Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

markodaly wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1364833669442076675

Just a reminder what the Provos were actually like.
    Whataboutery in 3..2..1...

You can't trust a word that SF/IRA ever said about anything. They lied and lied their way through their terrorist campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You share the same twitter feed with arlene foster

Sinn Fein share power with Arlene Foster.... ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Sinn Fein share power with Arlene Foster.... ;)

They do. Its what they need to do because otherwise the North would crumble

The same goes the other way

Why do FF/FG need to bring up SF's past all the time but try ignore and forget about the FF/FG and the church killings, abuse, rape, sexual abuse over the past 100+ years?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

They do. Its what they need to do because otherwise the North would crumble

The same goes the other way

Why do FF/FG need to bring up SF's past all the time but try ignore and forget about the FF/FG and the church killings, abuse, rape, sexual abuse over the past 100+ years?

Because each and every one of them is a hypocritical **** and always trying to deflect from their own wrong doings.

They've lads on here for over 12 hours every day with the sole intention of attacking SF or the RA - most of the posts are pure made up rubbish that comes out of their arses but you wouldn't expect anything less from a mob in serious decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1364833669442076675

Just a reminder what the Provos were actually like.
    Whataboutery in 3..2..1...

It's no wonder you have a warped grasp of history mark, when you are subscribed to sites like this. This is the same kind of victimhood Willie Frazer engaged in, looking only one way and blaming one side.

A lot of people died in and around that day in the years of the conflict/war. But let's just remember selective victims and the most emotive ones, because it suits the agenda. An example of what happened on the same day in 1976:

Two Catholic civilians were killed by Loyalist paramilitaries who had left a bomb at the Hibernian Social Club, Conway Street, Lisburn, County Antrim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

Would who is worth a remembrance or recognition of anniversaries or whatever be most reasonably agreed by all, that any civilians or members of the state security forces who died in the troubles be due any marking that their families, the state, or their organisation, think appropriate.

But that member of all paramilitary organisations who died, be not marked in any way whatsoever. No more than a drug dealer shot by the police or rival gangs, or whatever. And that their names be consigned to dusty history books, and anyone suggesting, organising, or marking their anniversaries in any positive light, be condemned by wider society.

Unless both sides in NI are prepared to condemn the criminals and terrorists on their own side, as well as the other, then NI will still have a problem, and rightly be treated as 'rather your problem than mine' by both the UK and Ireland?

It is in the hands of both communities to do that. And NI would be an immeasurably better society - under whatever state jurisdiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Would who is worth a remembrance or recognition of anniversaries or whatever be most reasonably agreed by all, that any civilians or members of the state security forces who died in the troubles be due any marking that their families, the state, or their organisation, think appropriate.

But that member of all paramilitary organisations who died, be not marked in any way whatsoever. No more than a drug dealer shot by the police or rival gangs, or whatever. And that their names be consigned to dusty history books, and anyone suggesting, organising, or marking their anniversaries in any positive light, be condemned by wider society.

Unless both sides in NI are prepared to condemn the criminals and terrorists on their own side, as well as the other, then NI will still have a problem, and rightly be treated as 'rather your problem than mine' by both the UK and Ireland?

It is in the hands of both communities to do that. And NI would be an immeasurably better society - under whatever state jurisdiction.

the udr were a paramilitary organisation if I ever saw one.

blanch152 - you do realise you watered down the impact of you thanking posts when you admitted that when you thank a post it doesnt always mean you agree with it?

maccored wrote: »

No it wasn't. It is a regiment of the British Army.The factually incorrect opinion above is exactly the one that has to be consigned to history so that NI really can advance to a normal society. The above attitude is not normal, and to be universally condemned.

maccored wrote: »

The UDR - a great bunch of lads.

https://sluggerotoole.com/2006/05/03/details_on_that_udr_and_collusion_story/

No it wasn't. It is a regiment of the British Army.The factually incorrect opinion above is exactly the one that has to be consigned to history so that NI really can advance to a normal society. The above attitude is not normal, and to be universally condemned.

They look.the same and act the same,to my eyes anyway

• Advertisement

They look.the same and act the same,to my eyes anyway

I understand you see it like that. But seeing it like that is the problem.

bunch of anti catholic part time UDA men a lot of them. factually incorrect my arse.

There are bad eggs in every security force. Sometimes they gain greater influence and spread disease within that security force. However, that doesn't remove the democratic legitimacy to that security force, only diminishes it somewhat.

On the other side, no terrorist organisation has any democratic legitimacy. They are just criminals, 100%.

no - the UDR acting like they did was the problem. own it

blanch152 wrote: »
    There are bad eggs in every security force. Sometimes they gain greater influence and spread disease within that security force. However, that doesn't remove the democratic legitimacy to that security force, only diminishes it somewhat.

On the other side, no terrorist organisation has any democratic legitimacy. They are just criminals, 100%.

here we go - blanch152 - who probably never met a member of the udr ever - forgives them by using the old 'bad apple' scenario' diminishes it somewhat' - a substantial 'somewhat' regardless of you forgiving them for being sectarian murdering arseholes.

Suited the unionists though to have them

Not if you are the 'democrat' making the judgement call, we get that.

Fact is, not everyone saw it in the pseudo democratic legitimacy terms you saw selective bits of it.

Not if you are the 'democrat' making the judgement call, we get that.

Fact is, not everyone saw it in the pseudo democratic legitimacy terms you saw selective bits of it.

There was no democratic legitimacy for the PIRA. SF got a miniscule proportion of the vote while the PIRA were active. That is fact, not opinion.

Since they stopped killing people, they have got some reward for that, but they remind me of the guy who got thanked for stopping beating his wife.

There was no democratic legitimacy for the PIRA. SF got a miniscule proportion of the vote while the PIRA were active. That is fact, not opinion.

Since they stopped killing people, they have got some reward for that, but they remind me of the guy who got thanked for stopping beating his wife.

Who voted for the UDR in Ireland?

Spouting about 'democratic legitimacy' when there was zero democracy is one of the last refuges of the partisan and biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Scratchly

but they remind me of the guy who got thanked for stopping beating his wife.

If the wife was warned and didn't evacuate then surely its not the husbands fault?

Who voted for the UDR in Ireland?

Spouting about 'democratic legitimacy' when there was zero democracy is one of the last refuges of the partisan and biased.

By 1973, there was a Northern Assembly elected by PR, but you know, SF couldn't be bothered, just wanted the PIRA to keep killing people.

• Advertisement

By 1973, there was a Northern Assembly elected by PR, but you know, SF couldn't be bothered, just wanted the PIRA to keep killing people.

There you have it. The last refuge, partitionist soundbites without any context or objective review.

1973 blanch? Are you for real?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

There you have it. The last refuge, partitionist soundbites without any context or objective review.

1973 blanch? Are you for real?

o the irony of that from you francie

o the irony of that from you francie

You work away and big up the 'democratic legitimacy' of the UDR lads, I'm gonna roll around here laughing at you...ironically and every which way.

How?

They blaggard,terrorise and kill innocent.people and funnel guns,money,and material assistance to loyalist paramilitaries to kill completly innocent people aswell

Its long since time,that murder club,posing as a army regiement was wound up

That's only a point of view. Not that that is not your right. But nevertheless, it is only a point of view.
    That the UDR was an official and legal arm of the government of the UK is simply unarguably true. You can write black is white as often as you like, it will never make it the case. The UDR may have been a poor performing arm of the state - many criticism are valid, and they should be answerable to courts state and martial - but what ever happened, they remain, as an organisation, both official, and legal. And not terrorists, unlike other groups who were outside the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Well, I was right about the whatbaoutery brigade charging down the hill. :)

Anyway, the PIRA were quick to kill police officers and Gardai, sure they didn't recognise the Gardai as the legitimate police force of the republic till 1986.

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1365198663719424002

Well, I was right about the whatbaoutery brigade charging down the hill. :)

Anyway, the PIRA were quick to kill police officers and Gardai, sure they didn't recognise the Gardai as the legitimate police force of the republic till 1986.

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1365198663719424002

Of course you mentioned 'whataboutery' to make yourself look astute and clever.

The fact is you are the exploiter of victims, nobody else and that needs to be pointed out to you. Willie Frazer would have been proud of you, he engaged in the exact same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

grayzer75 wrote: »
    He wasn't a suicide bomber, the target was a power station not a civilian bus so you can stop your fantasy posting about it.

Ding ding, tickets please ....

Thank you sir, oh by the way what's in the bag?
    Oh it's just a semtex bomb - "What"?

Oh yeah, I'm on the way to the power station to blow it up, oh, and tell the driver to take it easy over the speed humps, just in case .... Oops :cool:

........ silence, followed by screaming.

Not good to make bombs, and even worse to take them on the bus for a jaunt to the intended target.

Ding ding, tickets please ....

Thank you sir, oh by the way what's in the bag?
    Oh it's just a 500lb bomb - "What"?

Oh yeah, I'm on the way to the power station to blow it up, oh, and tell the driver to take it easy over the speed humps, just in case .... Oops :cool:

........ silence, followed by screaming.

Not good to make bombs, and even worse to take them on the bus for a jaunt to the intended target.

"The bus was not the intended target, we believe," said Comdr. John Grieve of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

grayzer75 wrote: »
    "The bus was not the intended target, we believe," said Comdr. John Grieve of Scotland Yard's anti-terrorist branch.

My point being, if one is of the bomb making persuasion (eg Mad), then taking the bomb on the bus with you is even madder!

• Advertisement

My point being, if one is of the bomb making persuasion (eg Mad), then taking the bomb on the bus with you is even madder!

You're assuming he assembled the device - he may have been just a courier.

I agree it shouldn't have been brought on board a bus, it should never have been assembled in the first place.

The events around that time led to a split within the PIRA which the majority moved on the path to another ceasefire and ultimately decommissioning and a small number went another path which ultimately led to the carnage in Omagh.

Advertisement