Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

RonnieL wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I bought a second hand 2018 ioniq last week, but the dealer realised before I collected it that it wasn't charging, and sent it to the hyundai dealer to have the actuator replaced. They told him that worst case the part would arrive on Tuesday (aka yesterday) but it didn't and now he's being told it "should" arrive tomorrow. I found the car through the ev bargain thread, and someone on there mentioned a workaround to get charging going if the actuator fails. Would that be an option for me while I'm waiting for the part to arrive?

Thanks!

Worth a try. open the boot, lift up the floor, in the deep well of the sub floor you'll see a little access flap. Open that up and give the cable a yank (don't be timid). Then plug the charge cable in (doesn't need to be connected to power or anything to test it). You'll likely have to do it every time you need to charge. That's how I survived for about 6 weeks while Hyundai Cork didn't have the part... I later heard from a boardsie here that their dealer (Mullingar I think) had the part straight away, yet Cork told me there were none in Ireland, UK or Europe.
    loopymum wrote: »
    Is it easy to change out the 12v battery yourself? Took some readings last night and 12.12 without the car running. Dunt really want to pay main dealer prices.

Very easy. Socket set and 5 minutes of your time and you'll have a new battery in. Think I paid €80 for a new battery... then sold the car a few months later :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭eagerv

Is it easy to change out the 12v battery yourself? Took some readings last night and 12.12 without the car running. Dunt really want to pay main dealer prices.

Yes should be very easy to change out the 12v battery. I think ours will need doing before the winter, the timed charging was a bit erratic in the colder weather..
    This is the one I would probably go for, don't know if the price is the best but they seem a respected make of battery.
    https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/batteries/car-batteries/yuasa-hsb056-silver-12v-car-battery-5-year-guarantee-173975.html

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Couldn't be easier,if you cut a little piece off the battery tray a common or garden 048 battery will fit,2/3 the price and better capacity,get something with a 3 year warranty and just replace for free every 18 months or so,12.1 v is actually v good they go all the way down to 11.7 or so before the battery saver kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

It is easy. Many motor factors will fit it for you if you ask and they are quiet. I think it cost me around 70 euro.

How old is car? Dealer warranty on 12volt is 2 years but I had hassle getting dealer to replace and did it myself. Dealer also did not have size in stock.

I recommend replacing every 2 years as a precaution to prevent you being stranded. Write the date in permanent marker on battery and replace again in 2 years.

The actual voltage 12.12 does not really mean anything. And battery saver warnings are common even with a new battery. Have you had any failures to charge or start the car? If not then I would not worry too much. The battery voltage goes all over the place from 14.4 to 11.9 all the time. The readings depend on if cars computer is asleep, doors open with curtosy light on etc. Car tops it up overnight while charging main battery too. It seems to top it up again while preheating.

Other thing is to keep engine on if sitting in car at Tesco or outside schools or when loading or unloading lots from boot as when car is not asleep it draws a lot from the battery and 10 minutes unloading shopping is enough to tip it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Thanks a mill for the reply. I don't actually have the car (never have), but if the part continues to be delayed I was thinking I could go and collect it, and use the workaround while I'm waiting. I'll see if the part does arrive tomorrow, but good to know they can't be trusted (I'd already started to sense that!).

Well the part arrived, and I got my car yesterday. Thanks for all the replies, especially for the offer to make a video to walk me through the manual process!

I've had a play around with the car, and I'm very impressed.

One question - while the (VW) dealer I bought the car off was trying to troubleshoot the charging issue, he decided to replace the 12 volt battery. Unfortunately, he put in a battery that doesn't actually fit in the housing properly. The original one was left in the boot, so I'm thinking I might swap that back in. Should that be a straightforward job? To be fair to the dealer, he offered to do it, but I don't really want to have to drive all the way there. I'd just be worried that if I disconnect the 12 volt, that I'd need some code or something when I reconnect the old battery. Any thoughts?

Oh, another question - the granny cable is fairly short. Is there any particular type of extension lead I could/should use with it? I vaguely recall reading it can be dangerous using an extension lead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

So there's a coolant leak in the cabin, should have realised this when the windows were fogging up with a mist different to water.

Booked in to main dealer for assessment. But told by autoaircon the dash will have to come out. Any idea if this is going to be under warranty?

AhHaor wrote: »
    So Aircon not blowing cold. Anyways out in autoaircon. 3 o rings perished.

Seems a bit early for 4 year old car.

Well the part arrived, and I got my car yesterday. Thanks for all the replies, especially for the offer to make a video to walk me through the manual process!

I've had a play around with the car, and I'm very impressed.

One question - while the (VW) dealer I bought the car off was trying to troubleshoot the charging issue, he decided to replace the 12 volt battery. Unfortunately, he put in a battery that doesn't actually fit in the housing properly. The original one was left in the boot, so I'm thinking I might swap that back in. Should that be a straightforward job? To be fair to the dealer, he offered to do it, but I don't really want to have to drive all the way there. I'd just be worried that if I disconnect the 12 volt, that I'd need some code or something when I reconnect the old battery. Any thoughts?

Oh, another question - the granny cable is fairly short. Is there any particular type of extension lead I could/should use with it? I vaguely recall reading it can be dangerous using an extension lead?

12V in the Ioniq is trivial. 5 minute job with a socket set. Hopefully they didn't remove (and lose) the base plate bolt which holds the battery down.

The ioniq battery is a smaller sized one alright. IMO i'd be telling them to replace the 12V with a proper sized 12V battery. Would the put the wrong spec oil into an engine, or the wrong spec brake fluid into your brake system?

Granny cable was pretty long I always though. Not extensively long, but long enough. If you need to use an extension lead, get a 13A rated on, and if it's a coiled one, unravel is entirely (2kW going through a cable over a long period of time generates a lot of heat, and if the cable is coiled that heat has nowhere to dissipate to, so it'll end up melting the cable... then fire). Ideally use a good socket too, without any other load plugged into it. If in doubt, reduce the AC charging amperage in the ioniq charging menu. It's only 28kWh so if you charge it regularly it'll be easy to keep topped up.

Get a home charger though. It only makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

12V in the Ioniq is trivial. 5 minute job with a socket set. Hopefully they didn't remove (and lose) the base plate bolt which holds the battery down.

The ioniq battery is a smaller sized one alright. IMO i'd be telling them to replace the 12V with a proper sized 12V battery. Would the put the wrong spec oil into an engine, or the wrong spec brake fluid into your brake system?

Granny cable was pretty long I always though. Not extensively long, but long enough. If you need to use an extension lead, get a 13A rated on, and if it's a coiled one, unravel is entirely (2kW going through a cable over a long period of time generates a lot of heat, and if the cable is coiled that heat has nowhere to dissipate to, so it'll end up melting the cable... then fire). Ideally use a good socket too, without any other load plugged into it. If in doubt, reduce the AC charging amperage in the ioniq charging menu. It's only 28kWh so if you charge it regularly it'll be easy to keep topped up.

Get a home charger though. It only makes sense.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have a zappi but it's type 1, and tethered. Going to order a replacement cable from Philip in electric autos so I'll be sorted at home. The granny cable will get some use at the in laws though.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

I'm thinking of trading up the 172 28kw ioniq.

It looks like buying the newer ioniq would be madness for the money, but then the like of an id3 is coming in at a much higher price.

I'm still getting excellent range, battery health 100%, car bought and paid for, not an ounce of hassle.

Have others 'moved on'? And if so to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Moreilly

I'm in the same boat myself !, 28kw ioniq 172 and about 77k on the clock, really great and reliable car, rock solid and very efficient. probably will wait to change early 2022 at this stage Had a look at the VW ID's and they are a nice car but nothing really jumping out at me at the moment, took a look at the model 3 as well but it is serious money, not sure if it is worth it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have looked at many 60kWh+ battery vehicles as I regularly do Dublin Donegal 300km+ trips, and the ioniq needs a 20 minute mid trip stop.

I found it hard to justify say 20,000 euro for an increase in range from 160km guaranteed to say 320km guaranteed.

We tend to use the diesel for longer trips and we will always be a 2 car household. I am holding off until prices drop a bit and I think my ioniq won't depreciate much these days. The ID range looks good, Skoda have near equivalents, Hyundai have some new cars on the way, Kia are good etc.

My main criteria would be back seat space for 2 child seats and boot space for regular 300km trips, without stopping. Faster charging (100kW real world) would be nice which seems to be an issue on some cars, and I want second hand with decent warranty and known reliability.

I may review my options in a year or so where there is more choice and value on the used market.

I am moving house to remove my commute completely, so the main reason for going EV, cost savings, will no longer apply.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Bjorn back testing the Ioniq 28kwh again, efficiency comparison with model 3:

Ioniq will be JUST piped at the post is my forecast.........

• Registered Users Posts: 64,925 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was finding this thread to post the above. So it is official. Sort of 😂

Ioniq 28kWh is the most efficient mass produced EV

(We all knew this anyway, right?)

We all have a soft spot for it for sure. I love my new ID.4, but I do miss the understated brilliance of the Ioniq. And you know... scheduled charging that works. Though i've had a few occasions already where the Ioniq wouldn't of cut the mustard, range wise.

We still love ours, no need to change it's definitely a keeper.

The missus is out of action for another month or so after an op (All good), so I have been using it a bit for my regular runs. It's efficient alright, but my ID.3 is not far behind if driven carefully (To be fair the ID.3 driven carefully gives about the same performance as the Ioniq driven normally) Just wish there wasn't so much button pressing and bings and bongs🙂. And our timed charging/heating hasn't always been successful, putting it down to a 12V battery that is nearing the end of its life..

Looked at an ID3 this week, VW dealer offered 12k trade in for the 172 ioniq.

An awful lot of cash. I've managed for 4 years on the ioniq range, I think I'll stick with it.

That's just insulting, this.lad. The cheapest one on DoneDeal is €16k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

Still have my 171. Now with 193000 km on it, and still going strong. Get pretty much the same range on it now as the day I bought it, and though I did half think about upgrading recently, I’ve decided against and am going to hang onto it for another few years.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Advertisement

Worth a good bit more than that selling privately I would have thought, there is still a years full warranty. If the range is ok for you, you are wise to hold on to it. Depreciation should be low from now on.

I was offered 13 for mine in March. Sold privately for 15. I was surprised the bargain the buyer got. Covid and lockdown didn't help me though.

A VW was always an expensive car, I jokingly asked did it still come with a tape deck as standard ala the golf I bought in the early 00's

Anyway, as a two ioniq household, we remain indoctrinated...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

What sort of range are people getting on their 2017 ioniqs?

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭raddo

Showing 200km on my GOM. 2017 Ioniq

Depends on so many things, but in this weather between 200 and 220 possible, even at faster speeds. GOM often says more. It's where the Ioniq really does well, you don't really need to change your driving style. And with the heat pump winter efficiency is not much less, perhaps 180km.

TeslaBjorn did a 1000km trip in one overnight in 11h55minutes using every trick known to him including removing the parcel shelf to cool the running gear. 20 minutes less than his last attempt. He hoped for a better result

Ioniq 28 kWh 1000 km challenge part 2 - YouTube

This means in an EV like the Ioniq 28kWh, you are still a bit limited by charging if you do long trips. So if you do a 1000km trip every week, you are probably better off in an EV with more range. Even if the charging infrastructure is near perfect.

That said, for the overwhelming majority of people in this small country (myself included), it would be perfectly adequate if you don't mind the occasional extra / longer stop for charging (and you could rely on a good fast charging network - this certainly is not the case in Ireland, yet). And we are talking about the EV with the smallest battery in the market when it was last sold!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

He's doing another 1000km challenge with that Ioniq now after noticing it was charging faster than the last one he tried it with.

Edit: just saw someone already posted it.

Advertisement