Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 laworlawww

Dropin wrote: »
    Has any fellow FE1 gambler left " Trial in due Course of Law and Right to a Jury Trial " (City College manual presentation) out of their Constitutional studies? Unless my grid is wrong its a fairly regular topic but one that doesn't cross over with other topics. Il admit, I am prone to rolling the dice for these exams but the sheer size of the topic leaves me concerned. Thanks

According to the lecturer, the topics below are minor topics that are unlikely to come up- so these ones could potentially be left out but I think the other topics would be difficult to leave out as they come up a fair bit.

Autrefois Acquit and Related Principles
    Right to a Jury Trial
    Disclosure and Advance Notice of Proposed Evidence
    Retrospectivity
    Trial and Sentence in Absentia
    No Right to Trial in a Particular Venue
    Right to an Interpreter
    Right to a Proportionate Sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lawlz

awsah wrote: »
    Hi Everyone!

so I got my criminal exam paper back, and I thought I would share it here. At the very least it has the November 2020 exam paper for people. but I am pretty happy with the markings on it, it gives at least a vague indication of where I went right (compared to my company paper that had zero marks on it). I got 62% so people can use it to gauge how much they need to write for online exams, structuring, how many cases I used etc. This should not be used as a form of sample answer and no one should be learning what I have written because 38% of the paper is wrong, and you can't be sure if I spoke about the wrong case somewhere or was talking complete rubbish for a few sentences.

i was absolutely howling at the mistakes I made, it reads like a person whose brain was fried after my third exam in a row! I am impressed, though, at how much information my brain retained, and it gives me hope for the next set, that I will somehow pull it out of the bag!

Thank you for uploading this! I was surprised yours actually has marks and ticks!! I got my constitutional paper back and there’s not a single mark on it! Completely clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

Lawlz wrote: »
    Thank you for uploading this! I was surprised yours actually has marks and ticks!! I got my constitutional paper back and there’s not a single mark on it! Completely clean.

I have a feeling some examiners printed off the exams and corrected them that way and others didn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

is there any topics in constitutional that would not come up does anybody think ? 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Aisbash

Iconic10 wrote: »
    is there any topics in constitutional that would not come up does anybody think ? ��

My lecturer told us that because of the recent developments in the area of the right to life of the unborn it has lost its relevance in the FE-1 constitutional exam. She said it would only really arise now in the case note question as there has been a few well-known cases in the area.

• Advertisement

Aisbash wrote: »
    My lecturer told us that because of the recent developments in the area of the right to life of the unborn it has lost its relevance in the FE-1 constitutional exam. She said it would only really arise now in the case note question as there has been a few well-known cases in the area.

wonder is the case note for constitutional like the EU one - badly answered etc. debating whether to do the case note for constitutional or not. i left it out for Eu.

wonder is the case note for constitutional like the EU one - badly answered etc. debating whether to do the case note for constitutional or not. i left it out for Eu.

If you know the cases it’s good to answer it he’s a fair marker

And especially if struggling for a 5th answer

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johnnash2020

I answered on McCrystal and Shatter cases in March 2020 as my fifth question. Knew like 3 cases extremely vaguely surrounding McCrystal and the CoA and SC decisions in Shatter, plus a bit about Shatter's complaints in the case and mentioned the book he wrote. Got 4/10 for McCrystal and 6/10 for Shatter, giving me 10/20.

I think to safely make 10/20 though, you need to state how ruling evolved through HC, CoA, SC.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Have people received the separate email with the marking breakdown for company yet?

when will the recheck results be out ? have any of you started studying again for any you failed or are you waiting for the result ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

oh my god I was going no where near that, I panicked at the end becasue I thought I had 5 questions done and with half an hour to go i realsied it was only 4!! so the first quesiton i clicked on was provocation so I did that one, didn't think I did well on that question but it wasn't my worst answer so I made the right choice I think.

What would you say for the bee question, does the bees have anything to do with it really, it seems more like a question you would find on a tort paper!

It's a joke based on the automatism case - Hill v Baxter where one of the judges was like automatism is basically like when one is driving a car and is attacked by a swarm of bees then they could not be criminally liable for injuring someone in a crash.

I just wanted to reference that scene that's all! I would have had to have thrown it in!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Fe179user

How do people know what cases to learn in detail for the case notes in constitutional? Is it just luck or is it predictable?

Fe179user wrote: »
    How do people know what cases to learn in detail for the case notes in constitutional? Is it just luck or is it predictable?

It’s very unpredictable and is a mixture of new cases and old cases!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Did ultra vires and/or SLP come up on the November Company exam?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

Did ultra vires and/or SLP come up on the November Company exam?

someone posted screenshots of the questions from the paper a page or two back, I believe the short answer is no, ultra vires definitely not. there was a question on the advantages and disadvantages of incorporation and the consequences of incorporation generally (same question, 2 parts)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭awsah

For Equity, did mareva injunctions come up in November? If anyone gets their paper back would you mind posting the questions!

For Equity, did mareva injunctions come up in November? If anyone gets their paper back would you mind posting the questions!

Injunctions didn’t come up at all

constitutional is such a drag- so much to cover don’t think i’ll even have enough time to pass in March. Anyone know the pass rate for it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

I know competition law comes up every year in EU but it seems pretty huge. Do people normally cover it or leave it out and cover all the other topics? I've noticed it only really comes up on its own ie not mixed in with other topics so I was thinking it might be safe to leave out if you have the other topics covered well.. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FE1TINY

Iso_123 wrote: »
    I know competition law comes up every year in EU but it seems pretty huge. Do people normally cover it or leave it out and cover all the other topics? I've noticed it only really comes up on its own ie not mixed in with other topics so I was thinking it might be safe to leave out if you have the other topics covered well.. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

I’m not covering it at all. The topic has a huge content to learn. If you cover all the other topics you should be fine. Most examinable judicial review, Direct and Indirect Effect, Member State liability , EU Citizenship, Free Movement of Goods

• Advertisement

i left out competition and mergers in november. i would say you don’t need it and would have plenty if you leave it out. also i read on one exam report that the question is usually badly answered by those who attempt it

I didn’t cover it for November ! I just couldn’t wrap my head around it at all haha

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Coopie

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    Have people received the separate email with the marking breakdown for company yet?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

I didn’t cover it for November ! I just couldn’t wrap my head around it at all haha

I left it out in August and was still in a position to answer 6 / 8. There just seems to be alot of material to cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Iso_123

thanks everyone for the imput it's really helpful! Can I just ask as well what topics did everyone actually cover/are planning to cover for EU? Because I'll most likely leave out competition, I'm not sure how many to cover to be safe. I know its essential to cover JR, direct effect and FMOG but not sure what else?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dropin

thanks everyone for the imput it's really helpful! Can I just ask as well what topics did everyone actually cover/are planning to cover for EU? Because I'll most likely leave out competition, I'm not sure how many to cover to be safe. I know its essential to cover JR, direct effect and FMOG but not sure what else?

I passed the last EU sitting very comfortably with the following:

1. Judicial Review
    2. Direct effect/ MS liability
    3. Free Movement of Goods
    4. Competition/Mergers/State Aid
    5. Preliminary Reference Procedure
    6. Institutions
    7. Sources of EU Law

Notably, I left out Free Movement of Workers/Citizenship as I was tight for time and didn't fancy it. However, I think EU is the only subject that you would get away with covering such relatively little material as the topic frequency is so repetitive year to year.

I sat in November

In addition to that free movement of workers, citizenship, institutions, member state liability and then if time I’d look over infringement proceedings

what are people covering for constitution ?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭WesternC123

what are people covering for constitution ?

So far I have;
    - The AG/President
    - Constitutional Interpretation
    - Sovereignty
    - SOP
    - Equality
    - Trial in Due Course
    - Property

Really unsure of where I'm going from here. Does anyone have any advice on additional topics that I deff need to cover?

• Advertisement

i’ve heard you can’t really leave much out for constitutional as it’s very unpredictable. does anyone have thoughts on this. people who have sat it already did you leave sections out or cover most of it ?
    Regarding tort i’m considering leaving out the question on duty of care and general negligence principle - seems quite complex. Does anyone have thoughts on this or think it’s a good idea to not answer that question ?

Advertisement