Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein cancels bomber commemoration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

mynamejeff wrote: »
    https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/03/14/news/only-four-military-convictions-for-troubles-murders-1572088/

seems your wrong again :eek::eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/25/up-to-200-ex-soldiers-being-investigated-over-troubles-allegations

are the ba covered under the gfa ? I don't know , the excusing of war crimes is a massive mistake in the gfa imo ,

if your just going to make stuff up this is sort of pointless ,

The GFA doesn't excuse anything. To avail of the prisoner release you have had to face the courts and serve at least 2 years (I think) in prison if found guilty.

The important bit here is that everyone (British Army, RUC, loyalist and republican paramilitaries) should face the courts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Im not a bot,so its not a waste of time :)

Im of assumption irish examiner,irish times,irish indo and south east radio done due dilligence and the lack of anyone saying otherwise,leads to make conclusion he is saying truth

Should info come to light,saying his father wasmt involved in arranging said commeratiom,il have no bother condemning them

I have no party,so the accusatio is weak and tbh you come across unhinged and unable to contence the possibility people may have a differing biew,when posting it

so no you cant , sort of disproves your first sentence

your posting history disproves the rest

Gfa agreement allows 2 year max,for convictions between 1974 and 1998,most would surely be released

I guess?

But criminals from both sides arent being punished,soldier f is a open and shut case,but they not bothering

The only people getting arrested/serving long on remand,are dissidents rising on political scale,and its being used as a way of silencing descent to benefit of shinners.......a wholly inappropriate way for any country/democracy to carry on

already stated I disagree with that part of gfa ,

war criminals should never be free , from either side ,

isn't sfira in government in the NI ? ]
    surely your own party can do something about it , unless they are concerned about locking up their own members

jm08 wrote: »
    The GFA doesn't excuse anything. To avail of the prisoner release you have had to face the courts and serve at least 2 years (I think) in prison if found guilty.

The important bit here is that everyone (British Army, RUC, loyalist and republican paramilitaries) should face the courts.

2 years for murdering children and indiscriminate bombing or shooting ,

doesn't sound fair to me

How so?

Your coming across unable to discuss tbh,im open on record as most likely voting for indo at next election,

Its a big bad world,hopefully.you might get to see some of it sometime,you may then learn,sometimes people have differing views to you.......

as opposed to screaming bot at everyone,who dont fall in line with yous worldview (its brilliant though :D)

you mean you've been shown to be making stuff up and got busted again same as many other threads

fair enough I do get annoyed at the exploitation of innocent people and the bullying culture in political parties, all parties

you should look into the definition of internet trolls and shinnerbots though ,

and what happens to the when they are exposed and the party throws them under the bus ( hopefully not one with a bomber on it )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was organised by his father,was it not?

This is what papers are reporting?

Are you picking up your information from the papers or from people living in North Wexford?
    i mean like,everything ive heard from talking to people living in north wexford has pointed me in the direction of the toxic young wing of one particular party

t

As did many others disagree on that and other aspects,but such is democracy,

Ok? ,

Im am not in,nor associated with sinn fein,so you may grow up and drop that nonsense,as its reductive and only serves to highlight yous lack of knowledge

lol

the gfa was a price we had to pay to the terrorists for peace ,
    a very high one but when a group of people have a gun to you head people will agree to all sorts

I have shown a pletora of evidence and provided reasonable facts and logic to support it....so yanno,

Tbh i dont think,they exist to any extent people imagine...people called be a shinberbot,a bluebot(fg),a ff member at various times,one even said im a rugby supporter (i dispise rugby and its culture),some call me a liberial,while others call me a commie....same for racism/homphobic

,so this has just lead to conclude irish people are terrible at examing broader picture and simply like to scream all sorts of accusation at anyone,who see the world differently

so your are going to produce evidence that the father organised the commeration as you repeatedly asserted then and not just the party shill ? great lets see it

Im of assumption irish examiner,irish times,irish indo and south east radio done due dilligence and the lack of anyone saying otherwise,leads to make conclusion he is saying truth

Translation:

"I don't actually know if the family organised this commemoration. I read in the article that it was organised by the father, but I didn't realise that the statement saying it was organised by the father was actually a quote from some Sinn Féin mouthpiece, and not the father himself.

I then tried to lend credence to my made up fantasy by claiming that I get my information from "people in north Wexford", when that isn't true at all.

Now that I've been called on it by someone who DOES know the family, I'm going to pretend that everything that's been published in the papers is true, thereby absolving me of any wrongdoing..........which is similar to the IRA planting a bomb then blaming others for the consequences, which I fully support because I'm a terrorist sympathiser".

You're some boyo, I'll give you that.

so your are going to produce evidence that the father organised the commeration as you repeatedly asserted then and not just the party shill ? great lets see it

Since you know the family, why don't they come out and say what happened now? From reading reports of the funeral in 1996, the family were very vocal about their having no idea that their son was a member of the PIRA and they didn't want anything to do with a paramilitary funeral.

• Advertisement

I have already

The fact you have chosen to regard irish examiner,irish times,irish indo and south east radio as liers,is something you will have to come to terms with on your own time

They are not liars. They reported that a Sinn Fein spokesperson said that the commemoration was organised by the father.

They may well be the victims of the Sinn Fein liar.

I have already

The fact you have chosen to regard irish examiner,irish times,irish indo and south east radio as liers,is something you will have to come to terms with on your own time

you made a statement claiming it to be as fact which is false and you are refusing to admit it ,

come on blazz nut up and admit you were wrong and just following the party line

are you thus saying the media is incompetant and deosnt corroborate their stories?

Particularly for high profile events such as this

Surely one could then, only lead to a comclusion our media is corrupt and not fit for purpose and should be wound down?

Will you support calls for a garda investigation into who orgamised this commeration and associated accusations of abuse?

Perhaps its also time to have a broader inquiry/tribunal into the standreds of the media here aswell,with a view to removing rugby coverage too?

Irish journalists do a half arsed job ? well I never !!!!!!

high profile , jesus the self importance of you people is sickening

why would the gardai investigate it ? you ll never get out of that hole if you don't stop digging

blanch152 wrote: »
    They are not liars. They reported that a Sinn Fein spokesperson said that the commemoration was organised by the father.

They may well be the victims of the Sinn Fein liar.

Whatever about the Indo, I'd be very surprised if the IT or Examiner hadn't checked with the family.

I'd also be surprised if the family didn't issue a statement if it wasn't true.

Its hard to know what to make of it. You have all these people condemning terrorism, yet about 2,000 people turned up to Ed O'Brien's funeral in '96.

I suppose its a case of condemn the sin, but not the sinner.

I have provided evidence to support my position

Do you believe the media is lying here?

Would you join.calls for a garda investigation into whom orgamised this commeration and associated accusations of abuse directed to the family?

(Particularly since you know them,and want them exonerated from being associated with it?)

5th or 6th time now , show me where the father or family say they have anything to do with it ?

again why the f would it be a garda matter , its a self serving party shill looking for some cheap publicity at the expensive of a innocent family ?

5th or 6th time now , show me where the father or family say they have anything to do with it ?

Its literally in the article!!

again why the f would it be a garda matter , its a self serving party shill looking for some cheap publicity at the expensive of a innocent family ?

I feel such a high profile event of this with accusations and counter accusations of whom started what,a garda/judical investigation is required to get to bottom of the story here?

Looks to me,if what your saying is true,it would sink.the shinners and exonerate the family for eternity?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2019/03/14/news/only-four-military-convictions-for-troubles-murders-1572088/

seems your wrong again :eek::eek:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/apr/25/up-to-200-ex-soldiers-being-investigated-over-troubles-allegations

are the ba covered under the gfa ? I don't know , the excusing of war crimes is a massive mistake in the gfa imo ,

if your just going to make stuff up this is sort of pointless ,

4 arrests of soldiers? 4? F-o-u-r? in 40 odd years? It actually says "A SMALL number of British soldiers have been convicted of murder while on duty during the Troubles."

Did you ever read it?

And you saying Im wrong? holy jaysus! Have you ever thought of writing for the simpsons or something cus you are hilarious

You love shooting your feet it seems:
    Mr Reilly, a former road manager for pop group, Bananarama, was shot once in the back as he ran away from a disturbance in west Belfast. However, it later emerged that Thain was released from prison without publicity less than three years after receiving his life sentence. He was also re-instated in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Translation:

"I don't actually know if the family organised this commemoration. I read in the article that it was organised by the father, but I didn't realise that the statement saying it was organised by the father was actually a quote from some Sinn Féin mouthpiece, and not the father himself.

I then tried to lend credence to my made up fantasy by claiming that I get my information from "people in north Wexford", when that isn't true at all.

Now that I've been called on it by someone who DOES know the family, I'm going to pretend that everything that's been published in the papers is true, thereby absolving me of any wrongdoing..........which is similar to the IRA planting a bomb then blaming others for the consequences, which I fully support because I'm a terrorist sympathiser".

You're some boyo, I'll give you that.

So you are telling us we should believe some well known castle loyalist on Boards who is rabid about SF and is now pretending to know the family over the Irish Times and The Examiner

Back up your claim that this fantisist knows this family

Your some boyos Lolz

are you thus saying the media is incompetant and deosnt corroborate their stories?

Particularly for high profile events such as this

Surely one could then, only lead to a comclusion our media is corrupt and not fit for purpose and should be wound down?

Will you support calls for a garda investigation into who orgamised this commeration and associated accusations of abuse?

Perhaps its also time to have a broader inquiry/tribunal into the standreds of the media here aswell,with a view to removing rugby coverage too?

This is comedy gold.

Sinn Fein member lies to media, so suddenly the media is corrupt and not fit for purpose and should be wound down!!!! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,142 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think SF can do better here. We can all do better.

There has to be a way for all to remember their dead with respect.

I mentioned before that Michael D. Higgins talks about 'ethical commemoration' and is extremely well spoken on this subject. If any country in the world needs to have a loud conversation, with all voices heard, about that subject it is Ireland the island.
    You can respect other people/communities losses without detracting from what you believe or stand for yourself.

Just as I wouldn't agree with the Black & Tan State commemoration, I wouldn't agree with the way this was done either.

• Advertisement

I think SF can do better here. We can all do better.

There has to be a way for all to remember their dead with respect.

I mentioned before that Michael D. Higgins talks about 'ethical commemoration' and is extremely well spoken on this subject. If any country in the world needs to have a loud conversation, with all voices heard, about that subject it is Ireland the island.
    You can respect other people/communities losses without detracting from what you believe or stand for yourself.

Just as I wouldn't agree with the Black & Tan State commemoration, I wouldn't agree with the way this was done either.

I think the word needed is rememberance. It lacks the celebratory nature of commemoration.

This is comedy gold.

Sinn Fein member lies to media, so suddenly the media is corrupt and not fit for purpose and should be wound down!!!! Lol.

Have you evidence to support your accusation,it was lies?

Surely you would support a garda investigation into who organised it,and the associated accussations of abuse??

I think the word needed is rememberance. It lacks the celebratory nature of commemoration.

That might have more to do with your understanding of the word.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/books/ireland-s-decade-of-commemorations-a-time-to-remember-a-time-to-forget-1.4163768

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/remembrance

"the act of remembering and showing respect for someone who has died or a past event:"

That is different to commemoration which involves a level of celebration for the past event.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/remembrance

"the act of remembering and showing respect for someone who has died or a past event:"

That is different to commemoration which involves a level of celebration for the past event.

You better get on to your Green Party deputy leader who is handing out money for 'commemorations'.
    ‘I want to sincerely thank all of the local authorities for responding with such enthusiasm, ambition and imagination in developing their commemorative programmes for this year. I know that it took considerable work to adapt their plans so skilfully in response to the immense challenges imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic’.

https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/b77b2-minister-martin-announces-funding-of-50000-for-every-local-authority-in-2021-under-the-community-strand-of-the-decade-of-centenaries-programme/

tipptom wrote: »
    So you are telling us we should believe some well known castle loyalist on Boards who is rabid about SF and is now pretending to know the family over the Irish Times and The Examiner

Back up your claim that this fantisist knows this family

Your some boyos Lolz

I've yet to see any proof that this poster has lied, and am willing to take them at their word.

Blaaz, on the other hand, has been caught out numerous times on this thread alone..... making stuff up, misunderstanding basic concepts, trying to weasel their way out of actually saying they are a terrorist sympathiser, finally admitting that terrorists and those trying to protect the public from terrorism are one and the same, pretending to know people in "North Wexford" (more weasel words to avoid saying Gorey, in an attempt to let on they're in the know but retain plausible debiability if challenged), welching on bets, looking for Gardaí investigations into hypothetical scenarios...... I know which poster I'll be giving the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, "Castle loyalist" is a new one on me. Sounds like something a dyed in the wool 'ra head might say. Seeing as you've waded in here all guns blazing (no pun intended), would you like to answer the three questions I put to Blaaz and jm08 (who still hasn't answered) earlier in the thread?

Are you saying the media is lying here??

Maybe we should launch a garda investigation into whom organised said commeration to get to bottom of it and associated accusations of abuse?

I have no issue condemning those,who claimed father organised it,if it comes out he didnt

No, he's saying that the info reported in these publications is, at a bare minimum, third hand information. The only person who's actually said the family organised it, is the person who stands to benefit the most from it....i.e. it looks suspiciously like something the organisers would say themselves, if they were caught with their pants down and trying to claim it wasn't their idea at all.

"So, Mr Sinn Féin mouthpiece, why are you celebrating the life and death of a terrorist who blew himself up?"
    "well, Mr Examiner reporter, it was actually the family who are celebrating and we just think it's a good idea"

Also, you have got to be the most trigger happy person with regard to Garda investigations I've ever come across. In fact, I've never heard anyone call for a Garda investigation into something so trivial*** as this. And this is the 4th time you've called for an investigation in this thread, IIRC.

***I know you called it high-profile, but I'd bet some serious money that this is only high-profile in certain 'Tiocfaidh ár lá' circles. that is, of course, if I had any faith in your honesty and integrity in wagering.

Will you support a garda investigation to clarify,whom organised said commerations and associated accusations of abuse?

Have yous donated like.you said yet?

Holy moly, there's another call for an investigation. What do you think the Guards are doing, sitting around waiting for calls to spring into action and investigate the most mundane crap you've ever seen.

Also, for the last time.......
    I didn't donate anything because I WON THE BET!
    It is you who lost and should be donating, remember?
    I did say I'd donate to yours if you could prove you donated to mine. You ignored that post because it makes you uncomfortable, though.

I've yet to see any proof that this poster has lied, and am willing to take them at their word.

Blaaz, on the other hand, has been caught out numerous times on this thread alone..... making stuff up, misunderstanding basic concepts, trying to weasel their way out of actually saying they are a terrorist sympathiser, finally admitting that terrorists and those trying to protect the public from terrorism are one and the same, pretending to know people in "North Wexford" (more weasel words to avoid saying Gorey, in an attempt to let on they're in the know but retain plausible debiability if challenged), welching on bets, looking for Gardaí investigations into hypothetical scenarios...... I know which poster I'll be giving the benefit of the doubt.

Anyway, "Castle loyalist" is a new one on me. Sounds like something a dyed in the wool 'ra head might say. Seeing as you've waded in here all guns blazing (no pun intended), would you like to answer the three questions I put to Blaaz and jm08 (who still hasn't answered) earlier in the thread?

What questions have you asked me? Link please.

FYI, the old term for ''castle loyalist'' would have been ''castle catholic'' or ''West Brit''. In brief, catholics whose loyalty was to ''Dublin Castle'' (which was the centre of the British establishment in Ireland).

• Advertisement

jm08 wrote: »
    What questions have you asked me? Link please.

FYI, the old term for ''castle loyalist'' would have been ''castle catholic'' or ''West Brit''. In brief, catholics whose loyalty was to ''Dublin Castle'' (which was the centre of the British establishment in Ireland).

Yeah I gathered as much, doesn't really hold much relevance these days, though, does it?

Edit:sentence withdrawn cos I'm an idiot

The questions you missed, or the simplified versions at least, are:
    Question 1 (a simple yes or no will suffice):

Do you find it acceptable for someone to set off a bomb in a public place?

Question 2 (another yes / no question):

Do you find it acceptable for that same someone to set off a bomb in a public place, if they warn the authorities about it first?

Question 3 (more of a free form answer this time around:

Do you think it's acceptable for the person in question 2 to turn around and say "well, I warned the authorities, so if anyone gets killed by my bomb then that's their fault for not acting on the warning and not my fault for setting off the bomb in the first place"?

Advertisement