Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Bit of a festive pickup, Father Christmas for the Saturn. Comes with the usual spine/manual etc, but also a hand towel 🙂

Only took 7 days from Japan to Ireland, not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How did something as quintessentially British as a Raymond Briggs cartoon get a Japanese Saturn only release? Bizarre stuff!

Yeah, its a curiosity. Not too much Saturn stuff popping up these days that interests me, but this one caught my eye.

My long ordered SVI-CAS arrived today from Australia. Best described as an awesome digital tape deck for many retro systems.

It runs on a 9V PSU, but I'm going to see about making a battery pack for.

Touch Screen is decent for what it is.

But this sticky-outy SD card wont do at all.

A short Micro-SD to SD adapter normally used on Mac laptops will do the trick(after sanding down the lip a little).

That's better, and the SD wont need to come out very often anyway.

Cables ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Doge

Haven't seen those short micro SD to SD adapters before. Very handy for sticky outty SD slots.

They can come in handy from time to time. The SD slot on the SVI-CAS is a tiny bit deeper than the Mac slots they are made for. So sanding the plastic lip slightly allows it to be installed completely hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Handy also for the original Krizz Genesis/SNES flash carts to keep the SD cards flush

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Kind of "new get".

Found them in the parent attic. Manuals and all. Theme Park has all my cheat codes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I miss the days of cheat codes. I used to get my mam to print off pages from Cheat Code Central back in the day and would always read cheat books that came with magazines from A-Z.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Absolutely raging. This was coming from Switzerland, made it all the way to D12 - Taric code was missing so it's been sent back.

Talk about the lest environmentally friendly policy you can imagine, Anpost are a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Ouch.. that's a nightmare. Hopefully its doesn't get lost in the system now..

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Same here. Three different things sent back to UK in a row because of missing information. Drive you mad. Woman read out some long code that I should get senders to put on, now I know she was saying taric instead of tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Aw stop, I’d a nightmare with that last September, they wouldn’t accept the taric code that was displayed, even though as far as I could tell it was correct, they sent the item back to the UK twice, the seller was not impressed, I eventually got them to send it to my friend up the north instead, and he accidentally put ROI on the end of the NI address/postcode, this time Anpost got it, accepted the same taric code, had my phone number and invoiced me for the duty, I called them to explain duty shouldn’t be paid but was like talking to a wall, computer says no, so I paid the duty and then they re-routed my parcel up the north so I shouldn’t have had to pay it anyway as it was UK to NI🤣 took about 2 months to get my parcel.

i argued and spent countless hours trying to get my vat/duty back but even though they admitted they were wrong I never got the refund, they just kept saying it would show up in my account because there was a backlog of 3 months due to Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Anything coming from UK I get sent to Address Pal It's just not worth the trouble. At least with address pal they will add the code and you will always get the item (unless the worker resealing the box makes an arse of it and you receive an empty box. which has also happened!)

Same, I use Address Pal for UK bits once I make sure I can't get it from the EU for cheaper considering the import'ness costs from the UK.

For expensive items, I've used Oohpod.com to deliver to NI and then popped up to get it. Again, for expensive/larger items - has anyone used PostalPickup.co.uk? An NI address and they can seemily foward parcels up to 30kg to any address in Ireland for £10

Master of the Universe

Board made it back to Switzerland, the guy sending it to me had a chat with the people in his local post office and they are definitely under the impression that TARIC codes are required on commercial goods only. Not sales such as this.

Crazy that Irish customs have taken such a contrary stance.

Either way, will be going back in the post with the proper codes on it today, fingers crossed I can actually have the honour of paying import duties on it this time and finally get it into a cabinet...!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

That’s the thing with Irish customs, even if you’ve everything correct they might not agree with it and you’ve to start again🫣

Think about it - they have to enfoce the EU changes so either they use TARIC codes or trust a random description on a parcel and attempt to match that to a TARIC code for non-EU parcels. AnPost want the easy option/cheaper option for them and the TARIC codes are a global standard they can use.

Not saying it isn't a PITA, just such is life. Whenever buying outside the EU, if I think I'm buying from a mom/pop seller I will find and pop in the TARIC code in the order comment with an ask for them to ensure its noted on the shipping label/documents.

Master of the Universe

Oh I completely understand and have no problem with customs enforcing what they're meant to be enforcing.

What's annoying me is two things:

If Irish customs have decided this is the way they have to go, why doesn't an online system exist to assign a TARIC code before the item is needlessly sent back? They have no issue reaching out to inform you that you owe import duties before sending an item back, I don't see why it would be impossible to have an online form you could select the appropriate missing TARIC code to aid in processing.

Even more alarmingly, why is there ambiguity between countries on the subject of TARIC codes and when they are needed and not needed? some think that TARIC codes are needed for non commercial items, some think they are not. This is a huge failure in communication.

A situation where an item is sent back to it's original sender simply because it's missing a code (yet has everything else on the package to achieve delivery, including customs declarations) is not a situation which should exist in this day and age and is the postal system failing at the one thing it is there to do.

And that's not even mentioning the environmental impact of all these packages arriving, being refused entry, being sent back to sender and then being sent here again. Double the amount of freight journeys to get an item where it needs to go. Maybe I should get oul Greta on the case 😁

• Advertisement

I hear yea - they kinda do have a 'Commodity Code Finder', but is a pain to use. Completely agree on some non-EU postal services not knowing the ask from AnPost but I think I remember Japan Post stopped sending items to Ireland when this change came in for the very reason you mentioned with bounced parcels etc. and I think now have a solid requirement for any postal packages to here to have TARIC or equivalent codes in future.

Common piece of our retro gaming habbit orders coming via AnPost is us, so it's in our interest to ensure we make it clear in our orders to include whatever TARIC code needed on the shipping info to hopefully (stress hopefully as I've still had issues) with items being bounced - I think Greta have enough battles on her plate at the mo :D

Again, complete PITA - AliExpress are now part of that 'pay before they ship' so to avoid this fun which is both great and not great as the prices are auto uplifted when you select Ireland as your location.

Master of the Universe

Thanks for that link, that's pretty handy! - might start putting a note on packages I order from outside the EU with the code included just to be safe. Will certainly be mentioning it to anyone from outside the EU that I buy something from on a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

It definitely needs a change as it's not ideal having parcels to back and forth. It's bad for the seller, buyer and the environment. Plus extra work for all involved.

If a label has a basic description like book, video game etc then AnPost or whoever need to apply the tariff themselves. They know it better than we do. I work in admin at a warehouse, obviously it's a different story when it's specific tariffs for chemicals as we sent a tariff list to our clearance agent but AnPost should be able to handle domestic parcels.

Ideally there would be a portal for us to supply invoices, descriptions and the correct tariff as a method to prevent it having to go back, within reason so they're not backed up with parcels. Of course that would be open to being abused. Someone shipping a cheap iPhone from the US would say it's warranty to get around customs...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

It's more the automatic and wasteful sending back of packages that bothers me above all else. Not a single chance to correct an error by the sender OR the receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

I do that with all non EU packages. It's a blunt instrument of a tool, but if it keeps them happy then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Got shipping notice for my Spectrum Next ... its been so long I've no interest in it whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I much do they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Doge

A Facebook friend received his recently after backing them in 2020. Seems to be enjoying reliving his youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Bit of a Kickstarter/Indiegogo week just gone.....

My own Spectrum Next dropped in the door earlier this morning, but not sure I've the time just now to get into it, so might have to wait till after Xmas. Been away from the Spectrum for a year or so good opportunity to pick it back up.

Plus finally going to get replacement key caps/case for an A1200 next week. A project that was backed back in April 2019. Hadn't forgot about but hadn't really chased it up until about 6 months ago when I found out that some people had received the particular package that I had selected. Lad behind it said they only had limited help to get orders out which must be true because it seems to have taken over 6 months to get it from the UK to here !

Post edited by McDermotX on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Think they were about 300-325 sterling depending on the model back in 2020. Originally planned for a year after that, so it's been a while

Advertisement