Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh - thread 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

zg3409 wrote: »
    Is this not covered under dealer warranty?

I just wanted it fixed and someone here advised it isn't covered. So I just got it done and paid for it.

Not always on in auto, typically 2 or 3 bars at 17.5C. And leave the heat button on. If o-rings perished then under rather than over use would be the issue. Anyways, apart from actuator issue not much else seems to go wrong with them so I'm not getting too annoyed!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

I'm surprised at EV owners who said on this very thread that range didn't matter / savings etc etc, all now upgrading, and handing over even more cash (or future cash) for bigger range (but often less efficient ) models.

Is the ID3 actually a better EV than the Ioniq, KWH for KWH? EUR for EUR? I'm not sure. I'd love to hear the honest opinions of owners of both. Leaving the "new toy" feeling to one side.
    I know there is more to it depending on use cases etc

The more charging infrastructure improves, the better the classic Ioniq will get in the next few years, as it has that sweet spot of efficiency and fast charging.....well at least that's what I'm telling myself! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

turnfan wrote: »
    The more charging infrastructure improves, the better the classic Ioniq will get in the next few years, as it has that sweet spot of efficiency and fast charging.....well at least that's what I'm telling myself! :D

Constantly having the exact same conversation with myself ! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭adunis

I'm surprised at EV owners who said on this very thread that range didn't matter / savings etc etc, all now upgrading, and handing over even more cash (or future cash) for bigger range (but often less efficient ) models.

Is the ID3 actually a better EV than the Ioniq, KWH for KWH? EUR for EUR? I'm not sure. I'd love to hear the honest opinions of owners of both. Leaving the "new toy" feeling to one side.

In my case very simple,and it's not the range thing if you've read my previous posts.

0%
    It's costing me the same out going albeit with a 3year decision attached
    100kW charging
    I got 16k for my Ioniq from a dealer
    160k of warranty vs.65k remaining
    It's substantially faster,quieter,a bit more refined
    I'm buying the boggy version cos I just don't see the value in the uppity models.
    I'm still doing 36k a year.
    I still have a 37year old and a 28 year old car for when I feel nostalgic.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Range was my wife's reason we upgrade. Boot space was my reason we upgrade. We've driven outside of ioniq range twice now (in the id4), and one of those times we ended up stopped at a charger (but didn't charge) by happenstance. Don't get me wrong, the extra range is nice, but the storage cannot be emphasized enough. The "value" of the id4 1st over other similar sized EVs pushed me to get it sooner rather than wait until we couldn't live with the ioniq any longer. The smaller battery could of been an option, but the price difference between it and the 1st meant the 1st was totally worth it.

Nothing but praise for the ioniq 28 though. Smaller family or older family it's a great buy.

• Advertisement

Interesting points, the boot space is always a deciding factor for me with any car, and the Ioniq had the best usable boot out of the options a few years back.
    In some ways there is a relationship to range - i.e. the further away you drive, the more stuff you bring with you!

I guess I want to enjoy a good few years of no car payments and low cost driving before I'd consider any upgrade. As a father of very young kids, you can't travel too far anyways.

E-Niro probably being the next most sensible option.

Interesting points, the boot space is always a deciding factor for me with any car, and the Ioniq had the best usable boot out of the options a few years back.
    In some ways there is a relationship to range - i.e. the further away you drive, the more stuff you bring with you!

I guess I want to enjoy a good few years of no car payments and low cost driving before I'd consider any upgrade. As a father of very young kids, you can't travel too far anyways.

E-Niro probably being the next most sensible option.

That was my plan all along, until I tried the boot. It didn't seem big enough to warrant the change. Maybe when we're buggy free it might be, but the way we seen it we would only have some of the same storage issues as we had with the Ioniq if we went with the eNiro. Nice car, great zip out of it, but glad we went with the ID.4 for the boot - a week up to my parents we filled the ID.4 boot (about 100l more capacity than the eNiro).

That was my plan all along, until I tried the boot. It didn't seem big enough to warrant the change.

That's really good to know, I guess the E-Niro is more comparable to the ID3 then. In any case I'll keep the Ioniq as car number 2. My wife loves EVs now, so the chance of us being a future 2 EV house is growing day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm surprised at EV owners who said on this very thread that range didn't matter / savings etc etc, all now upgrading, and handing over even more cash (or future cash) for bigger range (but often less efficient ) models......

My decision to change was based primarily on economics...
    I spent €28k 3 years ago on the premium SE, and it did a wonderful job.
    However I was concerned that the addition of all these new options on the market would have a very negative impact on ioniq re-sale value in the next year or two.

My trade cost me my ioniq + €14k. In return I got a very well spec'ed Soul demo that had been registered by the dealer 4 days previously and had a mere 9km on the clock. So dependent on what you value a 4 day old car at with no milage, I got what I think is a very good deal.

2nd consideration was convienence that going from highly efficient 28kW to less efficient 64kW still means that the vast majority of our frequent & less frequent trips can now be done without charging, which was not the case in the Ioniq.

Since we go it my wifes 530e has barely left the driveway.

That's really good to know, I guess the E-Niro is more comparable to the ID3 then. In any case I'll keep the Ioniq as car number 2. My wife loves EVs now, so the chance of us being a future 2 EV house is growing day by day.

My wife suggested we keep ours as her car (2 car household), but since her car has been untaxed and sitting idle since August I thought we'd leave the lesser valued car (her existing one) deprecate on the driveway rather than the Ioniq. Don't get me started as to why we "need" 2 cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Quick question Ioniq owners - when you hold down the left Regen paddle, does it bring your car to a complete stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Quick question Ioniq owners - when you hold down the left Regen paddle, does it bring your car to a complete stop?

Remembering back to my Ioniq, I don't think it does that. The e-Niro definitely does though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No I think it just puts it straight into full regen, you still need to use the brake to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Thanks both,

Yeah was just checking. Thought I saw something in the manual that said it was meant to bring the car to a stop, and it does on my wife's eNiro, but good to confirm it doesn't on the Ioniq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

good to confirm it doesn't on the Ioniq

It does on the 38kWh Ioniq, but not on the 28kWh Ioniq.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Does on the Kona too

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

BigAl81 wrote:
    It does on the 38kWh Ioniq, but not on the 28kWh Ioniq.

It doesn't on my Tesla and it's one of the things I really miss after a few years in the Ioniq!

Still find myself pressing for the now non existent paddles 🀣

Has anyone here had a go of getting into the engineering menu? Quite fancy the ability to watch netflix whilst charging.

Am also perplexed that Hyundai don't allow OTA updates / ability to update at home and require us to get a Hyundai Dealer to download a .img file and follow the simple firmware update steps.

Has anyone here had a go of getting into the engineering menu? Quite fancy the ability to watch netflix whilst charging.

Am also perplexed that Hyundai don't allow OTA updates / ability to update at home and require us to get a Hyundai Dealer to download a .img file and follow the simple firmware update steps.

Yep,look up Mr sonic spinner on you tube for the filelinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭loopymum

What's the latest software please? I'm finally able to get the car serviced.
    I mentioned on the phone today about getting the latest updates and they were going on like it was going to be a right pain in the bum.

The actuator was giving gipa few ages ago and they are supposed to be having a look tomorrow but if course it has been working fine for the lady week or so arghh.
    Any advice?

• Advertisement

loopymum wrote: »
    What's the latest software please? I'm finally able to get the car serviced.
    I mentioned on the phone today about getting the latest updates and they were going on like it was going to be a right pain in the bum.

The actuator was giving gipa few ages ago and they are supposed to be having a look tomorrow but if course it has been working fine for the lady week or so arghh.
    Any advice?

If it's regularly not locking the cable in place, and they're being a pain about it, record it happening next time, then tell them there's a "modified charge port actuator" part they should order to replace your faulty one.

Not sure what the latest version is. Ioniqforum.com is a decent resource, you might get an idea from there. Hyundai hate updating the software, I believe they copy it from Korea every time so it takes an age.

Thanks blacknight

loopymum wrote: »
    Thanks blacknight

I'll have a look and see if I have a copy of my last update,I just download them and do it myself,cos Hyundai are universally @#*king useless.
    If I find it I'll share it on Dropbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi folks,

I bought a second hand 2018 ioniq last week, but the dealer realised before I collected it that it wasn't charging, and sent it to the hyundai dealer to have the actuator replaced. They told him that worst case the part would arrive on Tuesday (aka yesterday) but it didn't and now he's being told it "should" arrive tomorrow. I found the car through the ev bargain thread, and someone on there mentioned a workaround to get charging going if the actuator fails. Would that be an option for me while I'm waiting for the part to arrive?

Thanks!

RonnieL wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I bought a second hand 2018 ioniq last week, but the dealer realised before I collected it that it wasn't charging, and sent it to the hyundai dealer to have the actuator replaced. They told him that worst case the part would arrive on Tuesday (aka yesterday) but it didn't and now he's being told it "should" arrive tomorrow. I found the car through the ev bargain thread, and someone on there mentioned a workaround to get charging going if the actuator fails. Would that be an option for me while I'm waiting for the part to arrive?

Thanks!

Try jiggling the charge cable while tugging the emergency release cable in the bootLHS rear under the flap ,chances are you get it to lock and charge,btw did I mention Hyundai are useless,believe the part will turn up when it does.best if luck with it they are an excellent car

Is it easy to change out the 12v battery yourself? Took some readings last night and 12.12 without the car running. Dunt really want to pay main dealer prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That actuator is actually a warranty item AFAIK as its known issue

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭RonnieL

adunis wrote: »
    Try jiggling the charge cable while tugging the emergency release cable in the bootLHS rear under the flap ,chances are you get it to lock and charge,btw did I mention Hyundai are useless,believe the part will turn up when it does.best if luck with it they are an excellent car

Thanks a mill for the reply. I don't actually have the car (never have), but if the part continues to be delayed I was thinking I could go and collect it, and use the workaround while I'm waiting. I'll see if the part does arrive tomorrow, but good to know they can't be trusted (I'd already started to sense that!).

It's very easy to manually activate it. Just a pain

• Advertisement

I can stick up a video of it if you need it or there was a guide in the old thread

Advertisement