Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

This is exactly what I was thinking. Still expecting some sort of curveball though!

Yeah me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

yup - good summation

Oh and I still want to know what Dylans problem is. Why he burnt the journals. Like others I thought maybe he wasnt as bad as he first seemed and was burning the journals to protect Erin's secrets but after the last episode seems there's something dodgy around that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Oh and I still want to know what Dylans problem is. Why he burnt the journals. Like others I thought maybe he wasnt as bad as he first seemed and was burning the journals to protect Erin's secrets but after the last episode seems there's something dodgy around that too.

I’m guessing he’s just afraid they will make him look guilty. He probably was abusive to her a lot and he wants to remove himself from suspicion. A thoroughly scummy character. He is played well!

I’m guessing he’s just afraid they will make him look guilty. He probably was abusive to her a lot and he wants to remove himself from suspicion. A thoroughly scummy character. He is played well!

You're probably right and yep played very well indeed. Just looking at his face makes me angry at this stage! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

You'd think Mare would have learned something from the end of the last episode but there she is again, challenging a probable killer with one and a half arms when she could have waited for backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Yeah this is pretty much what I think.

John was having a relationship with Erin. Erin threatened to tell. John killed her. Billy was there or found them and tried to resuscitate Erin, getting covered in blood. John came up with some bull, probably about his family needing him and guilted Billy into keeping quiet.

Did his son even see him cheating again or did he witness something that night like his dad coming home late and destroying evidence and when his mam asked if it was cheating he just went along with it rather than tell her he thinks his dad is a murderer.

John probably pleaded with Billy to take the fall for him then when the truth was starting to surface. Billy seems a little soft/gullible and John probably played the family, young kids card to get him to do it. Thats why he wanted to hear billy say he was guilty. He was coaching him. And then as someone else pointed out, told his wife Billy did it, knowing she'd tell Mare.

He kills Billy at the cabin (self defence or makes it look like suicide) and bobs your uncle, he's a free man.

Except that photo is John and Erin together! So..

Unless he's riding her in the photo, it has to be something more than just the two of them together. They're family like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,292 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Larbre34 wrote: »
    But what possible motivation would Siobhan have to kill Erin, even if she has trauma issues? I think again its just more part of Mare's life tapestry, the amount of shyt she is juggling.

My theory is (spoiler) that although Billy may have killed Erin, that John (who we know to be an incorrigible philanderer) was also messing around with her and is in fact the baby's father. He wants to do anything to get back with his wife Lor and so his plan to shoot Billy up in the woods can be dressed up whatever way he likes (self defence when tackling a confessed killer) and also blame the parentage of the baby on Billy once he's dead thanks to their close DNA (assuming he isn't directly tested himself). That way, he and Lor can also get custody of the baby as closest living relatives to raise as their own.

Of course nothing will go to plan with Mare arriving in the Woods closely followed by the rest of Easttown PD, so thats where it becomes anyone's guess as to who walks out alive!

By the way, if anyone is enjoying 'Mare' and hasn't seen The Outsider, I'd highly recommend it.
    I agree with that basically too.

I actually think Mares friend might have set her up as well (perhaps unwittingly or perhaps not), she flipped a bit too easily to telling her all.

The outsider is cracking, pity they cancelled season 2

Unless he's riding her in the photo, it has to be something more than just the two of them together. They're family like.

Yeah true enough. Kissing maybe. I dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Baybay

Billy was there or found them and tried to resuscitate Erin, getting covered in blood.

Erin was shot in the head. If Billy was trying to resuscitate her, would he be covered in blood? Maybe, if he tried to move or turn her as part of it suppose. I can’t remember, was that the phrase Pat used, covered in blood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,613 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I hope Kate cleans up in the awards, she is phenomenal as Mare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭appledrop

Yeah this is pretty much what I think.

John was having a relationship with Erin. Erin threatened to tell. John killed her. Billy was there or found them and tried to resuscitate Erin, getting covered in blood. John came up with some bull, probably about his family needing him and guilted Billy into keeping quiet.

Did his son even see him cheating again or did he witness something that night like his dad coming home late and destroying evidence and when his mam asked if it was cheating he just went along with it rather than tell her he thinks his dad is a murderer.

John probably pleaded with Billy to take the fall for him then when the truth was starting to surface. Billy seems a little soft/gullible and John probably played the family, young kids card to get him to do it. Thats why he wanted to hear billy say he was guilty. He was coaching him. And then as someone else pointed out, told his wife Billy did it, knowing she'd tell Mare.

He kills Billy at the cabin (self defence or makes it look like suicide) and bobs your uncle, he's a free man.

Except that photo is John and Erin together! So..

Yep that's what I think but who knows we will find out soon.

Still devasted they killed Colin. He would have been great in season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

100% there shouldn't be a S2

100% there shouldn't be a S2

Don't think there's any plans for one tbh. Might turn into an anthology True Detective style series.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Don't think there's any plans for one tbh. Might turn into an anthology True Detective style series.

Agree. No need for S2 - would ruin it. Tired of series that get strung out - worked for GoT for most part until crummy ending. Wish they would wrap up Handmaids Tale - can't take it much longer - just relentless horror - hearing there will be another season ... groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

You'd think Mare would have learned something from the end of the last episode but there she is again, challenging a probable killer with one and a half arms when she could have waited for backup.

shes incredibly headstrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Finally caught up on this, binged it over a couple of days, sky Q decided to actually work for me!

So crawling through the thread.
    What a great series from start to finish, every episode has you laughing and nearly crying. The relationship between the family is excellent.
    The acting and story is griping.
    The finding the son after committing suicide was incredibly heartbreaking with so much detail for 10secs.
    The child in the bathtub, the fear you have his mother is going to let him down.

Next thing your laughing at Jean Smarts incredible acting with Kate Winslet.
    Hats off to the creatures of this one, because its just being a well worked roller-coaster.

Had a little bit accidently spoiled by Googlebox as it was on in the background one evening, but it has not stopped my enjoyment.

My only request Please no stupid ending, please stick the landing of this one and no season 2 please it doesn't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

By the way, if anyone is enjoying 'Mare' and hasn't seen The Outsider, I'd highly recommend it.[/QUOTE]

Where can this be seen? The only Outsiders on Netflix are Japanese. I’ll need something to focus on after next weeks finale.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭MintyMagnum

Kate Winslet is like a Streep for her generation. She has such a range and can say so much with just her facial features - like when Zabel asks her out and after he kisses her.

Kate Winslet is like a Streep for her generation. She has such a range and can say so much with just her facial features - like when Zabel asks her out and after he kisses her.

Her reaction when he kissed her was so lovely. Absolutely fantastic actress

• Advertisement

Has anyone seen The Hunt? It’s by the same director Craig Zobel. I thought it was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Just watched episode 6 tonight, very good, have enjoyed the series a lot so far, the planting drugs bit was a bit much I thought, but apart from that it is solid.

Billy confessed but yeah I think maybe its the brother, maybe Billy was drunk and misremembers.
    Looking forward to finale anyway, whats on the photo :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Just watched episode 6 tonight, very good, have enjoyed the series a lot so far, the planting drugs bit was a bit much I thought, but apart from that it is solid.

Yeah it seemed a bit too far. I think after that happened there was a scene with her son stealing from her with the girlfriend where they knocked Mare down on the ground in the bathroom, so to some extent you can understand why she did it but it does seem out of character.

I'd no problem with her planting drugs. She's not some goody two shoes heroine. She's someone who's suffered way too much, knows what Carrie is/was like and had the means at hand to solve a personal problem.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I'd no problem with her planting drugs. She's not some goody two shoes heroine. She's someone who's suffered way too much, knows what Carrie is/was like and had the means at hand to solve a personal problem.

I think it's the way she went about planting the drugs is the problem. She is an experienced detective but took the drugs from her own station's evidence lock up. Seems like an amateur move on her part. She should have just bought some untraceable drugs on a street corner and planted those instead. I didn't think Mare would make a mistake like that and it doesn't tie in with what I've seen of her in the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭archfi

Just finished second last episode.
    Really good and grim series and I totally agree - no series two, this wasn't made for a second series at all no matter how good the main characters are.
    Adding my voice to the praise for Kate Winslet - she is an absolutely tremendous actor at the very top of her game.
    And the mother of Mare isn't bad either.

My guess:
    I think it's Lor that killed her and her husband is the daddy ;)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Be interesting to see what happens with the priest and Guy Pearce's character, I hope there's something more to come from the priest otherwise it felt like his role was just filler

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My reading of the current situation is that:

The priest
    is completely innocent of any wrong doing. He faced false accusations in his previous parish which have followed him to Easttown which caused him to act suspiciously in the current situation. A red herring.

Billy
    was being blackmailed by Erin into thinking he was the father. Being a bit simple he was an easy mark. He killed her.
    The real father is Lori's husband John Ross and it is he in the photograph taken from Erin's journal, He told Lori about Billy's confession knowing full well that she would tell Mare. He may be planning to kill Billy in the woods, make it look like suicide/accident to close out the investigation and any need for DNA tests due to the confession.

All the above is probably wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Really?

I thought it was a sh1tty thing to do when Carrie is doing her best to keep away from drugs and get her son back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Pity they didn't give Guy Pearse a better role, they seem to have made very little use of him in this otherwise excellent series.

Advertisement