Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If anyone is looking for more Kate Winslet, she acts Saoirse Ronan off the screen in 'Ammonite'. Such repressed passion.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I'd love to be able to watch all the episodes together, loved the first 2, can't wait for the next one.

Soap2day.im

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭d1980

Maybe I missed it but John I think said they had prepay phones to talk. Surely she would have had that phone on her as she texted him the night she was killed and records would have linked John to the scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

she was found posed in the nip in the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Funniest bit -

When Mr Carroll blurted out at his wifes funeral the Mares mother had an affair with him - and it just cuts away to Mare laughing her head off in the car home ! Brilliant.

Loved the series. Loved Kate Winslett....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭The_Dave

Did I miss something, as far as I can tell, Ryan stole the gun and returned it the following day (that's how I interpreted the timeline), how did the gun owner notice it missing in such a short space of time:confused:

The_Dave wrote: »
    Did I miss something, as far as I can tell, Ryan stole the gun and returned it the following day (that's how I interpreted the timeline), how did the gun owner notice it missing in such a short space of time:confused:

He heard someone outside (which was actually Ryan), he went to the shed to get the gun and it wasn't there. Ryan returned it later that night. The old man presumably forgot about it (it was made to appear he was getting dementia or the like) or he just didn't bother checking again for a while but whenever he did check again, a long time later, the gun was back because as we know Ryan returned it the same night.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,723 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

What didn't make sense to me was this:

When they tracked Erins phone to the park she was killed in, we were told it was 13 miles away (I think) so they discounted that she could have cycled there.

But then in the last episode we learned that the murdered cycled to the park to confront her.

I was a little disappointed with the ending but overall a decent show - although watching it I always thought I had seen something similar before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

BPKS wrote: »

When they tracked Erins phone to the park she was killed in, we were told it was 13 miles away (I think) so they discounted that she could have cycled there.

But then in the last episode we learned that the murdered cycled to the park to confront her.

I was a little disappointed with the ending but overall a decent show - although watching it I always thought I had seen something similar before.

Did the discount it only because of the time frame? Like she wouldnt have made it there in the time she was last seen in the first place to when her phone pinged to the other place?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Well it doesn't say how far was the neighbourhood the others lived in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

BPKS wrote: »

I took it to mean the park was too far from the woods where she was at the beginning of the night, maybe where Ryan took the gun from was much closer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I've watched two episodes. Why won't the mare stop eating?! Same thing with the Cruella film, Emma Thompson constantly stuffing her gob. It's giving me the munchies lol

Stop eating?
    Every time I look at it someone is taking another beer from the fridge!

Havin' me a few beers, gonna hop in ma car, and go for a drive.
    And I'm a bringin' ma gun, just in case I get angry with someone over somethin'.

I did enjoy it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Thought this was good but not outstanding and tbh was a bit underwhelmed at the ending - wasn’t suprised at who the murderer was and was a bit disappointed actually. I have this feeling of deja vu as well, feel like I saw a storyline like this before. Thought Kate Winslet was great and also, Jean Smart as her mother was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

I really enjoyed it but felt it was a bit too heavy on the put-upon women cleaning up the messes of their dysfunctional men. Seriously, when do they just say enough with these losers? :) Guy Pearce seemed to be the only guy handling his ****, but had a nothing role. I predicted the boy's mother was the killer from early on, so I got close but it did seem a twist too far by the end. Cast were great, especially the women: good to see a show that gives actresses meaty roles, like Little Fires Everywhere last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭banie01

leahyl wrote: »
    Thought this was good but not outstanding and tbh was a bit underwhelmed at the ending - wasn’t suprised at who the murderer was and was a bit disappointed actually. I have this feeling of deja vu as well, feel like I saw a storyline like this before. Thought Kate Winslet was great and also, Jean Smart as her mother was hilarious!

Deja vu storyline wise could well be the similarity to The Undoing?
    I enjoyed this, really enjoyed the staging and the background of the opioid epidemic and its effects.
    The story itself and a lot of the characters were really superfluous IMO, the shifts in focus left the thread of the story relying on the viewer to follow it rather than take the viewer along IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Julianne Nicholson as Lori was very good especially in the finale, a very underrated actress imho

• Registered Users Posts: 81,448 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoyed this, Kate Winslet is great, I actually think she is better looking now than in Titanic, a sure sign that I am getting old :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Julianne Nicholson as Lori was very good especially in the finale, a very underrated actress imho

She was the real star of this show in my opinion.

Winslet and Smart were very good too.

Show was good, if not outstandingly brilliant. Kinda underwhelming finish, but nonetheless a worthwhile watch. The intertwining of the families and the strong characters played well, over all good, one of the better series I've seen in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think they really nailed the small town/tight knit community feel.

My 71 year old Dad pointed out that the scene in the church at the end was like something from the Simpsons, where every character in the town shows up to church! I wonder does this actually happen anywhere nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Winslet has said she would be keen to do a second season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

leahyl wrote: »

I didn't see the UK version, but didn't the US version of
    Broadchurch
    have a child as a killer, and
    Secrets and Lies

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,713 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm not sure if it has been pointed out before but a couple of things jarred with me in the final episode particularly around the twist and wrap up. I'll spoiler tag the rest for good measure on the off chance there are people like me late to the final episode.
    If you're arresting a 13 year old child, you do it as discreetly as possible. You don't send "all available units" to arrest a child in their home being comforted by their mother. Mare knew he was going home to his mother when he jumped the fence and ran.

No idea why Billy is in jail.

John should have been released too though probably end up back in due to the other crimes including perjury, rape of a child and as an accomplice to murder.

It could be down to differences in the operation of laws in the US vs. here but we also don't detain children until after they've been found guilty, if even then. Seems strange they would show the events around Erin's death as being accidental and then proceed to lock Ryan up in juvie.

Anyway, other than that I enjoyed the show and I have to say Kate Winslet was exceptionally good throughout.

Did we ever see Erin's father reaction to what his cousins did to his daughter, where was he?

I was surprised Lori took Erin's child to raise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Did we ever see Erin's father reaction to what his cousins did to his daughter, where was he?

I was surprised Lori took Erin's child to raise
    Erin's dad was in jail for shooting Dylan

Lori took the child in because her child had just robbed him of a mother.

Erin's dad was in jail for shooting Dylan

Lori took the child in because her child had just robbed him of a mother.

But Dylan and his parents wanted to keep the baby

Why spoiler tags as the show has aired

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

But Dylan and his parents wanted to keep the baby

Why spoiler tags as the show has aired

They'd no legal right to him. Dylan wasn't the father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

I really enjoyed it but felt it was a bit too heavy on the put-upon women cleaning up the messes of their dysfunctional men. Seriously, when do they just say enough with these losers? :) Guy Pearce seemed to be the only guy handling his ****, but had a nothing role. I predicted the boy's mother was the killer from early on, so I got close but it did seem a twist too far by the end. Cast were great, especially the women: good to see a show that gives actresses meaty roles, like Little Fires Everywhere last year.
    Yeah, very enjoyable; didn't mind the overt misanthropy. I'd say the Guy Pearce character is kept in reserve for a potential second series for skeletons in a cupboard. Mare's father's background is also ripe for exploitation. The rather upbeat ending is bound to come crashing down again.
    Although the show may be a bit too glum for many, the performances really are great, to back up a surprisingly twisty-turny tale.

Advertisement