Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mare Of Easttown | HBO *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭PIORUN

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I don't get how Dylan did such a 180, he was waving a gun in that girls face saying he'd blow her head off like Erin in the last episode and now tonight he's Mr. Good guy.
    its all about the the Red Herrings...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Kenny, Erin's father, and John are cousins. It never said how close in the show but I'm presuming first cousins. I think that would make John and Erin first cousins once removed.
    John's son Ryan and John and Erin's son DJ are brothers and second cousins once removed. The murderer Ryan and Erin are second cousins. I think!

With my genealogist hat this is correct.

John & Billy are cousins of Kenny
    Therefore Erin is their first cousin once removed.

Ryan and Erin are second cousins
    Ryan and DJ are second cousins once removed but also half-brothers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

John and Billy are Kenny's (Erin's dad's) cousins, presumably first cousins. Specifically mentioned when Mare brings them to the house to tell Kenny Erin is dead.
    Charlie19 wrote: »
    So Ryan turned out to be the peeping Tom from first episode.

No, that's just a wee neighborhood **** who loved terrorising Betty Carroll. You could see him on the security footage Mare deleted, where he'd drawn the big pair of tits and at the BBQ event for Erin where he was staring Betty out of it (she asked is he still staring at me).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,072 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Very good, bit a bit too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I was very surprised Mare didn't look into what John's old mistress said, that she hadn't been with him for years.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I was very surprised Mare didn't look into what John's old mistress said, that she hadn't been with him for years.

I took that as one of the first seeds of doubt in her mind, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Got to this show late, binged it all last week and watched finale last night.

The finale was grand, I didn't love it like most people online seem to, but it was a decent ending to a good show. They didn't drop the ball which is the main thing, but it did feel like they were squeezing two episodes worth of story into the one episode purely for how quickly the scenes were moving on. Resolution, wedding, goodbyes, twist, trials, character resolutions... I couldn't help but wonder was production affected by covid, particularly with 7 being an odd episode count. I must look up did they combine a bunch of story elements and wrap it up quicker than planned in one episode.
    Myself and the Mrs had factored the kid as a prime suspect a few episodes ago, but he was so slight that I couldn't see how he was out at night, knowing where she was to kill her. But the dad/uncle drama coming in the penultimate episode made a bit of sense to that.

I didn't like
    that the gun thing. The old guy makes out that it was disappeared for a while. I know he doesn't say that but he was quick to discover it gone, it would be a quick script fix to make it better. The kid steals and returns the same night. That old guy finds the gun missing and then a murder happens, gunshot wounds on the body and he doesn't report it?
    Ideally the script would have had it that police were searching everywhere for the gun now they had the confessed killer in custody and that leads the son to returning it to where it was from. Then the old man spots it and calls Mare up.

Did anyone else not find the church scene a bit unbelievable? I just don't buy that all those characters were there at that one service, including that awful bully girlfriend of the Dylan. She's too tough going to be going to church.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I took that as one of the first seeds of doubt in her mind, no?

Possibly but it didn't show her looking into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

Probably just took it that he’d lied to the wife to cover that he was seeing Erin

• Registered Users Posts: 24,007 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Excellent show. The ending could be seen coming somewhat however imo that's secondary to the performances, Winslet and the supporting cast were exceptional, utterly believable distress and deep seated trauma with just the right smattering of levity at appropriate intervals, marvellous stuff altogether.

I think the ending could only be seen coming in the last episode, because the cast didn't know what the ending was going to be before then, according to the post-credits chat that took place, in particular when Angourie Rice talked about the series.

Whatever ending they decided to have would have had the "clues" leading up to it in previous episodes. They could have gone for a complicated ending involving someone else being the perp, and obviously change the final episode to back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Another jarring jump for me was the Guy Pearce story..... last I remember, Mare was backing off, saying she needed to get her **** together, so he basically said "call me" - and then suddenly when he has to leave she's all "but what's going to happen with 'us' "???

The scene in the cafe and at the wedding kind of indicated the family as a whole was moving on. The murder was in autumn and I'm pretty shure the leaves on the trees were a lot greener at the end of the series which would imply spring or even end of the summer. (The daughter going to Berkley).

Anyway I loved the show. We guessed who murderer was before but the arrest scene was absolutely devastating for me. Some brilliant acting from all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

meeeeh wrote: »
    The scene in the cafe and at the wedding kind of indicated the family as a whole was moving on. The murder was in autumn and I'm pretty shure the leaves on the trees were a lot greener at the end of the series which would imply spring or even end of the summer. (The daughter going to Berkley).

Yeah I get that, just the final episode seemed to speed up the timeline dramatically all of a sudden, like they suddenly realised that only had another episode to finish with.

But it was just a couple of things that jarred slightly - didn't take away from the overall fantasticness of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Possibly but it didn't show her looking into it.

I think the scene where she was rewatching John's interview was just that - she saw that his story wasn't adding up (he lied about the type of gun used in the murder), and she asked the Captain dude if the ballistics expert was good, and he said he was the best.

This all happened after that scene in the diner, but before she spoke to the old geezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Got to this show late, binged it all last week and watched finale last night.

The finale was grand, I didn't love it like most people online seem to, but it was a decent ending to a good show. They didn't drop the ball which is the main thing, but it did feel like they were squeezing two episodes worth of story into the one episode purely for how quickly the scenes were moving on. Resolution, wedding, goodbyes, twist, trials, character resolutions... I couldn't help but wonder was production affected by covid, particularly with 7 being an odd episode count. I must look up did they combine a bunch of story elements and wrap it up quicker than planned in one episode.
    Myself and the Mrs had factored the kid as a prime suspect a few episodes ago, but he was so slight that I couldn't see how he was out at night, knowing where she was to kill her. But the dad/uncle drama coming in the penultimate episode made a bit of sense to that.

I didn't like
    that the gun thing. The old guy makes out that it was disappeared for a while. I know he doesn't say that but he was quick to discover it gone, it would be a quick script fix to make it better. The kid steals and returns the same night. That old guy finds the gun missing and then a murder happens, gunshot wounds on the body and he doesn't report it?
    Ideally the script would have had it that police were searching everywhere for the gun now they had the confessed killer in custody and that leads the son to returning it to where it was from. Then the old man spots it and calls Mare up.

Did anyone else not find the church scene a bit unbelievable? I just don't buy that all those characters were there at that one service, including that awful bully girlfriend of the Dylan. She's too tough going to be going to church.

The timeline was a bit odd there alright. Felt they could've dropped that info earlier in the series, or had it play out a little differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

Surprised nobody has brought up the scene in the river when Mare overpowered a 200lbs+ man with her arm in a cast, at the same time as bringing the gun under control. Thought that was very poorly done and unrealistic.

Also not sure why Ryan was being painted in a sympathetic light, he had one violent outburst in the school and then shoots an innocent girl, the circumstances weren't enough to draw any sympathy for such an act. Would expect him to be reoffending if anything when he gets out, little psycho!

Great acting but the script wasn't strong enough through-out the series to warrant the reviews its getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

The story was good.. Not good enough to get awards .. Plenty of other series as good as it.
    Mare was the most depressing character and remained so to the end. She was pissed when the ex got engaged but ended up playing happy families and going to his wedding.. big change of heart there..
    Was the priest guilty or not? he was moved because of his friendship with another girl? His sermon lead us to believe he was right and everyone else was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭GavMan

House Hunt wrote: »
    Surprised nobody has brought up the scene in the river when Mare overpowered a 200lbs+ man with her arm in a cast, at the same time as bringing the gun under control. Thought that was very poorly done and unrealistic.

Also not sure why Ryan was being painted in a sympathetic light, he had one violent outburst in the school and then shoots an innocent girl, the circumstances weren't enough to draw any sympathy for such an act. Would expect him to be reoffending if anything when he gets out, little psycho!

Great acting but the script wasn't strong enough through-out the series to warrant the reviews its getting.

The incident was in school was after the murder and his sister was being bullied for having downs syndrome. Hardly what I would call an overreaction for a pubescent teen struggling with a secret that he accidentally took a life confronting his father's lover during a misadventure to protect his mother and keep the family unit together

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Madelyn wrote: »
    Was the priest guilty or not? he was moved because of his friendship with another girl? His sermon lead us to believe he was right and everyone else was wrong.

It was never clarified but I think the implication is he was innocent. Character gave me serious creepy vibes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Would agree with the one or two who've said the ending was fine without being unbelievable, as someone said it tied everything up and nothing too unbelievable happened which was a relief after being so let down by line of duty, but probably the weakest episode of the series still.

I enjoyed it for sure and would recommend it, an 8/10 for me. There was something just a bit too on the nose about it to make it a true epic. I found similar with the Undoing and Your Honor which were both Sky Atlantic, although this was much better than both of those. There was a cheesy element to the show I didn't like - too much focus on the 'small-town' setting, didn't enjoy the scenes with Mares mother or daughter, a lot of episodes felt dragged out particularly the finale. But good watch overall however and I realise I'm probably in the minority in thinking that.

It was never clarified but I think the implication is he was innocent. Character gave me serious creepy vibes though.

he was creepy.. The actor reminds me of a young Alec Baldwin or his brother William.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I must admit to confusing Frank with John, same chunky frame and straggley beards and glasses then confused at to who Lori was....

Was the Billy/John story plausible? would John have murdered to protect Ryan or was it to protect himself from the truth of his affair coming out? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yeah I laughed at that, if it was the smaller brother it might have been more believable that she wouldnhave been able to bring him down.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

I loved the show. Up there with Line of Duty and other shows seem crap in comparison.

I didn’t like the ending though. After reading the predictions here
    I felt a bit manipulated that actually it was that but with a twist you weren’t expecting. I agree it was more believable that John did it than John covered for Ryan

Also
    if it was an accident why is Ryan in a detention centre at all. Will a jury have to decide if he is telling the truth or not

I didn’t think Mare planting the drugs was silly. She’s only a small town detective and she had given up on the missing Katie case and didn’t seem to care about it. The mistake with the drugs fits with her character screwing up a lot. She’s not a top detective as she showed by jumping the old guy and not cooperating with Zabel at the beginning. She came good in the end by
    solving the crimes involving the 3 girls
    but she’s not generally a detective at the top of her game. If she was she would be a different person and probably in a different job.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I don’t think she overpowered him. Watching it back it seems they both struggled a bit, she got on top of him and then he kind of relented a bit and gave up, telling her to just shoot him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I was thinking about it all day today

Always sign of an excellent show

Marz66 wrote: »
    I loved the show. Up there with Line of Duty and other shows seem crap in comparison.

I don't think it is in the same league as Line Of Duty.. There is no comparison IMO. LOD had us gripped from the first night and continued all through the series.

Marz66 wrote: »
    Also
    if it was an accident why is Ryan in a detention centre at all. Will a jury have to decide if he is telling the truth or not

Because when you accidentally kill someone by shooting them twice and it's not self defence, you don't just get to go "oh sorry everybody, it was an accident, please let me go".

Given the confession, I doubt there'd have been any sort of trial before a jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭wally79

I didn’t think it was an accident. The gun went off once when they were struggling which was the bullet in the tree but I think he said he shot her after the struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Ah ok - I didn’t realise there were 2 shots. That changes things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

GavMan wrote: »
    The incident was in school was after the murder and his sister was being bullied for having downs syndrome. Hardly what I would call an overreaction for a pubescent teen struggling with a secret that he accidentally took a life confronting his father's lover during a misadventure to protect his mother and keep the family unit together

This is the part I don't get, you seem to be sympathising with him, which appears to be the general consensus. Picking up a gun in a pre-meditated fashion and setting up a false meet with the victim as a result of a parent's affair is the most extreme reaction possible, and the second shot doesn't seem to have been an accident. Anyway, whether it was an accident or not doesn't really matter, his actions up to that point were all wrong.

The second violent incident taking place after the murder just proves that he was out of control and a danger to society. How many young people experience bullying of siblings and parents having affairs, but only a small minority will resort to extreme violence, especially at that age.

Advertisement