Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stabbed near IFSC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Panjandrums

53 million was the cost of free legal aid in 2016. I'm sure that the vast majority of this was repeat offenders.

Surely there's a civil servant that can do a cost benefit analysis on building new prisons and keeping offenders in jail for their full sentence, when compared with letting them out early and allowing them to repeat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

53 million was the cost of free legal aid in 2016. I'm sure that the vast majority of this was repeat offenders.

Surely there's a civil servant that can do a cost benefit analysis on building new prisons and keeping offenders in jail for their full sentence, when compared with letting them out early and allowing them to repeat again.

Someone probably has and it's probably cheaper to let them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

gmisk wrote: »
    There really isn't :(

If this 14yo did it...no doubt it will be the broken home...drugs etc defence...probably out before he has to see the inside of an adult prison.
    Depressing.

I also wish I had more faith in the gardai than I do.
    My own experience with a violent assault (I was slashed in the face with a Stanley knife by two hooded thugs while walking home at night, totally unprovoked) was not positive. They barely put in any effort when it came to cameras etc. I also lived literally beside a gardai station at the time

But in fairness the Garda caught the suspect very quick in this case.

And Im sure its not the 14 year olds 1st rodeo either.

The JLO system needs an overhaul.

Sorry to hear about your violent assault, my brother was bottled about 20 yrs ago, the Garda caught the guy in that case and he was convicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

kravmaga wrote: »
    But in fairness the Garda caught the suspect very quick in this case.

And Im sure its not the 14 year olds 1st rodeo either.

The JLO system needs an overhaul.

Sorry to hear about your violent assault, my brother was bottled about 20 yrs ago, the Garda caught the guy in that case and he was convicted.
    True I suppose it helped it was in the middle of town so lots of cameras.

Totally agree with that.

Thanks, healed up pretty well most people don't notice it tbb...I was lucky to a degree missed my eye by a few millimetres.
    Glad to hear they caught the guy who did that to your brother, hope he healed up well, did he get a good sentence?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Cash and O'Brien broke into Ms Sutton's home shortly before 5am and subjected her to a 90-minute ordeal during which she was tied up, beaten and told she would be killed or shot.

The pensioner pleaded for the men to stop but instead she was kicked in the chest and head, dragged by her hair from room to room and tied up with dog leads.

The elderly victim tried to call for help by pressing a panic button attached to her necklace, but her attackers ripped the alarm from her neck.

They also beat her with her own walking stick and held it across her throat.

Both thugs also falsely claimed to be members of the IRA in a further attempt to threaten and intimidate her.

The attack left Ms Sutton with broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken nose, cuts to her face and legs and severe bruising to her body.

The two thugs did not show any mercy as they beat her, even though at one stage she told them: "I'm dying, I'm dying."

4 years for this folks. 4 years. What a lovely little island !

• Advertisement

I also wish I had more faith in the gardai than I do.
    My own experience with a violent assault (I was slashed in the face with a Stanley knife by two hooded thugs while walking home at night, totally unprovoked) was not positive. They barely put in any effort when it came to cameras etc. I also lived literally beside a gardai station at the time

They have arrested someone for this crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,240 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

bubblypop wrote: »
    They have arrested someone for this crime.
    I am aware of that....I was just relaying my own experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

True I suppose it helped it was in the middle of town so lots of cameras.

Totally agree with that.

Thanks, healed up pretty well most people don't notice it tbb...I was lucky to a degree missed my eye by a few millimetres.
    Glad to hear they caught the guy who did that to your brother, hope he healed up well, did he get a good sentence?

Most Guards do a good job with the resources they have available to them, my brother was lucky as the guards did a great investigation. It was at a student house party so there was lots of witnesses.

I cant remember what the sentence was but I know the guy that did it was unable to travel to the USA in later years due to the conviction for assault on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭fantaiscool

Valresnick wrote: »
    Cash and O'Brien broke into Ms Sutton's home shortly before 5am and subjected her to a 90-minute ordeal during which she was tied up, beaten and told she would be killed or shot.

The pensioner pleaded for the men to stop but instead she was kicked in the chest and head, dragged by her hair from room to room and tied up with dog leads.

The elderly victim tried to call for help by pressing a panic button attached to her necklace, but her attackers ripped the alarm from her neck.

They also beat her with her own walking stick and held it across her throat.

Both thugs also falsely claimed to be members of the IRA in a further attempt to threaten and intimidate her.

The attack left Ms Sutton with broken ribs, a punctured lung, a broken nose, cuts to her face and legs and severe bruising to her body.

The two thugs did not show any mercy as they beat her, even though at one stage she told them: "I'm dying, I'm dying."

4 years for this folks. 4 years. What a lovely little island !

Absolutely infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Where does a 14 year old get this kind of violent streak? Probably from horrible parents, I've seen how some of those people around there scream right up into toddlers faces. How do you break this cycle of anger that seems to be in these people for generations?
    He needs to be off the streets, but how are we allowing a 14 year old to develop this way in this day and age?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

A juvenile pond rat has been arrested in connection to the assault,according to the wireless

Well being a juvenile he will literally be given a talking to and asked to apologize and that will be the end of it from his and the States point of view.

And Helen McEntee wants to extend that "punishment" up to everyone under 24.

This country is so broken it's quite unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

Where does a 14 year old get this kind of violent streak? Probably from horrible parents, I've seen how some of those people around there scream right up into toddlers faces. How do you break this cycle of anger that seems to be in these people for generations?
    He needs to be off the streets, but how are we allowing a 14 year old to develop this way in this day and age?

"How are we allowing a 14 year old to develop this way"

No no. No way. The left is NOT going to get away with blaming society for this one. This kid and his family, probably a single mother, were given everything by the State and more. Free house, medical card, education opportunities, even free breakfast in the school in Sheriff Street.

We have to recognize that bad people exist, root them out and punish them ruthlessly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Scumbag people make scumbag parents who make scumbag children. Repeat x 2/3 generations

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

WrenBoy wrote: »
    Playstation 4 or 5 ?

5, obviously. simply the best for our youth. perhaps the odd game of FIFA or fortnite to pass the evenings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,369 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The little runt will just continue to get more convictions while on the dole and add nothing at all to society.

Only positive is most of them die young.

"How are we allowing a 14 year old to develop this way"

No no. No way. The left is NOT going to get away with blaming society for this one. This kid and his family, probably a single mother, were given everything by the State and more. Free house, medical card, education opportunities, even free breakfast in the school in Sheriff Street.

We have to recognize that bad people exist, root them out and punish them ruthlessly.

Yeah but where does the anger and violence come from, and why are there so many like that in these areas? Generations of abuse and drama and addictions I would say. How do you stop that cycle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭1874

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Not a hope of anything been done about knife carrying in this country, if a guard catchs someone with a knife some free legal aid solicitor will say they were using it for cutting carpet or some other yarn.
    If you meet some decent judge their hands are tied as Sinn Fein and the WOKE crowd will be on about their culture or poor upbringing etc...its always someone elses fault

The best that could happen is we might get grants towards stab proof vests we will all be wearing in 5 or ten years time.

Their hands aren't tied, they are accountable/answerable to no one it seems, the Law Society maybe? dont see any Judges being tackled on questionable decisions.

She's in a serious condition i just read. What kind of monster stabs a woman in her 40s? How could you be that desperate for something?

Addiction maybe, other than that, scum

Plus he'll get the warm blanket of anonymity.

If I get caught not paying my TV license and i get a day in court, my name goes in the paper, but a scumbag can stab a woman and remain anonymous.

Should be named and shamed, the shaming wouldnt have much effect on many, but it might discourage some.

No it's more outside the city. Jesus cant think of the name of the place not too far from Saughton that was pretty grim.
    Edit Broomhouse

Been a while, fairly sure there are a few places with blocks of flats that looked fairly grim, quite near the centre, never really got the hang of the layout, and I wasn't getting out to ask, plus other fairly rough areas of 1up/1down, and small blocks of flats all over the place.

It only stops by badgering your local TD. Everyone that is offended by the lenient sentences, ridiculous system etc... Needs to make as much noise as possible and to the right people. The squeaky hinge gets the oil.
    There are loads of well funded NGOs making sure the perpetrator gets well treated, they are cash cows for the free aid legal system. If there isn't as much noise from the side of the victims it will never change.

They will just put you on ignore, peg you as a persistent nutter, you might even get a call from the Gardai

kravmaga wrote: »
    The point is here what has happened to our society that a 14 year old boy brutally attacked a lone woman on her own walking through the IFSC, stabs her with a knife in the neck where major veins/ arteries are located. Robbery being a motive? seems the level of violence used was shocking, was the suspect just randomly out cycling around the IFSC looking for a victim to stab?

A coward really picking on a lone woman walking on her own.

Hope he is charged with attempted murder, no doubt will be remanded to Oberstown when he is in court, will have all the usual background list of the modern feral teenager, broken home, parents on drugs, alcoholics, no one working in the family, suffers from ADHD, sever anxiety, has problems integrating, suffers from anti social behaviour personality.

Hope the victim pulls through.

On a seperate note I hope DCC dont proceed with this €27 million White water rafting facility for Georges Dock,IFSC.

The money should be used to increase security around the IFSC, CCTV, security lighting, security patrols.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/stabbing-dublin-gardai-child-blood-19679443

Its a system of institutionally ignoring these problems and not locking people up at some point, by all means, rehab/courses inside, but 5+ convictions/attendences at court, and still out.
    AND supporting them and their needs indefinitely, rent/elec should be removed from their welfare. Id say their needs should be assessed, food/etc and 75% of their welfare should be in the form of vouchers
    for food, 25% for personal needs.

Even the recent post showing, the guy/s assault of the elderly woman, how was 2 years suspended?? worse how is he out on early release, thats why, the system is at fault. Some people simply need to remain locked away.

Looking at the 53million bill for free legal aid, I think anything for a whitewater park or any sports facility pales in comparison, an olympic type facility would be a great idea, my only issue is the location, its just dumb, been a while since I did any kayaking, but many of Irish waterways water quality is too poor to kayak in, and such a facility would need a support building and parking, cant just plonk tonnes of concrete in the middle of somewhere and say, job done. Needs to be on some green site outside the M50 so its as readily accessible as possible. (Just like the national childrens hospital should have been).

That money should be put into the foundations of a new prison, they would probably try shoehorn it in beside the joy.

The state has facilitated theses scummy parents and generational scum, by attending to their every needs.

^^ more free stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Skipduke

Yeah but where does the anger and violence come from, and why are there so many like that in these areas? Generations of abuse and drama and addictions I would say. How do you stop that cycle?

they feel like they got the short stick in life... the government and guards are only out to get them. why is that? no idea. I suspect most "normal" people have jobs to pass the time. Keeps the mind from wandering. Most people have bills to pay, morgages and hobbies. These kids and their families just breed, drink, smoke, inject, commit crime and shop in canada goose.. LOL.

sounds like they're the lucky ones to some extent.

Parent(s) should be charged to some extent for this along with the kid. If my dog went killing sheep in the Wicklow mountains, i'd have to foot the bill...

Stop funding their familys lifestyle, if they arent working, longterm unemployed should be obliged to participate in community schemes, might give them some sense of ownership/resposibility or make them at least think twice before destroying it, that might give them some work ethic, they might find an interest and pursue it?

• Advertisement

1874 wrote: »
    Stop funding their familys lifestyle, if they arent working, longterm unemployed should be obliged to participate in community schemes, might give them some sense of ownership/resposibility or make them at least think twice before destroying it, that might give them some work ethic, they might find an interest and pursue it?

A lot of these people are incapable of holding down jobs or doing anything really. They shouldn't be having kids in the first place but you can't exactly stop that.
    It's not fair on the kids if you stop giving welfare, so that'll never happen either.
    Boot camps, cutting dole, all that stuff are just fantasy and will never happen.
    I wonder what realistic solutions might help straighten out these people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

And the sad part is scumbags are the only ones who can afford children these days . Working people can’t have anymore than 2 children with mortgage / crèche / feed / cloth / educate their family meanwhile scumbags couldn’t give a fcuk what happens the children once they get extra welfare every week

LuasSimon wrote: »
    And the sad part is scumbags are the only ones who can afford children these days . Working people can’t have anymore than 2 children with mortgage / crèche / feed / cloth / educate their family meanwhile scumbags couldn’t give a fcuk what happens the children once they get extra welfare every week

I know. Think of a the young couples who are renting AND saving for a deposit for a house.... and they look next door at the Sky dish, better car, DPD delivery everyday, weekend house parties etc... some country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

nullzero wrote: »
    What exactly can we do about it?

Stop prioritising "single" mothers for 3 bedroom houses. When your life plan is to have a couple of kids to get a house and be looked after by the government (tax payers). Everyone should have somewhere to live, but it's an absolute kick in the teeth when people who have and will never work a day in their life are given a house worth hundreds of thousands of euros right beside their new neighbours who all have to work to keep a roof over their heads.

Stay Free

A lot of these people are incapable of holding down jobs or doing anything really. They shouldn't be having kids in the first place but you can't exactly stop that.
    It's not fair on the kids if you stop giving welfare, so that'll never happen either.
    Boot camps, cutting dole, all that stuff are just fantasy and will never happen.
    I wonder what realistic solutions might help straighten out these people.

I didnt say have them fully employed, although I think there is no reason why they shouldnt comapred to others,but I understand why that wont happen.
    I said have them involved in community schemes, have a reason to get up in the morning, have shared childcare facilities so it can be ensured they are covering the basics and learning the basics, or so their kids can be minded, so they can participate in cleaning up/painting/gardening/anything to keep them occupied and maybe even like many others, some kind of ownership and part in their community and hopefully too tired to carry on at crime.
    They have free reign to carry on as they please, a home to go to, fed and a life of freedom.

Also, I didnt say stop giving welfare, if they need their lives managed for them? then that comes with conditions, I said assess what their needs are,
    shelter-check, food-have it in vouchers, have a condition of participating in community groups, that cover budgeting, economising, cooking healthy food from scratch or even out of jars rather than the relative expense (which I see as a treat for myself of ordering out), cleaning up, health related topics, basic education for life stuff.

I didnt say boot camps, but I do think commit crime and you get punished for it, if someone has been given a first sentence their "time" should be a lower level (unless its violent crime, in which case full sentence and rehab too), but have some input from people/even inmates who have rehabed, have as part of their rehab dealings with the victims side, (only if they had reached a certain stage in rehab) or they'd make a joke of it.

The do nothing option is not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

tom1ie wrote: »
    Fair enough.
    So would you say the judgments are weak if people are allowed to commit crimes, then get let out, tens of times?

I would say primarily the prison system is in a bad state if we have such recidivism. Then the sentencing should be harsher for repeat offences also. I wouldn't be blaming the defense lawyer though, their job is well defined.

Prisoners learn no new job skills and are released into the community where they previously were professional criminals and I'm guessing we don't have the resources to monitor them post release either. So they just stay in that life I guess. I'm not familiar with the parole system, do they get regular drugs tests, are their bank accounts monitored for regular income associated with a regular job etc? If not back to serve full sentence? There are lots of tools, I don't know how the Irish prison system works to be honest, would be an interesting documentary. But you are either pro capital punishment for a lot of crimes or you have to consider rehabilitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Well being a juvenile he will literally be given a talking to and asked to apologize and that will be the end of it from his and the States point of view.

And Helen McEntee wants to extend that "punishment" up to everyone under 24.

This country is so broken it's quite unbelievable.

Does this sort of thing happen a lot around the entire country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Absolute dive of an area. The IFSC is a facade for that sits amongst some very real social problems.

Plenty of scrotes about. This is not one bit surprising.

The area was left to fester for decades and then sections were sold for apartments and the like without bringing up or dealing with the area.
    It was like passing through the phantom zone when you'd be going to gigs in the early days of the Point Depot.

Does this sort of thing happen a lot around the entire country?

Close friend of mine got the **** kicked out him completely unprovoked. Gave the Gardai some of the names. They would do nothing despite plenty of CCTV.
    The crew that did it went on to kill a teenager in another unprovoked attack within a few weeks while one of them was on bail for something else. One of them took the rap, died in prison. The teenager who did most of it was still out and about and harrassing people til he got a few years for another manslaughter.
    Mother's friend's son was walking back (across the road from a shop) to a house around 2am after getting smokes. Was half pissed, thought someone had slapped him, got back to the house and everyone panicked, half his neck was slashed. Gave the Gardai the name of who it was, nothing done.
    Can think of another guy got out of prison about 8/10 years ago. Slashed 2 people a couple of days later. Was arrested, let out on bail, set fire to a house, called 999, attacked fire brigade with a machete, they put the hose on him and sorted him out for a while thankfully.

A few off the top of my head just in my town. And they're just people/incidents in my circle or within a few hundred yards of my parents' house, never mind the scumbag-on-scumbag or drugs stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Valresnick

Is there any sensible non racist / non homophobic party that supports harsh sentencing and law and order ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement