is great. He reminds me of Elliot in ET.
    Best thing I’ve seen in a long time.. constant twists and turns and just when you think you have it solved, along comes another twist. Just superb. I hope it wins every major award going

he reminded me of the actor who played the lead in Stand By Me , The kid who grows up to be the narrator Richard Dreyfuss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I don't get how Dylan did such a 180, he was waving a gun in that girls face saying he'd blow her head off like Erin in the last episode and now tonight he's Mr. Good guy.

• Advertisement

Thought that was an excellent finale. I was an emotional wreck. As soon as it clicked what had happened my heart sank.

The scene with Mare driving up their street with just the lights flashing and then telling the other officers 'no one goes ahead of me', I found that powerful for some reason. And when the two of them were holding each other on the floor towards the end I was in bits. Incredible performances from both. In fact the entire cast was pretty wonderful but Kate Winslet was in a league of her own.

I thought it might end with Siobhan's video but I think that final scene, the camera panning away from the attic stairs, was poignantly perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Yeah the gun is a bit....eh....no sign of forced entry and only he and the lawnmower boy have the key. Did he not think...how could someone get in here without breaking in?! And yeah...keeping a loaded gun in the shed....riiiight.

Absolutely loved every episode but I have to say I'd have preferred if it was the original person that was convicted tonight ( sorry can't do spoilers), it would have been just as dramatic and more believable imo .I'd watch the series again .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Very good series but by God it dragged on a bit. A two hour movie would have been just as good. Saying that it was a brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,396 ✭✭✭✭siblers

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I don't get how Dylan did such a 180, he was waving a gun in that girls face saying he'd blow her head off like Erin in the last episode and now tonight he's Mr. Good guy.

He was a **** but he did come across like he loved the child throughout the series so wasn't completely uncharacteristic he'd have done that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

So Ryan turned out to be the peeping Tom from first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Thought it was a left handed shooter?
    And story with J making B confess??

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

gmisk wrote: »

A couple of small things, the Dylan character seemed a bit all over the shop I am still
    not entirely sure why he was so fixated on burning the journals, threatening to shoot Becca etc
    I think the idea was him wanting to hide the identity of the child because he/his parents grew overly attached and wanted custody. I agree it was a bit all over the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭LeakyLime

Thought it was a left handed shooter?
    And story with J making B confess??

Because they were forcing Billy to take the blame for his nephew because he had 'less to lose'. He was obviously a bit aimless in life and less assertive than his brother who was the one having the affair with their cousin.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    So Ryan turned out to be the peeping Tom from first episode.

Was it the first episode Mare saw someone suspicious in the street by that old man's house and actually entered the house and jumped the old guy? She was embarrassed at the time.

But Think she actually saw Ryan ... must watch it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I'm so glad the finale wasn't a disappointment especially after being burned recently by Line of Duty.

There were a few gaps in logic throughout the show, especially Mare stealing the drugs from the evidence room, but not enough to affect my enjoyment of the show.

Jean Smart was fantastic (as she was in Watchmen and Fargo)

There's a reason Kate Winslet has been trending on Twitter every Monday for the last 7 weeks. It was an extraordinarily great performance, a great peak of acting achievement. I think for a lot of people Mare will now be her signature role instead of Rose from Titanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched 1st episode last night.

Very slow and a bit meh so far, tempted not to stick with it.

Please tell me it improves, a lot.

I'm so glad the finale wasn't a disappointment especially after being burned recently by Line of Duty.

There were a few gaps in logic throughout the show, especially Mare stealing the drugs from the evidence room, but not enough to affect my enjoyment of the show.

Jean Smart was fantastic (as she was in Watchmen and Fargo)

There's a reason Kate Winslet has been trending on Twitter every Monday for the last 7 weeks. It was an extraordinarily great performance, a great peak of acting achievement. I think for a lot of people Mare will now be her signature role instead of Rose from Titanic.

My favourite Kate Winslet performance had been her other mini series 'Mildred Pierce'. Its exceptional. Couldn't recommend it enough.

The two film performances for me: The Reader and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

Her turn as Mare is up there with them. She is just the best of a generation.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Another jarring jump for me was the Guy Pearce story..... last I remember, Mare was backing off, saying she needed to get her **** together, so he basically said "call me" - and then suddenly when he has to leave she's all "but what's going to happen with 'us' "???

A minor niggle though. Fantastic finale, the few little inconsistencies didn't take at all from the fantastic acting - esp from Lori, watching her entire world crumble over the last couple of episodes made for powerful watching. At least she (hopefully) has her pal back at the end, though.

And although she didn't actually verbalise it, the conflict Mare had between her friends, loyalty, duty, conscience and the consequences of her actions was brilliantly put across.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

NIMAN wrote: »

It does. A lot.

• Advertisement

LeakyLime wrote: »
    Because they were forcing Billy to take the blame for his nephew because he had 'less to lose'. He was obviously a bit aimless in life and less assertive than his brother who was the one having the affair with their cousin.

That is a weak part of the story for me. It is just not believable.
    The acting and suspense was Brilliant, one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, but the resolution of the story had parts that didn't ring true.
    The Dylan character in particular was very inconsistent.
    I hate when shows explicitly manufacture red herrings, it's just lazy storytelling. Good whodunnits don't have to rely on that.

NIMAN wrote: »

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but it is a slow build. I would recommend at least another episode to see how it is going. Also, avoid this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

Can't find the answer- how are John and Erin related? Is he Kenny's brother? Ewww...

Shelga wrote: »
    Can't find the answer- how are John and Erin related? Is he Kenny's brother? Ewww...

He is Kenny's cousin, if I remember correctly. Definitely related so yeah, Ewee...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Rare you'd get any show that doesn't have a few odd ends. Characters where definitely included/shaped to have you thinking they could be the killer etc. Overall a pretty decent watch I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭kellso81

Fantastic show, great study of grief and trauma and the strength of female relationships wrapped up in a crime drama. Loved it.
    With regards the old guy and the gun, kept it in shed because he didn't want grandkids getting it in the house. I think it signposted he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's maybe? He didn't really remember phoning mare, worried about everyday items going missing. Explains his confusion about the gun, who could get in the shed and the bullets missing. Throws a bit of light on the inconsistencies I think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

kellso81 wrote: »
    Fantastic show, great study of grief and trauma and the strength of female relationships wrapped up in a crime drama. Loved it.
    With regards the old guy and the gun, kept it in shed because he didn't want grandkids getting it in the house. I think it signposted he was in the early stages of Alzheimer's maybe? He didn't really remember phoning mare, worried about everyday items going missing. Explains his confusion about the gun, who could get in the shed and the bullets missing. Throws a bit of light on the inconsistencies I think

Yeah exactly, he’s been shown throughout as being a little bit frazzled (to say the least), his wife has just died and he’s stopped cleaning up after himself. It’s not a logic gap, it’s nitpicking.

Likewise for Dylan, it’s not black & white... a well written character doesn’t need to be either good or bad. He’s an asshole but loves DJ and his parents so will do bad things to others to benefit them.

As for Mare & Guy Pearce... I think a good few months have passed before their goodbye, she’s been seeing a therapist and seems to have dealt with some of her grief... thereby sorting her **** out which was holding her back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭archfi

I'm thinking the clamour for the character Mare to continue will be too much TV$$$/universal praise to avoid.
    It's pretty much setup for a new series in a different location, maybe where her love interest moved to.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Shelga wrote: »

Kenny, Erin's father, and John are cousins. It never said how close in the show but I'm presuming first cousins. I think that would make John and Erin first cousins once removed.
    John's son Ryan and John and Erin's son DJ are brothers and second cousins once removed. The murderer Ryan and Erin are second cousins. I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

I thought they were brothers

Advertisement