Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should present the Late Late Show?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,688 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Graham Norton. Of course then the poor old BBC would be left with a problem on who would do there Friday night show.
    Tommy Tiernan is a good choice too.

It would be nice to see a Woman take the helm. About time a Woman got to do it. One of the Corrs maybe or Imelda May

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

What about the lovely Lucy?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Barring illness or accidental death, I can see a wizened old matchstick with snow white hair called Ryan Tubridy getting a big retirement send off on the late late show sometime in the early 2040's.

What a fúcking penance on a nation that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Give Dustin a craic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Gordon Ramsay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Graham Norton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Heres the real answer....no one....or maybe a rotating one...once a month show...

Having pat short et al on 3 or 4 times a year is a joke

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Barring illness or accidental death, I can see a wizened old matchstick with snow white hair called Ryan Tubridy getting a big retirement send off on the late late show sometime in the early 2040's.

What a fúcking penance on a nation that is.

Anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Imelda May[/QUOTE]

In her real "Jayzus, bud" accent or her fake singing voice? the show reaches the whole island, not just Dublin. You'd need translators...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,282 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Heres the real answer....no one

Totally agree, the show is long past its sell-by date and they should just do the decent thing and put it out of its misery.

• Advertisement

Zaph wrote: »
    Totally agree, the show is long past its sell-by date and they should just do the decent thing and poor it out of its misery.

And replace it with what? Another dose of scour like that one with plastic in the big chairs Deidre I think.

Cerveza wrote: »
    And replace it with what? Another dose of scour like that one with plastic in the big chairs Deidre I think.

Anything that doesn't resemble a chat show, which has been RTE's default format for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Zaph wrote: »
    Totally agree, the show is long past its sell-by date and they should just do the decent thing and put it out of its misery.

So true. It's well past the time it was wrapped up. All the big debates were sorted in Gay's time.
    None of the people mentioned would make any difference. It's time is gone, was gone before Tubridy took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,140 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Al Porter

#themotherofallcomebacks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Another Tubs bashing thread. He is there for a good reason. Perhaps the team needs a shake up as it has got a bit maudlin. Tubs brings to the LLS his own brand of happiness and is a little ray of light in these times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bosco

saabsaab wrote: »
    Another Tubs bashing thread. He is there for a good reason. Perhaps the team needs a shake up as it has got a bit maudlin. Tubs brings to the LLS his own brand of happiness and is a little ray of light in these times.

I'm glad to say that as bad as things are these days, it hasn't got so bad for me that I'd consider Tubridy a little ray of light. But you're right, something needs a shake up and regardless of who's hosting they could start by cutting it down to an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Vince McMahon

Hell in a cell and TLC matches every Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Nobody, it should be scrapped, so should RTE, its the world depression championships every week, last week, on comes a depressed man, this week, on comes a man who is more depressed than last weeks depressed man, you would get depressed watching it, presented by a miserable bastard as well

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

There is no point to it. All the topics are rehashed over and over already on several media during the week.
    Too many "stars"on, too often.
    Nothing new. This is not the fault of the LL, it's just that we are saturated with media nowadays, unlike in Gaybo's time.
    I don't know anyone under middle age who would watch it.
    The elderly hanker after the great shows of a bygone era.
    Stop flogging a dead horse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Gerry Kelly (NI) He's presented similar shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Late Late Show is obsolete. There's nothing the show does which isn't done better somewhere else, and the only reason for its continuance is because it's gained a reputation as an Irish institution. In the 80s, for example, there was good reason for its existence - it was a one stop shop for current affairs discussion, for conversations with interesting people (miss the days of the raconteur actor like Oliver Reed) and for giving a platform to new artists. This was back in the days when RTE was only on the air for around half the day, which seems impossibly old-fashioned now, but it meant you had to squeeze more into the allotted time, so a big Friday show made more sense.

Now, leaving aside Tommy Tiernan for serious conversation, Other Voices for music and Prime Time or Claire Byrne for current affairs, there's a wealth of online resources catering to those same demands. There's a media saturation out there which makes the LLS seem utterly inconsequential in terms of what it delivers.

Then, there's Tubbers himself. The man is a complete lightweight physically and mentally. A man who got the job through knowing the right people. A man who probably gets profoundly nervous at the very mention of the words 'off-script'. There's just nothing about him as a host. OK, he's good at the Toy Show. He would have been much better suited to hosting a kids' show year round, or maybe some late night cultural review, but not anything where he has to match wits with proper people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,759 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Any legends of talk shows are nobodies when they start, that is the key to it. Appointing someone well known simply doesn't work.
    Norton was a nobody, Gay Byrne was a nobody, Johnny Carson was a nobody, Larry King was nobody, all plucked from nothing radio or tv shows that had but a few listeners or viewers, but a loyal following.
    You need to go out there and find such talent, old school search, today it's just ,, give it to CLaire Byrne, she has paid her dues

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cerveza wrote: »
    What about the lovely Lucy?

I think that would be a bit, hmmmmm... the whole schtick with her seems to be just to ask loads of rapid fire run of the mill questions and then act extremely wide eyed surprised at whatever answer she is given ?..

“ WHAT ??? You got a BUS to the studio, wowwwWWW... and I guess you put the ticket in your purse in case the inspector gets on, righteightrightright... GODDDDD “

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Tommie Gorman in my opinion would be an ideal replacement!

I wouldn't thik that he would have too many cronies or beholding to too many in RTE?

He wouldn't be afraid to ask the questions either!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Lecture time

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

ted walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Another thing with the Late Late Show is that it's become an intolerable pastiche of American talk shows since Tubridy took over, but still trying to maintain a tenuous link to the LLS of old.

What this means is that they have the LLS cheese-band playing on guests in the tradition of Paul Schaffer on Letterman, and most guests are sticking to vetted questions, and it's all very light and ephemeral. But then, you have the sob story, often on last - a rape victim, an elderly couple who lost a son to suicide. They tell their tragic tale. Ryan sympathises as best he can. Then they sit in silence while the cheese-band plays them out with the inappropriately upbeat "ba-da-da-dah-dah dee-dee-dee-dee da-da-dah!" Like, what the hell is that?! Partridge-esque stuff, when you think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

'Reasons to be cheerful'...

'Cancer' 'Covid deaths'

:rolleyes::mad::(

Advertisement