Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jet Get Radio!!!! post here when you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Inviere

How true that is. I've a bigger hardware collection now than I probably ever had....the vast majority is rebought after selling 🙄

It was game collecting that burned me out, causing me to sell up. Never going down that road again. Original hardware, a select few games for each system, and flash carts/ode's all the way then.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭dav09

I just wonder which is the one which'll finally break me haha, they are monsters to move around alone, this one close to half a tonne for the car, wheels completely banjaxed (and as a result so am I today). It came from Ireland, was there one in Tallaght back in the day at the Atari Expo? Two cars got sold abroad a few years back, they parted one car that was apparently completely goosed but saved all the working parts out of it so I have a lot of spares, fully working. Has its screen unit (although will replace rear projection with LCD as it's goosed) along with a load of accessories to go around it.

Another cool one I got recently was a Star Wars Pod Racer twin, I ended up working on this years ago two previous owners ago but saved it just in time before heading to the scrapyard. It was a fun game, one side works, although getting side 2 PCB repaired might be hassle, I'll try recap it hopefully it's none of the custom chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,615 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah you're definitely better off, I think a lot of us had these visions of having a room almost like a rental shop with shelves and shelves of games on display but it's just not really feasible with the size of average houses in this country. Plus with the price of games these days I don't know how anyone collects anymore.

I can't even begin to imagine how you move something like that around by yourself!

Delighted to hear it came from Ireland. Was thinking it would be some job to have something that big imported. Only time I ever saw one of them was in Dr Quirkeys on O'Connell street.

I'm going to guess it was that unit, there can't have been many here, Quirkeys got most of the SDLX stuff very little elsewhere. They were 80k brand new apparently (for the full 4 player system), it has like 60k on the cash box counter so by 4 it would be 240k. (and believe me it was probably less, as usually some cars get played more than others). Once you take out VAT of 23% (55k), maintenance, etc, a lot of these really mustn't have made much profit especially over it's lifecycle, more of a show piece than anything. The Cycraft is well over double the weight at 1.1 tonnes for the base unit but at least I can (somewhat) move that on a pallet truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I love the £50 off.......software haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭geotrig

don't do the math …nothing ever seems viable when I ever do the math on it :) !!! but all I know is these places creamed it in bitd !

There it is, all nice and cib. As the world would have it, I just grabbed another one. Am I allowed to say Twin Towers in relation to two towers of power??

Master of the Universe

With those kinds of figures, I can understand why certain games back in the day were looking for 2 euro a pop.

I suppose the problem then is less people play it. I do remember just not going near games in arcades that were more expensive as you just felt like you weren't really getting value for money.

How do you power these massive machines with hydraulics and the likes? Does it all go through one big PSU or are there are few power sources?

Master of the Universe

Weird thing to say but I love the weight of 32X cartridges, there's something really satisfying to them. They feel more like Megadrive beta carts with heavier eeprom chips on them or something.

I was the same, maybe give something like that a go as a kid as a once off but you might have a tenner going in to the arcade once every few weeks, you want to maximize the tenner you have and get the most enjoyment out of it (or at least that was the initial plan, and then proceeding to lose half of it on the push penneys because you're certain you'll get more back until I eventually figured out the mechanism side chutes, as with that royal ascot horse racing, a simpler time).

As for the hydraulics/motion, I had that same question yesterday for it I was interested in seeing how it worked, it's similar to the Cycraft but less complicated. From a quick glance on the Outrun 2 Super Deluxe you have 2 huge electric actuators that move up and down for the motion on the back of the car. So you'd have a PSU for the Lindbergh, PSU for the Screen and then another power management unit for the motor controllers for the actuators by the looks of it that control direction/power in them, and then there's also some sort of limit switches on them that feed back value into the machines.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Wow, that's a whole lotta power! Check out the specs of the 4 player setup:

Width - 825.00 cm

Height - 261.00 cm

Power - 5000 w

Depth - 320.00 cm

Minimum Door Width - cm

Weight - 3,850.00 kg

So you're talking 1,250 Watts per machine.

It's an absolute beast of a thing. Each machine actually has a rating it of about 730 watts on the side, there are extra bits missing from the 4 player setup but id say more like 3/4k watts, maybe its peak of 5k, still crazy, thankfully still single phase.

A peak inside at some of the electronics, there's also stepdowns, and a yellow Lindbergh + PSU and others on the car itself by the actuators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭BGOllie

hahah you madman. I thought you were scaling down :D
    great cab though , but those things are huuuge

Things change in a week 😂 I am technically but it ain't going too well as you can see, once in a lifetime finding one of them here. I spent about 5 hrs just trying to get it to fit into the container lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

Insane. Dave you have a problem!!

how sad am I that I recognise every part in that pic. IO board top left, serial converter top mid, audio board top right, 2x 12v psu below that then 2x serial motor drive boards. All the same parts are in after burner climax except yours has 2x motor boards instead of one. Don't see the relay board for the motor brake there either.

If you get a "motor comminication error" I bet it's just the serial converter pcb :)

Loads of cheap lindbergh deluxe cab parts for spares on yatons site if you need them.

IMHO that is the be the best outrun version of all time. Never gets old.

A problem would be a definite understatement! Haha unfortunately, I sorta promised myself no more Lindbergh stuff due to past history but couldn't pass this up. One car out of 4 was parted as wasn't in the best shape so I got almost all the parts off of it, but just checked Yanton tempted to pick up the few bits I dont have spares of. I believe the reason there are 2 motor boards is due to it having two actuators on the back. Same for me, plus they're silly rare which is right up my street, next to actually do something with all of these big cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭Steve X2

My Saturn SAROO cart arrived today from AliExpress. The packaging was better than expected as normally these things arrive in a plain bag/box wrapped in bubble wrap. It came with some ok looking stickers for the front and back of the cart, but I might just leave it naked for now.

I dropped my pre-prepared MicroSD in and updated the firmware to the latest as per the seller. It loaded up to the menu with some custom animation and music the seller had added(easily removed/changed thankfully as they are just a gif and pcm file).

But, no games loading at all! I had my full setup of Saturn Bin and Cue already sorted into sub folders of A, B, C etc, but that's not supported :( As a bit of luck the latest firmware released 2 days ago does support adding up to 12 categories. So a quick job of re-sorting the SD card and config files and all is well. I've a 512GB SanDisk Extreme Pro in there, so it does support the larger/faster cards.

This is the SAROO I got: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006137755476.html

Post edited by Steve X2 on

Master of the Universe

Very cool! that's not a bad looking PCB.

Sweet. Let us know how it goes in daily use. What folder structure does it want if not alphabetical?

• Advertisement

Been running it since I got it earlier and so far no issues. Everything loads super fast as expected and the config file had a load of fixes added to it already for those games that need them. I just had to edit the config file to enable sorting alphabetically rather than the default modified date(sort_mode = 1).

For folder structure I just created categories for 1-Favs, A-C, D-F etc and dropped the game folders in there. Most of what I will play is in the first "1-Favs" category and the rest is there if I want them. I'm glad I didn't have to use just 1 big list of games.

For categories I just added the below to the config file and created the same folders on the SD card.

"

category = "1-Favs"
    category = "1-MultiDisc"
    category = "A-C"
    category = "D-F"
    category = "G-I"
    category = "J-L"
    category = "M-O"
    category = "P-R"
    category = "S-U"
    category = "V-Z"

"

The only thing that's a bit annoying is the LEDs are a bit bright through the translucent shell. I'll probably 3D print a small diffuser to filter them a bit. Or a little capton tape over them will do the same job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 crazy_1201

Saroo looks like a good piece of tech. Need to pick one up for my hard-modded saturn at some point. Recently picked up a crt and it looks amazing.

Steve that's the kk one. They were the ones bricking a few months ago when using official firmware from http://bbs.chinaemu.org/read-htm-tid-129474.html

There are a few different versions and some tweak the original design.

The one I got back in December was from Retro Game Paradise Store on Ali. So far no issues with official firmware.

Here is an article about the kk versions bricking

https://www.segasaturnshiro.com/2023/11/10/saroo-firmware-may-be-bricking-some-cartridges/

Yes, they were using an older design or something back then I think that needed hacked firmware, which has since been revised. No bricking now that I'm aware if you.

I'm on the latest official firmware from github without issues.

Edit:

Seems the last remaining issue with with the KK pcb was R21 on the board, which is now resolved(it should be empty, it wasn't before). I checked my one and it's setup as it should be(unpopulated).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Picked up a NeoGeo Fusion converter, seemingly the ultimate (and cheapish) MVS→AES adaptor. Have notions of getting a modified (nearly all games) 161in1 cart for a MVS setup so it'd be nice to be able to use it on the AES. Works grand with a normal 161in1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

It's the best out one available (when Furrtek makes them). Suffers a little bit from cart death grip but I think they all do.

I printed the compatible shell but hope to update the design such that it takes up the entire AES slot as the current one only protects the PCB.

Master of the Universe

That cart death grip is how I broke my AES. If I had another one Id be inserting the carts into the adapter first and then putting the whole thing into th AES.

Don't plug carts into the adapter while it's already in the AES as you can do quite a bit of damage if you apply too much force.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

There is a new case design linked on Furrtek's site by LECLOCLO - "less prone to wiggling in the console's slot". Looks like it takes up more of the AES slot.

Advertisement