Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

Update: Temp fix applied. Will be covered by warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Hi all hope it's okay to ask here but looking to get a new car.
    Ever since I started driving iv had absolute scraps of ****e for cars so I finally want to get a decent one, as our current one is on its last legs.

I was looking at the Ioniq and was wondering if people would recommend them now or look at something else? Not much of a car person just know I want to move towards electric and something more modern.
    Budget wise I would probably be doing finance through a dealer or something, in an ideal world I would buy a Tesla but a bit too out of my price range currently.
    Is there big differences between the new Ioniqs and the older ones?
    Appreciate any advice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭zg3409

AndyOHart wrote: »
    Hi all hope it's okay to ask here but looking to get a new car.
    Ever since I started driving iv had absolute scraps of ****e for cars so I finally want to get a decent one, as our current one is on its last legs.

I was looking at the Ioniq and was wondering if people would recommend them now or look at something else? Not much of a car person just know I want to move towards electric and something more modern.
    Budget wise I would probably be doing finance through a dealer or something, in an ideal world I would buy a Tesla but a bit too out of my price range currently.
    Is there big differences between the new Ioniqs and the older ones?
    Appreciate any advice

What is your daily round trip commute in km? Are you a 2 car household? What is your typical long distance weekend trip in km round trip? Do you own your own house and can you fit a charger in the driveway to home charge every night?

The 28kWh ioniq is ideal for someone with 100km to 150km daily. The 38kWh is ideal for someone with 150-200km daily commute. The fuels savings coukd be 2000 per year with 1/2 price tolls.

Once you go on a trip beyond 160km round trip (80km one way) you need to public charge, and many public chargers are broken, busy or blocked. Ideally you should avoid those trips by using a petrol or diesel car. If you can live with waiting or queueing at chargers mid trip (typically 25 minute top up) + waiting.

If your daily commute is shorter you won't get the fuel savings, longer it won't be practical without work charging in addition to home. The standard specifications is high, and reliability and warranty are good. The 28kWh often has better range than equivalent 30kWh or even 40kWh leaf. I suggest looking at the public chargers, download plugshare app, filter by CCS and see can you live with a stop mid long trip.

zg3409 wrote: »
    What is your daily round trip commute in km? Are you a 2 car household? What is your typical long distance weekend trip in km round trip? Do you own your own house and can you fit a charger in the driveway to home charge every night?

The 28kWh ioniq is ideal for someone with 100km to 150km daily. The 38kWh is ideal for someone with 150-200km daily commute. The fuels savings coukd be 2000 per year with 1/2 price tolls.

Once you go on a trip beyond 160km round trip (80km one way) you need to public charge, and many public chargers are broken, busy or blocked. Ideally you should avoid those trips by using a petrol or diesel car. If you can live with waiting or queueing at chargers mid trip (typically 25 minute top up) + waiting.

If your daily commute is shorter you won't get the fuel savings, longer it won't be practical without work charging in addition to home. The standard specifications is high, and reliability and warranty are good. The 28kWh often has better range than equivalent 30kWh or even 40kWh leaf. I suggest looking at the public chargers, download plugshare app, filter by CCS and see can you live with a stop mid long trip.

Cheers for the nice write up.
    Right now commute is 0, working at home and hoping to continue it. Weekend trips can be anything really, we are fairly active so do like to go on drives or visit places. In an apartment at the moment unfortunately, but there's a charger close to the apartment .

My friend said electric probably wouldn't be worth it for me, I guess I more so want it for the tech and also to have a nice new and modern car, which maybe I can get with a normal petrol or diesel. I just always had my mind set on electric but I guess it's good to check here too

Cheers for the nice write up.
    Right now commute is 0, working at home and hoping to continue it. Weekend trips can be anything really, we are fairly active so do like to go on drives or visit places. In an apartment at the moment unfortunately, but there's a charger close to the apartment .

My friend said electric probably wouldn't be worth it for me, I guess I more so want it for the tech and also to have a nice new and modern car, which maybe I can get with a normal petrol or diesel. I just always had my mind set on electric but I guess it's good to check here too

I would not recommend going full electric if you can't home charge. That local charge point may or may not be working (see reports on plugshare app) and it may be busy or broken when you need it. Some chargers break and are not fixed for years.

Its not worth the hassle. For low no mileage petrol is the way to go. Lots of cars out there with tech, automatic is handy but some people don't like the petrol automatics.

In the future all apartment spaces may get chargers, but at the.moment its very difficult particularly if you don't have an assigned parking space.

• Advertisement

I would not recommend going full electric if you can't home charge. That local charge point may or may not be working (see reports on plugshare app) and it may be busy or broken when you need it. Some chargers break and are not fixed for years.

Its not worth the hassle. For low no mileage petrol is the way to go. Lots of cars out there with tech, automatic is handy but some people don't like the petrol automatics.

In the future all apartment spaces may get chargers, but at the.moment its very difficult particularly if you don't have an assigned parking space.

Makes sense! Thanks! Any decent motors you would recommend it do want something more teched out? Wouldn't have a clue myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Makes sense! Thanks! Any decent motors you would recommend it do want something more teched out? Wouldn't have a clue myself

You could always look at the Ioniq PHEV. I have one in SE Plus trim and it is fully loaded. Great car for short trips with about 55km on the battery and then you have a petrol engine for longer journeys. I have been using the granny charger just fine and not had a need to visit a public charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

I'm the proud owner of an ioniq 28 kW which probably needs servicing as the book isn't filled out.
    Also seems to be developing an actuator problem as seems very glitchy and I've had to pull the charging cable in the boot a couple of times in order to start the charge. And then it works.
    Question is who to take car to. Kearys in Cork are 80 mins drive and Adams in tralee are about 95 mins
    Whats are Adams like?

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

loopymum wrote: »
    I'm the proud owner of an ioniq 28 kW which probably needs servicing as the book isn't filled out.
    Also seems to be developing an actuator problem as seems very glitchy and I've had to pull the charging cable in the boot a couple of times in order to start the charge. And then it works.
    Question is who to take car to. Kearys in Cork are 80 mins drive and Adams in tralee are about 95 mins
    Whats are Adams like?

Kearys were absolutely brutal for me when I needed my charge port actuator replaced. It took months to arrive from Hyundai Ireland, UK, Europe, Korea, and in the mean time another boardies said they had theirs done, and their dealer had 2-3 of the part in stock.

Ring both and ask have they the part in stock. Go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

loopymum wrote:
    I'm the proud owner of an ioniq 28 kW which probably needs servicing as the book isn't filled out. Also seems to be developing an actuator problem as seems very glitchy and I've had to pull the charging cable in the boot a couple of times in order to start the charge. And then it works. Question is who to take car to. Kearys in Cork are 80 mins drive and Adams in tralee are about 95 mins Whats are Adams like?

I got my ioniq serviced by Hyundai Limerick 5 times. There were fast and cheap (let's face it, feck all servicing to be done).
    The actuator fix was done by castlebar hyundai (because that was closest dealer when my cat stopped taking any charge).
    It took them 2 days to get the part from UK, they did it the day they got the part. They were very nice, professional and they was no cost involved.

• Advertisement

I got my ioniq serviced by Hyundai Limerick 5 times. There were fast and cheap (let's face it, feck all servicing to be done).
    The actuator fix was done by castlebar hyundai (because that was closest dealer when my cat stopped taking any charge).
    It took them 2 days to get the part from UK, they did it the day they got the part. They were very nice, professional and they was no cost involved.

Your poor cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

Thanks everyone.

I might try the Limerick dealers. How much have you guys paid for a service?

Is it this one

It's a bit of a trek but might make a day or night of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Thanks everyone.

Is it this one

Yep, that's them.

Thanks everyone.

Is it this one

Which service? 1st? 2nd? Most I paid was €140 and that included brake fluid.

loopymum wrote:

I've has 5 services from them. Most were ~€50, I think I paid ~€70 for one but that included filter changes

I see this Irish crowd selling front trunks or frunks or front boots or fruits for ioniq 28kWh. Anyone used one? Price is a bit cheeky. Free postage 196 Euro

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098/permalink/2274259486043669/?ref=facebook_story_share

I see this Irish crowd selling front trunks or drinks or from boots or fruits for ioniq 28kWh. Anyone used one? Price is a bit cheeky. Free postage 196 Euro

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1398421950294098/permalink/2274259486043669/?ref=facebook_story_share

Never seen any frunks for the Ioniq. Never thought there was much room for one of any significance. https://www.frunk.at/ were the first I seen to do frunks for Kona etc.

€200 doesn't seem unreasonable tbh.

I have one for my soul from frunk.at and its a very good job. However there would appear to be a lot more space under the hood of a soul then there is with an ioniq....

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

Well guys it's time to say farewell to the trusty efficiency champion.......
    I just pulled the trigger on an ID3 a boggy life spec in white.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭remoteboy

adunis wrote: »
    Well guys it's time to say farewell to the trusty efficiency champion.......
    I just pulled the trigger on an ID3 a boggy life spec in white.

Trading in or selling?

• Advertisement

remoteboy wrote: »
    Trading in or selling?

If it's a trade, they'll surely allow him to sell private and pay the trade price as cash. Certainly worth a look for you remoteboy.

Ramped up my stalker game.
    adunis - Ioniq BEV - White - 171L

If it's a trade, they'll surely allow him to sell private and pay the trade price as cash. Certainly worth a look for you remoteboy.

Trading in got 15.5k for it from a dealer...........Unkel would be proud

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Lots of Ioniq owners jumping ship to ID's.
    VW are really mopping up the market so far this year.

Trading in got 15.5k for it from a dealer...........Unkel would be proud

No worries. Too late for a counter offer so?

remoteboy wrote: »
    No worries. Too late for a counter offer so?

I'm afraid so.......the ink is drying metaphorically speaking
    Electric autos has a nice English one.....

I'm afraid so.......the ink is drying metaphorically speaking
    Electric autos has a nice English one.....

No worries. The electric autos one has been snapped up unfortunately. Best of luck with the ID3.

Guess I sold at the wrong time. Dealers were offering between 13-16k (but cost to change was similar) so I ended up selling for a bit under 15k iirc. Absolute bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

So Aircon not blowing cold. Anyways out in autoaircon. 3 o rings perished.

Seems a bit early for 4 year old car.

AhHaor wrote: »
    So Aircon not blowing cold. Anyways out in autoaircon. 3 o rings perished.

Seems a bit early for 4 year old car.

Is this not covered under dealer warranty?

• Advertisement

Is this not covered under dealer warranty?

Always on in auto ?
    Personally I'm firm believer in the philosophy of use it or loose it.
    If it's just the o-rings I'd call it a win.
    Beware they use the correct gas when refilling.
    4 years okay,but could have lasted longer.

Advertisement