Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

My point being, if one is of the bomb making persuasion (eg Mad), then taking the bomb on the bus with you is even madder!

Is shooting someone dead, mad too? Or does it depend?

We are losing track of the thread here. A family wanted to commemorate their dead son and were bullied into cancelling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

My point being, if one is of the bomb making persuasion (eg Mad), then taking the bomb on the bus with you is even madder!

if your gona use logic intelligence or a normal though process your in the wrong thread hamster

We are losing track of the thread here. A family wanted to commemorate their dead son and were bullied into cancelling.

wasn't the local sf the only ones who wanted the event to happen ?

some one was asking for a link to the family wanting it and it was not produced just the stuff that was from the councillor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    There was no democratic legitimacy for the PIRA. SF got a miniscule proportion of the vote while the PIRA were active. That is fact, not opinion.

Since they stopped killing people, they have got some reward for that, but they remind me of the guy who got thanked for stopping beating his wife.

every post on SF seems to remind you of that. I wonder why? Something thats on your mind a lot?

By 1973, there was a Northern Assembly elected by PR, but you know, SF couldn't be bothered, just wanted the PIRA to keep killing people.

*blanch152 ignoring gerrymandering*

• Advertisement

That's only a point of view. Not that that is not your right. But nevertheless, it is only a point of view.
    That the UDR was an official and legal arm of the government of the UK is simply unarguably true. You can write black is white as often as you like, it will never make it the case. The UDR may have been a poor performing arm of the state - many criticism are valid, and they should be answerable to courts state and martial - but what ever happened, they remain, as an organisation, both official, and legal. And not terrorists, unlike other groups who were outside the law.

only a point of view? You lads should jsut give up and go to the golf forum or somewhere. Ye's havent a clue
    The British government as far back as the early 1970s was informed at the highest level of widespread collusion between the Ulster Defence Regiment and loyalist paramilitaries, new official documents have revealed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/british-told-of-udr-collusion-with-loyalists-in-1970s-1.998705

wasn't the local sf the only ones who wanted the event to happen ?

some one was asking for a link to the family wanting it and it was not produced just the stuff that was from the councillor

No. The family wanted it, SF was involved in helping them put it together.
    Which doesn't really matter, the family wanted it. They got bullied into cancelling.
    “The party helped the family organise a short online tribute to their son and brother,” Cllr Ó Súilleabháin told Alan Corcoran on South East Radio.

‘There is a family bereavement here. That's the first and foremost consideration. In a week when a family should have been allowed to remember their son or brother, I just found it so disappointing that they had to be subjected to the vilest online abuse, carried out in a very organised way and we'll say very targeted way,” the Sinn Féin councillor claimed.

“It wasn't random. It was done by a local political gang. Then we had the cheap political point-scoring not just from Senator [Gerard] Craughwell but from local Senator Malcolm Byrne.”
    The online commemoration for Edward O’Brien, which was organised by Edward’s father Miley and supported by Wexford Sinn Féin, was cancelled at the request of the family due to significant online abuse targeting the family in recent days.

We've politicians wearing a poppy, which is seemingly acceptable or a sign of moving on. Then we've an Irish family wanting to remember their son attacked by hypocrites.

No. The family wanted it, SF was involved in helping them put it together.
    Which doesn't really matter, the family wanted it. They got bullied into cancelling.

We've politicians wearing a poppy, which is seemingly acceptable or a sign of moving on. Then we've an Irish family wanting to remember their son attacked by hypocrites.

ya that's the quote from the party but nothing from the family ,

wasn't that already very clearly shown already ?

Beyond the family stating that they wanted to cancel due to online bullying?
    Do you think if the family had nothing to do with it at all and never wanted it the Indo/Times would be all over it?

We know the family wanted to commemorate their son and decided to cancel due to being attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

There has been no direct quote from the family to date.

• Advertisement

There has been no direct quote from the family to date.

Call the papers and let them know SF made the whole thing up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Natterjack from Kerry

I'm not sure thats quite accurate. But shamed, or saw the light that memorials for terrorists are not acceptable to the vast majority of people. Its as it should be. Such scum should rightly be forgotten. It would seem this episode has made some people aware of how unacceptable such a mindset is today.

That's a ridiculous thing to say.

There is nothing about the abandoned commemoration of this murderous event that can legitimately be characterised as "merely" a family wanting to commemorate their son.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    That's a ridiculous thing to say.

There is nothing about the abandoned commemoration of this murderous event that can legitimately be characterised as "merely" a family wanting to commemorate their son.

It's their son they wanted to commemorate not the event. So 'a family wanting to commemorate their son' is exactly what it was.

So 'a family wanting to commemorate their son' is exactly what it was.

Which is abhorrent in itself. You do not 'commemorate' a terrorist.

It's their son they wanted to commemorate not the event. So 'a family wanting to commemorate their son' is exactly what it was.

Nothing stopping them from doing that.

I am absolutely sure this man's death was nothing but a great personal tragedy for his family to say the least.

Public "commemorations" of murderers however, albeit killed by their own hand in the act of doing murder, are not, however, something the rest of us should have to stomach.

people do this every year for the british army - terrorists with a government backing

maccored wrote: »
    people do this every year for the british army - terrorists with a government backing

They aren't terrorists though.
    The IRA and its apologists are free to warp reality to their disturbed view. But they cannot redefine words. I can see how it would suit the bending of arguments that make no sense to normal people speaking the Queen's English, to be able to do so. But once you do that, the argument itself collapses rather.

They arent terrorism though.
    The IRA and its apologists are free to warp reality to their disturbed view. But they cannot redefine words. I can see how would suit the bending of arguments that make no sense to normal people speaking the Queen's English, to be able to do so. But once you do that, the argument itself collapses rather.

it is terrorism though.....otherwise you guys are claiming likes of bloody sunday, and the 1000 or so deaths via collusion are legal

If so,explain how funneling guns,money,info and material support to paramilitaries is legal,

How was the treatment,intimidation and ultimately the killing of aiden mcenspie legal and not terrorism in your eyes and why do you support it,since its "not terrorism"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

They aren't terrorists though.

Jaysus no. All they did was theive rape and pillage for a few centuries, but as they were in uniform that behaviour was perfectly acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,222 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The PIRA, a great bunch of lads, fighting for Ireland which is not a crime, no harm in anything they did and sure even if they did kill a few civilians their heart was in right place, wasn't it?

https://twitter.com/OnThisDayPIRA/status/1365307754093699072

People accuse me of selective victims, but it is simply not true. The people with selective memories here are those who support terrorists and their actions which amounted to over 700 dead innocent civilians.

There are no posters here, that big up the Loyalists and what the deplorable actions they carried, so why do people insist on giving the PIRA quarter?
    Why do people (rightly) come to the conclusion that the loyalists were nothing more than murdering scumbags, yet when talking about Irish Republican scumbags, we go down the road of Olympic levels of whataboutery and excuses?

It is clear as light as day, that people excuse the murders of innocent civilians as just something that happened and the PIRA are not to blame for their deaths. In fact, some people supported putting bombs in public places to bring 'da brits' to heel and if innocent people get killed, well too bad...

People need to take a long hard look at themselves tbh.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Jaysus no. All they did was theive rape and pillage for a few centuries, but as they were in uniform that behaviour was perfectly acceptable.

Just a question, would you have regarded the Irish Defence Force and the Gardai in the same vein, because SF/PIRA did and killed many of both.

Ask anyone who served in the Irish Army back then, what they think of the PIRA and you will get a very frank and honest answer, that you will not like. But yea, 'Up da Ra!' and wrap that tri-colour around yourself and call yourself a great Irish lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭Odhinn

markodaly wrote: »
    Just a question, would you have regarded the Irish Defence Force and the Gardai in the same vein, because SF/PIRA did and killed many of both.

Are you trying to excuse the crimes of crown forces with this bizzare conflation?

Are you trying to excuse the crimes of crown forces with this bizzare conflation?

LOL

IRA murderer blows himself up, killing an innocent civilian as a result of the same explosion. Sinn Fein belatedly realise it is untenable to commemorate this event.

But this thread is about the crimes of Crown forces and making accusations that they are being apologised for.

I'm sorry. You people really do live in an alternate reality.

To paraphrase the cranberries, everybody else is doing it so why can't they?
    Families should be allowed commemorate their family members.
    When people commemorate the RIC/tans the Minister for justice attends. Thats okay seemingly yet these people can't do similar for their own son?
    I would never deny a family that right

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Crown forces!

Once I hear the term "Crown Forces" I know that I'm in a time warp/time slip that stretches back to the 1600s. Horses hooves, and the clanking of Cromwellian armour. Nobody uses the term Crown Forces, except hard boiled Republicans who are just as trapped in the past as the equally crazy Williamites.

ecoli3136 wrote: »
    LOL

IRA murderer blows himself up, killing an innocent civilian as a result of the same explosion. Sinn Fein belatedly realise it is untenable to commemorate this event.

But this thread is about the crimes of Crown forces and making accusations that they are being apologised for.

I'm sorry. You people really do live in an alternate reality.

This thread is about a family being bullied for political reasons.

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

This thread is about a family being bullied for political reasons.

The more threads they have about SF, deflects from the chaos

Crown forces!

Once I hear the term "Crown Forces" I know that I'm in a time warp/time slip that stretches back to the 1600s. Horses hooves, and the clanking of Cromwellian armour. Nobody uses the term Crown Forces, except hard boiled Republicans who are just as trapped in the past as the equally crazy Williamites.

Anytime I hear the term "Crown Forces" my bigot antenna goes from off to on.

Remember the time the Real IRA issued a statement when they murdered Lyra McKee? They blamed it on "Crown Forces". Crown Forces being the PSNI! :rolleyes:

Just listen to this Terrorist, whatabout his way through the interview. What is striking is how often the same terms and phrases and the whataboutery is used as talking points on these types of threads.

• Advertisement

You never answered the question.. which is not a surprise, but yea, those 'crown forces' or 'something something'.
    Deflect, whatabout, divert. Par.of.the.course.

Advertisement