Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Silver for Ireland in the women's 4x200m, and a national record to boot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭4Ad

Peterx wrote: »
    Both those 4x100m relay finals were great to watch, loads of drama.

This is great viewing, never looked a relay meet before !!

Great 2nd !!

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭horsebox1977

Leon Reid back on IG running 10.31

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Some great shots of the celebrations. I mean, I know it's a minor competition, but fook it, we'll enjoy the performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Anybody know why Barr didn't run in the final of the mixed 4*400?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

28064212 wrote: »
    Anybody know why Barr didn't run in the final of the mixed 4*400?

The team plan was always that he would only run the heat to try and help qualify the team for the Olympics. Supposedly he will not be available due to his individual 400 hurdles event at the Olympics.
    He was already on a flight home before the final.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Karoline Grovdal broke Beatrice Chepkoch's 5K road world record after running 14:39 in Norway a few days back, however remains to be seen if it'll be ratified. Beth Potter also broke the record a month ago by running 14:41 and that wasn't ratified. It seems a reasonably soft record, I'm surprised nobody's ever even gone sub 14:30 with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Forge83 wrote: »
    The team plan was always that he would only run the heat to try and help qualify the team for the Olympics. Supposedly he will not be available due to his individual 400 hurdles event at the Olympics.
    He was already on a flight home before the final.

It also meant that everybody who flew to Poland ran at least once. Mellon and Becker were the subs for 4x4. He ran the final, she ran the 4x200

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks like Bekele has been added to the Ethopian Marathon team for the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Looks like Bekele has been added to the Ethopian Marathon team for the Olympics.

I might have jumped the gun a little. The backgound is that he was assumed to be out as he didn't run the Ethopian trials this week.

The Ethiopian Olympic Committee since said he will be given a place on the Olympic squad. But... (1) will he be fit and (2) The Ethiopian Athletics Federation ultimately chooses the squad and would mean bumping the guy that came third in their Olympic trials.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

https://youtu.be/YWgu0Tp_TLE

Live tomorrow evening.

OOnegative wrote: »

Live tomorrow evening.

Looking forward to this. Evan Jager's first steeple since 2018! Would like him to be a contender in Tokyo, but I think at 32 it's probably a little too late for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

4.11 for sarah healy. she will take alot off that in the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Ceepo

jamule wrote: »

Also great run from Michael Power West Waterford 13.54 5000m

jamule wrote: »

Where? So I can Google search it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

So Gudaf Tsegay made her 10,000 metres debut yesterday

https://twitter.com/spikesmag/status/1391150863109038082

https://twitter.com/Statman_Jon/status/1391145282864353281

Also places her ahead of Tirunesh Dibaba and Defar. This is surreal, the improvements she's made this year are unbelievable. From running the 1500 indoor WR, beating Gidey over 5k at altitude and now being a force at 10k? I want to believe it's true, I really do, but I'm cynical. Additionally, her agent is Juan Pineda, who also represents Naser and Genzebe Dibaba. Gezahagne is a huge surprise too, last I remember of her was finishing last at London 2017 in the 5k final. Whether it's true or not, it does have exciting implications for Tokyo, can't wait to see what she'll choose to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

So Gudaf Tsegay made her 10,000 metres debut yesterday

https://twitter.com/spikesmag/status/1391150863109038082

https://twitter.com/Statman_Jon/status/1391145282864353281

Also places her ahead of Tirunesh Dibaba and Defar. This is surreal, the improvements she's made this year are unbelievable. From running the 1500 indoor WR, beating Gidey over 5k at altitude and now being a force at 10k? I want to believe it's true, I really do, but I'm cynical. Additionally, her agent is Juan Pineda, who also represents Naser and Genzebe Dibaba. Gezahagne is a huge surprise too, last I remember of her was finishing last at London 2017 in the 5k final. Whether it's true or not, it does have exciting implications for Tokyo, can't wait to see what she'll choose to run.

it's the shoes. We should all get very very annoyed about shoes because it's the biggest problem in the sport now. It has entirely taken over from the previous problem but I forget what that was now.

Are the shoes freely available to everyone or is it only select athletes? Because if it was the former then at least it's reasonably fair game, but obviously previous records will be totally erased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Are the shoes freely available to everyone or is it only select athletes? Because if it was the former then at least it's reasonably fair game, but obviously previous records will be totally erased.

She's an adidas-sponsored athlete and she ran this in Nike spikes - apparently, adidas are okay with their athletes doing so until the adidas spike is out. NB have spikes to rival the Nike shoes, but they're very hard to get hold of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭4Ad

OOnegative wrote: »

Live tomorrow evening.

A reminder, starting now folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

The woman that won the 100m blasted everyone else away.

Probably would have run a second quicker if she trimmed her nails :)

TbL

Great races from Jemma Reekie and Elle Purrier. Maybe a slightly disappointing time for Eilish McColgan in 4:03.89. Was hoping to see the steeplechases but didn't realise they're on so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultrapercy wrote: »
    it's the shoes. We should all get very very annoyed about shoes because it's the biggest problem in the sport now. It has entirely taken over from the previous problem but I forget what that was now.

All companies are releasing their version of the shoes now, field getting level again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

All companies are releasing their version of the shoes now, field getting level again

Very interesting discussion on the "shoes" on Off the Ball on Saturday with Lizzie Lee, Sonia O'Sullivan and John Treacy.

They all said you would be mad not to wear them now when your competitors are but Treacy was very critical of the fact they were allowed in the first place.

They all kind of agreed records should be maintained for pre and post the introduction of the shoes

deisedude wrote: »
    Very interesting discussion on the "shoes" on Off the Ball on Saturday with Lizzie Lee, Sonia O'Sullivan and John Treacy.

They all said you would be mad not to wear them now when your competitors are but Treacy was very critical of the fact they were allowed in the first place.

They all kind of agreed records should be maintained for pre and post the introduction of the shoes

Hmmmm, they kinda would say that, wouldn't they. Are there records kept for pre and post synthetic running tracks? The shoes and spikes do seem to have made a difference, on that most, almost all, will agree but to have separate before and after records. I'm not so sure. They're an advance, not a complete and utter goal-post mover.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

deisedude wrote: »

Shoes are under the spotlight because of the big gains. But running tracks themselves have improved and got faster over the years, from the first 4 min mile to the tracks now!!!

What about the advances in all the testing an athlete can do, VO2 etc. Athletes can now get a precise training setup to suit their needs perfectly.

Should normatecs be banned also?

What about all the tech used for trail runner, to figure out where they are, the advancement in the gear they used. Technology to show the weather forecast.
    40 years ago athletes didn't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Shoes are under the spotlight because of the big gains. But running tracks themselves have improved and got faster over the years, from the first 4 min mile to the tracks now!!!

What about the advances in all the testing an athlete can do, VO2 etc. Athletes can now get a precise training setup to suit their needs perfectly.

What about all the tech used for trail runner, to figure out where they are, the advancement in the gear they used. Technology to show the weather forecast.

can you point me to a few studies that actually show a real benefit of recovery boots such as normatech ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

Itziger wrote: »
    Hmmmm, they kinda would say that, wouldn't they. Are there records kept for pre and post synthetic running tracks? The shoes and spikes do seem to have made a difference, on that most, almost all, will agree but to have separate before and after records. I'm not so sure. They're an advance, not a complete and utter goal-post mover.

I'm not too bothered to be honest, I just thought it was an interesting chat. They only talked about the shoes briefly as that chat was mainly about marathon running and both Sonia and Lizzie said they both use them and love them. It was Treacy who was a bit stronger on it

Here is the link if you want to listen: https://www.otbsports.com/podcasts/the-saturday-panel-on-otb/panel-art-of-marathon-running-sonia-osullivan-john-treacy-lizzie-lee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

Treacy probably against it as he has skin in the game. His marathon record won't last much longer.

Advertisement