Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should present the Late Late Show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Strumms wrote: »
    The only thing would Tiernan want to commit... would it be worth his while, financially? Tubridy before the pandemic from memory was on about 450,000 a year, nuts I know... if Tiernan only did TV, I’d say RtE might try bag him for about 130,000, that’s no radio... maybe 6 hours work a week vs 20 plus that Tubridy would be doing between both now.
    I literally had that thought a few minutes after posting.
    No idea what age Tommy Tiernan is now (I was thinking along the lines of touring), but as you pointed out, it's only roughly 6 hours a work week. That gives him a lot of free time to still do anything else he wants.
    I guess he would get the 'summer' holidays off too, to tour if he wanted. Tubs could interview him on the BBC then :rolleyes: :pac:.

EDIT - 51 years old. So only a few older than Tubs give or take.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,892 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Suckit wrote: »
    I literally had that thought a few minutes after posting.
    No idea what age Tommy Tiernan is now (I was thinking along the lines of touring), but as you pointed out, it's only roughly 6 hours a work week. That gives him a lot of free time to still do anything else he wants.
    I guess he would get the 'summer' holidays off too, to tour if he wanted. Tubs could interview him on the BBC then :rolleyes: :pac:.

EDIT - 51 years old. So only a few older than Tubs give or take.

I’d forgotten about that, he could tour his arse off over the summer in theory..

Plus the odd gig, maybe a run Saturday, Sunday, Monday a few times a year keep his hand in if his contract allowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MaryLouMacari

Rory Cowan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Miriam O'Callaghan

No please no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Seriously they need to either lighten the mood or can it completely. The last time I even attempted to watch it was the music special in my friends house when the lockdown was lifted over the Christmas.

This was the perfect opportunity for an uplifting celebration of Irish music. We lasted 5 minutes. It was pure depressing. I was furious with it. Shane mcgowan was on and the poor guy cannot muster the energy to talk and was just awkward and uncomfortable.

Imelda may had a poem that she wrote on a napkin 10 minutes before the show and at that point we switched. It has no redeeming qualities at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Forge83 wrote: »
    I think Anton Savage would be a great left field call for The Late Late Show.
    Intelligent and funny guy, not afraid to push the boundaries of the powers that be.
    Tommy Tiernan is a great presenter in his current format, the late late show format would not suit him.

Hi Mrs Prone.

Bring Sarah Millican over to present it. She would be loved and is able to tone down the filthy humour she is so good at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I quite like Brendan O'Connor... and think he was kinda badly treated by RTE. (He only got back on the radio recently) but would think he's out of favour in RTE.

Sadly with the gender politics that are soo pervasive in RTE, the next LLS presenter will inevitably be a woman. Mirium "seriously" O'Callaghan will get first dibs at it.....if she hasn't retired by then....but realistically Claire Byrne has time on her side and is probably the most likely to succeed Toy man.

I think Tommy Tiernan has surprised many with his chat show and considering his stand-up days are probably behind him now, it would suit him perfectly.... He's the most likely man to get the gig.

I think Kevin McGahren or maybe Dara O'Brian would lighten things up a bit... but are maybe too lightweight

Edit : Anton Savage would be an outside bet too

I quite like Brendan O'Connor... and think he was kinda badly treated by RTE. (He only got back on the radio recently) but would think he's out of favour in RTE.

Sadly with the gender politics that are soo pervasive in RTE, the next LLS presenter will inevitably be a woman. Mirium "seriously" O'Callaghan will get first dibs at it.....if she hasn't retired by then....but realistically Claire Byrne has time on her side and is probably the most likely to succeed Toy man.

I think Tommy Tiernan has surprised many with his chat show and considering his stand-up days are probably behind him now, it would suit him perfectly.... He's the most likely man to get the gig.

I think Kevin McGahren or maybe Dara O'Brian would lighten things up a bit... but are maybe too lightweight
    Jesus, not Ballsy.

Bring Sarah Millican over to present it. She would be loved and is able to tone down the filthy humour she is so good at.

Her voice is like nails on a blackboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Matt Damon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

How about good auld Emmo DUNPHY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Strumms wrote: »
    The only thing would Tiernan want to commit... would it be worth his while, financially? Tubridy before the pandemic from memory was on about 450,000 a year, nuts I know... if Tiernan only did TV, I’d say RtE might try bag him for about 130,000, that’s no radio... maybe 6 hours work a week vs 20 plus that Tubridy would be doing between both now.

You seriously think that between lls and radio it's about 20 hours a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Miriam O'Callaghan

Possibly the one presenter in RTE more insufferable than Turbidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't watch the late late show, I don't like and and there are literally 100s of other options on TV.

I'm certainly not a Tubs fan, but if LLS is still popular with a lot of people why change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

AMKC wrote: »
    Graham Norton. Of course then the poor old BBC would be left with a problem on who would do there Friday night show.
    Tommy Tiernan is a good choice too.

It would be nice to see a Woman take the helm. About time a Woman got to do it. One of the Corrs maybe or Imelda May

Think Graham Norton gets paid about six times what Tubridy does. If not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Gerry Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I think Tommy Tiernan deserves a shot based on his current performance. All the presenters in the US are funny men, none of them have Bookworm in charge of the show and expect him to be entertaining. So we should follow suit by giving it to Tommy or another comedian. And in saying comedian, that of course excludes Deirdre O'Kane and Jason Byrne.

But I think RTE's priority is not offending their sponsors, so Tubridy is perfect for that. Painfully politically correct, uncontroversial (well, since the media don't cover his personal life), and predictable - they can be sure of a) little controversy and b) little entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

TT would not want to do the Late Late, anyway. He can't really tour as a standup if he has to be in Donnybrook every Friday.

Secondly, he'd probably want to claw his eyes out if he had to present the LLS format and talk to the kind of people RTE foisted upon him.

Thirdly, even if he got to do his own format, it would get stale. Probably exhausting for TT as well. I seem to remember him saying that the show was both exhilarating and stressful at the same time.

The Late Late Show has to move away from being a depressing current affairs-style show into an entertainment show - think of rival Friday night shows and you get the idea. True, the market is saturated - but who wants a weekly diet of Friday night depression each week?

The very thought of Claire Byrne or Seriously O'Callaghan taking the role means that it still becomes the Front Line of Friday night - Pat Kenny's in a skirt.

Instead, it has to be a comedian - and that should be someone like Tiernan or even O'Briain.

So either shut up shop or become an entertainment show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Gerry Kelly (NI) He's presented similar shows.

Perhaps he could travel by helicopter like in the early 80s?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You'd have to wonder who is still watching. I don't even have TV channels in my house anymore and that wouldn't be unusual these days. Nobody I know watches it as far as I'm aware. What are the viewer numbers like? It is an institution in this country and the fact that it still goes out live is cool and makes it pretty unique but maybe if it's not getting the viewers it's time to cancel it. The days of the traditional late night TV talk show as pioneered by the Americans is basically dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Qwertyminger

Francis Higgins

Both voices are himself as Francis and Shlug. A funny funny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Dublinmuppet

Am surprised Vicky Phelan hasn’t got the gig. She’s on it often enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

MadYaker wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder who is still watching. I don't even have TV channels in my house anymore and that wouldn't be unusual these days. Nobody I know watches it as far as I'm aware. What are the viewer numbers like? It is an institution in this country and the fact that it still goes out live is cool and makes it pretty unique but maybe if it's not getting the viewers it's time to cancel it. The days of the traditional late night TV talk show as pioneered by the Americans is basically dead now.

I gave in a few weeks ago and watched, first time in about 2 years, the constant search for misery in every guest was just too much,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I wouldn't rule out RTÉ getting somebody such as Eoghan McDermort ready for the gig in the next few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I wouldn't rule out RTÉ getting somebody such as Eoghan McDermort ready for the gig in the next few years!

I'm sure that would be a human rights violation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,302 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

The real hay day of the Late Late was interesting guests with stories to tell. It didn`t really matter if they were famous or just ordinary people. That`s possibly why the Tommy Tiernan show works so well.
    The gimmicks the fact Tiernan can`t prepare for the interviews but the real pulling power is interesting imaginative guests which are picked so Tiernan doesn't know much about them and sometimes doesn't even know them at all.
    That thankfully takes the RTE canteen regulars out of the equation.

If the Late Late could go back to that and mix it with topical and thought provoking segments it would appeal a lot more.
    Then again it does draw in 500,000 people every Friday night so what do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Francis Brennan. He has enough energy and a fairly affable disposition. I think he'd bring some much needed levity to a presently tired show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Historically, some of the best hosts came out of comedy-Graham Norton/Johnny Carson, even Letterman.

As such Tommy Tiernan is worth a go, he's proven himself.

But he won't be able to even approach his potential with the toxic production team they have there-they are as complicit as Tubridy, just as Fungus Mac is as guilty as Duffy for what they did to liveline.

Therefore, they need to either ditch the show, or come at it with an entirely new team. Preferably a group that doesn't froth at the crotch at the merest hint of misery, or who haven't the guts to stand up to it.

Advertisement