Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) No trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

For EU legislation we're allowed use, what one did people find more useful in the exam?

Blackstone’s EU Treaties & Legislation or The Consolidated European Union Treaties and Charter of Fundamental Rights by the Office of Official?

I'm not sure which one to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭nmurphy1441

Any company sample answers around someone is willing to share?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

BBall2015 wrote: »
    For EU legislation we're allowed use, what one did people find more useful in the exam?

Blackstone’s EU Treaties & Legislation or The Consolidated European Union Treaties and Charter of Fundamental Rights by the Office of Official?

I'm not sure which one to buy!

Blackstone I'd say. Better layout in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭L.E.D

Hi everyone,

Attempting property this time around, anyone have any tips etc? I know succession comes up in two questions, is that definitely?

And any other topics that would be good to learn?

Thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭FE1Hopefully1

L.E.D wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Attempting property this time around, anyone have any tips etc? I know succession comes up in two questions, is that definitely?

And any other topics that would be good to learn?

Thanks a million

I don’t know if it’s definite but it’s nearly definite haha - adverse possession finding co-ownership family property

Co ownership didn’t come up in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

Does anyone know now will our rechecks be back before the application deadline at the end of February? And if not can we add extra subjects on to the application later if we apply for the ones that we were gonna be sitting anyways and then just add another subject on if your recheck isn't successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bluerthanu

fe12021 wrote: »
    I had 4 in a row with the old timetable and I'm not convinced it makes a massive difference to how you revise (until much closer to the time ofc), especially since either way they're taking place within a two week period (as opposed to being scattered across a month and therefore dictating which you revise first etc). Sorry, just think this sort of thing is always about luck and it's not really fair to ask for that to be changed since this will always be a problem for some people.

Yeah, I think that's a fair analysis (although these exams are just so long, it's more the stamina stomping effect than the learning).

With just eights exams I've never understood why there isn't one day of no exams separating each sitting. It would still be done by little over two weeks.

Anyway, grateful that they've pushed them out at all. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Sesh0nm0m wrote: »
    Does anyone know now will our rechecks be back before the application deadline at the end of February? And if not can we add extra subjects on to the application later if we apply for the ones that we were gonna be sitting anyways and then just add another subject on if your recheck isn't successful?

It’ll be cutting it tight before the deadline! I’d imagine they’ll do their best. From what I remember on this thread, a few people had to apply to sit an exam or two because they’re rechecks weren’t back in time. If the re check was successful, they were allowed to claim a refund. Although I think you’d be waiting months for a refund. Someone on this might be able to clarify this though...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Sesh0nm0m

It’ll be cutting it tight before the deadline! I’d imagine they’ll do their best. From what I remember on this thread, a few people had to apply to sit an exam or two because they’re rechecks weren’t back in time. If the re check was successful, they were allowed to claim a refund. Although I think you’d be waiting months for a refund. Someone on this might be able to clarify this though...

Can you add them on to your application after the 22nd of February though? Also I don't feel like studying for them again to be honest when I know that at least one of my grades was dead wrong :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭phildub

NewFe1 wrote: »
    I used the email address that they use to email me on all the time.

Send a gdpr request, if you were deemed to be a fraud there had to have been a conversation about it and you have rights to obtain that information. When you make the request specifically mention that this is the information you are seeking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Iconic10

exam dates have been pushed forward - it’s on LS website

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭FE1s2021

Are people paying for their rechecks now or holding off for a while in the hope that they get to see their script first?

Can you add them on to your application after the 22nd of February though? Also I don't feel like studying for them again to be honest when I know that at least one of my grades was dead wrong :)

Honestly! I haven’t a clue!!! I’m in the same situation now as you are so I’m just hoping rechecks will be back before the 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭TCPIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Fe7

My fav part is how they’ve worded it that *we* are incapable and cannot adapt. Yet they’re the ones that are having trouble to adapt, which is why we’re having problems in the first place.

“As you will be aware, the public health environment has deteriorated significantly and unexpectedly over the past weeks. The Society realises that many candidates are experiencing difficulties preparing for the next sitting of the FE-1 while adapting to these very challenging circumstances.”

If they just had a bit of common sense planning things out rather than changing several times afterwards.. I’m sure *we* would have no problems “adapting”..

• Registered Users Posts: 45 examsfe12021

If anyone is in need of Company or EU Legislation PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 BBall2015

No you aren't able to add on subjects after the application process has passed. If you don't think the recheck will definitely come back as a pass and there's a chance you'll need to resit it in March, you have to sign up to sit it and then if you recheck comes back as a pass, the Law society will refund you the amount you paid for signing up to it. I did this process with the August results not being out before the application deadline for the Nov round last year. I ended up passing it from the August round and I got my refund into my account the first week of December. I rang the law society yesterday asking this again and they confirmed this is still the route to take!

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mydogwentroof

What bloody difference is pushing it back 3 weeks going to make??

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

At least it's something. 3 weeks is a long time for studying.

Is there anything to be said for setting up a Training Contract thread?

I feel as if there is little to no support for people who have graduated on how to get one, bar generic advise about what to include on a CV which is all very obvious anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for setting up a Training Contract thread?

I feel as if there is little to no support for people who have graduated on how to get one, bar generic advise about what to include on a CV which is all very obvious anyway.

There appears to have been one set up recently regarding TC's - if you search Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21. I tried to attach the link but it won't let me post it unfortunately

FE1Nov20 wrote: »
    There appears to have been one set up recently regarding TC's - if you search Law Firm Milkrounds 20/21. I tried to attach the link but it won't let me post it unfortunately

Thank you I did not notice this! Not used to boards :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 49 FE1Nov20

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Thank you I did not notice this! Not used to boards :confused:

No worries! I've only just discovered it myself in the last few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

A massive difference tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭LeagleEagle747

malayali wrote: »
    The Final Examination - First Part (FE-1) is the entrance examination to the Law Society of Ireland.

As you will be aware, the public health environment has deteriorated significantly and unexpectedly over the past weeks. The Society realises that many candidates are experiencing difficulties preparing for the next sitting of the FE-1 while adapting to these very challenging circumstances.

If we were to compare them, the public health status isn't the issue, the incompetency and indecision shown by the Law Society is what was causing difficulties and is making everything challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Hi,
    I hope most of you are ok with the pushing forward of the next exams and congrats to those who passed the November exams. I’m sitting criminal (my first exam, not a law graduate and much older than a lot of you!) next March. I’ve got my notes sorted and have most examiners reports. Have a few sample answers but need some more. Starting to work on those from next week. I only have a a couple of hrs max a day. Any advice?! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Lealaw

APower79 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope most of you are ok with the pushing forward of the next exams and congrats to those who passed the November exams. I’m sitting criminal (my first exam, not a law graduate and much older than a lot of you!) next March. I’ve got my notes sorted and have most examiners reports. Have a few sample answers but need some more. Starting to work on those from next week. I only have a a couple of hrs max a day. Any advice?! Thanks!

Hey,

I posted some of the below a week ago but it might be of some use. I did it in the last sitting and passed. I am similar, I was new to law and a few years out of college. I covered it myself and must admit it clicked a few days before the exam but prior to that I felt a bit lost. But here are some tips that might help.

I'd recommend covering as much of the course as possible. Usually the criminal problem questions cover a number of different issues so you mainly just need surface knowledge. I'd cover Murder/ manslaughter in closer detail as this tends to be a more detailed question.

The main issues I covered, but each to their own:
    Murder / manslaughter
    Sexual offences
    Theft / offences against the property
    Non-fatal offences against the person
    Inchoate offences: conspiracy, incitement attempt, joint enterprise (came up in November), perjury and contempt,
    Criminal law defences: provocation (November essay question), intoxication, insanity, automatism, self-defence, duress, necessity and defence of consent
    Practice and procedure: right to silence, presumption of innocence, arrest without warrant, bail, criminal cts.
    Additional: Classification of offences, strict liability, mens rea/ actus reus

The examiner reports are great for Criminal. The examiner covers in detail what he is looking for. They are a good place to start and although the exact same question may not be asked similar scenarios are. Look at March 2020 sitting and the previous year, it is unlikely the main issues that came up in November will reappear in March.

Hope it is of some help. Also the Night Before Notes by City College are great and give you some recent case law which always helps.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭APower79

Why can’t they return a script with comments like in most exams? Then you know where you’ve gone wrong or why you did well. Why just a mark and no explanation. So lazy. This wouldn’t be accepted in many institutions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

APower79 wrote: »
    Why can’t they return a script with comments like in most exams? Then you know where you’ve gone wrong or why you did well. Why just a mark and no explanation. So lazy. This wouldn’t be accepted in many institutions

It's so they can arbitrarily give you whatever grade they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 DavidX90

IgoPAP wrote: »
    It's so they can arbitrarily give you whatever grade they like.

Advertisement