Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who should present the Late Late Show?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Illium

Comhra wrote: »
    Francis Brennan. He has enough energy and a fairly affable disposition. I think he'd bring some much needed levity to a presently tired show.

I rewatched the late late show episodes with Gay Byrne( it was aired sometime last year) it was a six part series.

Really enjoyed it.

Different era now, I'll accept, but it was just refreshing to watch him let the guests speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Illium wrote: »
    I rewatched the late late show episodes with Gay Byrne( it was aired sometime last year) it was a six part series.

Really enjoyed it.

Different era now, I'll accept, but it was just refreshing to watch him let the guests speak.
    ...Or let them entertain.
    I can honestly say I have never seen a Tubridy guest entertain (unless they came on specifically to perform). Boring and Depressing are the only two words that come to mind, even if he did manage to convince a Hollywood star to appear.
    As I was about to ask a question, I decided to search a bit first.
    From January 2016:
    * There are 676,000 homes in Ireland that have Saorview, 43% of all TV homes. Source: Nielsen Establishment Survey, January 2016.
    I am guessing that number is higher now.
    Why are Virgin Media not actively competing with a show of their own.
    Not worth it? Or no need as Tubridy is doing their work for them?
    Surely they could get somebody for a lot less than Tubs and provide entertainment? Mightn't be as cheap as a 70's, 80's or 90's movie, but it might be a future draw.
    This is a genuine question by the way. I know nothing of how TV works, but am curious as to why somebody competing against the same audience don't appear to be really trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Comhra wrote: »
    Francis Brennan. He has enough energy and a fairly affable disposition. I think he'd bring some much needed levity to a presently tired show.

Gheobhaidh mé tú agus maróidh mé tú

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Let's make it even more miserable and have Paul Mcgrath doing it
    Great player but a misery

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

I'd be ok with Brendan O Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Illium wrote: »

Really enjoyed it.

Except if they were from Sinn Fein then he interrupted them constantly. He should have been finished after what he said about granard child Anne lovett all those years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

As much as I detest the endless misery that Tubridy revels in, the guest list is largely irrelevant to the quality of the show. The odd time that a big name guest wanders through Dublin and makes an appearance, Tubridy takes what should be a opportunity for an interesting conversation and turns it into awkward, unwatchable and boring old bollox.

As many others have said, there are interviewers and chatshow hosts who get the gig on merit and in RTE there are people who get the gig based on connections, time served and persistence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

As much as I detest the endless misery that Tubridy revels in, the guest list is largely irrelevant to the quality of the show. The odd time that a big name guest wanders through Dublin and makes an appearance, Tubridy takes what should be a opportunity for an interesting conversation and turns it into awkward, unwatchable and boring old bollox.

As many others have said, there are interviewers and chatshow hosts who get the gig on merit and in RTE there are people who get the gig based on connections, time served and persistence.
    Gaybo used to get a lot of big names returning to the show again and again.
    After experiencing the Tubs treatment I'd say a lot of guests leave the studio saying 'never again'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gaybo used to get a lot of big names returning to the show again and again.
    After experiencing the Tubs treatment I'd say a lot of guests leave the studio saying 'never again'.

Did he bring on Brendan Grace's ashes at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Did he bring on Brendan Grace's ashes at some stage?
    I try not to watch him but that would have been worthy of Alan Partridge, especially if he knocked the urn over and spilled him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I try not to watch him but that would have been worthy of Alan Partridge, especially if he knocked the urn over and spilled him :D

I didn't see it but according to the Boards thread for a December 2019 episode Tubridy asked for Grace's ashes to be brought from the Green room

• Registered Users Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

UrbanFret wrote: »
    Except if they were from Sinn Fein then he interrupted them constantly. He should have been finished after what he said about granard child Anne lovett all those years ago.

Only I dare say most of the population back then would have backed Gay's opinions and attitudes to the hilt. He was far too valuable to RTE to sack.

For all his faults he was worth 20 Tubridys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Tiernan can hold an interview conversation that can be amusing, intelligent, informative while showing a genuine interest in his guest without needing to look at 'notes' every 60 secs

Everything that Tubburdy can't do, a total fraud vacuous personality stealing a living

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think the shouts for Tommy Tiernan have serious legs.

Let Tubs swan off to the BBC. Seemly they’ve been trying to poach him for years. No lost.

The Late Late under Tubridy has lost so much appeal. There’s no bite or substance to it anymore. The only really engaging interview I remember in the last decade is the one with Catherine Corless and I think that’s maybe more to do with Catherine herself as opposed to any thing Ryan did.

Tiernan has proven himself to be a top class interviewer.

My four year all nephew could be trained to interview like Tubs.

Miserable topic = sad tone try show how empathetic you are.

Irish Celeb = “What’s it like being away from Ireland?” X 1,000,000

Any other Celeb = 8 thousand questions about how Irish they are. Nothing else. I wish I was being hyperbolic.

Don’t even get me started on the gimmicky country shows, Valentines show that the LL have resorted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't mean to sound mean but I think a problem with Tubs is he's out of his depth.
    He was sort of the geeky kid that wiggled his way into RTE and ended up in the position he's in now.
    He has no real interest in celebrities or entrainment and he's more suited to other types of interviews, nature literature, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I don't mean to sound mean but I think a problem with Tubs is he's out of his depth.
    He was sort of the geeky kid that wiggled his way into RTE and ended up in the position he's in now.
    He has no real interest in celebrities or entrainment and he's more suited to other types of interviews, nature literature, etc.

I remember thinking when it all kicked off with Linda Martin and Billy from Aslan on the LL. The panic Tubridy showed.

I have no doubt he was the kid that ran to the teachers to tell them there was a fight in the yard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I can't stand the LLS due to the misery, but I'm not sure Tubridy is the main problem. I don't mind Tubridy from what I see of him as a person, I honestly think he's decent enough, and I don't remember him being that bad when he had the Saturday night programme. But on the Late Late he is boring, his interviews are shallow or just depressing. I would hate to see Tommy Tiernan taking over, as I think it would just drag him down. I don't think he would be suited to driving a new path for the show, as brilliant as he is at interviewing.

I feel only despair when I think of the future of the show. I think Miriam, or Claire Byrne or even Deirdre O'Kane all just spell more doom and gloom.

The only person who springs to mind as having the capability to push for a refreshed format and maybe lighten things up is Patrick Kielty. But maybe the millstone of the LLS drudgery is just too much for anyone to salvage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,106 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think that whoever gets it next will be female.
    Not sure who it will be though - maybe Bibi Baskin :pac:

I think that whoever gets it next will be female.
    Not sure who it will be though - maybe Bibi Baskin :pac:

I'd throw Cynthia Ní Mhurchú into the running,

He was ok on the Radio, when I first listened to him. He managed to talk fairly naturally to his co presenters too. I remember the sports guy Shane O'Donoghue and he used to have pretty normal chats. He is good on the toy show.

Tommy Tiernan was ok when I watched him recently. Needs to lose a bit of the kinda of outsider edge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I've seen Tiernan say he finds doing the show stressful, if he feels like that doing 8 pre-recorded 1 hour shows a year, how would he feel if he had to do 40 live 2 hour shows a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,935 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

No one, Please just end it, Please...

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Tom Dunne off the radio and into the Latelateshow studio...

I've seen Tiernan say he finds doing the show stressful, if he feels like that doing 8 pre-recorded 1 hour shows a year, how would he feel if he had to do 40 live 2 hour shows a year.

That's a good point.
    I always think the show should be shortened.
    Also, Could we have one presenter from September to December and the another from January to May?

Theres no need for it to be live. No American late night chat shows are live anymore, if they ever were. If they need to go live for some segment then patch that into the show at the end or start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Wishing for a season with Noel the supervet as presenter and A-Z list celebreties with their pets as guests...

Advertisement