Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman stabbed near IFSC

Options

Comments

I live in a half social half private estate and the vast majority of social tenants are working. Social housing is not free.

Well of course if you are working then it stands to reason that the rent paid for social or private housing is not free even if your income is topped up by social welfare allowances.

But, if the only reason you have money in your pocket is because the state welfare department provides you with all of that money and then you give a percentage of that money to a state housing department then all you are is a go between between the two departments. It never cost you anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I worked in the IFSC for 2 years. Never a guard ever in sight, meanwhile there were scrotes doing wheelies up and down the street outside places like Bank of New York. Possibly a bike belonging to an employee of one of those establishments. People getting harassed going in and out of work was commonplace. It's an embarrassing place to work as an Irish person, especially when you have visitors from the UK or US.

Who thought putting the IFSC spitting distance from Sherriff Street without stationing a few guards around was going to be a good idea?

In fairness, there's nearly always a squad car outside Noctors, but they just seem to sit there doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

I worked in the IFSC for 2 years. Never a guard ever in sight, meanwhile there were scrotes doing wheelies up and down the street outside places like Bank of New York. Possibly a bike belonging to an employee of one of those establishments. People getting harassed going in and out of work was commonplace. It's an embarrassing place to work as an Irish person, especially when you have visitors from the UK or US.

Who thought putting the IFSC spitting distance from Sherriff Street without stationing a few guards around was going to be a good idea?

Worked just off Talbot street for a while, same story, Store Street station round the corner yet non stop trouble and guards rarely around. A constant presence needed there, but there wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

In fairness, there's nearly always a squad car outside Noctors, but they just seem to sit there doing nothing.

Ah Noctors... a fine establishment.

6f14078d9d8ed0d6995bd2187ca960f4.gif

Noctors is on Sherriff Street and not part of the IFSC. Why is there never and I do mean never any around Mayor Square which as well as various finance companies also has the National College of Ireland?

• Advertisement

Noctors is on Sherriff Street and not part of the IFSC. Why is there never and I do mean never any around Mayor Square which as well as various finance companies also has the National College of Ireland?

Well why are there never around anywhere in Ireland really? It's not specific to IFSC.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Ah Noctors... a fine establishment.

I was in it years ago, it was karaoke night lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

I don't think cracking down hard on junkies (not a nice term) solves anything. Heroin addicts need help, not batons.
    Strongly disagree.

There are two models and only two.

[1] Medicalisation which means giving them heroin
    [2] Chinese/ South East Asian style zero tolerance which means the death penalty for traffickers.

I would strongly favour option 2 but there may be something to be said for option 1.

I was in it years ago, it was karaoke night lol

Celtic Symphony on repeat aye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Well why are there never around anywhere in Ireland really? It's not specific to IFSC.

It's as if the want to avoid doing any real police work. Easier to drive around in the squad car and not have a clue what is going on in the street. They need to bring back beat walking.

• Advertisement

Strongly disagree.

There are two models and only two.

[1] Medicalisation which means giving them heroin
    [2] Chinese/ South East Asian style zero tolerance which means the death penalty for traffickers.

I would strongly favour option 2 but there may be something to be said for option 1.

Yeah well thankfully the vast majority of people in civilised societies wouldn't go anywhere near option 2.

Well I know that, but the huge amount of money that comes into the exchequer from that one small area, you would think someone in government might want to maintain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

I don't think cracking down hard on junkies (not a nice term) solves anything. Heroin addicts need help, not batons.

True, not the Gardai's job to provide addiction services but the Gardai should be in areas they hang out so that innocent people are not subjected to harassment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Well in fairness the fancy apartments are given to locals on social there too, so they should really count their blessings.

You would think. However it seems it leads to even worse social problems when something is given for very little or nothing. It brings a psychology of entitlement without repurcussion.

Just look at Island Key apartments. Lots of issues there. I'm don't think we are dealing with the issues in the area well at all. Just papering over cracks.

I've worked in financial districts globally. Anti social wouldn't be tolerated whatsoever and they would be well policed. It's terrible optics in an area that has been the real driver of our economy's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Social housing isn't free and social tenents are taxpayers just like private house dwellers.
    If you live in social housing the housing isn't free. You pay rent to the local authority.

I thought the first time you said it, you were cracking a joke. The majority of social housing tenants who take everything from the state, give nothing back to society and who make more little people who will most likely follow the same path.

There are some social tenants who for whatever reason in life were given a social dwelling by the council and who then got their sh!t together and got a decent job, leading to a higher portion of their income being paid on rent. I welcome that and I don't have a big problem with it. However, it's a hard pill to swallow when you and your partner are working your @sses off everyday to pay the mortgage and put food on the table only to have a dole scrounger move in next door and pay about 2% of what you pay from their free money.

I get the whole "greater good" argument, but there is nothing fair about it and the kids being raised by many of these dysfunctional people are not being helped when they see they don't have to work for anything....unless it's a nixer, or a crime.

Stay Free

Mimon wrote: »
    True, not the Gardai's job to provide addiction services but the Gardai should be in areas they hang out so that innocent people are not subjected to harassment etc.

Heroin junkies dont need batons, but they deserve them when they try rob or harass or attack people in broad daylight.

She's in a serious condition i just read. What kind of monster stabs a woman in her 40s? How could you be that desperate for something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

JCX BXC wrote: »
    So, nobody cares that a woman was attacked, it's about the identity politics of who did it that mattered?

It should be all about identity. A full description and photofit of the suspect should be issued to help track down the person at large.
    In a normal non snow flakier than flaky society, this is what would happen. And this is what should happen here.

She's in a serious condition i just read. What kind of monster stabs a woman in her 40s? How could you be that desperate for something?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2021/0122/1191364-dublin-witness-appeal/

the sprog of someone living off the state

Stay Free

A scummer with no accountability. Propably isnt his first crime, wont be his last.

If hes underage he will get a slap on the wrist as do all underage kids unless they kill someone.

• Advertisement

A scummer with no accountability. Propably isnt his first crime, wont be his last.

If hes underage he will get a slap on the wrist as do all underage kids unless they kill someone.

he is a teenager. see link above. they caught him

Stay Free

he is a teenager. see link above. they caught him

Well thats some good news, it says teenager but is he 17, 13, 19??? but how many people think Justice will be done?

There appears to be zero accountability for youths in Ireland.

If he is a teenager his punishment will be a harsh talking to, for sure.

If he is a teenager his punishment will be a harsh talking to, for sure.

Plus he'll get the warm blanket of anonymity.

If I get caught not paying my TV license and i get a day in court, my name goes in the paper, but a scumbag can stab a woman and remain anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

This was it in 1991? Jaysus.

Off topic, but it's the great legacy of the late Tony Gregory that we don't have to look at images like that anymore.

Well thats some good news, it says teenager but is he 17, 13, 19??? but how many people think Justice will be done?

There appears to be zero accountability for youths in Ireland.

17 or under, as it says he is a juvi. I'm not a bit surprised by this at all.

Hard life, yada yada, disadvantaged, blah blah, mental health, so fcukin what.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

If you live in social housing the housing isn't free. You pay rent to the local authority.

This comes up every single time there is a topic where social housing gets mentioned.

Based on the fact DCC can't seem to collect what's owed to them with arrears at ridiculous levels and that in the area involved a very large percent would be welfare recipients then it's essentially free housing as you are paying (if you bother) with tax payers money.

No amount of telling the world that people pay rent to the L.A. for social housing changes the above. Everyone knows that in theory the L.A. should be paid rent, until this is automatically deducted from welfare/wages it will remain something challenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

its free if the source of the rent is welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I lived in Edinburgh for a year, I can't remember any parts of the city centre that were particularly dodgy. They didn't seem to have the ring of flats/social housing around the city centre that we have in Dublin.

No it's more outside the city. Jesus cant think of the name of the place not too far from Saughton that was pretty grim.

Edit Broomhouse

• Advertisement

Here’s hoping she pulls through.

The issue of juveniles carrying knives needs to be addressed urgently. Don’t let what’s happened in London happen here too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement