Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yep, that's my exact tale with it. For what it's worth, it's definitely in the 'properly done with care and attention' camp of the Minis, I'm chuffed with it, and would have been had I bought it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Here's something that's been 21 years in the making, fairly chuffed.

I bought a cart only copy of Chrono Trigger back in 2003, one of the first games I bought on ebay, imported from the US. Was one of those games I'd always heard was great but never played.

In 2017, a Chrono Trigger booklet came up for sale in our sales forum here, nabbed it and have had it sitting stored away for 7 years in the packaging it was delivered in.

A couple of weeks ago, someone listed a copy of Chrono Trigger for sale on Arcade Otaku. Interestingly enough, he also noted he was willing to part it out and the box with the insert would be 50 euro. Quite a good price for what's usually an expensive bit of Nintendo cardboard so I went for it.

Behold! My booklet and cart now have a home.

Still missing the maps and the players guide so it's not 100% as of yet, but definitely feels like a complete game package now. Perhaps I'll nab the last few missing pieces over the next decade before I turn 50 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

My brother in law is having a clear out and came across his childhood N64 and gave it along with Goldeneye, Smash and Rainbow Six.

Two controllers, both WRECKED and a Rumble Pak!

I told him he should sell 'em but he wasn't bothered. Nice to own another official 220V PSU, I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

After only just mentioning it the other day, an post pulled a christmas miracle and actually delivered something!

Starting with a ki2 pcb, I had already done a set of the eproms but I was waiting on a ki image. Straight off the bat working.

I remember seeing some interview way back from Rare and they explained that they wanted the loudest arcade game to stand out on the floor and when you turn it on in a house you can believe it. Deafen you!

Had one problem with an eprom, it just wasn't burning correctly so I'm expecting some sound problem on one of the stages. Or might get lucky and it doesn't mean anything.

Coming home in 1995, finally arrived 2024.

Master of the Universe

Bloody nice! Serious bit of kit that PCB.

I finally managed to sit down and have a play about with this, sure is some upgrade from the V1.0 board.

Currently playing Dead of the Brain.

My poor PCE has seen better days. We had some building work done recently and dust got absolutely everywhere.

Also check out this ridiculous tower of power. Only way I can fit them into this unit at the moment.

Saturn has an ODE so it kiiiiinda works!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CD Audio here we come!

Interesting to see it only actually uses the pins on each end of the extension connector.

And installed. Doesn't look too bad, nice that the colours are somewhat in keeping with the console itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Very tidy little console! I actually regret not getting the mini one a few years ago.

Master of the Universe

They're a lovely design aren't they? Very very small units. Quite impressive given the size of some of it's contemporary consoles.

Original Core Grafx units can be had for not too much on ebay, I think you'd get one for about 130 quid, potentially cheaper than the mini unit.

I suppose it does get pricey though when you start adding in things like Turbo Everdrives and RGB adapters etc.

The CD audio really is something else. I'm actually quite surprised at the quality of it. Takes Rondo of Blood up to the next level.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it's one of the only mini consoles that is almost the same size as the console proper!

But it is a lovely machine, and AliExpress have clone overdrives for it for tiny money, as well as RGB out adaptors, if you're on a budget.

In many ways it occupies the same niche as a NeoGeo AES, but more affordable

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I've gotten a Sega Virtua Stick for my Saturn from Harrower, from Adverts.

It was not listed as he informed me it wasn't working, perhaps a project, and it only cost me a tenner postage.

Of course, when it landed I tested it and it didn't work

But, the controller plug was filthy, so a quick clean it works just fine!

Woo Hoo!

Layer Section plays like a whole new game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

HSS-0130 myself and a load of other types of Saturn wheels, sticks and controllers (also from Harrower who I always find great to deal with)..

I hear the Virtua Stick is a decent step up on the HSS-0130 (which feels pretty great to me)… have you tried both by any chance ?

No, no I haven't.

I would have expected them to have the same internals, but perhaps it's the externals that are the same!

Anyways, I'll be sending him a few bob as I feel bad for having a free rather expensive arcade stick

Actually my mistake… it’s the grey arcade stick I have, I may have gotten the model number mixed up. The one I was told was a decent upgrade was either the white and green sega Virtua stick (there is a Dreamcast version in my games room that looks quite similar)… or maybe it was the Hori version of it that got the rave reviews. Either way I find the official grey sega model to be pretty great so I am wondering just how much better can any other stick really be. Out of all the consoles it is one that really benefits from a good stick.

Master of the Universe

There can be quite a difference between European/US console arcade sticks and Japanese ones. Japanese ones in a lot of cases use real arcade parts. Western ones tend to be pants in comparison. The Japanese Saturn virtua stick (this is the official Saturn stick in Japan released by Sega) uses a Seimitsu stick if I remember correctly, also uses proper arcade buttons.

I've had one for about twenty years now, it's gorgeous.

I've never used the European/US Grey HSS-0104 'virtua stick' but have heard bad things. Looking at it, it looks to be really sub par materials in comparison. The buttons look a lot smaller and don't look like micro switches.

Definitely get one of the above if you can. It's the precursor to the lovely Dreamcast stick.

The new stick in my collection is the one pictured above and it's lovely.

I've also got one or two others, which aren't so good.

I'll have a check for the model numbers

Master of the Universe

That's a pretty mighty stick to get for a tenner!

Yes, yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭bugs

There are two versions of the Saturn Virtua stick. One with a replica Seimitsu LS-56 and one with an Ascii branded stick. The Ascii one is not so good, has a terribly designed actuator that funnels away grease and ends up being really stiff. The buttons are 29mm ALPs on both, they work OK but they're not great, and being 29mm, not drop in swappable for standard 30mm buttons.

I modified one for someone on adverts a year or so ago, new sanwa buttons and reconditioned the stick, was pretty decent.

.. finally.

i gave up collecting for 15 years … but always lurked on this forum and lost count of how many times I heard about how great this game was (usually retr0gamer if memory serves) !

No sooner did it arrive through the door than I heard about a switch remaster of 1 and 2… still though, nice to have the original in the collection.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nice pick up. Damn fine game as well and not as insanely long as most other RPGs.

The pal version is also the better version to get. 50 Hz sucks but the translation is revised front the awful rush job of the US release which also just plain cut the vocal tracks, the PAL version leaves them in in Japanese. In the US version a woman sings a song for you and it's literally 2 minutes watching her mouth move and wondering if the game has hung.

• Advertisement

A rare case of the PAL version being better then. Since I have never played it I have a dilemma now.. play the PS1 version, or the remaster on the Switch. I dont really mind the remastered elements, although as always with the switch the ability to play whilst on the toilet is often a deal clincher for rpgs. If its short... PS1 version I am thinking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The ps1 version of suikoden 1 is a very short game. No filler at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Little adverts pick-up

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2xDuwPo6wb/?igsh=cmUwd2t6cmlrNXZo

I am at the stage in my collection where I am trawling hidden gems videos to see what I missed when collecting. This one came today and seems to pop up on a fair few snes lists. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Finally got around to testing this out. Goldeneye's saves are intact. No surprise as even if it wasn't saved to some non volatile memory, it's not THAT old, right? My BIL had opened all but the last stage on OO Agent and a bunch of cheats. I'm pretty sure I got a load of them back in the day too, but that cart is long gone.

Was surprised to find the RAM expansion too. I will clean up the controllers and test the rumble pak later!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I like Dragon Quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Picked up a fixer'upper from @The Last Bandit at the start of January, a Philips Videopac G7000, also called the Magnavox Odyssey 2 in the US. Came with 3 carts. The coax cable was cut and bits knocking around inside it :) removed the video modulator, cleaned it up and did a composite mod - hooked up power with no idea if it would work but it sprang into pixel life!

Review - the joysticks (only one there in the photo) is hardwired and dare i say it, even worse than the basic Atari 2600 type joystick :D 3 games, one is a breakout type clone and its impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I must look up that composite mod. This is the first console/computer we had in the house as a kid. I was too young for it, but my older brother got it one xmas.

Master of the Universe

The Videopac was rebranded the Magnavox Odyssey 2 in the US? I did not know that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Seemingly Philips bought Magnavox in the mid 70s and they either just used a system which Magnavox was already developing and rebranded it outside the US or popped out a console they had already developed and released under their newly bought US brand name.

Funky either way, the wikipedia page is fairly interesting read for a console/computer (unsure what to call it with the keyboard) I never really knew anything about until recently.

Its a super simple mod if you pickup an Atari2600 modboard, same if you have the components to spare and a veroboard I'm sure...so simple even I got it to work :D

Advertisement